Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Religious thinkers responsible for ethics?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
In a recent conversation:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 2:57:54 AM
At 11/9/2016 2:49:07 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

"I am saying that you don"t have the field of ethics as an academic field without religious thinkers."

Agree? Why or why not?

I so want to say that I agree, because otherwise there would be no one for the genuine ethicists to argue with.

David Hume, Bertrand Russell, or in the present, Peter Singer. Just a couple of names that immediaterly sprang to mind. Of course, there are thousands more.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:11:20 AM
At 11/9/2016 2:57:54 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Agree? Why or why not?

I so want to say that I agree, because otherwise there would be no one for the genuine ethicists to argue with.

David Hume, Bertrand Russell, or in the present, Peter Singer. Just a couple of names that immediaterly sprang to mind. Of course, there are thousands more.

Ok, do you think ethics originated with religious thinkers?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 3:45:34 AM
At 11/9/2016 3:11:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Agree? Why or why not?

I don't know. It's not something I know much about. I just know that there are plenty of fine minds that have grappled with ethical issues without the slightest religious inclination. My understanding is that the Epicurians, who predated the Christian religion by several hundred years were not religious. In fact Epicurus's riddle is considered one of the stronger arguments against theism. Also, I'm not certain how much part the pantheism of Socrates and his descendents would have played in the formulation of their ethics.

Also, I don't think religion played any part in Confuscius's ethics, or much in Eastern philsophy at all - but I could be wrong.

However, the mere presence of "schools" such as these should at least show that religion is not essential to consider ethics.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2016 4:06:44 AM
At 11/9/2016 3:45:34 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/9/2016 3:11:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Agree? Why or why not?

I don't know. It's not something I know much about. I just know that there are plenty of fine minds that have grappled with ethical issues without the slightest religious inclination. My understanding is that the Epicurians, who predated the Christian religion by several hundred years were not religious. In fact Epicurus's riddle is considered one of the stronger arguments against theism. Also, I'm not certain how much part the pantheism of Socrates and his descendents would have played in the formulation of their ethics.

Also, I don't think religion played any part in Confuscius's ethics, or much in Eastern philsophy at all - but I could be wrong.

However, the mere presence of "schools" such as these should at least show that religion is not essential to consider ethics.

Ok, thanks for the info, Skep. I agree with your conclusion, of course.