Jump to topic:

Creationist Demands

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:27:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was watching tv today when someone was talking about how creationists want to put on the cover of textbooks that talk about evolution a disclaimer saying "this is not the only explanation as to how we got here." The person said they thought this was ok as long as before the book of Genesis there was a disclaimer saying "this is not the only explanation as to how we got here". I personally see this as totally fair and acceptable. Unnecessary maybe, but if it makes creationists happy then I am fine with that under this condition.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:30:29 PM
Haha that's actually pretty funny. I personally believe in evolution (to an extent. I don't think we evolved from monkies). I think evolution is ok to be taught in school as it isn't necessarily a religious idea.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:31:47 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:30:29 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Haha that's actually pretty funny. I personally believe in evolution (to an extent. I don't think we evolved from monkies).

lolwut? So you believe that evolution is true up until the point where monkeys become involved?

I think evolution is ok to be taught in school as it isn't necessarily a religious idea.

Evolution is not religious. It's scientific.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:33:52 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:31:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/19/2011 7:30:29 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
Haha that's actually pretty funny. I personally believe in evolution (to an extent. I don't think we evolved from monkies).

lolwut? So you believe that evolution is true up until the point where monkeys become involved?

No, I think that God made humans and a set amount of animals and we've evolved from that point. My creation ideas aren't too solid since no one can really know for sure.

I think evolution is ok to be taught in school as it isn't necessarily a religious idea.

Evolution is not religious. It's scientific.

That's what I was trying to say.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:38:23 PM
We didn't evolve FROM monkeys.
We evolved SIMULTANIOUSLY to monkeys.
We share a common ancestor.

Also, you can't believe in Micro-Evolution and not Macro-Evolution. The only difference is the time period over which you're talking about.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:39:38 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:38:47 PM, rogue wrote:
At 1/19/2011 7:29:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

Why is it absurd lol? I think it is funny.

You guys all know how religious I am, but that is pretty funny.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:42:09 PM
Both are absurd ideas.

I think the idea of a disclaimer on a textbook is idiotic since I would not want any religious influences in my science class. And putting a disclaimer on the Bible is just as intrusive.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:42:45 PM
Both are absurd ideas.

don't mind her :) it is funny.. and i'd be all for it!
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:46:03 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:42:09 PM, annhasle wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

I think the idea of a disclaimer on a textbook is idiotic since I would not want any religious influences in my science class. And putting a disclaimer on the Bible is just as intrusive.

you think it's idiotic cos you don't like it? real mature there :P
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:47:12 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:46:03 PM, badger wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

you think it's idiotic cos you don't like it? real mature there :P

Lol, it's an opinion badger -- it will be based off of personal preference. :)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:47:39 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:42:45 PM, badger wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

don't mind her :) it is funny.. and i'd be all for it!

don't mind him :) it is absurd... but it's just my opinion!
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:48:29 PM
Both are absurd ideas.

True, but if being intrusive to them will make both sides happy and keep textbooks with evolution in school, I'm happy.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 7:50:58 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:48:29 PM, rogue wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

True, but if being intrusive to them will make both sides happy and keep textbooks with evolution in school, I'm happy.

Yeah, but why don't the Christians just piss off and leave the science books alone? Do I walk into their Church and put up posters saying, "This isn't the only justification for our existence!" <sigh>
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:08:05 PM
At 1/19/2011 7:50:58 PM, annhasle wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

Yeah, but why don't the Christians just piss off and leave the science books alone? Do I walk into their Church and put up posters saying, "This isn't the only justification for our existence!" <sigh>

Good point. But they are creationists. You have to throw them the bone sometimes :P
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:11:39 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:08:05 PM, rogue wrote:
At 1/19/2011 7:50:58 PM, annhasle wrote:
Both are absurd ideas.

Good point. But they are creationists. You have to throw them the bone sometimes :P

that's been tried.. they still think the world's only 6000 years old :)
signature
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:14:47 PM
I think the point of the joke was to show the absurdity of the original idea and cancel it out, not to actually do both.

Sounds a lot like why the Flying Spaghetti Monster/Pastafarian religion was created - to show the absurdity of requiring Intelligent Design be taught in schools. It was a sort of - "then you have to teach this too" type of deal.

All hail his Noodli-ness
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:17:39 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:14:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I think the point of the joke was to show the absurdity of the original idea and cancel it out, not to actually do both.

Sounds a lot like why the Flying Spaghetti Monster/Pastafarian religion was created - to show the absurdity of requiring Intelligent Design be taught in schools. It was a sort of - "then you have to teach this too" type of deal.

All hail his Noodli-ness

well yeah... but we should definitely run with it if we get the chance.. how class would it be if priests had to preach evolution :)
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:20:44 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:17:39 PM, badger wrote:

All hail his Noodli-ness

well yeah... but we should definitely run with it if we get the chance.. how class would it be if priests had to preach evolution :)

i'd go to mass every day and leave the second they brought up the bit about there being alternate explanations :) ...and i wouldn't leave quietly!
signature
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:24:50 PM

I absolutely disagree with this. Evolution is a verifiable truth about the state of the physical universe. You can't just go around comprimising these things to appease people. What shall we do next, put disclaimers on geography textbooks that say "World may not actually be spherical" ?

My biology textbook had an entire chapter devoted to refuting arguments against evolution. It may seem like evolution is just another part of biology, but if you have really studied the subject, even for a short while, you will realize that everything we know about life is totally incompatible with the assumption that it was created 6000 years ago. Every trait of living beings points toward the fact that they evolved slowly over an immense period of time, and countless discoveries in biology have come from this conclusion.

If you want to understand where human medicine and healthcare would be without the theory of evolution, imagine human rocket science with Newtonian mechanics. It is that essential to our understanding of how living things work.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:31:28 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:24:50 PM, Grape wrote:

I absolutely disagree with this. Evolution is a verifiable truth about the state of the physical universe. You can't just go around comprimising these things to appease people. What shall we do next, put disclaimers on geography textbooks that say "World may not actually be spherical" ?

My biology textbook had an entire chapter devoted to refuting arguments against evolution. It may seem like evolution is just another part of biology, but if you have really studied the subject, even for a short while, you will realize that everything we know about life is totally incompatible with the assumption that it was created 6000 years ago. Every trait of living beings points toward the fact that they evolved slowly over an immense period of time, and countless discoveries in biology have come from this conclusion.

If you want to understand where human medicine and healthcare would be without the theory of evolution, imagine human rocket science with Newtonian mechanics. It is that essential to our understanding of how living things work.

REJECT TEH HOLY SPIRITS AND YOU'LL SUFFER ETERNAL DAMNATION!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:33:56 PM

All hail his Noodli-ness

WAIT THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER RELGION WAS A JOKE!!! And here I thought I finally found a religion that made sense!!!
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:47:40 PM
The thing is though that Most kids have to go to public schools even those of creationists, so their should be equal views in textbooks. Not everyone or really anyone has to read the bible, thats purely optional, so there shouldn't be a disclaimer.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:55:29 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:47:40 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
The thing is though that Most kids have to go to public schools even those of creationists, so their should be equal views in textbooks. Not everyone or really anyone has to read the bible, thats purely optional, so there shouldn't be a disclaimer.

Why should both views be presented equally if one of them is false? No amount of disagreement is going to change the fact that evolution is a real physical phenomenon. It's not even practical to teach creationism because you can't properly understand biology without evolution.

Do you think there should be equal views in history books as to whether or not the Holocaust happened?
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:33:18 PM
I can see you are on the exact opposite of the spectrum as you are as grounded in your ways as I am mine. Please you cannot really compare the evidence of creationism to that of the holocaust never happened. We KNOW the holocaust happened we have pictures, survivors, evidence. As for how we got here, no one was there, no pics, no witnesses. So yes, multiple theories should be viewed and allow the students to decide for themselves what they will believe.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:35:31 PM
Intelligent Design hardly meets the requirements needed to be considered a theory.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:42:56 PM

All hail his Noodli-ness

Oh I know. But I still think we should lol. You are right. It kinda is that kind of attitude on my part.