Total Posts:107|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christian Pet Peeves

MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:01:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi there. My name is Christina, I'm a junior in high school, and I've been in a constant wrestling match with my Christian faith for about four years now. I want to be moral, but I want to be liked. I want to be a servant of God, without doling out judgment I have no right to pass.

So my question for you, DDO citizens, is what is your BIGGEST PET PEEVE about Christians? What do they do or say, what manner do they behave in that really gets under your skin and makes them unlikable?

Obviously, some of the problems you perceive are actually unfix-able without eliminating practice of the faith, but some of the things you might hate really are things we ought not be doing.

I want to relate to you. I feel as though Christians and Non-Believers and Islams and everyone else is just appalling to each other all because of our spiritual convictions. So tell me. What about Christians REALLY bugs you? I'd like to put an end any of that in my life, if it's present.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:19:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
One thing that really gets me is the fact that christians claim to reject the OT, yet many of them quote it when it's convenient for them such as on issues like homosexuality. Enough with the cherry picking, you either reject it like you claim to or you follow the damn thing.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:21:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:19:43 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
One thing that really gets me is the fact that christians claim to reject the OT, yet many of them quote it when it's convenient for them such as on issues like homosexuality. Enough with the cherry picking, you either reject it like you claim to or you follow the damn thing.

Oh my gosh. For the love of all that is good, you do not understand what I am saying! The Old Testament isn't one great big book. It's a bunch of little books piled into one. Some of the books like Genesis are like tall tales and myths. While others, like Isaiah or Psalms are books that are fact. It isn't one big book. You can't say, "Yep. I'm following the whole thing." But seeing as I don't belong on this forum topic, I'll leave.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:23:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:19:43 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
One thing that really gets me is the fact that christians claim to reject the OT, yet many of them quote it when it's convenient for them such as on issues like homosexuality. Enough with the cherry picking, you either reject it like you claim to or you follow the damn thing.

Yeah, that's how I see it. I don't know this well enough to stand up and say that I fully accept or reject the OT but apparently some of the OT is reaffirmed in the NT and the other parts it's ok to reject. But I don't know what those parts are, admittedly, so I keep that business out of other people's throats. That's something that bugs me about Christians as well. It's a good one. lol
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:24:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:21:13 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/19/2011 6:19:43 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
One thing that really gets me is the fact that christians claim to reject the OT, yet many of them quote it when it's convenient for them such as on issues like homosexuality. Enough with the cherry picking, you either reject it like you claim to or you follow the damn thing.

Oh my gosh. For the love of all that is good, you do not understand what I am saying! The Old Testament isn't one great big book. It's a bunch of little books piled into one. Some of the books like Genesis are like tall tales and myths. While others, like Isaiah or Psalms are books that are fact. It isn't one big book. You can't say, "Yep. I'm following the whole thing." But seeing as I don't belong on this forum topic, I'll leave.

it is one book though. its referred to as "the bible" and "the word of god". deciding that only the books (or passages) you like count is hypocritical.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:24:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:01:29 PM, MewxVenus wrote:
Hi there. My name is Christina, I'm a junior in high school, and I've been in a constant wrestling match with my Christian faith for about four years now. I want to be moral, but I want to be liked. I want to be a servant of God, without doling out judgment I have no right to pass.

Thou shalt not judge. If you were a true christian you wouldn't judge anyway.

So my question for you, DDO citizens, is what is your BIGGEST PET PEEVE about Christians?

Judgmental
Anti-gay/homophobic
Anti-people that believe differently
Xenophobic
pro-war
Anti-personal choice/pro "moral" laws (like pot, against gay marriage, against prostitution etc. Not saying people should do those things, just saying laws shouldn't have a place for them. Personal choice that christians tend to feel the need to take away)
anti-exploring
And tend to try and bring religion into everything.

Basically you can believe whatever you want, just keep it to yourself.
Christians that feel the need to covert others piss me off.

What do they do or say, what manner do they behave in that really gets under your skin and makes them unlikable?

Holier than thou preachy attitudes, bible waving, making religion a part of their life that affects others, acting like "christian" values is synonymous to correct and right values, and everyone else is just wrong.

Obviously, some of the problems you perceive are actually unfix-able without eliminating practice of the faith, but some of the things you might hate really are things we ought not be doing.

The only thing you need to practice your faith is to believe yourself, and PRIVATELY pray.

I want to relate to you. I feel as though Christians and Non-Believers and Islams and everyone else is just appalling to each other all because of our spiritual convictions.

People that practice Islam are called Muslims. And yes, religion is something that people have a right to,but leave others OUT OF IT.
Another thing is child indoctrination.

So tell me. What about Christians REALLY bugs you? I'd like to put an end any of that in my life, if it's present.

Alright,just read anything I posted above.

See also denying the OT except where its convenient (For example, ignore the law against wearing mixed cloth, while preacing how gays are gunna burn. Stuff like that.)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:25:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:21:13 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/19/2011 6:19:43 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
One thing that really gets me is the fact that christians claim to reject the OT, yet many of them quote it when it's convenient for them such as on issues like homosexuality. Enough with the cherry picking, you either reject it like you claim to or you follow the damn thing.

Oh my gosh. For the love of all that is good, you do not understand what I am saying! The Old Testament isn't one great big book. It's a bunch of little books piled into one. Some of the books like Genesis are like tall tales and myths. While others, like Isaiah or Psalms are books that are fact. It isn't one big book. You can't say, "Yep. I'm following the whole thing." But seeing as I don't belong on this forum topic, I'll leave.

But jesus said it was no longer needed in its entirely, did he not? Either you follow the whole thing or you reject the whole thing, unless you're a messianic jew of course.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:25:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:21:13 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Some of the books like Genesis are like tall tales and myths. While others, like Isaiah or Psalms are books that are fact. It isn't one big book. You can't say, "Yep. I'm following the whole thing."

Ok, I don't know what religion this dude is, but Genesis, in my opinion, is upheld as fact. Psalms is a book of poems...We are supposed to uphold the NT, and the OT as far as the NT says...but again, idk specifics yet.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:26:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also not saying all those apply to you, just putting out the BIGGEST things I HATE about christians.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:27:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Those were laws that Moses made up for his people. I'm telling you, the bible isn't one book. It's a compilation of several different works. Some of them are tall tales, others are not. No one has gone through each one and looked. Sheesh. But whatever, I won't argue from that point anymore since no one understands.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:27:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We can eat pork and clams now, even tho the bible is against that, however its alright to own slaves! (that goes back a ways, but still)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:27:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Should I make a, "What is my biggest pet peeves about atheists?" What about muslims? Or jews? Or even Hindus or buddhists? No, we shouldn't. By creating this thread, you are as bad as you say i am.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:28:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:26:22 PM, lovelife wrote:
Also not saying all those apply to you, just putting out the BIGGEST things I HATE about christians.

Oh, no, don't worry. To be honest, a lot of what you said, I see all around me in my family and at various churches...I wish I could see those things changed, you know?
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:28:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:27:58 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Should I make a, "What is my biggest pet peeves about atheists?" What about muslims? Or jews? Or even Hindus or buddhists? No, we shouldn't. By creating this thread, you are as bad as you say i am.

did you even read it? lol... the OP is a christian...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:29:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:27:50 PM, lovelife wrote:
We can eat pork and clams now, even tho the bible is against that, however its alright to own slaves! (that goes back a ways, but still)

lol yea, technically christians are probably not supposed to eat pork or shellfish. I'm pretty sure that's in the same section that the stuff about homosexuality is...
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:29:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:27:58 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Should I make a, "What is my biggest pet peeves about atheists?" What about muslims? Or jews? Or even Hindus or buddhists? No, we shouldn't. By creating this thread, you are as bad as you say i am.

Christians are probably the most hated group for their hypocritical values and so out of respect for the world, I have given a place to vent. You really don't need to be rude.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:31:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think we are as "hypocritical" as any other religion, atheism is included. I'm just gonna go run off to the political thread where my opinions aren't stoned to death.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:33:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:31:30 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I think we are as "hypocritical" as any other religion, atheism is included. I'm just gonna go run off to the political thread where my opinions aren't stoned to death.

lol @ martyr complex
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:33:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I do not have a problem with Christians as a whole. There have been some individuals that I cannot stand but that is the same for other faiths. There is one thing that I cannot stand (and this is for any theist, not just Christians): I understand that faith is a tremendously big part of your life and identity and something that you hold to be very personal, but for that reason alone -- DO NOT FORCE IT ON ME. Whether that be through a guilt trip or a sermon, I do not have a problem with your faith until you make it my problem. Once you start condemning me to Hell and trying to force me to live by your standards, then the chance of a productive and happy conversation plummets.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:33:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:31:30 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I think we are as "hypocritical" as any other religion, atheism is included. I'm just gonna go run off to the political thread where my opinions aren't stoned to death.

...Your opinions are being "stoned to death" because you are speaking in an ignorant manner.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:35:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:33:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
I do not have a problem with Christians as a whole. There have been some individuals that I cannot stand but that is the same for other faiths. There is one thing that I cannot stand (and this is for any theist, not just Christians): I understand that faith is a tremendously big part of your life and identity and something that you hold to be very personal, but for that reason alone -- DO NOT FORCE IT ON ME. Whether that be through a guilt trip or a sermon, I do not have a problem with your faith until you make it my problem. Once you start condemning me to Hell and trying to force me to live by your standards, then the chance of a productive and happy conversation plummets.

Ok, seeing as how i seem to be the religious nut job here, I may not be the best one to say this, but I guess I am. I understand exactly what you're talking about, ann. With every athiest I talk to and to every group of people I preach to, they always talk about how seemingly hypocritical we are. And yes, a large majority of the Christian community is hypocritical. Christians need to get focused again and actually follow Jesus. However, I think people should look past the hypocrites and toward the real core of the faith.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:36:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I hate when christians act as if they are better than everyone else and or that they are more moral. I also hate when they hate on gays.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:38:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:36:28 PM, rogue wrote:
I hate when christians act as if they are better than everyone else and or that they are more moral. I also hate when they hate on gays.

I feel ya there. I personally tolerate homosexuals. Jesus himself never mentioned anything about homosexuality, so we can't conclude he hated them. Jesus did say we needed to love our neighbors, love your enemies, and so I would ASSUME that we are suppose to treat gays equally. But those are just my ramblings.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:38:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How about instead of preaching to everybody in site christians actually wait for people to come to them first. If somebody shows interest then it would be alright to educate them about christianity.

Another thing I really can't stand is christian charities. They have the whole "we'll help you, if you follow our religion" mentality. Helping people isn't about converting them to your belief system, but with providing them with aid. For this reason I'm very careful about which charities I support. I try to find the more secular ones.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:38:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
One bad apple spoils the bunch. Everyone is always convinced their right, regardless of faith or lack there of. A Christian who is genuinely concerned for someone's spiritual well being will get no where by speaking harshly. In fact, that's a scripture. If someone is ever going to be "converted" it will be when God is ready to convert them. We're just on stand by to help if needed, never before, never cruelly.

That is of course, assuming Christianity is the only true theism.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:39:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
*in sight

just a minor typo to fix.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:40:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:27:03 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Those were laws that Moses made up for his people. I'm telling you, the bible isn't one book. It's a compilation of several different works. Some of them are tall tales, others are not. No one has gone through each one and looked. Sheesh. But whatever, I won't argue from that point anymore since no one understands.

So, Moses the prophet made up stuff while Jesus said just as many impossible things? This does not make sense at all. Actually people have bothered to look. Many historians in fact and most say that most of the things that happened in the Bible are either exaggerated, changed, or made up.
MewxVenus
Posts: 143
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:40:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:38:41 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
How about instead of preaching to everybody in site christians actually wait for people to come to them first. If somebody shows interest then it would be alright to educate them about christianity.
Another thing I really can't stand is christian charities. They have the whole "we'll help you, if you follow our religion" mentality. Helping people isn't about converting them to your belief system, but with providing them with aid. For this reason I'm very careful about which charities I support. I try to find the more secular ones.

Yes~ that is what I was trying to say before haha

And on the charities...that is a shame. I wish we could learn to act in "the Lord's name" without forcing people to follow it.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:41:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:31:30 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I think we are as "hypocritical" as any other religion, atheism is included. I'm just gonna go run off to the political thread where my opinions aren't stoned to death.

Atheism is not a religion. Also, when have atheists killed in the name of atheism?
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 6:43:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/19/2011 6:35:16 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
At 1/19/2011 6:33:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
I do not have a problem with Christians as a whole. There have been some individuals that I cannot stand but that is the same for other faiths. There is one thing that I cannot stand (and this is for any theist, not just Christians): I understand that faith is a tremendously big part of your life and identity and something that you hold to be very personal, but for that reason alone -- DO NOT FORCE IT ON ME. Whether that be through a guilt trip or a sermon, I do not have a problem with your faith until you make it my problem. Once you start condemning me to Hell and trying to force me to live by your standards, then the chance of a productive and happy conversation plummets.

Ok, seeing as how i seem to be the religious nut job here, I may not be the best one to say this, but I guess I am. I understand exactly what you're talking about, ann. With every athiest I talk to and to every group of people I preach to, they always talk about how seemingly hypocritical we are. And yes, a large majority of the Christian community is hypocritical. Christians need to get focused again and actually follow Jesus. However, I think people should look past the hypocrites and toward the real core of the faith.

I agree with Ann mostly but what is the real core of the faith? The Catholics? The many different Protestant groups?