Jump to topic:

The god of human sacrifice.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:21:05 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Why didn't he be honest and accept that what happened was all his fault and just rescind the unjust verdict and punishment he imposed, after all he is omnipotent, nothing is beyond his powers.
Of course it would seem that he's also a narcissistic sadist who enjoys inflicting pain.

Nah lets butcher my son, that'll make me happy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 2:53:52 PM
At 10/19/2016 2:21:05 PM, bulproof wrote:
Why didn't he be honest and accept that what happened was all his fault and just rescind the unjust verdict and punishment he imposed, after all he is omnipotent, nothing is beyond his powers.
Of course it would seem that he's also a narcissistic sadist who enjoys inflicting pain.

Any takers?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:47:07 PM

It would be good to notice that Jesus was murdered by Romans, not by God.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 6:15:06 AM
At 10/19/2016 6:47:07 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Wanker
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:02:48 AM
To blame the Romans is to blame the gun rather than the gunman. According to the Gospel account it was the Jewish religious establishment that wanted Jesus dead, not the Romans.

I thought the thread might be about the story of Jephtha and his daughter. In Judges 11 God takes Jephtha's daughter as payment for his victory in battle over the Ammonites. That contrasts with the story of Abraham who is only tested by God to sacrifice his son as a sign of his faith but no actual human sacrifice was made.

In the Bible human (esecially child sacrifice) is principally associated with the Canaanite god Moloch. There was enmity between the Hebrew and Canaanites and it is quite likely such takes human sacrifices owe more to anti-Canaanite propaganda than historical reality.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:33:04 AM
Following on, the sacrifice of Jesus to take away sin strongly resembles a notion in old-fashioned Hebrew religion as described in Leviticus 16:8-10:

8 He is to cast lots for the two goats"one lot for the LORD and the other for the scapegoat.
9 Aaron shall bring the goat whose lot falls to the LORD and sacrifice it for a sin offering.
10 But the goat chosen by lot as the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the LORD to be used for making atonement by sending it into the wilderness as a scapegoat.

The idea is that a goat would be selected to carry the sins of the tribe away into the desert where it would die. The gospel writers drew on that tradition to explain the untimely death of Jesus.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 7:48:58 AM

So, was God so busy dropping pianos that He didn't notice His only son suffering on a cross and didn't bother to help?
Some father.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 8:08:14 PM
At 10/20/2016 7:48:58 AM, Willows wrote:
So, was God so busy dropping pianos that He didn't notice His only son suffering on a cross and didn't bother to help?
Some father.

According to the story, God raised Jesus from the death, so I think it would be irrational to say God didn"t bother to help. And I think it was allowed to happen, so that disciples could get the courage to continue and not fear death, which according to the Bible is not necessary the end and we should not fear death at all.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 12:50:10 AM
At 10/20/2016 7:48:58 AM, Willows wrote:

Some father.

I think the moment when Jesus says "Why have you forsaken me?" is one of the most interesting in the Bible.