Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

The meaning of life

Skeptical1
Posts: 696
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?
Skeptical1
Posts: 696
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 8:24:24 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

Correction: the last line was meant to read "are a theist".
graceofgod
Posts: 5,097
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 8:43:15 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I would say even without a faith life can have purpose, it would depend entirely on the individual, atheist invent things that improve everyone's life, atheists do charity work, atheists can be upstanding moral people, so faith and purpose are not exclusively combined...
imperialchimp
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 9:07:06 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

Honestly, I found that asking the meaning of life was rather stupid.

1) Meaning is simply subjective.
2) How would you even find the meaning to life if you haven't even completed it?

Though it is perfectly fine to find meaning in your life. It's just stupid trying to find meaning to your life.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Don't waste your time trying to find truth...you pleb!
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 9:17:04 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no the meaning of life.
Willows
Posts: 2,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 10:55:14 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

Well, that pretty much flies in the face of what theists are made to believe. Or are you about to spill a whole chain of pearls of wisdom as to what your allotted free will further explain your "no meaning of life"?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:24:26 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:43:15 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I would say even without a faith life can have purpose, it would depend entirely on the individual, atheist invent things that improve everyone's life, atheists do charity work, atheists can be upstanding moral people, so faith and purpose are not exclusively combined...

That's one of the most intelligent things you've ever said here. Bravo.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:29:04 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

We are but the mold on the skin of an orange, one of billions of oranges with the capacity to have mold. It would be like asking if there is meaning to sand simply because it eroded from rocks.

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Silly_Billy
Posts: 653
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:36:01 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

If there is no meaning to your life, than why do you live?

I am an atheist and I do have a meaning in my life, the meaning of my life is to enjoy my life and to live and that's good enough for me.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,097
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:48:09 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 2:24:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:43:15 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I would say even without a faith life can have purpose, it would depend entirely on the individual, atheist invent things that improve everyone's life, atheists do charity work, atheists can be upstanding moral people, so faith and purpose are not exclusively combined...

That's one of the most intelligent things you've ever said here. Bravo.

thank you..
Canuck
Posts: 164
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 9:27:13 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

The answer to the meaning of life (and the universe, and everything) is 42. Doesn't everyone know that by now?
But as a non-thiest I don't believe humans have any intrinsic meaning or purpose. Individuals obviously have meaning in their lives, but no collective meaning in the universe.
Fly
Posts: 2,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 10:38:27 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

The most intrinsic purposes I have yet seen are to survive and replicate-- more precisely, survive until you successfully replicate. Propagation of the species, in other words. After that, things get more personal and less intrinsic...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 1:42:58 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.

you do mean THE PURPOSE of life instead of THE MEANING.
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 1:44:04 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 2:36:01 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

If there is no meaning to your life, than why do you live?

I am an atheist and I do have a meaning in my life, the meaning of my life is to enjoy my life and to live and that's good enough for me.

it is not so called the MEANING, but rather it is the PURPOSE.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 1:32:03 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 1:42:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.

you do mean THE PURPOSE of life instead of THE MEANING.

I'll assume you believe there is a purpose for your life. This purpose then becomes the meaning for your life. Look at each word in the dictionary. The purpose for each word is to define something, to bring now a meaning to something. The meaning of the word is the purpose for the word. The word of God says we were created in His image. Our purpose then becomes to our larger destination a reflection of God. To mirror the divine virtues is our ultimate destiny, as each to each one word, we become individually tasked to come together be the story of God.
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 2:09:50 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 1:32:03 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:42:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.

you do mean THE PURPOSE of life instead of THE MEANING.

I'll assume you believe there is a purpose for your life. This purpose then becomes the meaning for your life. Look at each word in the dictionary. The purpose for each word is to define something, to bring now a meaning to something. The meaning of the word is the purpose for the word. The word of God says we were created in His image. Our purpose then becomes to our larger destination a reflection of God. To mirror the divine virtues is our ultimate destiny, as each to each one word, we become individually tasked to come together be the story of God.

According to Merriam-Webster:
MEANING is:
the idea that is represented by a word, phrase, etc.
the idea that a person wants to express by using words, signs, etc.
the idea that is expressed in a work of writing, art, etc.
significant quality; especially.

PURPOSE is:
the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something
the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something
the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do, become, etc.

so what is the meaning of life? NOTHING.
what is the purpose of life? MANY depends on one's idea.

In my point of view, the purpose of life is to reach salvation and paradise in hereafter.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 2:38:20 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 2:09:50 PM, uncung wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:32:03 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:42:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.

you do mean THE PURPOSE of life instead of THE MEANING.

I'll assume you believe there is a purpose for your life. This purpose then becomes the meaning for your life. Look at each word in the dictionary. The purpose for each word is to define something, to bring now a meaning to something. The meaning of the word is the purpose for the word. The word of God says we were created in His image. Our purpose then becomes to our larger destination a reflection of God. To mirror the divine virtues is our ultimate destiny, as each to each one word, we become individually tasked to come together be the story of God.

According to Merriam-Webster:
MEANING is:
the idea that is represented by a word, phrase, etc.
the idea that a person wants to express by using words, signs, etc.
the idea that is expressed in a work of writing, art, etc.
significant quality; especially.

PURPOSE is:
the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something
the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something
the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do, become, etc.

so what is the meaning of life? NOTHING.
what is the purpose of life? MANY depends on one's idea.

In my point of view, the purpose of life is to reach salvation and paradise in hereafter.

Would you say this becomes the meaning to the purpose of your life?
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 4:36:42 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 2:38:20 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:09:50 PM, uncung wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:32:03 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:42:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.

you do mean THE PURPOSE of life instead of THE MEANING.

I'll assume you believe there is a purpose for your life. This purpose then becomes the meaning for your life. Look at each word in the dictionary. The purpose for each word is to define something, to bring now a meaning to something. The meaning of the word is the purpose for the word. The word of God says we were created in His image. Our purpose then becomes to our larger destination a reflection of God. To mirror the divine virtues is our ultimate destiny, as each to each one word, we become individually tasked to come together be the story of God.

According to Merriam-Webster:
MEANING is:
the idea that is represented by a word, phrase, etc.
the idea that a person wants to express by using words, signs, etc.
the idea that is expressed in a work of writing, art, etc.
significant quality; especially.

PURPOSE is:
the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something
the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something
the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do, become, etc.

so what is the meaning of life? NOTHING.
what is the purpose of life? MANY depends on one's idea.

In my point of view, the purpose of life is to reach salvation and paradise in hereafter.

Would you say this becomes the meaning to the purpose of your life?

it is merely a semantic per se.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 8:09:52 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 4:36:42 PM, uncung wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:38:20 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:09:50 PM, uncung wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:32:03 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:42:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 11:04:49 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/16/2016 9:13:45 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

If you are not a theist, is your take on the reason for human existence something similar to the above, or something else?

I am a theist. There is no meaning of life.

"what if God deliberately creates diseases, war, and all sort of inconvenient stuff? and He let us to deal with these all stuff regardless our ability to overcome them?" - uncung

This statement that you recently made in another thread suggest the purpose for our lives might be to overcome our struggles of life. To live to learn to expand our capacities for the love of life, is to then rise above the challenges that hinder our lives. The meaning of life then becomes an appreciation for life, to nurture life, protecting life through an armory of innate virtues that exist within all of us.

you do mean THE PURPOSE of life instead of THE MEANING.

I'll assume you believe there is a purpose for your life. This purpose then becomes the meaning for your life. Look at each word in the dictionary. The purpose for each word is to define something, to bring now a meaning to something. The meaning of the word is the purpose for the word. The word of God says we were created in His image. Our purpose then becomes to our larger destination a reflection of God. To mirror the divine virtues is our ultimate destiny, as each to each one word, we become individually tasked to come together be the story of God.

According to Merriam-Webster:
MEANING is:
the idea that is represented by a word, phrase, etc.
the idea that a person wants to express by using words, signs, etc.
the idea that is expressed in a work of writing, art, etc.
significant quality; especially.

PURPOSE is:
the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something
the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something
the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do, become, etc.

so what is the meaning of life? NOTHING.
what is the purpose of life? MANY depends on one's idea.

In my point of view, the purpose of life is to reach salvation and paradise in hereafter.

Would you say this becomes the meaning to the purpose of your life?

it is merely a semantic per se.

What does that mean? It sounds like you're suggesting the meaning of life is the same as the purpose for life. Yet you say life has no meaning, therefore its purpose becomes nonexistent.
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 8:53:08 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/16/2016 8:22:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
It has been suggested in another thread that if God doesn't exist, humans have no inherent purpose or value. It was only a part of the thread, so I thought rather than hijack, I'd open the question up for discussion here.

I don't believe in God, and I don't have any problem with the conclusion drawn in the preceding statement. I don't see any intrinsic purpose to my life, other than what I can make of it.

Also, it seems to me if (as a number of theists claim) the purpose of human life is to glorify God and enjoy him forever (from the Westminster Shorter Catechism), I would really resent that, if I believed. Not to mention it seems to cast a rather narcissistic light on God's character as the creator of life.

It's not particularly logical, nor productive, to apply the value criteria of one philosophy of being, to another philosophy of being. As each will produce their own criteria for value assessment.

My questions are:

If you are also a non-theist, do you find some intrinsic meaning in human existence? If so, what is it, and how do you arrive at it?

I am both philosophically agnostic, and theist, by choice. I ascribe meaning and purpose to life and humanity by presuming them to be expressions of a Divine State of Being called "God". And I do so because I want to. It results in an improved life experience. I also do so because I can. As there is no significant evidence to the contrary.