Jump to topic:

Wanted - a word.

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 7:54:23 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
You may have noticed I have been pedantic about defining agnosticism as the belief that knowledge of god's existence isn't simply currently unknown, it is 'forever unknowable'.

Anyone who is undecided and just waiting for more information before going one way or the other isn't really an 'agnostic' in the official sense. You have to believe no one will ever know if god exists to be an actual agnostic.

So anybody got a good greek/latinesque term for 'undecided waiters' to distinguish them from the real agnostics?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 8:05:54 PM
At 11/4/2016 7:54:23 PM, keithprosser wrote:
You may have noticed I have been pedantic about defining agnosticism as the belief that knowledge of god's existence isn't simply currently unknown, it is 'forever unknowable'.

Anyone who is undecided and just waiting for more information before going one way or the other isn't really an 'agnostic' in the official sense. You have to believe no one will ever know if god exists to be an actual agnostic.

So anybody got a good greek/latinesque term for 'undecided waiters' to distinguish them from the real agnostics?

Well, gnosis is a noun that simply means knowledge and is derived from the verb ginosko which simply means "to ascertain, to know." The common usage of both words pertains to a knowledge gained by some sort of personal experience. Agnostos simply means "without knowledge, not ascertaining, or ignorant. The word carries no indication of the duration, or possible duration, of this lack of knowledge: it merely states a present state. To try to insert a duration is to stretch the definition, i. e. redefine the word.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 8:23:29 PM

I dunno, "pautheist", maybe? One who pauses in regard to belief about god?(https://en.wikipedia.org...)

In any case, such a position would be in direct response to the definition of god that is being claimed. Certainly, one who is hesitant to believe without further evidence surely isn't holding a particular notion of god that is believed to be true. Agnostic is pretty nebulous and it originally regarded the "first cause and essential nature of things" (http://www.etymonline.com...).

In regard to a god that is defined to exist outside of the universe and *not* interact with the universe, then agnosticism is quite justified. However, if a god is defined in such a way as to interact with the universe in ways in which the interactions are theoretically recognizable and testable (i.e. prayer), then I don't believe agnosticism is as justified.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 8:27:25 PM

Fraktis kathimenos
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 8:42:49 PM

Well, I do see some problems.
Knowledge is a justified true belief.
I, for one, have a justified true belief in the existence of God.

I am not alone in this.

Sorry you do not see it, not my problem.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 8:51:51 PM
At 11/4/2016 8:27:25 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Fraktis kathimenos

A tad literal and a bit long, but I could go with 'Fraktism'. I'll try it at a party sometime. "Actually, I'm a Fraktist."
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 8:53:18 PM
At 11/4/2016 8:51:51 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 11/4/2016 8:27:25 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Fraktis kathimenos

A tad literal and a bit long, but I could go with 'Fraktism'. I'll try it at a party sometime. "Actually, I'm a Fraktist."

If you say that at a party, odds are someone will call the police :)
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:07:35 PM
Well, that rather depends on the sort of party, Sidey.

But they might just think I'm into fracking. In Latin 'fence' is 'saepe' so I could be a saepist instead, if I can work out how to say it. sah-epist. say-pist? sayp-ist?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:22:53 PM
"Theo-ditherous"

"Theo-ambivelent"

"Theo-indefinate"

"Theo-irresolute"

"God-waffling"
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:28:02 PM
At 11/4/2016 9:07:35 PM, keithprosser wrote:

But they might just think I'm into fracking. In Latin 'fence' is 'saepe' so I could be a saepist instead, if I can work out how to say it. sah-epist. say-pist? sayp-ist?

I guess you don't watch Battlestar Galactica.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:33:07 PM
At 11/4/2016 9:28:02 PM, janesix wrote:

You are 100% correct! I don't avoid it - I don't watch TV.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:38:51 PM
At 11/4/2016 9:07:35 PM, keithprosser wrote:

"Can you sae pist?" "He sure was!"
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:42:18 PM
At 11/4/2016 9:33:07 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 11/4/2016 9:28:02 PM, janesix wrote:

You are 100% correct! I don't avoid it - I don't watch TV.

Smart.