Jump to topic:

Delusional religious behaviour

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 12:08:38 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I have come across several people over the years, mainly on forums, whose take on religion is so very way out, they appear delusional. Some examples are these, I remember one guy on a US forum, I posted on some years ago, who claimed to be Jesus on his second coming, he couldn't understand why no one took him seriously. On this forum there is of course Brad," who believes he is a Saint, sent down by god to point out the error of our ways, including that of Christians. He could get into the Guinness Book of Records for the number of times he is banned, but resurrects himself again, and again and again! On another forum there is guy who reckons the teaching of Jesus was scientific and electrical (I kid you not!) Of course there are quite a number who seem to get a kick out of" people, who don't see it their way, roasting in the fires of hell! I have a relative, by marriage, who was a reasonable man until he got religion, but sadly completely lost it thereafter! Most of the people I have encountered with these way out religious views are males, but not exclusively so.

Although I have not met any myself, there at the members of ISIS whose take on Islam is so crazy and evil, you have to wonder where their brains are at!

Why does religion cause a minority to totally lose their grip on reality?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 12:56:26 PM
At 11/3/2016 12:08:38 PM, tarantula wrote:
I have come across several people over the years, mainly on forums, whose take on religion is so very way out, they appear delusional. Some examples are these, I remember one guy on a US forum, I posted on some years ago, who claimed to be Jesus on his second coming, he couldn't understand why no one took him seriously. On this forum there is of course Brad," who believes he is a Saint, sent down by god to point out the error of our ways, including that of Christians. He could get into the Guinness Book of Records for the number of times he is banned, but resurrects himself again, and again and again! On another forum there is guy who reckons the teaching of Jesus was scientific and electrical (I kid you not!) Of course there are quite a number who seem to get a kick out of" people, who don't see it their way, roasting in the fires of hell! I have a relative, by marriage, who was a reasonable man until he got religion, but sadly completely lost it thereafter! Most of the people I have encountered with these way out religious views are males, but not exclusively so.

Although I have not met any myself, there at the members of ISIS whose take on Islam is so crazy and evil, you have to wonder where their brains are at!

if there were no USA invasion then there would be no ISIS.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 12:59:24 PM
At 11/3/2016 12:08:38 PM, tarantula wrote:

Probably a number of reasons. I think each situation needs to be taken individually. This means exploring the person's past. I'll give you an example.

First off, this delusional idea of being God, the second coming, a saint, etc. is not relegated to a posi-religion or theism theme. Sometimes it's in the form of an anti-religion or theism theme. The mental institutions contain those who view themselves as God that are atheists.

On to the example. There was an Asian man that appeared on the Larry King show a few years back. He was referred to as a racist (Asian supremacist). During the interview, messages were flashing on the bottom of the screen saying "Hates whites", "Hates blacks", "Hates Asians". Larry King who I don't consider to be the best interviewer I believe had an ulterior motive in inviting him, which was to simply paint the man as a racist without getting into the "why" the man is racist. As the Asian man is trying to explain his racist view, Larry would just bombard him with questions like "why would you hate?", etc.

The interview was basically Larry asking questions he wasn't really interested in getting an answers to, and the Asian man giving answers not being asked. One of those answers was a description about why he (an atheist) considered himself God.

Well the reason for this man's racism (that Larry apparently wasn't really interested in), and delusional self deifying is because of the racial bullying he experienced by whites and blacks all of his life. He also explained that he hated Asians who conformed to a white dominant society, an answer to the less than accurate message at the bottom of the screen "Hates Asians".

The common theme here, whether it's on a posi-religion/theism theme, or an anti-religion/theism theme, is focus on self being the object of glorification. And in either case, religion is still attached, probably because the concept of God, sainthood, etc. represents power. The intent is to illuminate self whether their personal manifest promotes a religious theme, or atheistic theme.