Jump to topic:

What is a Rhetorical Question?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:30:49 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
That question was rhetorical. I know the answer, but you guys need it explained to you because you are low IQ. It is the reason that brain dead threads like this http://www.debate.org... are extremely popular, while threads you guys can learn from like this http://www.debate.org... are ignored. I assume this thread will be ignored despite the fact most of you do not know what a rhetorical question is. You would rather act like monkeys slinging poop than learn an important concept you have never heard of before.

The reason this thread has popped up, is because some of you have asked rhetorical questions and when what the rhetorical question implies is attacked, have been too stupid to realize you had made a rhetorical question and proceed to claim the question was not rhetorical. This thread displays the stupidity in action http://www.debate.org...

We'll break down that specific rhetorical question in a minute, but first let us define rhetorical question.

A rhetorical question is a question that you ask without expecting an answer. The question might be one that does not have an answer. It might also be one that has an obvious answer but you have asked the question to make a point, to persuade or for literary effect. examples.yourdictionary.com/rhetorical-question-examples.html

In the thread linked to

Grace of God says "it worked for someone in a wheelchair.." (referring to the power of prayer)

DanielleJeRusse says: "Did it work for all people in wheelchairs or just one person?"

This is a question where the answer is obvious, so we know it is rhetorical. Danielle has a low IQ and that is why he worded the question badly, but it is a rhetorical one. In his mind the answer is one, so he is trying to imply a point by asking the question.

It is clear he was implying that prayer does not work because it did not work for all people, but just one person in a wheelchair.

The only way the rhetorical question does not expect an answer and is just used for rhetorical effect. Unless Daniel honestly does not know the answer and it was a legitimate question, He certainly has a low IQ, so him not knowing the answer is possible, but I give him an IQ of 65, which means he is smart enough to know what he expected the answer to be, but not smart enough to know what a rhetorical question is.

He is clearly implying in the rhetorical question that because prayer does not work in 100% of situations, it doesn't work at all, or that when it does work it is a fluke, but this is stupid . Nothing really works 100% of the time, so his premise doesn't work, when pointed out that the premise he implied in the rhetorical question does not work DanielJeRusse of course does not know the definition of a rhetorical question or that rhetorical questions by their nature imply things, otherwise they would not be rhetorical. So when shown that his premise did not work Daniel stated that, that was not his premise.

So hopefully this thread has helped him as well as the rest of you retards 90% of the people in this section, know the definition of a rhetorical question, and that rhetorical questions by their very nature imply things.
Canuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:57:30 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:30:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
That question was rhetorical. I know the answer, but you guys need it explained to you because you are low IQ. It is the reason that brain dead threads like this http://www.debate.org... are extremely popular, while threads you guys can learn from like this http://www.debate.org... are ignored. I assume this thread will be ignored despite the fact most of you do not know what a rhetorical question is. You would rather act like monkeys slinging poop than learn an important concept you have never heard of before.

The reason this thread has popped up, is because some of you have asked rhetorical questions and when what the rhetorical question implies is attacked, have been too stupid to realize you had made a rhetorical question and proceed to claim the question was not rhetorical. This thread displays the stupidity in action http://www.debate.org...

Just to clarify: "help me pray for the New York Giants!!" is not a question, so obviously can't be a rhetorical question.
You're welcome.

We'll break down that specific rhetorical question in a minute, but first let us define rhetorical question.

A rhetorical question is a question that you ask without expecting an answer. The question might be one that does not have an answer. It might also be one that has an obvious answer but you have asked the question to make a point, to persuade or for literary effect. examples.yourdictionary.com/rhetorical-question-examples.html

In the thread linked to

Grace of God says "it worked for someone in a wheelchair.." (referring to the power of prayer)

DanielleJeRusse says: "Did it work for all people in wheelchairs or just one person?"

This is a question where the answer is obvious, so we know it is rhetorical. Danielle has a low IQ and that is why he worded the question badly, but it is a rhetorical one. In his mind the answer is one, so he is trying to imply a point by asking the question.

It is clear he was implying that prayer does not work because it did not work for all people, but just one person in a wheelchair.

The only way the rhetorical question does not expect an answer and is just used for rhetorical effect. Unless Daniel honestly does not know the answer and it was a legitimate question, He certainly has a low IQ, so him not knowing the answer is possible, but I give him an IQ of 65, which means he is smart enough to know what he expected the answer to be, but not smart enough to know what a rhetorical question is.

He is clearly implying in the rhetorical question that because prayer does not work in 100% of situations, it doesn't work at all, or that when it does work it is a fluke, but this is stupid . Nothing really works 100% of the time, so his premise doesn't work, when pointed out that the premise he implied in the rhetorical question does not work DanielJeRusse of course does not know the definition of a rhetorical question or that rhetorical questions by their nature imply things, otherwise they would not be rhetorical. So when shown that his premise did not work Daniel stated that, that was not his premise.

So hopefully this thread has helped him as well as the rest of you retards 90% of the people in this section, know the definition of a rhetorical question, and that rhetorical questions by their very nature imply things.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:19:41 PM
Wylted - the white supremist, theist. If he isn't posting on behalf of God, he's posting for the KKK. What an interesting mesh of racist faith, preached from the low altitudes of intellectual, arrogant satanism. He's smart. You're stupid.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:32:02 AM

In the thread linked to

If the standard for intellect and intelligence is wilted, then we are all doomed.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:44:28 AM

Just to clarify: "help me pray for the New York Giants!!" is not a question, so obviously can't be a rhetorical question.
You're welcome.

okay idiot, reread the post, I specifically highlighted the question, and it was not that statement.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:03:52 AM
At 10/19/2016 1:44:28 AM, Wylted wrote:

You're welcome.

okay idiot, reread the post, I specifically highlighted the question, and it was not that statement.

You might want to be careful about what you post :/
Meh!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:06:12 AM
At 10/19/2016 2:03:52 AM, Axonly wrote:

You're welcome.

The worst that can happen is I get banned, and I honestly don't care that much, but you're right. I was wrong to call him an idiot and should have refrained.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:07:44 AM
At 10/19/2016 2:06:12 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/19/2016 2:03:52 AM, Axonly wrote:

You're welcome.

The worst that can happen is I get banned, and I honestly don't care that much, but you're right. I was wrong to call him an idiot and should have refrained.

Well, the fact that you're willing to admit it was a mistake reveals a higher level of maturity.
Meh!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:19:59 AM

He is clearly implying in the rhetorical question that because prayer does not work in 100% of situations, it doesn't work at all, or that when it does work it is a fluke, but this is stupid.

I fail to see what is stupid about it. Experiments have been done on the efficacy of prayer and they have shown no significant effect.

Nothing really works 100% of the time, so his premise doesn't work, ...

Gravity works 100% of the time. Are you suggesting that (a perfect) God is hit or miss? If so, how do you distinguish a God effect from a natural recovery of damaged nerves and tissues?
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:25:28 AM
That question was rhetorical. I know the answer, but you guys need it explained to you because you are low IQ. It is the reason that brain dead threads like this http://www.debate.org... are extremely popular, while threads you guys can learn from like this http://www.debate.org... are ignored.

Debating about the existence of God is far more fun than discussing positive vs. negative assertions. Such a thread belongs in some dusty corner of the philosophy forum. You made a good point in that thread, it just wasn't very interesting and didn't have much room for discussion in the same way a thread about the existence of God does.

I assume this thread will be ignored despite the fact most of you do not know what a rhetorical question is. You would rather act like monkeys slinging poop than learn an important concept you have never heard of before.

So you think that engaging in a thread about the existence of God is like monkeys slinging poop? Do you hate talking about God or something? So smart people only like to post in very boring threads like yours? Smart people like fun threads too.

In the thread linked to

By the way faith healing has been debunked on so many levels. There are fraudsters who pretend like they have healing powers and pretend to heal people of all sorts of stuff for a lot of money. For example many people in wheel chairs are not completely unable to walk by themselves and in short periods of excitement they often can and many fake faith healers have taken advantage of this.

Where exactly is this question worded badly? Before you call someone stupid you need an example of such behavior first obviously.

How can you possibly know the IQ or a completely stranger from a few internet posts? An IQ that low leans that he has mental retardation. He would not be able to function in a forum like this much less gain a very good reputation and win a lot of debates.

He is clearly implying in the rhetorical question that because prayer does not work in 100% of situations, it doesn't work at all, or that when it does work it is a fluke, but this is stupid . Nothing really works 100% of the time, so his premise doesn't work,

The point he is making is that if God really cares about healing the crippled he would have done it for a lot more people. If you had this ability wouldn't you have a responsibility to help? God is definitely capable of making it work 100% of the time or at least more than the few times cripples supposedly get healed so your counter-argument simply doesn't work.

A better counter-argument is that God put us in this world to test us and that we can only grow with challenges which is why he doesn't save us from all our problems. Instead you used a greatly inferior argument.

when pointed out that the premise he implied in the rhetorical question does not work DanielJeRusse of course does not know the definition of a rhetorical question or that rhetorical questions by their nature imply things, otherwise they would not be rhetorical. So when shown that his premise did not work Daniel stated that, that was not his premise.

Give me an example where he denied this was a rhetorical question. I think you are confusing a rejection of your weak counter-argument with a denial that he was using rhetorical question. You also seem to be implying that using a rhetorical question is a weakness to his arguments when it really demonstrates a very thought provoking argument I mentioned earlier.

By the way you insult people, make ridiculous arguments, and try to play a mentor role to strangers on the internet who are refuting you, it is obvious you are unintelligent, narcissistic, and immature.

Your defense of racism on this forum is good reason to believe not everything is all there upstairs.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:29:51 AM

In the thread linked to

If you want a higher level of intellectual engagement, insulting everyone on the forum in a condescending tone is hardly the way to go about it.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 8:01:33 AM

In the thread linked to

So your butthurt that the people point out how prayer doesn't work ?

Is that question rhetorical ?

Is this one ?