Jump to topic:

Is Christanity Polytheistic?

Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:42:10 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
I've assumed for a while that Christianity was Polytheistic. There are three Gods in the Christian religion from my understanding.

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

I've always wondered which one to pray to. I never had an easy time as a Christian. The first commandment is to have no other Gods before me. Therefore, I find it impossible for a Christian to pray to God without breaking the 1st commandment. My solution was not to pray, hoping that belief in God was enough.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:49:19 AM
At 10/23/2016 3:42:10 AM, Stupidape wrote:
I've assumed for a while that Christianity was Polytheistic. There are three Gods in the Christian religion from my understanding.

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

I've always wondered which one to pray to. I never had an easy time as a Christian. The first commandment is to have no other Gods before me. Therefore, I find it impossible for a Christian to pray to God without breaking the 1st commandment. My solution was not to pray, hoping that belief in God was enough.

Clash of the Titans was on TV here last night. Whilst I've long been aware that Christianity "borrowed" much of its doctrine from much older religions, as I was watching it last night, it also occurred to me there were more parallels with the Roman mythology than I had realised. When I get time, I must look into that more.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:53:09 AM
At 10/23/2016 3:49:19 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Clash of the Titans was on TV here last night. Whilst I've long been aware that Christianity "borrowed" much of its doctrine from much older religions, as I was watching it last night, it also occurred to me there were more parallels with the Roman mythology than I had realised. When I get time, I must look into that more.

Careless of me. I meant Greek. Specifically, one thing that occurred to me as I was watching was the role of Perseus. Born by a god impregnating a woman, both God and man, sent to save the human race, etc etc. Seems the same themes are repeated with minor changes in so many ancient religions. Surprise?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 2:31:39 PM

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

I agree Christianity is a polytheistic religion despite it's claims to be monotheistic. This in itself is sufficient proof Christianity is a false religion. When reading the old testament there is no mention of any god but Yawheh. Jesus is an addiction to the Jewish monotheistic faith and is only found in the new testament.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:25:50 PM

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

The trinity does not represent three different gods, as some misinformed Christians tend to proclaim. What it represents are three different ways of conceiving of the manifestations of God in our lives.

That is the manifestation of God as an external, incomprehensibly "omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent being" is conceptualized as "God the Father". While the manifestation of God in human form, like ourselves, but idealized be Jesus, is referred to as "God the Son". And as the manifestation of God's spirit within our own hearts and minds being conceptualized as "God the Holy Spirit".

It's all the same God, but the trinity allows us to conceptualize God as being manifested beyond us, in us, and through us to others, simultaneously. And whichever of these three manifestations of God you choose to pray to, you are still praying to God. You are just using whichever conceptualization of God's influence applies to you and your circumstances, at the time.
Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 2:17:49 AM
PureX,

I read your post, but I don't buy it. Three different manifestations means three different Gods. The Old Testament clearly states there are multiple Gods.

"Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
"

Exodus 34:14
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 2:38:48 AM
At 10/23/2016 3:25:50 PM, PureX wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

The trinity does not represent three different gods, as some misinformed Christians tend to proclaim. What it represents are three different ways of conceiving of the manifestations of God in our lives.

That is the manifestation of God as an external, incomprehensibly "omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent being" is conceptualized as "God the Father". While the manifestation of God in human form, like ourselves, but idealized be Jesus, is referred to as "God the Son". And as the manifestation of God's spirit within our own hearts and minds being conceptualized as "God the Holy Spirit".

It's all the same God, but the trinity allows us to conceptualize God as being manifested beyond us, in us, and through us to others, simultaneously. And whichever of these three manifestations of God you choose to pray to, you are still praying to God. You are just using whichever conceptualization of God's influence applies to you and your circumstances, at the time.

Christians treat jesus as a weak God.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 3:26:41 PM
At 10/24/2016 2:38:48 AM, uncung wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Well, Jesus is the human manifestation of God. So, yes, he is "weak" compared to the omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent manifestation of "God the Father". But that's the point of the trinity: that we can recognize and identify with God as manifested as omni-divinity, within humanity, and through the individual heart and mind.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 5:05:15 PM

1. Deuteronomy 4:35,39 " Unto thee it was shown, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. (39) Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

2. Deuteronomy 6:4 " Hear, O Israel: The LORD thy God is one LORD. [Note in Mark 12:28-34 how Jesus and a Jewish scribe he encountered understood this text.]

3. Deuteronomy32:39 " See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

4. 2 Samuel 7:22 " Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

5. 1 Kings 8:60 " That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

6. 2 KINGS 5:15 " And he returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him: and he said, Behold, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel; now therefore, I pray thee, take a blessing of thy servant.

7. 2 Kings 19:15 " And Hezekiah prayed before the LORD, and said, O LORD God of Israel, which dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth.

8. 1 Chronicles 17:20 " O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

9. Nehemiah 9:6 " Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou has made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

10. Psalm 18:31 " For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?

11. Psalm 86:10 " For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

12. Isaiah 37:16,20 " O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou has made heaven and earth. (20) Now therefore, O LORD our God, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that thou art the LORD, even thou only.

13. Isaiah43:10,11 " Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he:before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no savior.

14. Isaiah44:6,8 " Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.Fear ye not, neither be afraid; have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

15. Isaiah 45:21 " Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time: who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside me.

16. Isaiah 46:9 " For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

17. Hosea 13:4 " Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me; for there is no savior beside me.

18. Joel 2:27 " And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.

19. Zechariah 14:9 " And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

20. Mark 12:29-34 "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

21. John 17:3 " And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

22. Romans 3:30 " Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

23. 1 Corinthians 8:4-6 " As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

24. Galatians 3:20 " Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

25. Ephesians 4:6 " One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

26. 1 Timothy 1:17 " Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

27. 1 Timothy 2:5 " For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

28. James 2:19 " Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Phew! I was going to answer "No" Christianity is NOT Polytheistic, then I saw that you said, " There are three Gods in the Christian religion from my understanding.

And I knew right away that "your understanding" should trump what the Bible actually says over and over.

So yes. Against all the verses saying otherwise. Against all common sense, against 6,000 years of history, "Yes" Christianity is Polytheistic.

wow. Stupidity is difficult!
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 5:07:07 PM

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

one God , three in one, just like we are three in one, we were made in God's image, hope that makes more sense to you....
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 11:42:05 PM

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Christianity has many "gods", they've just been euhemerized to enforce monotheism.

Mary is the divine feminine, who takes the roles of mother, wife, and whore throughout her life; these roles were split into the Virgin Mary, Mary of Bethany, and Mary Magdalene, respectively.

Satan also takes many roles: the serpent, who tempts Eve; Lucifer, the brightest angel; Beelzebub, the king of demons; Mephistopheles, who lures humans into selling their souls; and the various monsters of the apocalypse.

These characters fulfill the function of gods, even if they're not revered as such.

"Mythology is defeated when the mind rests solemnly with its favorite or traditional images, defending them as though they themselves were the message that they communicate."
- Joseph Campbell, "The Hero with a Thousand Faces", p. 231.

Exodus 20:2 - 4 (KJV)
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

The Father, the Son, the Spirit, the Virgin, the Devil, and all the other "gods" are but images; they exist in the day, but dissolve back into nothing between the evening and the morning. They are useful archetypes, but you have to see past them to the Source, for that is the true God and the singularity from which all others emanate.

Also, I recommend that you read Joseph Campbell's book. It outlines the monomyth that all religions, including Christianity, are ultimately built upon.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 12:36:28 AM
At 10/24/2016 3:26:41 PM, PureX wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Well, Jesus is the human manifestation of God. So, yes, he is "weak" compared to the omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent manifestation of "God the Father". But that's the point of the trinity: that we can recognize and identify with God as manifested as omni-divinity, within humanity, and through the individual heart and mind.

and still he s a weak God now?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 1:45:57 PM
At 10/25/2016 12:36:28 AM, uncung wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Only to those who can't or won't grasp that God is not just about 'power'.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 1:05:07 AM
At 10/25/2016 1:45:57 PM, PureX wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

then you rely on he weak God.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 2:33:29 PM
At 10/26/2016 1:05:07 AM, uncung wrote:
At 10/25/2016 1:45:57 PM, PureX wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

then you rely on he weak God.

Whatever floats your delusions.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 7:09:25 PM

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

A similar story to Christianity does not disprove Christianity, it only strengthens it. Since when do multiple evidences to an evidence disprove this evidence? It doesn't. It proves it.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 8:18:13 PM
At 10/26/2016 7:09:25 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Clash of the Titans was on TV here last night. Whilst I've long been aware that Christianity "borrowed" much of its doctrine from much older religions, as I was watching it last night, it also occurred to me there were more parallels with the Greek mythology than I had realised. When I get time, I must look into that more.

A similar story to Christianity does not disprove Christianity, it only strengthens it. Since when do multiple evidences to an evidence disprove this evidence? It doesn't. It proves it.

Not evidence, myth. It's a bit like cinema in the last few years. It seems the majority movies are either out and out "remakes", or just plagiarism of some previous story, with a few ill-concealed changes. A bit of originality would be nice.

Besides, how does the story of a God/man, born to a virgin, dying, being resurrected etc dating from hundreds or thousands of years before the "actual" event is alleged by the church to have taken place lend support to the idea? All it proves is that Matthew, Mark etc would have made a killing in Hollywood.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 11:03:20 PM
At 10/26/2016 8:18:13 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

Clash of the Titans was on TV here last night. Whilst I've long been aware that Christianity "borrowed" much of its doctrine from much older religions, as I was watching it last night, it also occurred to me there were more parallels with the Greek mythology than I had realised. When I get time, I must look into that more.

Not evidence, myth. It's a bit like cinema in the last few years. It seems the majority movies are either out and out "remakes", or just plagiarism of some previous story, with a few ill-concealed changes. A bit of originality would be nice.

A myth to some is the story passed down from the original truth to others witnessed.

Besides, how does the story of a God/man, born to a virgin, dying, being resurrected etc dating from hundreds or thousands of years before the "actual" event is alleged by the church to have taken place lend support to the idea? All it proves is that Matthew, Mark etc would have made a killing in Hollywood.

The story of Jesus is unique. Jesus lived. The story of Jesus was told. Other stories of Christianity began before Jesus was born. There is a story in Christianity that tells of the beginnings of man. You will hear these stories being told among other cultures of other times. These stories do nothing to discredit Christianity but strengthen it. The ancient Greeks have a story of the theft of fire in which Prometheus stole the fire from Zeus and gave it to the people. Christianity and other religions tell this story as well. The more a story gets told around the times, in all the places, will like any story being retold through the ages have their subtle differences, but they are still one in the same.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 12:44:24 AM
At 10/26/2016 11:03:20 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

A myth to some is the story passed down from the original truth to others witnessed.

The story of Jesus is unique. Jesus lived. The story of Jesus was told. Other stories of Christianity began before Jesus was born. There is a story in Christianity that tells of the beginnings of man. You will hear these stories being told among other cultures of other times. These stories do nothing to discredit Christianity but strengthen it. The ancient Greeks have a story of the theft of fire in which Prometheus stole the fire from Zeus and gave it to the people. Christianity and other religions tell this story as well. The more a story gets told around the times, in all the places, will like any story being retold through the ages have their subtle differences, but they are still one in the same.

as per your statement the story of Prometheus stole the fire from Zeus must be true as well.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 12:58:43 AM
At 10/27/2016 12:44:24 AM, uncung wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

as per your statement the story of Prometheus stole the fire from Zeus must be true as well.

Yes. Believing in the story is easy part. To know who is right and who is wrong, becomes now the rollercoaster twisting to those taking its ride deep into these morality of truths dividing us. One God wishes humanity to have the knowledge of fire. The other God says humanity must not have the knowledge of this light. The obvious answer may not always be the right answer. Or maybe it is.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 12:59:48 AM

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

And, I would entirely agree with you, that's an honest assessment. We can go so far as to say that if that one is true, then another one is probably true, as well. But then, if those two are true, what's to say another one might be true, and another and another and ... eventually, over time, there are many such stories told far and wide ... and of course, they must all be true.

How are we going to convince the one true God that all of those stories were true?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 1:14:01 AM
At 10/27/2016 12:59:48 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

And, I would entirely agree with you, that's an honest assessment. We can go so far as to say that if that one is true, then another one is probably true, as well. But then, if those two are true, what's to say another one might be true, and another and another and ... eventually, over time, there are many such stories told far and wide ... and of course, they must all be true.

How are we going to convince the one true God that all of those stories were true?

Well, at least we haven't gone down the devil conspiracy path yet.

You know, the one where all these stories magically existed before the Bible reproduced them because Satan knew the events the prophets and disciples were to describe would occur. Therefore, he purposely got people to create those same myths centuries beforehand to try and discredit the "true" stories.

For me, that's one of the all-time classics of trying to weasel your way out of an impossible dilemma.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 1:22:07 AM
At 10/27/2016 12:59:48 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

1. The Father
2. The Son
3. The Holy Spirit

I'm referring to stories that have similarities. Zeus was the God of gods. The name of gods change through the ages, but the gods remain the same. The story of the Theft of Fire is symbolized today as the Olympic torch. Reading this story, and one can only see a relation to stories told by Luciferians, Christians, and others about whom may be the real saviors of humanity.

If you don't know the stories, then just walk away. It would be nice to actually have a real discussion about these stories. I once received a medal that has in its center, the Olympic torch. Above the torch are the scales of justice. To the right of the torch is a lamp. To the left of the torch is a smaller torch - the Gideon torch. Above this torch is an open book, representing the Bible. All these symbols have meanings. Some meanings have multiple meanings. Sifting through all the meanings, adding the meaning behind these meanings, a larger meaning comes into focus.