Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

We Are Far Too Complicated

Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.
Silly_Billy
Posts: 647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
uncung
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 1:18:47 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

Praise be upon God the great Creator ever.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,352
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 1:58:35 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
So the consequence of coincidence becomes now the simplification of complication. Mathematics. Numerical accidents marching infinitely in coincidental harmony, to a final destination unknown. Not likely.
Silly_Billy
Posts: 647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 2:15:05 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 1:58:35 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
So the consequence of coincidence becomes now the simplification of complication. Mathematics. Numerical accidents marching infinitely in coincidental harmony, to a final destination unknown. Not likely.

More likely than a cryptic God with a hidden agenda with dozens of religions that each contradict one another based upon the scrambling of holy prophets which today would have all been locked away into lunatic asylums and whose visions on how the universe came to be have now all been exposed to be holly inaccurate (but let's not let that spoil the fun and just keep on believing what they said anyway).
Canuck
Posts: 164
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 2:25:28 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.

+1
(Except change "evolutionist" to "creationist", which I'm sure is what was intended).

Complexity in and of itself isn't a convincing argument either for or against a creator. But just by looking at the universe I think it should be obvious it wasn't created with humans intended as a primary or important component.
keithprosser
Posts: 2,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 2:29:18 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
If you look at a knee joint or an elbow, it doesn't work on any miraculous principle - they are mechanical systems of levers and pulleys. Gas exchange in the lungs is similarly based on ordinary chemistry, not any magical process. And so on for all that goes on in a living thing.

If God created living things, then he eschewed the convenience of using miracles in their operation. I draw no conclusion from that - readers can draw their own!
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,352
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 3:07:54 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

Agreed, it's a good thing that our understanding of evolution shows it was no accident, that would be illogical.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Silly_Billy
Posts: 647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 3:16:37 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

Anyone thinking that therefore a God must exist and that the will of God is known because a few people about 2000 to 3000 years ago wrote a book about their delusions, marketed it as the one and only religion and called it "the absolute truth", well... any person like that can not be thinking logical either.

The universe consists of cause and effect, we know this because we can see this all around us and an individual life is the accumulation of a humongous string of coincidences which are all chained together to make up the story of an individuals' life and even if there is a God, this would still be true for if God had his hands on the every individuals' string, then there would no longer be such a thing a free choice as everything would have to have been preordained no matter what choice one makes. It would mean that everyone has been set up from the start and that going through life is just going through the motions as it wouldn't mean a bloody thing for God is on the strings, and we would be the puppets with dilusions of free choices where no free choices exist.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.
Silly_Billy
Posts: 647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 7:54:34 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.

You know, that is EXACTLY the sort of response that a 15th century scientist would have had if someone had claimed that we would one day be able to take all the books from all the libraries in the whole wider world and to put all that text on a small stick not larger than his smallest finger.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 9:20:43 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.

The reason I initiated the thread was to make a tongue in cheek stab at the baseless argument commonly made by theists. But you are right, it is not a very valid argument either way.

But when you think about it, though, logically, something so bizarre and complex as life is indicative of building and becoming more and more complex over a heck of a long time. And haven't we got about 3.5 billion years to play with here?
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 9:24:49 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

The old strawman "accident" word again.....you must have it listed in the favorites section of your spellchecker.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 8:27:17 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.

Hey, I'm just saying how it could be a possibility, within the confines of philosophical debate. By definition, a god would have to be the most complex thing in all of existence. There couldn't be anything more complex. This complex being could have guided evolution. Now, we fall into the problem of an infinite regression- who created the creator? Logically, the creator has no creator, due to it being the most complex being in existence- however, the creator must have a creator due to the rules of causality. So, we have a contradiction. Now, I'm an atheist- but I really don't like weak arguments posed by other atheists, at it undermines my position. There are dozens of good arguments as to why theism and evolution don't mix- but the one you posed is a terrible one.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 8:37:13 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 9:20:43 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.

The reason I initiated the thread was to make a tongue in cheek stab at the baseless argument commonly made by theists. But you are right, it is not a very valid argument either way.

But when you think about it, though, logically, something so bizarre and complex as life is indicative of building and becoming more and more complex over a heck of a long time. And haven't we got about 3.5 billion years to play with here?

Nonsense. Living systems depend on multiple interdependent systems. They couldn't gradually evolve. 3. 5 billions years or not.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 8:43:27 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 9:24:49 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

The old strawman "accident" word again.....you must have it listed in the favorites section of your spellchecker.

Then you dont think mutations are accidents?
Silly_Billy
Posts: 647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 8:48:12 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:27:17 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.

Hey, I'm just saying how it could be a possibility, within the confines of philosophical debate. By definition, a god would have to be the most complex thing in all of existence. There couldn't be anything more complex. This complex being could have guided evolution. Now, we fall into the problem of an infinite regression- who created the creator? Logically, the creator has no creator, due to it being the most complex being in existence- however, the creator must have a creator due to the rules of causality. So, we have a contradiction. Now, I'm an atheist- but I really don't like weak arguments posed by other atheists, at it undermines my position. There are dozens of good arguments as to why theism and evolution don't mix- but the one you posed is a terrible one.

Well.... to play devil's advocate... a God could emerge through the process of evolution which would not require another creator to have created him. Having evolved into a God however, he could in theory have created the universe and all life as we know it through the proces of creationism.

I know it is a bit farfeched but HEY... i'm Silly Billy.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 4:35:07 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:43:27 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/18/2016 9:24:49 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

The old strawman "accident" word again.....you must have it listed in the favorites section of your spellchecker.

Then you dont think mutations are accidents?

That's right. There is a definite reason for genetic mutations from happening and it has to with the laws of mathematics, physics, and chemistry.

The word "accident" is commonly used by theists to decry anything to do with evolution.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 4:44:09 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 4:35:07 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:43:27 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/18/2016 9:24:49 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

The old strawman "accident" word again.....you must have it listed in the favorites section of your spellchecker.

Then you dont think mutations are accidents?

That's right. There is a definite reason for genetic mutations from happening and it has to with the laws of mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
Ok, now explain that reason in detail please.

The word "accident" is commonly used by theists to decry anything to do with evolution.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 5:29:45 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:37:13 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 10/18/2016 9:20:43 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.

The reason I initiated the thread was to make a tongue in cheek stab at the baseless argument commonly made by theists. But you are right, it is not a very valid argument either way.

But when you think about it, though, logically, something so bizarre and complex as life is indicative of building and becoming more and more complex over a heck of a long time. And haven't we got about 3.5 billion years to play with here?

Nonsense. Living systems depend on multiple interdependent systems. They couldn't gradually evolve. 3. 5 billions years or not.

When I see "interdependent systems", the alarm bells ring. You might do well to verify the validity of the information from where you learnt that term and the motivation of the writers. It is not a matter of "couldn't", it did.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 5:34:33 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:27:17 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.

Hey, I'm just saying how it could be a possibility, within the confines of philosophical debate. By definition, a god would have to be the most complex thing in all of existence. There couldn't be anything more complex. This complex being could have guided evolution. Now, we fall into the problem of an infinite regression- who created the creator? Logically, the creator has no creator, due to it being the most complex being in existence- however, the creator must have a creator due to the rules of causality. So, we have a contradiction. Now, I'm an atheist- but I really don't like weak arguments posed by other atheists, at it undermines my position. There are dozens of good arguments as to why theism and evolution don't mix- but the one you posed is a terrible one.

Says you who just posted the most convoluted, speculative tripe I have ever seen.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 9:24:28 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 4:44:09 AM, janesix wrote:
At 10/21/2016 4:35:07 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:43:27 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/18/2016 9:24:49 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 2:54:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Anyone suggesting trillions coincidences can all line up accidentally is not thinking logically.

The old strawman "accident" word again.....you must have it listed in the favorites section of your spellchecker.

Then you dont think mutations are accidents?

That's right. There is a definite reason for genetic mutations from happening and it has to with the laws of mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
Ok, now explain that reason in detail please.

The word "accident" is commonly used by theists to decry anything to do with evolution.

OK, I think we are on the same page on this one, after looking at your debate on the subject with interest.
Without mutation, we would lack variation, one of the key elements of natural selection.
Pase66
Posts: 775
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:20:00 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 5:34:33 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:27:17 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.

Hey, I'm just saying how it could be a possibility, within the confines of philosophical debate. By definition, a god would have to be the most complex thing in all of existence. There couldn't be anything more complex. This complex being could have guided evolution. Now, we fall into the problem of an infinite regression- who created the creator? Logically, the creator has no creator, due to it being the most complex being in existence- however, the creator must have a creator due to the rules of causality. So, we have a contradiction. Now, I'm an atheist- but I really don't like weak arguments posed by other atheists, at it undermines my position. There are dozens of good arguments as to why theism and evolution don't mix- but the one you posed is a terrible one.

Says you who just posted the most convoluted, speculative tripe I have ever seen.

Alright, I guess this conversation is over. Nice talk :)
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 3:23:20 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 4:20:00 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/21/2016 5:34:33 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:27:17 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 7:07:54 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 1:02:11 PM, Pase66 wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I'm not a theist, but I think that the most powerful being in all of existence could easily create a human being...

But why and how?

If the "most powerful being in all existence" made such a complex life form then that being would have to be even more complex and would have to have been created.

A short course in biology would answer any doubts about "complexity", it is not to difficult to grasp.

"I am not a theist, but".......pull the other one.

Hey, I'm just saying how it could be a possibility, within the confines of philosophical debate. By definition, a god would have to be the most complex thing in all of existence. There couldn't be anything more complex. This complex being could have guided evolution. Now, we fall into the problem of an infinite regression- who created the creator? Logically, the creator has no creator, due to it being the most complex being in existence- however, the creator must have a creator due to the rules of causality. So, we have a contradiction. Now, I'm an atheist- but I really don't like weak arguments posed by other atheists, at it undermines my position. There are dozens of good arguments as to why theism and evolution don't mix- but the one you posed is a terrible one.

Says you who just posted the most convoluted, speculative tripe I have ever seen.

Alright, I guess this conversation is over. Nice talk :)

OK, you back to sitting on your fence and we'll see which side you fall on next.
Looncall
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 10:13:29 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 8:37:13 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 10/18/2016 9:20:43 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.

The reason I initiated the thread was to make a tongue in cheek stab at the baseless argument commonly made by theists. But you are right, it is not a very valid argument either way.

But when you think about it, though, logically, something so bizarre and complex as life is indicative of building and becoming more and more complex over a heck of a long time. And haven't we got about 3.5 billion years to play with here?

Nonsense. Living systems depend on multiple interdependent systems. They couldn't gradually evolve. 3. 5 billions years or not.

Why couldn't they? After all, no sane person thinks that current organisms reached their current forms all in one go.

Please be careful not to be duped by scoundrels.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:01:44 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 10:13:29 AM, Looncall wrote:
At 10/20/2016 8:37:13 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 10/18/2016 9:20:43 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:50:10 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 10/17/2016 12:30:32 PM, Willows wrote:
Let's face it, human beings are far too biologically complicated to have been created.
Would anyone in their right mind believe that some sort of "creator" could:
meticulously join together 32 trillion cells in sequence,
comprising 160,000 km of veins,
100 billion brain cells and
5 million hair follicles
to manufacture a human body in one day?

You would have to be absolutely off your rocker to believe that something so complex could have been created.

I do not believe in the creation myth myself and I actually do think that evolution is the reason how we all came to be but I got a feeling that the evolutionists will say in return that we are are far too biologically complicated to have evolved ;)

In other words, being biologically complicated is not an argument to either in favour or against evolution/creationism.

The reason I initiated the thread was to make a tongue in cheek stab at the baseless argument commonly made by theists. But you are right, it is not a very valid argument either way.

But when you think about it, though, logically, something so bizarre and complex as life is indicative of building and becoming more and more complex over a heck of a long time. And haven't we got about 3.5 billion years to play with here?

Nonsense. Living systems depend on multiple interdependent systems. They couldn't gradually evolve. 3. 5 billions years or not.


Why couldn't they? After all, no sane person thinks that current organisms reached their current forms all in one go.

Please be careful not to be duped by scoundrels.

It seems to me that theists tend to get stuck in some sort of false comfort zone, content with thinking that nobody can challenge the lame idea that life is too complex not to have been created.
Each human being starts off as a single cell and evolves (after the formation of an egg) over nine months into a being and continues to evolve after that.

Wherever you go, evolution is taking place and it is the stupid and ignorant amongst us that will still refuse to see the wood for the trees.
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 2:24:00 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
If the most complex thing in the known universe (the human brain) was not created, then I can't believe that all the complex contrivances created by the most complex thing known, were created.