Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Religious thinkers responsible for ethics?

Skepticalone
Posts: 6,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
In a recent conversation:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?
If Gravity were true, and Darwinism true - both of which are taught as true to children, then we would evolve as pancake people. - Edlvsjd

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skeptical1
Posts: 1,183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 2:57:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
In a recent conversation:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?

I so want to say that I agree, because otherwise there would be no one for the genuine ethicists to argue with.

David Hume, Bertrand Russell, or in the present, Peter Singer. Just a couple of names that immediaterly sprang to mind. Of course, there are thousands more.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:11:20 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/9/2016 2:57:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
In a recent conversation:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?

I so want to say that I agree, because otherwise there would be no one for the genuine ethicists to argue with.

David Hume, Bertrand Russell, or in the present, Peter Singer. Just a couple of names that immediaterly sprang to mind. Of course, there are thousands more.

Ok, do you think ethics originated with religious thinkers?
If Gravity were true, and Darwinism true - both of which are taught as true to children, then we would evolve as pancake people. - Edlvsjd

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skeptical1
Posts: 1,183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:45:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/9/2016 3:11:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/9/2016 2:57:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
In a recent conversation:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?

I so want to say that I agree, because otherwise there would be no one for the genuine ethicists to argue with.

David Hume, Bertrand Russell, or in the present, Peter Singer. Just a couple of names that immediaterly sprang to mind. Of course, there are thousands more.

Ok, do you think ethics originated with religious thinkers?

I don't know. It's not something I know much about. I just know that there are plenty of fine minds that have grappled with ethical issues without the slightest religious inclination. My understanding is that the Epicurians, who predated the Christian religion by several hundred years were not religious. In fact Epicurus's riddle is considered one of the stronger arguments against theism. Also, I'm not certain how much part the pantheism of Socrates and his descendents would have played in the formulation of their ethics.

Also, I don't think religion played any part in Confuscius's ethics, or much in Eastern philsophy at all - but I could be wrong.

However, the mere presence of "schools" such as these should at least show that religion is not essential to consider ethics.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 4:06:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/9/2016 3:45:34 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/9/2016 3:11:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/9/2016 2:57:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
In a recent conversation:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?

I so want to say that I agree, because otherwise there would be no one for the genuine ethicists to argue with.

David Hume, Bertrand Russell, or in the present, Peter Singer. Just a couple of names that immediaterly sprang to mind. Of course, there are thousands more.

Ok, do you think ethics originated with religious thinkers?

I don't know. It's not something I know much about. I just know that there are plenty of fine minds that have grappled with ethical issues without the slightest religious inclination. My understanding is that the Epicurians, who predated the Christian religion by several hundred years were not religious. In fact Epicurus's riddle is considered one of the stronger arguments against theism. Also, I'm not certain how much part the pantheism of Socrates and his descendents would have played in the formulation of their ethics.

Also, I don't think religion played any part in Confuscius's ethics, or much in Eastern philsophy at all - but I could be wrong.

However, the mere presence of "schools" such as these should at least show that religion is not essential to consider ethics.

Ok, thanks for the info, Skep. I agree with your conclusion, of course.
If Gravity were true, and Darwinism true - both of which are taught as true to children, then we would evolve as pancake people. - Edlvsjd

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten