Jump to topic:

Jesus committed suicide; not sinless.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 1:50:36 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
That means you're not saved, that's a bugger ain't it?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 1:54:18 PM
The bible: 1 Timothy 4:1 "In the last days"they will follow lying spirits and teachings that come from demons"
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 1:58:29 PM
At 10/30/2016 1:54:18 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
The bible: 1 Timothy 4:1 "In the last days"they will follow lying spirits and teachings that come from demons"

There is a lot of silly nonsense in the Bible as well as some things which are sensible!
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 2:14:23 PM
At 10/30/2016 1:58:29 PM, tarantula wrote:

There is a lot of silly nonsense in the Bible as well as some things which are sensible!

I try not to dismiss the things I cannot understand. Instead, I build on the things are understandable.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 2:23:14 PM
At 10/30/2016 2:14:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

I try not to dismiss the things I cannot understand. Instead, I build on the things are understandable.
Like a sinless saviour who committed suicide and is not sinless.
He failed to save you so your god is sending you to his favourite torture chamber for eternity.
Liveone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 2:26:36 PM
At 10/30/2016 1:50:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
That means you're not saved, that's a bugger ain't it? : :

If you're a very deceived Christian, then you would have to admit that God killed himself according to their beliefs. LOL !!!!!!!

If you know the Truth, then you know the body named Jesus was only a visible illusion that isn't made of material things.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 3:11:53 PM
At 10/30/2016 2:23:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 10/30/2016 2:14:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Like a sinless saviour who committed suicide and is not sinless.
He failed to save you so your god is sending you to his favourite torture chamber for eternity.

No I'm definitely saved. No doubts. My enlightenments have been shown to me. You have nothing. Your idiotic posts prove you've got nothing.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 8:55:50 PM

Luckily Jesus didn"t commit a suicide. :)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 9:20:47 PM

Suicide is a sin because, according to Christian theology, you are throwing away the life that God gave you and not using it for purposes that glorify him. Whatever God does is in line with His own purposes; Jesus came to Earth quite explicitly to die for the sins of man. Jesus lived His life in accordance with God's purposes, since he submitted to being crucified. Even if He chose not to carry through, He is God, so it still wouldn't be sin, since sin is disobedience to God, and you can't disobey yourself.
#fail #tryagain
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 4:49:18 AM
At 10/30/2016 9:20:47 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Suicide is a sin because, according to Christian theology, you are throwing away the life that God gave you and not using it for purposes that glorify him. Whatever God does is in line with His own purposes; Jesus came to Earth quite explicitly to die for the sins of man. Jesus lived His life in accordance with God's purposes, since he submitted to being crucified. Even if He chose not to carry through, He is God, so it still wouldn't be sin, since sin is disobedience to God, and you can't disobey yourself.
#fail #tryagain
Got any evidence to support all these assertions?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:06:18 AM

Suicide is a sin because, according to Christian theology, you are throwing away the life that God gave you and not using it for purposes that glorify him.

God never gave me my life. It came from an egg from my mother fertilized by my father. I'm fairly sure God wasn't in the bed when that fertilization happened.

Whatever God does is in line with His own purposes; Jesus came to Earth quite explicitly to die for the sins of man. Jesus lived His life in accordance with God's purposes, since he submitted to being crucified.

Which means he came to commit suicide.

Even if He chose not to carry through, He is God, so it still wouldn't be sin, since sin is disobedience to God, and you can't disobey yourself.

Sure you can. Have you never disobeyed a New Year's resolution you set for yourself?

Regardless, you are painting God as a hypocrite. One rule for God (no rule) and another for us.

#fail #tryagain

Yes, I think you should.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:14:27 AM

I do find this as an interesting concept. Are we to argue, via this concept that you've brought up, that submission of any kind should be considered sinful or immoral?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:16:34 AM

#fail #tryagain

I agree with this statement, but I do wish to pick your brain for a moment here. If we are prohibited from throwing our lives away, why is such a thing achievable? Is there any cases where suicide wouldn't be considered a sin and be considered just?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:20:45 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:06:18 AM, dee-em wrote:

Suicide is a sin because, according to Christian theology, you are throwing away the life that God gave you and not using it for purposes that glorify him.

God never gave me my life. It came from an egg from my mother fertilized by my father. I'm fairly sure God wasn't in the bed when that fertilization happened.

We are, of course, speaking within the framework of Christian theology. If you believe that God played no part in your creation, that's your choice, but for the sake of the argument we're both assuming that God does exist.

Whatever God does is in line with His own purposes; Jesus came to Earth quite explicitly to die for the sins of man. Jesus lived His life in accordance with God's purposes, since he submitted to being crucified.

Even if He chose not to carry through, He is God, so it still wouldn't be sin, since sin is disobedience to God, and you can't disobey yourself.

Sure you can. Have you never disobeyed a New Year's resolution you set for yourself?

God doesn't suffer from lack of willpower like humans do.
Furthermore, it could be argued that disobeying your New Year's resolution was your true "will", since that's what you actually did in this scenario instead of the other thing.

Regardless, you are painting God as a hypocrite. One rule for God (no rule) and another for us.

God has a plan for everyone. It was His plan for us to do X with our lives, and not to throw our lives away through suicide. As soon as humans sinned, it became God's plan to die for the sins of man. Through the "suicide" of His physical body God was obeying His own will, whereas human suicide is not in obedience with God's will, making the latter sin and not the former.
Frankly, it doesn't even matter if God breaks His own rules or not. They're here for humans to follow. You're free to declare that the rules are applied unfairly and to not follow them as a result, but you aren't free to decide the consequences for breaking these rules, assuming that God exists.

#fail #tryagain

Yes, I think you should.

Now I remember why I and many other users normally stay away from the religion forum.

The DDO Blog:

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:24:28 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:14:27 AM, lannan13 wrote:

I do find this as an interesting concept. Are we to argue, via this concept that you've brought up, that submission of any kind should be considered sinful or immoral?
I mentioned suicide not submission.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:24:35 AM

Immortal beings cannot die. Therefore they cannot commit suicide.
Don't be deceived by a story which tells you that an immortal being died.
He is as alive as Superman and always will be.
The death was only an illusion created to fool the gullible. ;-)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:26:02 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:16:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:

#fail #tryagain

I agree with this statement, but I do wish to pick your brain for a moment here. If we are prohibited from throwing our lives away, why is such a thing achievable? Is there any cases where suicide wouldn't be considered a sin and be considered just?

If we aren't allowed to rape people, why are we physically capable of committing rape? Humans have the free will to successfully commit sinful acts, but this ability does not make these acts justified.
I can understand why people may reach the point where they'd be willing to commit suicide, but the act of suicide by humans is probably sinful in most if not all cases.

The DDO Blog:

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:27:30 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:20:45 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
As soon as humans sinned, it became God's plan to die for the sins of man
You need to read your book.
It was planned from before the foundations of the world (paraphrased) ergo so was Adam's alleged sin.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:29:05 AM

Now I remember why I and many other users normally stay away from the religion forum.
Because your indoctrination just doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:29:45 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:27:30 AM, bulproof wrote:
It was planned from before the foundations of the world (paraphrased) ergo so was Adam's alleged sin.

God foresaw that the need would arise for Him to do so, sure. What's your point?

The DDO Blog:

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:31:04 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:29:45 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/1/2016 5:27:30 AM, bulproof wrote:

God foresaw that the need would arise for Him to do so, sure. What's your point?
See the word planned.
What's your point?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:31:41 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:24:28 AM, bulproof wrote:

I realized that, but the story of the suicide shows Jesus's submission and acceptance of his fate.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:34:00 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:31:41 AM, lannan13 wrote:

I realized that, but the story of the suicide shows Jesus's submission and acceptance of his fate.
Submission to whom, it was his plan.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:44:17 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:34:00 AM, bulproof wrote:

Well, the fate of him having to die. He accepted the mission of his Father of having to die for humanity which would mean that he would have to submit to suicide in a way.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:44:57 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:26:02 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/1/2016 5:16:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:

#fail #tryagain

If we aren't allowed to rape people, why are we physically capable of committing rape? Humans have the free will to successfully commit sinful acts, but this ability does not make these acts justified.
I can understand why people may reach the point where they'd be willing to commit suicide, but the act of suicide by humans is probably sinful in most if not all cases.

Can you think of situation which it may be permissialbe?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:48:09 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:44:17 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Well, the fate of him having to die. He accepted the mission of his Father of having to die for humanity which would mean that he would have to submit to suicide in a way.
He is his father, I and the father are one (paraphased), it was his plan, he planned to commit suicide and he did, allegedly.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:51:51 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:48:09 AM, bulproof wrote:

He is his father, I and the father are one (paraphased), it was his plan, he planned to commit suicide and he did, allegedly.

Exactly, this is what I'm getting at. He submitted to this comand, though it was through himself, of suicide and performed it.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:53:30 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:51:51 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Exactly, this is what I'm getting at. He submitted to this comand, though it was through himself, of suicide and performed it.
He submitted to his command? That is just doing what you want to do.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 5:57:01 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:06:18 AM, dee-em wrote:

We are, of course, speaking within the framework of Christian theology. If you believe that God played no part in your creation, that's your choice, but for the sake of the argument we're both assuming that God does exist.

No, your words were "the life that God gave you". You must have meant God creating the first man and woman and then letting nature take its course. Creating the first two members of a species (silly, but accepted for the sake of argument) is very different to giving life to every single member of that species down thousands of generations. It is indisputable that my individual life has nothing to do with God regardless of whatever debt you feel we may owe him for allegedly creating the species. You, me and everyone else alive today are accidental mixing of genes and nothing to do with a supernatural entity.

God doesn't suffer from lack of willpower like humans do.

So you assert but that is irrelevant to my point. You are the one who raised the possibility that Jesus could have chosen not to carry through.

Furthermore, it could be argued that disobeying your New Year's resolution was your true "will", since that's what you actually did in this scenario instead of the other thing.

That's sophistry. Why make such a resolution if your "true will" was to break it?

God has a plan for everyone.

Assertion.

It was His plan for us to do X with our lives, and not to throw our lives away through suicide.

Assertion.

As soon as humans sinned, it became God's plan to die for the sins of man.

Assertion. Man "sinned" during the time of Noah and God supposedly had a very different plan then which involved an almost complete extermination of life on Earth. Very cool, eh?

Through the "suicide" of His physical body God was obeying His own will, whereas human suicide is not in obedience with God's will, making the latter sin and not the former.

Sorry, but God gave man free will according to Christian theology. If you give free will you can't complain when people exercise it. A suicide is obeying his or her own will, just like you assert Jesus/God did. Therefore God is a hypocrite.

Frankly, it doesn't even matter if God breaks His own rules or not. They're here for humans to follow.

So God is a tyrant?

You're free to declare that the rules are applied unfairly and to not follow them as a result, but you aren't free to decide the consequences for breaking these rules, assuming that God exists.

That sounds like a violation of free will to me.

#fail #tryagain

Yes, I think you should.

You get refuted too often?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 6:05:06 AM
At 11/1/2016 5:53:30 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/1/2016 5:51:51 AM, lannan13 wrote:

He submitted to his command? That is just doing what you want to do.

This depends on which Christian sect you are though. There are some Christian sects which believe that the Holy Trinity is three seperate entities, not one, so this would be him actually killing himself according to some Christian sects.