Jump to topic:

What is the difference...........

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 11:20:04 AM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
...........between so called 'prophecy' and fortune telling? Some Christians will condemn those who seek out fortune tellers to predict their future, but believe those who claim to make future predictions or prophecies in the name of the Biblical god. Most of the prophecies in the Bible are as clear as mud, and can be predicted any which way!
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 11:48:08 AM
At 11/7/2016 11:20:04 AM, tarantula wrote:
...........between so called 'prophecy' and fortune telling? Some Christians will condemn those who seek out fortune tellers to predict their future, but believe those who claim to make future predictions or prophecies in the name of the Biblical god. Most of the prophecies in the Bible are as clear as mud, and can be predicted any which way!

Prophecy is by prophets, religious teachers of faith, fortune tellers are generally gypsies known for stealing money
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 11:49:43 AM

Prophesy, fortune telling, clairvoyance, astrology.....they are all the same thing and have been going on since time immemorial.
So long as there are con-artists with the intent of making gain from the weak, naive and gullible, this sort of dishonesty will always thrive.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 12:04:03 PM
At 11/7/2016 11:48:08 AM, KwLm wrote:

Prophecy is by prophets, religious teachers of faith, fortune tellers are generally gypsies known for stealing money

In others words no difference, they are both scam merchants! Remember that idiot Harold Campion?
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 12:22:44 PM
At 11/7/2016 12:04:03 PM, tarantula wrote:

In others words no difference, they are both scam merchants! Remember that idiot Harold Campion?

More or less, yeah that jackass got so much money from the gullible though, makes me want to start being a prophet
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 12:30:34 PM
At 11/7/2016 12:22:44 PM, KwLm wrote:

More or less, yeah that jackass got so much money from the gullible though, makes me want to start being a prophet

It is sad some people are so gullible!
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 2:13:41 PM

It's all superstitious nonsense. But we humans are prone to superstition, and falling for nonsense.

On the other hand, predicting future events based on present conditions is something that we all need to engage in to some degree, and a reasonable practice when engaged in reasonably. So I suppose it was never much of a stretch to our "spiritualizing" it.
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:07:32 PM
At 11/7/2016 12:30:34 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 11/7/2016 12:22:44 PM, KwLm wrote:

It is sad some people are so gullible!

Aye and when shown the truth they argue and fight to keep their delusion
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:12:03 PM
...........between so called 'prophecy' and fortune telling? Some Christians will condemn those who seek out fortune tellers to predict their future, but believe those who claim to make future predictions or prophecies in the name of the Biblical god. Most of the prophecies in the Bible are as clear as mud, and can be predicted any which way! : :

All of God's prophecies about the future come true. Fortune telling is vague knowledge that something might happen in the future that some people believe in.

In fact, I'm the one God is using to end the 1,000 year reign of Christ which has to happen before the day of the Lord that will destroy everything on the earth besides melting the illusions into a Lake of Fire.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:12:40 PM
At 11/7/2016 2:13:41 PM, PureX wrote:
It's all superstitious nonsense.
God belief in a nutshell.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:35:04 PM
Point of pedantry - prophecy is the noun, prophesy is the verb. So if I prophesy X, X is a prophecy.

The meaning of 'prophet' has changed subtly over the centuries.

In biblical terms, prophets were not predictors of the future. They were God's spokesmen and generally they made comments about current affair and conditions. Their comments on the future were generally limited to short-term warnings of dire consequences if the Hebrew carried as the were, and were not long-term visions of the future. They can be taken as sermons rather than clairvoyant visions.

Out-and-out fortune telling may have been a small part of the prophets job (cf Isaih1 14), but it wasn't their main function, which was to communicate to the king and people what was in the mind of God. Fortune telling per se was done by scriers and sorcerors, such as the one Saul consults in 1 Samuel 28 and was always looked down on.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:41:26 PM
At 11/7/2016 3:12:40 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/7/2016 2:13:41 PM, PureX wrote:
It's all superstitious nonsense.
God belief in a nutshell.

Only for those who shun specificity and complexity so that they can wallow and stagnate in the presumption of their own righteousness.
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:41:46 PM
At 11/7/2016 3:35:04 PM, keithprosser wrote:
Point of pedantry - prophecy is the noun, prophesy is the verb. So if I prophesy X, X is a prophecy.

The meaning of 'prophet' has changed subtly over the centuries.

In biblical terms, prophets were not predictors of the future. They were God's spokesmen and generally they made comments about current affair and conditions. Their comments on the future were generally limited to short-term warnings of dire consequences if the Hebrew carried as the were, and were not long-term visions of the future. They can be taken as sermons rather than clairvoyant visions.

Out-and-out fortune telling may have been a small part of the prophets job (cf Isaih1 14), but it wasn't their main function, which was to communicate to the king and people what was in the mind of God. Fortune telling per se was done by scriers and sorcerors, such as the one Saul consults in 1 Samuel 28 and was always looked down on. : :

I can easily see you don't have a clue what a biblical prophecy is. Did you know most prophecies that God's prophets wrote for Him are not yet fulfilled?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:54:15 PM
At 11/7/2016 3:41:46 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:
<stuff>

I wrote what I believe is the consensus among bible scholars.

You are quite wrong to think I don't understand what you believe about prophecy. I know what your position is, but I do not share it.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 4:32:11 PM

None. They are one and the same, all so general and unspecific that they can be made to say whatever one wishes them to.
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 4:39:10 PM
At 11/7/2016 3:54:15 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 11/7/2016 3:41:46 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:
<stuff>

I wrote what I believe is the consensus among bible scholars.

You are quite wrong to think I don't understand what you believe about prophecy. I know what your position is, but I do not share it. : :

There is only ONE interpretation of each prophecy. The commonly shared interpretations by Christians are many various ones that have kept them confused and guessing ever since the first heathen tried to interpret them. Without God teaching them the future and how we're created, they will remain confused and guessing as to what the prophecies are about.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:21:19 PM
As I said, I understand your position but I don't agree with it.

Neither of us us going to change their mind and anybody else people reading this thread have probably already made theirs up on what has already been posted so I see no point continuing - do you?