Jump to topic:

Positive vs Negative assertions

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 9:43:15 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
I feel the need to educate some of you on the difference between positive and negative assertions, as a result of a recent thread I was in where a person made the positive assertion God does not exist, and seemed to be completely unaware of what a positive assertion even was, so he proceeded to deny it. http://www.debate.org...

In logic there are things known as positive and negative assertions. A positive assertion is a conclusive statement made about something. Here are some examples:

"The car is red"

"God is real"

"God does not exist"

All of these statements make a conclusive statement so in logic they would be considered a positive assertion, and as such require what is known as premises to prove them. A premise is an argument made where your conclusion naturally follows. (to put it simply). So for example if I state God is real, the premises may look like this. (this is known as a syllogism, maybe I will teach you that at a future point)

premise 1- A fine tuned Universe would mean a God

premise 2- The Universe is fine tuned

Conclusion- God exists

The positive assertion that God is not real may require an argument that looks as follows.

premise 1- If God were real he would not allow bad things to happen.

premise 2- Bad things happen

Conclusion- God is not real

All positive assertions when challenged, should be met with premises, and the premises should typically be described in more detail than what I did there.

A negative assertion is one that does not contain a conclusive statement. For example the following statements may be considered a negative assertion'

"I do not believe there is a God"

"I do not believe the car is red"

These are negative assertions, they do not require any evidence or premises, however if those sentences are changed to the following, we get a different result.

"I believe there is no God"

"I think the car is something other than red"

Now the negative assertions have been turned into positive assertions and require evidence.

Just something to keep in mind guys. Nobody when making a positive assertion should refuse to provide evidence if challenged on it. If you can't provide evidence for your positive assertion, then you should quickly apologize for making one, instead of embarrassing yourself and claiming you didn't when you wrote it in plain english.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 10:16:59 AM
At 10/18/2016 9:43:15 AM, Wylted wrote:
I feel the need to educate some of you on the difference between positive and negative assertions, as a result of a recent thread I was in where a person made the positive assertion God does not exist, and seemed to be completely unaware of what a positive assertion even was, so he proceeded to deny it. http://www.debate.org...

In logic there are things known as positive and negative assertions. A positive assertion is a conclusive statement made about something. Here are some examples:

"The car is red"

"God is real"

"God does not exist"

All of these statements make a conclusive statement so in logic they would be considered a positive assertion, and as such require what is known as premises to prove them. A premise is an argument made where your conclusion naturally follows. (to put it simply). So for example if I state God is real, the premises may look like this. (this is known as a syllogism, maybe I will teach you that at a future point)

premise 1- A fine tuned Universe would mean a God

premise 2- The Universe is fine tuned

Conclusion- God exists

The positive assertion that God is not real may require an argument that looks as follows.

premise 1- If God were real he would not allow bad things to happen.

premise 2- Bad things happen

Conclusion- God is not real

All positive assertions when challenged, should be met with premises, and the premises should typically be described in more detail than what I did there.

A negative assertion is one that does not contain a conclusive statement. For example the following statements may be considered a negative assertion'

"I do not believe there is a God"

"I do not believe the car is red"

These are negative assertions, they do not require any evidence or premises, however if those sentences are changed to the following, we get a different result.

"I believe there is no God"

"I think the car is something other than red"

Now the negative assertions have been turned into positive assertions and require evidence.

Just something to keep in mind guys. Nobody when making a positive assertion should refuse to provide evidence if challenged on it. If you can't provide evidence for your positive assertion, then you should quickly apologize for making one, instead of embarrassing yourself and claiming you didn't when you wrote it in plain english.

And would know would you? LOL!
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:06:57 PM
At 10/18/2016 1:41:58 PM, Wylted wrote:

That string of words is nonsensical, and displays a low IQ

Good grief, I hope mine isn't as low as yours appears to be, LOL!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:10:21 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:06:57 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 10/18/2016 1:41:58 PM, Wylted wrote:

That string of words is nonsensical, and displays a low IQ

Good grief, I hope mine isn't as low as yours appears to be, LOL!

So you stand by the nonsensical statement "And would know would you?LOL!

You actually think sentences start with and or that those words combined have clear meaning of some sort?

Wow you are stupid. Seriously go find a reliable online IQ test and take it right now, and when it shows you are below average IQ. please leave the site and go to one more suitable for you. Oh, you probably won't actually take one though, because you are aware you have a low IQ, and seeing the results of an IQ test would hurt your fragile ego.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:30:02 PM
I feel the need to educate some of you

"I do not believe there is a god."
"I believe that there is no god."

These sentences are similar to the previous pair. The first is a negative assertion, as the negation is not part of the assertion. The second is a positive assertion described negatively, as the negation is part of the assertion.

A negative assertion is a positive assertion that has been negated.

Religion requires positive assertion. Atheism is a negative assertion on the subject of religion. Therefore atheism is not a religion. Why? Because a negative assertion is essentially a void. Negative assertions are the default state, as they are passive. Negative assertions require no proof, no maintenance, hence they are true whether or not you explicitly state them.

http://atheismnetwork.org...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:36:03 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:30:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

These sentences are similar to the previous pair. The first is a negative assertion, as the negation is not part of the assertion. The second is a positive assertion described negatively, as the negation is part of the assertion.

Religion requires positive assertion. Atheism is a negative assertion on the subject of religion. Therefore atheism is not a religion. Why? Because a negative assertion is essentially a void. Negative assertions are the default state, as they are passive. Negative assertions require no proof, no maintenance, hence they are true whether or not you explicitly state them.

This is true and does not contradict anything I said, but thanks for making a pointless post
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:41:01 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:36:03 PM, Wylted wrote:

This is true and does not contradict anything I said, but thanks for making a pointless post

You've just been schooled in negative assertions. You're welcome.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:43:01 AM
At 10/18/2016 2:41:01 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Not really, I described them in my post, but you retardedly stated the same thing, because you have no reading comprehension skills
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:36:51 PM
At 10/19/2016 1:43:01 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:41:01 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Not really, I described them in my post, but you retardedly stated the same thing, because you have no reading comprehension skills

Obviously, you didn't discuss it as this thread would indicate considering you don't understand this fact...

"Because a negative assertion is essentially a void. Negative assertions are the default state, as they are passive. Negative assertions require no proof, no maintenance, hence they are true whether or not you explicitly state them."