Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:38:36 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 9:21:13 PM, janesix wrote:
Why are we here? Is there a purpose?

I wouldnt be suprised if our purpose is to become the cause of the Big Bang, thereby creating the universe and ourselfes.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:40:19 PM
Why are we here?

To experience beer, pizza and football.

Is there a purpose?

To discover beer, pizza and football.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:42:17 PM
At 10/22/2016 9:40:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Why are we here?

That's one possibility I've considered.

Is there a purpose?

Those aren't discoveries. They're inventions.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:47:55 PM

'Why?' assumes there is intent attached to our existence by an interested overseer. I see no evidence of that.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 9:57:23 PM
At 10/22/2016 9:42:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/22/2016 9:40:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Why are we here?

That's one possibility I've considered.

Is there a purpose?

Those aren't discoveries. They're inventions.

Omg! Those things actually exist? Awesome!

The work here is done, we have fulfilled our purpose.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 11:21:45 PM
At 10/22/2016 11:06:42 PM, dee-em wrote:
Why are we here?

Evolution.

Is there a purpose?

No.

+1
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 1:03:04 AM

Some theories suggest that we are imprisoned here in a continuous cycle of reincarnation; that we are tricked into this by the so called fallen beings. It is stated that they lack the light from the creator and use us as food. The theory goes that they use our energy and light as food because they have created an illusion of duality for themselves, that cuts them off from source(God). That is one theory. another theory is that we are here for spiritual growth and that this is a school. The atheists wolves are going to have a field day with these THEORIES, Personally, I have know idea why we are here. The only thing I do know is that we are not an accident or here as random chance. There is purpose. What that purpose is , I don't know.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 1:05:25 AM
At 10/23/2016 1:03:04 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

Some theories suggest that we are imprisoned here in a continuous cycle of reincarnation; that we are tricked into this by the so called fallen beings. It is stated that they lack the light from the creator and use us as food. The theory goes that they use our energy and light as food because they have created an illusion of duality for themselves, that cuts them off from source(God). That is one theory. another theory is that we are here for spiritual growth and that this is a school. The atheists wolves are going to have a field day with these THEORIES, Personally, I have know idea why we are here. The only thing I do know is that we are not an accident or here as random chance. There is purpose. What that purpose is , I don't know.

I am in the same boat. I know theres a purpose but i dont know what it is.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 1:44:43 AM
The opportunity is living, you don't get much of it so make it your purpose to enjoy it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 1:53:02 AM
At 10/23/2016 1:05:25 AM, janesix wrote:

You don't know that there's a purpose otherwise you would be able to explain how you arrived at this knowledge. You want there to be purpose. That's called wishful thinking.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 9:06:32 AM
At 10/22/2016 11:21:45 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 10/22/2016 11:06:42 PM, dee-em wrote:
Why are we here?

Evolution.

Is there a purpose?

No.

+1

Too easy. The answers wrote themselves. :-)
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 10:09:09 AM

Shouldn't this be in the philosophy forum?

Anyways, both of these questions don't matter. In most cases, these questions can't be answered objectively.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 11:03:10 AM

There is no reason or purpose for our existence. It's a pure coincidence.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 11:04:47 AM

How do you KNOW there is a purpose to our existence? There is currently no evidence supporting that claim so it appears more logical to assume there is no purpose.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 11:54:37 AM

If you think we are here for a purpose and don't know what the purpose is, then what is your reasoning for believing that there is a purpose.
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 11:57:23 AM

We are here because our species evolved to have a conscience. The only purpose to life is death, there is nothing more to it. To speculate on theories is pointless and counter intuitive.
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 11:59:36 AM

I just want to point out that they're both a hypothesis not theories as there's no evidence to support them........ just sayin
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 12:06:48 PM
At 10/23/2016 11:57:23 AM, KwLm wrote:

We are here because our species evolved to have a conscience. The only purpose to life is death, there is nothing more to it. To speculate on theories is pointless and counter intuitive.

So is commenting on it saying that it is pointless but nevertheless, here you are doing it. Anyways, our species did evolve yes and the idea that we all have a soul could well be a case of "wishful thinking" in which we imagine a purpose and a reason simply to comfort us from the cold hard reality that we are all born to die. Perhaps there is indeed nothing beyond life than nothingness itself but while I am alive, I rather have the comfort of a "wishful thought" which allows me to not ponder too much about the fate that awaits us.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:36:03 PM

The clowns on this site who claim to be atheists will never let any people of like minds, who are searching for truth and believe in a higher power, have a discussion or debate about God itself and it's nature. They know very well that proving God exists to them cannot be done. They go on the attack to provoke. They don't understand because they don't have the consciousness that a seeker has. They are dead, spiritually, inside, so when someone talks about God, it enrages them because in reality they are like hard core Muslims or born again Christians, but on the opposite side of the spectrum. They don't understand that they actually want everyone to believe what they do so they mock and insist that Theists are wrong. they don't seem to be able to grasp that one can shun religion and yet believe even stronger in a higher power. It's actually best not to engage them. You can't win. It just becomes one big circle that spirals downward. It gives them the satisfaction and belief that they win and are superior. They don't understand or grasp that a true believer in a Creator is on a path and open to higher levels of consciousness (something they can't grasp) and has absolutely no need nor cares to convince any of them that God exists. Hard core religious fundamentalists are far different, because, like the atheists, they have a need to prove the other wrong
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:09:40 PM

It would be logical to assume that we exist, as individuals, to play our part in the wondrous ongoing expression of being that is "the universe".

So the question being posed is them, what is our role in all of this? And because we are uniquely designed with the capacity cognate, extrapolate, and evaluate our experience of being here, it think it would be logical to assume that this is our role in being here.

That is that we exist to perceive, conceive of, and appreciate the phenomena of existence. In fact, the universe is contemplating itself, through us.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:21:21 PM
At 10/23/2016 2:36:03 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

The clowns on this site who claim to be atheists will never let any people of like minds, who are searching for truth and believe in a higher power, have a discussion or debate about God itself and it's nature. They know very well that proving God exists to them cannot be done. They go on the attack to provoke. They don't understand because they don't have the consciousness that a seeker has. They are dead, spiritually, inside, so when someone talks about God, it enrages them because in reality they are like hard core Muslims or born again Christians, but on the opposite side of the spectrum. They don't understand that they actually want everyone to believe what they do so they mock and insist that Theists are wrong. they don't seem to be able to grasp that one can shun religion and yet believe even stronger in a higher power. It's actually best not to engage them. You can't win. It just becomes one big circle that spirals downward. It gives them the satisfaction and belief that they win and are superior. They don't understand or grasp that a true believer in a Creator is on a path and open to higher levels of consciousness (something they can't grasp) and has absolutely no need nor cares to convince any of them that God exists. Hard core religious fundamentalists are far different, because, like the atheists, they have a need to prove the other wrong

Just because there is no scientific evidence to support a belief does not necessarily mean that a belief is therefore false, I do agree with that notion, however, where God is concerned the lack of that evidence (if he does exist) can only be ascribed to God himself who can't be bothered to provide that evidence, or he doesn't exist which of course means that there can be no evidence. Either way, there is not much sense in following a religion that has not been sanctified by God himself.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:52:21 PM
At 10/23/2016 3:21:21 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

Just because there is no scientific evidence to support a belief does not necessarily mean that a belief is therefore false, I do agree with that notion, however, where God is concerned the lack of that evidence (if he does exist) can only be ascribed to God himself who can't be bothered to provide that evidence, or he doesn't exist which of course means that there can be no evidence. Either way, there is not much sense in following a religion that has not been sanctified by God himself.

It's not about religion, I'm not religious at all, but I am spiritual, which means that I seek a greater meaning in life through the inner self. The most valuable tool for this is meditation. Even Jesus said "The kingdom of God is within you". If you seek God, He/She/It will find you. This is not to be taken as religious and is totally non condemning. In essence, one can find the evidence of God within. Why would anyone care about what others think?
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:03:41 PM
At 10/23/2016 3:52:21 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

It's not about religion, I'm not religious at all, but I am spiritual, which means that I seek a greater meaning in life through the inner self. The most valuable tool for this is meditation. Even Jesus said "The kingdom of God is within you". If you seek God, He/She/It will find you. This is not to be taken as religious and is totally non condemning. In essence, one can find the evidence of God within. Why would anyone care about what others think?

I don't think that anyone would (or atleast should) if not for the fact that the faith in God (or actually religion) is often used as an argument to why people should live a certain way and not be true to themselfes and the moment that those arguments are thrust upon those who do not believe, either through laws or discrimination, well, that makes them care.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:13:36 PM
At 10/23/2016 4:03:41 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I don't think that anyone would (or atleast should) if not for the fact that the faith in God (or actually religion) is often used as an argument to why people should live a certain way and not be true to themselfes and the moment that those arguments are thrust upon those who do not believe, either through laws or discrimination, well, that makes them care.

Everyone should always be respectful of other's right to believe what they want, as long as it isn't about hurting others. We have to respect that right but do not have to respect the other person's opinion or belief.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:33:55 PM
At 10/23/2016 4:13:36 PM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 10/23/2016 4:03:41 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

Everyone should always be respectful of other's right to believe what they want, as long as it isn't about hurting others. We have to respect that right but do not have to respect the other person's opinion or belief.

I agree, you have as much right to believe what you belief as i have the right to believe what i belief.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:41:23 PM

First, you write that bit of tripe, then you contradict yourself by saying this...

lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:51:38 PM
At 10/23/2016 4:41:23 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

First, you write that bit of tripe, then you contradict yourself by saying this...

There is no contradiction. Like I said, the atheist can only mock and criticize. I never, ever said that you don't have your right to your opinion. You do. I don't respect it and I only mock and criticize your opposition to me having a belief, even though you can't stand the thought of that belief. So read what I wrote and try to comprehend. We can agree to disagree.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 5:46:59 PM
At 10/23/2016 4:51:38 PM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 10/23/2016 4:41:23 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

There is no contradiction. Like I said, the atheist can only mock and criticize. I never, ever said that you don't have your right to your opinion. You do. I don't respect it and I only mock and criticize your opposition to me having a belief, even though you can't stand the thought of that belief. So read what I wrote and try to comprehend. We can agree to disagree.

You contradicted yourself and you're doing it again.