Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

There seems to be a high level!

bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Looncall
Posts: 455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 2:05:30 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

What else would one expect? Religion rots the mind.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 2:15:23 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 2:05:30 PM, Looncall wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

What else would one expect? Religion rots the mind.
+1
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 2:49:38 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Do you think religion attracts the mentally ill, or are sane people driven mad by religion?
KwLm
Posts: 494
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 4:24:06 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 2:49:38 PM, desmac wrote:
Do you think religion attracts the mentally ill, or are sane people driven mad by religion?

It's more, gullible people are caught because they fear the nothingness of death so they have to have an answer to feel comfortable
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 4:32:07 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
We are hard wired to believe. But the more we believe the more wired our brains get entangled to that belief and there is little free synaptic connections available to process new information which leads to a state that neuroscientists call 'stuck on stupid'.

Scientist have scanned the brain for indicators of spiritual experience and found unusual brain activity during a spiritual experience in the frontal lobes among nuns and meditating Buddhist monks. The only difference being the experiences are generated internally without any external input.

The simple act of a shrug can interrupt these brain activities and restore the brain back to a normal state. This is the equivalent of a reset.

The spiritual experiences associated with beliefs are reinforced through repetition. Which again creates a loop cycle of repetition like tbe chanting of a prayer or the repetitive arguments raised by believers to reinforce their beliefs.

There is evidence we are wired to believe,but there is little reason to remain wired and stuck on stupid.

Research on religion have discovered certain types are drawn to religion. And those who gravitate towards religion all have a common trait. By exposing children to religion helps us identify those who will most likely exhibit those traits in adulthood. So restricting children from the dangers of religion is actually delaying those early symptoms which otherwise would have been identified early and treated.

What have research in religion discovered? Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness.
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 12:44:53 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Perhaps some of the godists need to be hard wired to special chairs? LOL almost.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,630
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:36:31 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

There are a number of believers who have already admitted to having various disorders. Then, there are those who claim to see things and hear voices all the time, but may not admit to a disorder or even know they have one. Some may or may not have disorders, but are heavily indoctrinated into their faith and haven't developed their thinking and reasoning skills. Across the board, most are poorly educated, but that can usually be the result of religious indoctrination.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:42:18 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 4:24:06 PM, KwLm wrote:
At 10/21/2016 2:49:38 PM, desmac wrote:
Do you think religion attracts the mentally ill, or are sane people driven mad by religion?

It's more, gullible people are caught because they fear the nothingness of death so they have to have an answer to feel comfortable

Your signature says:

"Truth must be seen and heard, remove those with delusions, make way for the future lost by religion!"

I assume that you accept that you exist yet you reach that conclusion not by hearing or seeing isn't that true? If you lie quietly on your bed you cannot hear or see yourself yet you are aware of your existence aren't you?

So why the dumb signature?
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,630
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:45:55 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?

And, what known mental disorder do you refer, exactly?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:32:50 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?
No. Religion was mentioned, not natural behaviours.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
missmedic
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 1:44:46 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?

Your close, homophobia is a mental illness.
http://www.thedailybeast.com...
https://www.psychologytoday.com...
http://www.medicaldaily.com...
And religion.................
http://www.thenewsnerd.com...
http://www.truthbeknown.com...
7 Reason why Religion is a Mental Disorder
by stormincincy
(1) Hallucinations - the person has invisible friends who (s)he insists are real, and to whom (s)he speaks daily, even though nobody can actually see or hear these friends

(2) Delusions - the patient believes that the invisible person has magical powers to make them rich, cure cancer, bring about world peace, and will do so eventually if asked.

(3) Denial/Inability to learn - though the requests for world peace remain unanswered, even after hundreds of years, the patients persist with the praying behavior, each time expecting different results

(4) Inability to distinguish fantasy from reality - the beliefs are contingent upon ancient mythology being accepted as historical fact.

(5) Paranoia - the belief that anyone who does not share their supernatural concept of reality is "evil," "the devil," "an agent of Satan"

(6) Emotional abuse - " religious concepts such as sin, hell, cause feelings of guilt, shame, fear, and other types of emotional "baggage" which can scar the psyche for life

(7) Violence - many patients insist that others should share in their delusions, even to the extent of using harassment and violence.
by stormincincy
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 3:33:06 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 1:44:46 AM, missmedic wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?

Your close, homophobia is a mental illness.
http://www.thedailybeast.com...
https://www.psychologytoday.com...
http://www.medicaldaily.com...
And religion.................
http://www.thenewsnerd.com...
http://www.truthbeknown.com...
7 Reason why Religion is a Mental Disorder
by stormincincy
(1) Hallucinations - the person has invisible friends who (s)he insists are real, and to whom (s)he speaks daily, even though nobody can actually see or hear these friends

(2) Delusions - the patient believes that the invisible person has magical powers to make them rich, cure cancer, bring about world peace, and will do so eventually if asked.

(3) Denial/Inability to learn - though the requests for world peace remain unanswered, even after hundreds of years, the patients persist with the praying behavior, each time expecting different results

(4) Inability to distinguish fantasy from reality - the beliefs are contingent upon ancient mythology being accepted as historical fact.

(5) Paranoia - the belief that anyone who does not share their supernatural concept of reality is "evil," "the devil," "an agent of Satan"

(6) Emotional abuse - " religious concepts such as sin, hell, cause feelings of guilt, shame, fear, and other types of emotional "baggage" which can scar the psyche for life

(7) Violence - many patients insist that others should share in their delusions, even to the extent of using harassment and violence.
by stormincincy

As usual, you have excelled in your post.

+1
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 3:37:58 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?

No, I was thinking along the lines of someone trying to impersonate a tough-guy, sexist, bigoted, movie character from the 1970s who has absolutely no place in today's society.
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 3:13:58 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 3:37:58 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:43:11 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/23/2016 2:05:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It can be quite logically argued that religion is a mental illness.

Like homosexuality or transgenderism?

No, I was thinking along the lines of someone trying to impersonate a tough-guy, sexist, bigoted, movie character from the 1970s who has absolutely no place in today's society.
I think it's mutating, the insanity appears to be developing a very angrily aggressive side to it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,327
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 4:04:23 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
Ya see what I mean?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,327
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:18:58 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 4:04:23 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
Ya see what I mean?

That's what I'm trying to see. You keep avoiding the question. You avoid the question because you said exactly what I'm asking about.
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:23:26 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 5:18:58 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/28/2016 4:04:23 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
Ya see what I mean?

That's what I'm trying to see. You keep avoiding the question. You avoid the question because you said exactly what I'm asking about.

Prove it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:34:40 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Atheists seem to be missing the big picture here.

If God doesn't exist, there isn't any particular way in which people are supposed to be. "Abnormality" or "mental illness" presupposes a way in which people are supposed to be. Self-refutation #1.

If God doesn't exist, holding true beliefs over fictitious ones boils down to a completely subjective preference since "truth" has no objective importance. Assuming atheism is true, and you're a rational person, you should believe whatever best helps achieve your ends. If your end is to maximise self-wellbeing (which is a rational thing to do) then you should hold fictitious beliefs if they give you more well-being than true ones. Self-refutation #2.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,327
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:37:08 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 5:23:26 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 5:18:58 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/28/2016 4:04:23 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
Ya see what I mean?

That's what I'm trying to see. You keep avoiding the question. You avoid the question because you said exactly what I'm asking about.

Prove it.

Let's start with the evidence that shows you've been avoiding an answer to my question. If you provide a direct answer to my question, the bigger question looms. You're questioning whether I can post the direct quote from you, therein showing you to be a liar. Answer my question. Did you claim to have sexual relations with a goddes?
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:39:05 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 5:34:40 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Atheists seem to be missing the big picture here.

If God doesn't exist, there isn't any particular way in which people are supposed to be. "Abnormality" or "mental illness" presupposes a way in which people are supposed to be. Self-refutation #1.

If God doesn't exist, holding true beliefs over fictitious ones boils down to a completely subjective preference since "truth" has no objective importance. Assuming atheism is true, and you're a rational person, you should believe whatever best helps achieve your ends. If your end is to maximise self-wellbeing (which is a rational thing to do) then you should hold fictitious beliefs if they give you more well-being than true ones. Self-refutation #2.
You supply very real reasons to doubt your membership of the human race, you haven't a clue about atheism and your knowledge of mental illness is even less.
Your god is not required for anything, that's why it doesn't exist.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:41:27 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 5:37:08 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/28/2016 5:23:26 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 5:18:58 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/28/2016 4:04:23 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
Ya see what I mean?

That's what I'm trying to see. You keep avoiding the question. You avoid the question because you said exactly what I'm asking about.

Prove it.

Let's start with the evidence that shows you've been avoiding an answer to my question. If you provide a direct answer to my question, the bigger question looms. You're questioning whether I can post the direct quote from you, therein showing you to be a liar. Answer my question. Did you claim to have sexual relations with a goddes?
Oh he's got me with that evidence. It's precisely the same evidence he has for the existence of his gods.
Oh wait, it's nothing.
As you were, false alarm.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,327
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 5:44:54 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 5:41:27 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 5:37:08 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/28/2016 5:23:26 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 5:18:58 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/28/2016 4:04:23 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/28/2016 3:29:56 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

Have you ever claimed to have had sexual relations with a goddess?
Ya see what I mean?

That's what I'm trying to see. You keep avoiding the question. You avoid the question because you said exactly what I'm asking about.

Prove it.

Let's start with the evidence that shows you've been avoiding an answer to my question. If you provide a direct answer to my question, the bigger question looms. You're questioning whether I can post the direct quote from you, therein showing you to be a liar. Answer my question. Did you claim to have sexual relations with a goddes?
Oh he's got me with that evidence. It's precisely the same evidence he has for the existence of his gods.
Oh wait, it's nothing.
As you were, false alarm.

Dude. You go around telling people you're having sex with a goddess. How pathetic is that?
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 8:00:14 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It doesn't help that psychiatric wards are filled with Bibles.
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 9:50:49 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 8:00:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It doesn't help that psychiatric wards are filled with Bibles.

We'll have to take your word for it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 9:52:38 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 9:50:49 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/28/2016 8:00:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It doesn't help that psychiatric wards are filled with Bibles.

We'll have to take your word for it.

Every psych ward I've been in has them. I would say about 25% of patients have religious delusions. Even atheists have religious delusions for some reason.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 10:25:59 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/28/2016 9:52:38 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/28/2016 9:50:49 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/28/2016 8:00:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/21/2016 1:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:
Of mental illness on the godist side of this forum.
Any thoughts?

It doesn't help that psychiatric wards are filled with Bibles.

We'll have to take your word for it.

Every psych ward I've been in has them. I would say about 25% of patients have religious delusions. Even atheists have religious delusions for some reason.

The reasons are right there; psychiatric wards filled with bibles and packed by patients suffering from religious delusions. Atheists should do their research in more neutral settings.