Jump to topic:

The moment you realized god doesnt exist

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 10:26:29 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
It seems that most atheists were once believers. I would like to hear about your experience of the moment when you realized that god doesnt exist. Im sure there was a period of doubt leading up to your realization. But surely there was a moment when it finally clicked into place. What was the final straw? What did it feel like? Was it liberating? Traumatic? How old were you?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 11:02:35 PM
At 10/18/2016 10:26:29 PM, janesix wrote:
It seems that most atheists were once believers. I would like to hear about your experience of the moment when you realized that god doesnt exist. Im sure there was a period of doubt leading up to your realization. But surely there was a moment when it finally clicked into place. What was the final straw? What did it feel like? Was it liberating? Traumatic? How old were you?

I can't say what exactly was the breaking point, but with loss of faith came anger and a sense of being betrayed by those I trusted.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 8:34:20 AM
At 10/18/2016 11:02:35 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I can't say what exactly was the breaking point, but with loss of faith came anger and a sense of being betrayed by those I trusted.

Exactly what happens with most atheists who have been palmed off with utter nonsense and lies by religious authorities. I choose the word lies because these morons are perfectly aware of what they are doing is totally contrived and to benefit their own ends.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 10:23:18 AM

I became a 'born again' when I was eleven, after having been force fed that dogma since birth! But the doubts gradually grew and grew throughout my teenage years, until I realised that the faith of my childhood had no credibility. By the time I was 19 and married in 1969, I had lost it, what a RELIEF!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 10:57:59 AM
It wasn't an epiphany it just gradually became obvious just how stupid the stories were. That the invention of an afterlife and the gods needed for it's existence was the result of the grief felt by our "caveman" ancestors when their loved ones, children, died.
The incredibly stupid concept of an all knowing all powerful god getting absolutely everything wrong and needing to rectify those mistakes in another life after the first one he screwed up is incredibly absurd.
The idea that this incompetent dolt would create billions upon billions of "souls" for the express purpose of torturing them for eternity is something not even Edgar Alan Poe would invent.
The proposers of these pieces of nonsense are obviously insane.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 11:03:48 AM

what faith did you follow if I may ask...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:20:44 PM
At 10/19/2016 11:03:48 AM, graceofgod wrote:

Started Baptist ended with Episcopalian/Anglican.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:22:41 PM
At 10/19/2016 12:20:44 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

no worries, didn't use the Holy Spirit then, he is the teacher, without religion is rife...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:27:53 PM
At 10/19/2016 8:34:20 AM, Willows wrote:

Exactly what happens with most atheists who have been palmed off with utter nonsense and lies by religious authorities. I choose the word lies because these morons are perfectly aware of what they are doing is totally contrived and to benefit their own ends.

I disagree. No one intentionally deceived me.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:31:15 PM
At 10/19/2016 12:22:41 PM, graceofgod wrote:

no worries, didn't use the Holy Spirit then, he is the teacher, without religion is rife...

Get out of here with your "you weren't a real Christian" bullish*t.

ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:58:37 PM

It seems that most atheists were once believers. I would like to hear about your experience of the moment when you realized that god doesnt exist. Im sure there was a period of doubt leading up to your realization. But surely there was a moment when it finally clicked into place.

I remember the moment I realized God did exist.

What was the final straw?

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Jhn 14:18

He came to me.

What did it feel like?

First, it was horrible, because for the first time I saw myself in His glorious light, and all my yuck was plain to see. I wanted to jump out of my very skin in disgust.

But then His love flooded over all my guilt and shame, and I was floating in a sea of perfect love. It was wondrous beyond words. He is more beautiful than be conveyed in human thought.

Was it liberating?

Yes! The Son set me free. I was finally free from the curse of sin and death. I had no more guilt, no more shame, and mercy, no more condemnation.

Traumatic?

Yes, but in a wholly positive sense.

How old were you?

Sorry Jane,

"But if I say, "I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot. Jer 20:9
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:05:40 PM

What is it about post# 5 that scares you so?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:19:16 PM
At 10/19/2016 12:31:15 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I didn't say that neither the baptists or the anglicans are big in the gifts of the spirit, which is important to new testament believers..
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:48:20 PM
At 10/19/2016 12:27:53 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yet they betrayed you?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 1:50:53 PM
At 10/19/2016 1:19:16 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I didn't say that neither the baptists or the anglicans are big in the gifts of the spirit, which is important to new testament believers..

Essentially, you're saying I was doing it wrong because I didn't follow the correct sect. Pffft. I have no interest in proving to you my old religious tribe was proper or exploring how the "Holy Spirit" (read faith in spite of evidence) could save me.

This type of thinking is exactly what Willows is referring to generally, and I agree it is ugly. It gives religious people a bad name.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:13:21 PM
At 10/19/2016 1:48:20 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/19/2016 12:27:53 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yet they betrayed you?

No. I felt like they did, but there was no intentional deception. They were merely mimicking those who came before them. That's how we learn, and sometimes what we learn is wrong.

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:21:17 PM
At 10/19/2016 1:50:53 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Essentially, you're saying I was doing it wrong because I didn't follow the correct sect. Pffft. I have no interest in proving to you my old religious tribe was proper or exploring how the "Holy Spirit" (read faith in spite of evidence) could save me.
the Holy spirit is biblical, it has nothing to do with sect, other than some chose to omit it but the Holy Spirit is referred to as the teacher, so perhaps those not using it miss some important teaching...
This type of thinking is exactly what Willows is referring to generally, and I agree it is ugly. It gives religious people a bad name.

religion as a whole is ugly and useless, faith on the other hand, is a very good thing...
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:23:15 PM
At 10/19/2016 2:21:17 PM, graceofgod wrote:

the Holy spirit is biblical, it has nothing to do with sect, other than some chose to omit it but the Holy Spirit is referred to as the teacher, so perhaps those not using it miss some important teaching...

religion as a whole is ugly and useless, faith on the other hand, is a very good thing...

Christianity is a religion!
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:27:25 PM
At 10/19/2016 2:23:15 PM, tarantula wrote:

Christianity is a religion!

no it is a faith, religion cannot help or save you...

what religion did you belong too, if I may ask...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:29:48 PM

You've already asked which faith I followed (as if it was important), and now you're saying religion is useless. Make up your mind.

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:38:38 PM
At 10/19/2016 2:29:48 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

You've already asked which faith I followed (as if it was important), and now you're saying religion is useless. Make up your mind.

a faith is important, a religion is not...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:52:36 PM
At 10/19/2016 2:38:38 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Opinions vary. You can take that up with your believing friends.

PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:07:47 PM
I applaud those of you who had the courage to doubt, and eventually to break free of the religious authoritarianism that you were unfortunately born into.

However, I wonder if you can find that courage again, and face the fact that the "God" you rejected was just the make-believe god of an authoritarian cult. Which is why it eventually showed itself to be unreasonable, irrational, condemning, and just plain unacceptable.

But their idea of god is not the only idea available to consider. And the negative results that their idea of god generated are not universal to all other ideas of god. So that having rightfully rejected the one, is not the logical equivalent of having rightfully rejected them all. There is a whole world of theistic possibilities that you have not yet encountered, and that may offer you possibilities that you would find very positive and effective.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:10:44 PM

I was about 14, and I was in the shower. There was no huge epiphany. I simply realized that religion and the idea of God made no sense. That's it.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:18:50 PM
At 10/19/2016 4:07:47 PM, PureX wrote:
I applaud those of you who had the courage to doubt, and eventually to break free of the religious authoritarianism that you were unfortunately born into.

However, I wonder if you can find that courage again, and face the fact that the "God" you rejected was just the make-believe god of an authoritarian cult.
So very wrong. The god is the invention of primitive man to explain what he didn't understand and is still used by primitive man for the same reason.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:33:01 PM
At 10/19/2016 2:52:36 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

going to church every sunday cannot save you, praying an hour a day cannot save you, being baptised as a child cannot save you, being confirmed cannot save you...
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 5:38:29 PM
At 10/19/2016 4:33:01 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/19/2016 2:52:36 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

going to church every sunday cannot save you, praying an hour a day cannot save you, being baptised as a child cannot save you, being confirmed cannot save you...

graceofgod Baptism removes sins!!
Acts 22:16
And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name."

Baptism IMMERSES us into the body of Jesus!!!
graceofgod All IN Jesus are saved!
Galatians 3:27
for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Baptism saves...
graceofgod It saves you by "IMMERSING you into the body of the risen Jesus"!
1 Peter 3:21
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also"not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

graceofgod Jesus died!!!!! . He can't die a second time, all IMMERSED into Jesus' body cannot die!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:14:22 PM

Not having had a religion/faith indoctrinated into me as a child, I remember in elementary school all the kids talking about the presents they got for Christmas. There was one kid who looked totally depressed and humiliated, it was then we found out he didn't get any presents, because his parents were Jehovah Witness.

I came home and asked my parents what it all meant, they said they were waiting for me to ask that sort of question and then asked if I would be interested in learning something about various religions and why that boy never got any presents. It was after that we all started attending a variety of religious services where I began to learn something about them.

I had no idea there were so many parents who in their lives appeared relatively normal, but went bat sh!t crazy insane when they turned to their faiths. Their kids began to reflect that insanity more and more as we all grew up, which clearly showed the state of religion to me.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:33:17 PM

My first exposure to a god concept was at the age of four, when someone took me to church for the first time. It was soon apparent that the guy at the front was spouting nonsense. It wasn't so much a realization that some god doesn't exist, but rather the start of a lifelong skepticism for any claims that don't come with sufficient supporting evidence.