Total Posts:197|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why us?

Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:44:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think that it is totally unfair that everybody in the whole entire world seems to attack Christians the most. Why? Beats me, but I don't see how anyone can deny that. Is it because we are the biggest faith? Is it because we actually present the best case? I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me, disagreed with me, or had any other opinions. Have fun.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:51:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 4:47:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You, sir, are an imbecile.

I think it would be fairer to say I have the faith of an imbecile like Jesus told us to.

Now stop calling me a little kid and back up your argument.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:54:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Christians present the best case? Since when? I have seen other religions present much better cases.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:55:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know why you're on a debate site with that attitude. Lol. If you don't like it, why come to a site where all beliefs are analyzed and ripped apart?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:58:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 4:51:37 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:47:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You, sir, are an imbecile.

I think it would be fairer to say I have the faith of an imbecile like Jesus told us to.

Sigged.

Now stop calling me a little kid and back up your argument.

It wasn't an argument. I was remarking upon the little use I would be making of my time by arguing with you.
It's also not my burden. I find your post ridiculous because the premise of your question is unsubstantiated.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:58:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 4:55:41 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why you're on a debate site with that attitude. Lol. If you don't like it, why come to a site where all beliefs are analyzed and ripped apart?

Good point, but I just think I should make a point here. I'm not talking about in this one little debate; I'm talking on a global scale. I think that world wide, Christianity is persecuted or attacked most viciously. With almost every single atheist/agnostic I talk to, they always say, "Muslim's or cool. I think the Buddhist have it pretty close, and I really understand the Hindus. But you Christians are just hypocrites." (That doesn't apply to everybody, but it is a fair point)
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:00:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 4:58:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:51:37 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:47:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You, sir, are an imbecile.

I think it would be fairer to say I have the faith of an imbecile like Jesus told us to.

Sigged.

Now stop calling me a little kid and back up your argument.

It wasn't an argument. I was remarking upon the little use I would be making of my time by arguing with you.
It's also not my burden. I find your post ridiculous because the premise of your question is unsubstantiated.

Jesus told us to have the faith of a child. I'm sorry you find it funny that the guy that's saving your tail if you like it or not wants us to believe in Him.

How is it unsubstanciated? I made this as a DISCUSSION. I'm not stupid enough to sit here and scream at everyone.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:03:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:00:02 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:58:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:51:37 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:47:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You, sir, are an imbecile.

I think it would be fairer to say I have the faith of an imbecile like Jesus told us to.

Sigged.

Now stop calling me a little kid and back up your argument.

It wasn't an argument. I was remarking upon the little use I would be making of my time by arguing with you.
It's also not my burden. I find your post ridiculous because the premise of your question is unsubstantiated.

Jesus told us to have the faith of a child. I'm sorry you find it funny that the guy that's saving your tail if you like it or not wants us to believe in Him.

How is it unsubstanciated? I made this as a DISCUSSION. I'm not stupid enough to sit here and scream at everyone.

Question: "Why us?"

Premise: That it is you.

Substantiation: none

Buffoonery: Plenty
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:16:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Stop acting like the real imbecile and taking what I say out of context. You need to back up with you believe with evidence. Here's some food for thought:

1. 200 million people in over 60 countries are being persecuted for just being Christian.

2. If you visit China, you can't pass out Bibles. Let's say I bring in 5 Bibles to China. The customs officers make sure I bring 5 out.

3. Many claim that Christians are hypoctritical. Some are, but there's SOME hypocrites in every faith (yes, atheism counts here). I don't think it's fair to judge an entire group of people off of your personal experiences.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:20:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:16:36 PM, Charles0103 wrote:

2. If you visit China, you can't pass out Bibles. Let's say I bring in 5 Bibles to China. The customs officers make sure I bring 5 out.

So? Christians shouldn't be handing out bibles to begin with. F*ck off and let people believe what they want. Stop trying to shove Christianity down everybody's throats. That could be partially why Christians are persecuted, people are tired of their bullsh*t.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:21:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 4:44:27 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I think that it is totally unfair that everybody in the whole entire world seems to attack Christians the most. Why? Beats me, but I don't see how anyone can deny that.:

Let's read about true Christian persecution at the hands of Caesar Nero.

"Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their center and become popular.

Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired." -- Tacitus

Is it because we are the biggest faith? Is it because we actually present the best case? I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me, disagreed with me, or had any other opinions. Have fun.:

Sure, Christianity receives flack, and so do Muslims, and so do Jews, and, and, and. But this is nothing compared to what early Christians endured and it certainly pales in comparison to the exquisite tortures devised by Christians in the Dark Ages against unbelivers and "heretics."

If Christianity is attacked, it's attacked on the basis of its aggressive, in-your-face proselytizing or the condescension of its leaders. Or maybe "attacked" is too strong an description. Jews in the holocaust were attacked, not merely mocked.

Do we often see Buddhism attacked? How do you personally account for the disparity? My guess is that Buddhists leave everyone else alone, generally. They have their beliefs but don't ingratiate themselves like snake-oil salesmen Christians.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:26:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I understand your point of view, but please look at it from ours. We are trying to let you understand that God loves you. Now stop acting like a 3 year old and sit down and talk about why.

Christians should be able to pass out Bibles if they want. Would you say the same about a Muslim passing out the Koran?

Now about the Dark Ages. By calling the Catholic Church true Christians is not fair. These men were NOT Christian. These men did not practice what Jesus taught. (The word Christian means like Christ, so if you don't TRY to follow Jesus, I can't call you a Christian).

You may say that "Oh that's not fair! You can't do that!" In fact, true Christians like Galileo or Isaac Newton were in existence. They believed in God and that His Son is Jesus, but they knew the Catholic Church was evil. I see the Catholic Church in the Dark Ages as much an oppressor to Christianity as any other religion.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:31:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:26:38 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I understand your point of view, but please look at it from ours. We are trying to let you understand that God loves you. Now stop acting like a 3 year old and sit down and talk about why.

Christians should be able to pass out Bibles if they want. Would you say the same about a Muslim passing out the Koran?

I certainly would. Nobody should be shoving their religion down other people's throats. It's all cool with me if you want to educate somebody about your religion, but let them come to you first asking you for guidance. Btw, same rule applies to atheists and anti-theists; leave the religious alone to believe what they believe.

Now about the Dark Ages. By calling the Catholic Church true Christians is not fair. These men were NOT Christian. These men did not practice what Jesus taught. (The word Christian means like Christ, so if you don't TRY to follow Jesus, I can't call you a Christian).

So who is a "real" Christian to you. You're using the exact same logic that muslims use when members of their faith do something they don't like: "Oh that guy isn't a true muslim, he doesn't understand islam, etc."
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:32:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
*So who is a "real" Christian to you?
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:34:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:32:39 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
*So who is a "real" Christian to you?

Someone or anyone who follows or is like Christ. Someone who runs around killing people is not one who follows or is like Christ. Therefore, they cannot be truly classified as a Christian.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:35:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
And by the way, it does work the same way with Islam. The mainstream Muslim community does not accept the views of the extremists involved with the Taliban party. It's the same system. Oh wait. I forgot! We're christians! We're suppose to be just bad guys!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:35:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 4:44:27 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I think that it is totally unfair that everybody in the whole entire world seems to attack Christians the most. Why? Beats me, but I don't see how anyone can deny that. Is it because we are the biggest faith? Is it because we actually present the best case? I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me, disagreed with me, or had any other opinions. Have fun.

LOL... so you're saying that the Christian faith which is the biggest by your own admission (1/3 of the entire world population) is unfairly attacked by the "whole entire world?" Christians for the most part aren't attacked ~ they're consistently appeased. If any religious group is attacked most unfairly it's Muslims... if you want to exclude things like Scientology and such.
President of DDO
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:36:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:16:36 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Stop acting like the real imbecile and taking what I say out of context. You need to back up with you believe with evidence. Here's some food for thought:

1. 200 million people in over 60 countries are being persecuted for just being Christian.

2. If you visit China, you can't pass out Bibles. Let's say I bring in 5 Bibles to China. The customs officers make sure I bring 5 out.

3. Many claim that Christians are hypoctritical. Some are, but there's SOME hypocrites in every faith (yes, atheism counts here). I don't think it's fair to judge an entire group of people off of your personal experiences.

Good, you've now addressed the substantiation. You're making progress. Now lets see if it holds up. That is called "debate". Welcome to debate.org.

Rebuttal to 1:
Firstly, I'm going to need a source for your numbers. If you don't have one, you're point is null.
Secondly, 200 million is not a lot compared to 7 billion people in the world as a whole.
Thirdly, this is completely leaving out the numbers of how many people from OTHER faiths are being persecuted.

Rebuttal to 2:
No religion may be publicly practiced in China. Christianity is not being singled out.

Rebuttal to 3:
I completely agree. However, this point is non sequitur and has absolutely no relevance to the question at hand.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:36:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:35:23 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:44:27 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I think that it is totally unfair that everybody in the whole entire world seems to attack Christians the most. Why? Beats me, but I don't see how anyone can deny that. Is it because we are the biggest faith? Is it because we actually present the best case? I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me, disagreed with me, or had any other opinions. Have fun.

LOL... so you're saying that the Christian faith which is the biggest by your own admission (1/3 of the entire world population) is unfairly attacked by the "whole entire world?" Christians for the most part aren't attacked ~ they're consistently appeased. If any religious group is attacked most unfairly it's Muslims... if you want to exclude things like Scientology and such.

We are attacked because we're the biggest. If you look at it, we're only like 2 billion people. There's about 4 billion people on earth.

People don't attack scientology because they aren't the guys in charge right now. Seeing as Christianity is on the decline, in the next 150 years or so, Islam will most likely to be attacked more viciously.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:37:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:26:38 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I understand your point of view, but please look at it from ours. We are trying to let you understand that God loves you. Now stop acting like a 3 year old and sit down and talk about why.

First of all, you're being condescending in more ways than one. Not only are you insulting someone's maturity because they have a different religious view than you, but you're insinuating that we should be THANKFUL for the fact that you came here and took it upon yourself to start preaching. If you want to have a conversation about religion, cool. What kind of logical or rational arguments do you have to contribute to the discussion? I could just as easily say to you, "We are trying to let you understand that there is no such thing as God. Now stop acting like a child who believes in Santa Clause, sit down and talk about why."
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:38:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:31:36 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
Btw, same rule applies to atheists and anti-theists; leave the religious alone to believe what they believe.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and not do that. There's no reason to put a special taboo on religion. If you advocate a taboo on that, you would have to put an equal halt on discussion of music, politics, economics, philosophy, sports, etc.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:39:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:36:54 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
We are attacked because we're the biggest. If you look at it, we're only like 2 billion people. There's about 4 billion people on earth.

http://www.adherents.com...

None of that is true. Not only are your stats wrong, but that's not why Christians are "attacked." I don't think they're attacked very much in the first place -- no more than others are attacked anyway (including atheists).

People don't attack scientology because they aren't the guys in charge right now. Seeing as Christianity is on the decline, in the next 150 years or so, Islam will most likely to be attacked more viciously.

That's not why Islam is being attacked lately but okay.
President of DDO
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:39:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:37:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/18/2011 5:26:38 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I understand your point of view, but please look at it from ours. We are trying to let you understand that God loves you. Now stop acting like a 3 year old and sit down and talk about why.

First of all, you're being condescending in more ways than one. Not only are you insulting someone's maturity because they have a different religious view than you, but you're insinuating that we should be THANKFUL for the fact that you came here and took it upon yourself to start preaching. If you want to have a conversation about religion, cool. What kind of logical or rational arguments do you have to contribute to the discussion? I could just as easily say to you, "We are trying to let you understand that there is no such thing as God. Now stop acting like a child who believes in Santa Clause, sit down and talk about why."

Stop putting words in my mouth! You're being just as "evil" as you say we are! By all means, I know you aren't THANKFUL. If I thought you were thankful, I wouldn't create a forum topic about how Christians are being PERSECUTED.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:40:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:39:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/18/2011 5:36:54 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
There's about 4 billion people on earth.

You're an idiot. And I think I'm starting to see what's going on here.

Sorry, that was a typo. I was getting ahead of myself. I meant 6!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:40:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:38:20 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/18/2011 5:31:36 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
Btw, same rule applies to atheists and anti-theists; leave the religious alone to believe what they believe.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and not do that. There's no reason to put a special taboo on religion. If you advocate a taboo on that, you would have to put an equal halt on discussion of music, politics, economics, philosophy, sports, etc.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but ok.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:41:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:39:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/18/2011 5:36:54 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
We are attacked because we're the biggest. If you look at it, we're only like 2 billion people. There's about 4 billion people on earth.

http://www.adherents.com...

None of that is true. Not only are your stats wrong, but that's not why Christians are "attacked." I don't think they're attacked very much in the first place -- no more than others are attacked anyway (including atheists).

People don't attack scientology because they aren't the guys in charge right now. Seeing as Christianity is on the decline, in the next 150 years or so, Islam will most likely to be attacked more viciously.

That's not why Islam is being attacked lately but okay.

I'm just going to respectfully disagree here because I don't like repeating myself.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 5:41:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/18/2011 5:40:24 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/18/2011 5:39:03 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/18/2011 5:36:54 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
There's about 4 billion people on earth.

You're an idiot. And I think I'm starting to see what's going on here.

Sorry, that was a typo. I was getting ahead of myself. I meant 6!

Closer to 7.