Jump to topic:

why is stopping believers so important to you

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 4:51:31 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
Lots on here spend all their time trying to stop believers believing, I just want to understand why??
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 4:53:30 PM
At 11/7/2016 4:51:31 PM, graceofgod wrote:
Lots on here spend all their time trying to stop believers believing, I just want to understand why??

Because actions that result from baseless beliefs often harm those who do not share those beliefs. If all believers stopped trying to make laws to force others to follow their belief system you would hear nothing from me.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 4:55:46 PM
At 11/7/2016 4:53:30 PM, dhardage wrote:

Because actions that result from baseless beliefs often harm those who do not share those beliefs. If all believers stopped trying to make laws to force others to follow their belief system you would hear nothing from me.

what laws force others to believe a given religious system...

Is making speech against certain groups exactly the same thing...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:02:23 PM
I don't know of any sweety.
How about you make a list?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:17:42 PM
At 11/7/2016 4:55:46 PM, graceofgod wrote:

To answer your first question, marriage laws and blasphemy laws. Would it surprise you to know that there are still laws on the books in certain states that prohibit atheists from holding office, unconstitutional though they are?

To answer your second, no. A speech has no legal authority and is an attempt to convince. It's when a legislator proposes a law based purely on religious preference that has no other basis that it becomes objectionable.
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:21:25 PM
Lots on here spend all their time trying to stop believers believing, I just want to understand why?? : :

Believing in WHAT?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:22:01 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:17:42 PM, dhardage wrote:

To answer your first question, marriage laws and blasphemy laws. Would it surprise you to know that there are still laws on the books in certain states that prohibit atheists from holding office, unconstitutional though they are?
yes it would .... but i'm not in the states..

marriage laws, I thought civil marriage had been going ages, I guess that wasn't enough..
To answer your second, no. A speech has no legal authority and is an attempt to convince. It's when a legislator proposes a law based purely on religious preference that has no other basis that it becomes objectionable.

really, when you can be arrested for what you say...

I think you have that wrong...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:22:44 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:21:25 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:
Lots on here spend all their time trying to stop believers believing, I just want to understand why?? : :

Believing in WHAT?

In God ....
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:27:11 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:22:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Believing in WHAT?

In God .... : :

God means a lot of things to God's people. What do you mean by "in God"?

Have you ever heard the voice of God? That's what they Bible is about.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:28:22 PM

That's not what anyone is trying to do. You can believe whatever childish fantasies you wish. No one is forcing you to act like an adult.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:28:58 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:27:11 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:

Believing in WHAT?

oh boy, not you again, how many accounts do you make...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:29:27 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:22:01 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Do a little research. You might be surprised at some of the things you'd learn.

marriage laws, I thought civil marriage had been going ages, I guess that wasn't enough..

Any time, and let me reiterate for those of you with comprehension problems, ANY TIME you try to make someone else behave as you wish solely due to your religion, you've stepped over that line between religion and law. They are not the same.

Unless you're promoting violence or threatening someone, you can say pretty much anything you want in this country. But that means that I or anyone else has just as much freedom to tell you that what you're saying is stupid. Your feelings are not constitutionally protected, just your right to speak.

I don't believe so.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:30:15 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:28:22 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That's not what anyone is trying to do. You can believe whatever childish fantasies you wish. No one is forcing you to act like an adult.

lol .. this place is full of people determined to stop believers believing...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:30:55 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:30:15 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Prove it, or stfu.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:36:11 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:28:58 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Believing in WHAT?

oh boy, not you again, how many accounts do you make... : :

The whole Bible is about the voice of God which is the only source to learn how we're created and what the future is. Have you ever heard the voice of God?

Deuteronomy 28:
1: And if you obey the voice of the LORD your God, being careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.
2: And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the LORD your God.

Jeremiah 7:
23: But this command I gave them, `Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.'

Jeremiah 11:
4: which I commanded your fathers when I brought them out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, Listen to my voice, and do all that I command you. So shall you be my people, and I will be your God,

Revelation 3:
20: Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

John 5:
25: "Truly, truly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

John 18:
37: Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice."

Exodus 15:
26: saying, "If you will diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give heed to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases upon you which I put upon the Egyptians; for I am the LORD, your healer."

Daniel 9:
9: To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness; because we have rebelled against him,
10: and have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God by following his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets.
11: All Israel has transgressed thy law and turned aside, refusing to obey thy voice. And the curse and oath which are written in the law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out upon us, because we have sinned against him.

You don't listen to the voice of God here in this forum when it's presented to you.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:36:45 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:30:55 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Prove it, or stfu.

just read the majority of topics, oops sorry, In your case, get someone to read for you the amount of topics posted by atheists in an attempt to stop people believing...

try not to pee your pants when you feel threatened...lol
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:38:44 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:36:45 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Prove it, or stfu.

just read the majority of topics, oops sorry, In your case, get someone to read for you the amount of topics posted by atheists in an attempt to stop people believing...

You have shown to have severe reading comprehension problems, so your view on what people say is confused.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:38:56 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:36:11 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:

Believing in WHAT?

The whole Bible is about the voice of God which is the only source to learn how we're created and what the future is. Have you ever heard the voice of God?

Deuteronomy 28:
1: And if you obey the voice of the LORD your God, being careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.
2: And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the LORD your God.

Jeremiah 7:
23: But this command I gave them, `Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.'

Jeremiah 11:
4: which I commanded your fathers when I brought them out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, Listen to my voice, and do all that I command you. So shall you be my people, and I will be your God,

Revelation 3:
20: Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

John 5:
25: "Truly, truly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

John 18:
37: Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice."

Exodus 15:
26: saying, "If you will diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give heed to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases upon you which I put upon the Egyptians; for I am the LORD, your healer."

Daniel 9:
9: To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness; because we have rebelled against him,
10: and have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God by following his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets.
11: All Israel has transgressed thy law and turned aside, refusing to obey thy voice. And the curse and oath which are written in the law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out upon us, because we have sinned against him.

You don't listen to the voice of God here in this forum when it's presented to you.

I don't accept any authority you claim for yourself.... bye....
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:41:02 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:38:44 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Prove it, or stfu.

You have shown to have severe reading comprehension problems, so your view on what people say is confused.

lol you seriously lack originality, personality, intellect.... suffice to say the list is exhaustive .... did I mentioned threatened..lol
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 5:42:42 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:38:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Believing in WHAT?

Deuteronomy 28:

Jeremiah 7:

Jeremiah 11:

Revelation 3:

John 5:

John 18:

Exodus 15:

Daniel 9:

I don't accept any authority you claim for yourself.... bye.... : :

You don't accept the Lord's servants preaching the Gospel. In fact, you have never heard the voice of God before so you reject it. You believe in your own interpretations of what you read in the Bible instead and then go teach those false interpretations thinking you're wise. If you have never heard the voice of the Lord, you will never gain wisdom.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 9:34:39 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:42:42 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:
At 11/7/2016 5:38:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:

You don't accept the Lord's servants preaching the Gospel. In fact, you have never heard the voice of God before so you reject it.

Then leave him alone. Stop telling us the same thing over and over. If a person does not want to believe you, leave them alone.

We know you think you're the voice of God. We know you think only you know the truth. Fine. We think you are a deluded idiot. Belief is not by force. You've told us over and over what you think. We get, it but we do not believe you. Can you comprehend that?

Do you think we'll suddenly start believing you if you repeat the same irrational nonsense over and over?

So, please, we know your delusion. We've heard it so many times, we're convinced you're completely deluded. You've told us. We've declined your kind offer to worship you. Now please stop offering us the same stupid thing we've repeatedly told you we dont want.

Surely even you can understand a "No, thank you." Stop being a rude bore.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 10:46:44 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:29:27 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 11/7/2016 5:22:01 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Do a little research. You might be surprised at some of the things you'd learn.
you should try reading the bible then.....

Any time, and let me reiterate for those of you with comprehension problems, ANY TIME you try to make someone else behave as you wish solely due to your religion, you've stepped over that line between religion and law. They are not the same.
so when the law stops you saying what is true in case some minoity get excited , i guess that is ok...

Unless you're promoting violence or threatening someone, you can say pretty much anything you want in this country. But that means that I or anyone else has just as much freedom to tell you that what you're saying is stupid. Your feelings are not constitutionally protected, just your right to speak.
nope, you can just be speaking the truth but some groups seem to be protected , perhaps they need momma....

I don't believe so.

maybe but I know so...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 1:54:25 AM
At 11/7/2016 5:41:02 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/7/2016 5:38:44 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Prove it, or stfu.

lol you seriously lack originality, personality, intellect.... suffice to say the list is exhaustive .... did I mentioned threatened..lol
I asked you for the list in post #4 and you are still running from it. BTW you will be required to present evidence.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 4:55:15 AM

Believing in WHAT?

Deuteronomy 28:

Jeremiah 7:

Jeremiah 11:

Revelation 3:

John 5:

John 18:

Exodus 15:

Daniel 9:

That's not the voice of God.
It is ramblings taken from ancient screeds and sold to those naive and gullible enough to believe such nonsense.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 6:31:11 AM

If you really wanted to understand the reason why, you would no longer believe in such ridiculous invisible master nonsense. And that won't happen, will it?
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 7:09:06 AM

Does rational thinking require the adherence to beliefs at all? Does productive science, ethics, or a satisfied life require any attachment to a belief of any kind? Can we predict future events, act on data, theories, and facts without resorting to the ownership of belief? One need not own beliefs of any kind to establish scientific facts, observe and enjoy nature, or live a productive, moral, and useful life.
To replace our thoughts with intransigent beliefs belies the very nature of the very creative thinking process which keeps us alive.
I maintain that faiths (types of beliefs) create more social problems than they solve and the potential dangers from them could threaten the future of humankind.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 7:12:17 AM

I don't pretend my actions will stop them. But I want to point how how these believers force their religious beliefs on others through legislation and that's it's hypocritical and IMO immoral.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 9:35:19 AM
Quote: "I do not believe....I know" Carl Gustav Jung. 1875-1961.Believers always fall back on the bastion of Faith.Unassilable,immovable Belief.There is of course no way to shake the foundations of belief but it's fun to try.Why?.Because believers may effect pious,humble Samaritan-like demeanor but they are just as venal and self serving as the rest of us.
See the happy moron: he doesn't give a damn:I wish I were a moron:My God! perhaps I am!. Anonymous.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 11:22:21 AM

I will challenge some beliefs if they are extremist, like the idiots who believe you must be 'saved' or roast in hell, when there is no evidence to substantiate such a crazy belief. It can be very abusive indeed when aimed at the young, the vulnerable and gullible. Some extremists use the Bible as an excuse for their nasty bigotry where gays are concerned, and also those who think women should be subservient to the male of the species.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 12:51:07 PM

Where you live is wholly irrelevant to your initial statement, "what laws force others to believe a given religious system...". This was asked and answered, to satisfy your initial posit.

It has been, and no, it wasn't. I understand you are not in the states, however many states enacted amendments to specifically ignore civil union laws, so that no benefit for being 'married' could be claimed, and such a union need not be acknowledged by any businesses.

In short, it was agreed that "civil unions" for gays could legally constitute a marriage, however that then had the rug yanked out from underneath those that partook. Oh, and the whole Kim Davis thing...

Provided it is not designed to incite to violence, one can say whatever they want.

I think since you are not in the states, you hoped your blanket statement of what you perceive was true, and clearly, its not.

Religion has been a excellent club for the politically minded to attempt to silence certain oppositions by portraying them as immoral, and thus not worthy of political consideration.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...