Jump to topic:

Does God exist?

ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 1:01:49 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I ask this question because I have been having some second thoughts. I've been an atheist all my life (I remember getting into arguments about God in first grade), and my parents are atheists as well. But recently, I've looked into some research on the existence of God, and I've found some interesting stuff. I've also prayed for the past few mornings and nights, and have begun go read a little bit of Genesis. So have I been right all my life, or only within the past few days?
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 1:06:58 AM
At 11/10/2016 1:01:49 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:
I ask this question because I have been having some second thoughts. I've been an atheist all my life (I remember getting into arguments about God in first grade), and my parents are atheists as well. But recently, I've looked into some research on the existence of God, and I've found some interesting stuff. I've also prayed for the past few mornings and nights, and have begun go read a little bit of Genesis. So have I been right all my life, or only within the past few days?

It will pass, God willing.
Antant42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 1:42:13 AM

What do you find interesting?

Religion does a good job defining human purpose and things like love. We have all been created by God therefore we all have a natural wonder if there is something more to this life. We will all as well see him during the final judgement.

There are many different questions the Bible can answer and perhaps I can help you answer them if you have anymore.

Many people have fought to spread the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. In fact, all but one of Jesus' disciples were marytered. And Jesus' brother was killed as well. These are things that we have not just learned from the Bible but from outside sources too.

But, in short Yes God does exist and He not only wants you to know about Him, but he wants you to have a relationship with Him.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 1:48:19 AM

Keep your options open. You dont need to decide. Its ok not knowing.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 1:50:21 AM
At 11/10/2016 1:06:58 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Sorry, that was a little joke. Only you can answer this question for yourself. However, one thing I have been wondering to myself for the past 16 hours or so is this:

Look hard at the man the US citizens have just elected as their leader. Look at his words and actions. The hate speech. The divisiveness, racism and bigotry. The disgusting attitude towards women. The incessant lying. The posturing and self-aggrandisement.

Then consider that he was voted in by mostly white, God-fearing Christian folk. If this is what the majority of God-loving Christians find appealing, is that what you want? I can't say with any confidence, but I would think it quite possible that your non believing parents raised you with different values than that.

I'm not trying to say the majority of believers exhibit those characteristics themselves, but you have to ask why they would support them.

There are all sorts of philosophical and scientific arguments for or against believing in God. You'll find most of them argued to death here in this forum. In the end, it goes beyond all that to questions like "what sort of person do I want to be?" "To what extent do I hold myself responsible for my own actions?" "What are the important things in life?" Of course it is crucial to believe in what you think there is evidence for - to do otherwise makes no sense. But these other questions are just as important. And how you view yourself and others will be influenced by how you view your place in the universe.

I don't mean to preach (that would be ironic), but questions like this always make me think about what life is about, and why I chose the way I did.

Good luck with your quest.
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:00:14 AM
At 11/10/2016 1:42:13 AM, Antant42 wrote:

Religion does a good job defining human purpose and things like love. We have all been created by God therefore we all have a natural wonder if there is something more to this life. We will all as well see him during the final judgement.

There are many different questions the Bible can answer and perhaps I can help you answer them if you have anymore.

Many people have fought to spread the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. In fact, all but one of Jesus' disciples were marytered. And Jesus' brother was killed as well. These are things that we have not just learned from the Bible but from outside sources too.

But, in short Yes God does exist and He not only wants you to know about Him, but he wants you to have a relationship with Him.

I think I find just about everything about it interesting. Religion doesn't just focus on one aspect of life, but it instead focuses on all of life, from birth to death, from creation to judgment. It tells us what is moral and righteous, and what is immoral and wrong. And it's also an interesting thought that not only is everything designed by a divine being, but that you can have a relationship with that being, and that the being cares about you and loves you and has a path for you. Thanks for your insight on this topic, and I'll be sure to ask you any more questions I have.
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:11:31 AM
At 11/10/2016 1:50:21 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Sorry, that was a little joke. Only you can answer this question for yourself. However, one thing I have been wondering to myself for the past 16 hours or so is this:

Look hard at the man the US citizens have just elected as their leader. Look at his words and actions. The hate speech. The divisiveness, racism and bigotry. The disgusting attitude towards women. The incessant lying. The posturing and self-aggrandisement.

Then consider that he was voted in by mostly white, God-fearing Christian folk. If this is what the majority of God-loving Christians find appealing, is that what you want? I can't say with any confidence, but I would think it quite possible that your non believing parents raised you with different values than that.

I'm not trying to say the majority of believers exhibit those characteristics themselves, but you have to ask why they would support them.

There are all sorts of philosophical and scientific arguments for or against believing in God. You'll find most of them argued to death here in this forum. In the end, it goes beyond all that to questions like "what sort of person do I want to be?" "To what extent do I hold myself responsible for my own actions?" "What are the important things in life?" Of course it is crucial to believe in what you think there is evidence for - to do otherwise makes no sense. But these other questions are just as important. And how you view yourself and others will be influenced by how you view your place in the universe.

I don't mean to preach (that would be ironic), but questions like this always make me think about what life is about, and why I chose the way I did.

Thanks for responding and throwing in some humor in there as well. In response to your thoughts, there is definitely more religion in the right than there is in the left, so this could help to explain how many votes Trump got. There is also a dark group hiding in the ideology of conservatism I like to think of as the "Alex Jones group." This is the group of conspiracy theorists and paranoid rednecks that everyone always complains about on both sides of the political spectrum. And it's very clear that they have a large influence on voters. InfoWars and similar sites have constantly been a propaganda machine for Donald Trump, spewing made-up stories and ridiculous tales of Trump being God's chosen man to Hillary Clinton being a demonic spirit. 4 out of 5 white evangelicals voted for Trump this year, and just by looking at the YouTube feed after clicking a "Trump is our lord and savior" video, you can tell that many white evangelicals listen to these theories and ghost stories about politics.

This is not, of course, to say that staunchly religious people will always fall victim to the Alex Jones group; Ted Cruz, despite his greasy, slimy, ratty vibe, has been consistent in opposing this crowd and trying to not be completely out of his mind. And yes, I know, it says I support Trump on my profile, but it's a reluctant vote, don't worry.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:18:58 AM

The answer can only come from within. There is no other way. Ignore what others say. Their opinions don't matter. You are a sovereign being. Do your own research beyond Christianity, look within and be discerning.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:19:20 AM
At 11/10/2016 2:11:31 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:

Thanks for responding and throwing in some humor in there as well. In response to your thoughts, there is definitely more religion in the right than there is in the left, so this could help to explain how many votes Trump got. There is also a dark group hiding in the ideology of conservatism I like to think of as the "Alex Jones group." This is the group of conspiracy theorists and paranoid rednecks that everyone always complains about on both sides of the political spectrum. And it's very clear that they have a large influence on voters. InfoWars and similar sites have constantly been a propaganda machine for Donald Trump, spewing made-up stories and ridiculous tales of Trump being God's chosen man to Hillary Clinton being a demonic spirit. 4 out of 5 white evangelicals voted for Trump this year, and just by looking at the YouTube feed after clicking a "Trump is our lord and savior" video, you can tell that many white evangelicals listen to these theories and ghost stories about politics.

This is not, of course, to say that staunchly religious people will always fall victim to the Alex Jones group; Ted Cruz, despite his greasy, slimy, ratty vibe, has been consistent in opposing this crowd and trying to not be completely out of his mind. And yes, I know, it says I support Trump on my profile, but it's a reluctant vote, don't worry.

I didn't look at your profile, but it probably wouldn't have made any difference to my comments - I'm an equal opportunity offender ;-)
Antant42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:26:56 AM
At 11/10/2016 2:00:14 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:

I think I find just about everything about it interesting. Religion doesn't just focus on one aspect of life, but it instead focuses on all of life, from birth to death, from creation to judgment. It tells us what is moral and righteous, and what is immoral and wrong. And it's also an interesting thought that not only is everything designed by a divine being, but that you can have a relationship with that being, and that the being cares about you and loves you and has a path for you. Thanks for your insight on this topic, and I'll be sure to ask you any more questions I have.

I am glad to hear that. You seem to have a deep understanding already. it is boggling to think that there is a being that not only created the universe and is all powerful but also says the hairs on your head are numbered. He is an active God in our lives. As you read the Bible keep in mind the timeline of when the books were written. Each truth that the Bible speaks of has its initial revelation ( understanding to the reader the day it was written ) along with a developing revelation through time where we find the final fulfillment of the truth in the New Testament . For example, God kills the first animals in Genesis 3:21 and uses them to cover man's nakedness. An innocent pays the price for mans mistake. We see this in more detail when God introduces the sacrificial system. In the New Testament we see the Christ as the final sacrifice and substitute for mans sin.
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:53:32 AM
At 11/10/2016 2:19:20 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

I didn't look at your profile, but it probably wouldn't have made any difference to my comments - I'm an equal opportunity offender ;-)

Equality for all. Everyone gets s**t.
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:56:00 AM
At 11/10/2016 2:26:56 AM, Antant42 wrote:

I am glad to hear that. You seem to have a deep understanding already. it is boggling to think that there is a being that not only created the universe and is all powerful but also says the hairs on your head are numbered. He is an active God in our lives. As you read the Bible keep in mind the timeline of when the books were written. Each truth that the Bible speaks of has its initial revelation ( understanding to the reader the day it was written ) along with a developing revelation through time where we find the final fulfillment of the truth in the New Testament . For example, God kills the first animals in Genesis 3:21 and uses them to cover man's nakedness. An innocent pays the price for mans mistake. We see this in more detail when God introduces the sacrificial system. In the New Testament we see the Christ as the final sacrifice and substitute for mans sin.

I've never really thought of the Old Testament and the New Testament in that way (probably because I haven't been this into religion for 14 years of my life). I just always figured that the Old Testament was when everybody was afraid of God, and then they wrote the New Testament because they thought of God differently.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 3:43:55 AM
At 11/10/2016 2:53:32 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:

Really? As I said, I didn't see your profile, and my comments were sincere. It wasn't my intent to fling s**t, or offend. I suspect you've found your true calling.
Antant42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 4:08:45 AM
At 11/10/2016 2:56:00 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:

I've never really thought of the Old Testament and the New Testament in that way (probably because I haven't been this into religion for 14 years of my life). I just always figured that the Old Testament was when everybody was afraid of God, and then they wrote the New Testament because they thought of God differently.

yes, this is a common misunderstanding . God never changes . The God of the Old Testament is the same God of the New Testament . Of course Judiasm disagrees because many Jews do not think that Jesus is God... Which leads to my next point.

Isaiah 53:3

3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

This is a prophecy from the Old Testament predicting that the messiah would be rejected by his own people. There are hundreds more of pr Prophecys like this one that were fulfilled by Jesus. This was important for the first Christians because the first Christians were Jewish and would know these scriptures.

Here is an article talking about more prophesys.
http://christianity.about.com...

This is just some of them.

The whole chapter of Isaiah 53 is never talked about in the synagogue of the Jews because of the questions it may bring up. The whole chapter speaks of Jesus around 700 to 1000 years before he was born.
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 4:15:34 AM
At 11/10/2016 3:43:55 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Really? As I said, I didn't see your profile, and my comments were sincere. It wasn't my intent to fling s**t, or offend. I suspect you've found your true calling.

When you said "equal opportunity offender," I thought you were saying that nobody gets a pass, and that everyone gets s**t regardless of who they are; not that you were flinging s**t at me and only me. Don't worry, I didn't take offense to anything you said. My apologies for the misunderstanding.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 4:20:31 AM
At 11/10/2016 4:15:34 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:
At 11/10/2016 3:43:55 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

When you said "equal opportunity offender," I thought you were saying that nobody gets a pass, and that everyone gets s**t regardless of who they are; not that you were flinging s**t at me and only me. Don't worry, I didn't take offense to anything you said. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

No, my fault. And that's pretty much what I meant LOL - everyone cops it.
All good :)
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 4:20:38 AM
At 11/10/2016 4:08:45 AM, Antant42 wrote:
At 11/10/2016 2:56:00 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:

yes, this is a common misunderstanding . God never changes . The God of the Old Testament is the same God of the New Testament . Of course Judiasm disagrees because many Jews do not think that Jesus is God... Which leads to my next point.

Isaiah 53:3

3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

This is a prophecy from the Old Testament predicting that the messiah would be rejected by his own people. There are hundreds more of pr Prophecys like this one that were fulfilled by Jesus. This was important for the first Christians because the first Christians were Jewish and would know these scriptures.

Here is an article talking about more prophesys.
http://christianity.about.com...

This is just some of them.

The whole chapter of Isaiah 53 is never talked about in the synagogue of the Jews because of the questions it may bring up. The whole chapter speaks of Jesus around 700 to 1000 years before he was born.

I've heard about the prophecies in the Bible before, but I had always just thought of them as coincidences. Looking at the prophecies now, I don't know how I ever thought that. The accuracy of the predictions in the Bible is impeccable, especially the one about Jesus being rejected by his own people.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 4:25:34 AM
Yeah. Study the relationship between mind and reality. Reality is defined according to our perceptions and conceptions. Human perception is what makes an actual state of affairs actual. For example, if there was no mind to convert wavelengths of light which code for colors into colors, colors wouldn't exist. If there was no mind to convert pressure waves into sound, there would be no sound. ("Does X exist?") Is a question that presupposes an absolute perception or conception of what it means for ("X exists") in the first place. Reality is fundamentally of the mind. Reality is fundamentally informational. Our reality is nothing more than information-processing. What we call the "physical world" is just virtual avatars as a result of information-processing. It's not real. This is a local reality in a larger, truer containing reality. We will remember this some day. The truest way to know that God exists is to come to the realization that reality is fundamentally too information rich to be derivative from mindlessness and realized that the relationship between mind and reality is inseparable as quantum mechanics suggests.
ThisIsMyUsername333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 4:51:30 AM
At 11/10/2016 4:25:34 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Yeah. Study the relationship between mind and reality. Reality is defined according to our perceptions and conceptions. Human perception is what makes an actual state of affairs actual. For example, if there was no mind to convert wavelengths of light which code for colors into colors, colors wouldn't exist. If there was no mind to convert pressure waves into sound, there would be no sound. ("Does X exist?") Is a question that presupposes an absolute perception or conception of what it means for ("X exists") in the first place. Reality is fundamentally of the mind. Reality is fundamentally informational. Our reality is nothing more than information-processing. What we call the "physical world" is just virtual avatars as a result of information-processing. It's not real. This is a local reality in a larger, truer containing reality. We will remember this some day. The truest way to know that God exists is to come to the realization that reality is fundamentally too information rich to be derivative from mindlessness and realized that the relationship between mind and reality is inseparable as quantum mechanics suggests.

Wow, I had to read that several times to understand that. Really made me think. I appreciate it.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 5:36:15 AM

I don't think you should be choosing a side based on which one is "right" or which one is "wrong", mainly because we currently don't have the capabilities to find the answers. So, you should consider just pursuing whatever your heart tells you to or what makes you the happiest.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 7:34:12 AM
God never changes
So what's the point of praying.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 7:41:55 AM
At 11/10/2016 4:20:38 AM, ThisIsMyUsername333 wrote:
especially the one about Jesus being rejected by his own people.
You may want to reference palm sunday and with no change whatsoever the reaction 4 days later, the only mention of rejection. Not terribly believable, in fact if it was written in a political potboiler you would laugh at the amateurish authorship, this book is all fiction by the way.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 7:49:02 AM

No look at the fact you're an idiot who buys into this bulllllssshhhiiittt without actually knowing what you're talking about.

Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 8:02:16 AM
At 11/10/2016 7:49:02 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

No look at the fact you're an idiot who buys into this bulllllssshhhiiittt without actually knowing what you're talking about.

Really? Funny, I could have sworn that orange buffoon I see on TV every night, and the words I hear coming out of his mouth are real. But no, I guess I'll just take your word for it that it's all dubbed.

Look, it's ok - just because you vote for a bigoted, racist slimebag doesn't mean... oh, never mind.

Antant42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 12:13:15 PM
At 11/10/2016 7:34:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
God never changes
So what's the point of praying.

My statement was a bit broad. His nature never changes. There has been times like in the story of Jonah where repentance has cause God to change his mind and delay his wrath on the city.

Gods love for never changes, his promises are always fulfilled, and we have the same God in the New Testament as the Old Testament and we will forever and ever.

Now I know this brings up another topic that will be targeted. If God is all powerful and knows the future than how can he be said to change his mind. From the beginning he is a relationship God he interacts with people in a way that can be helpful to them and they can understand. I believe that God knows our when we will pray and already has everything planned accordingly even though it may not seem like that from the persons point of view at that moment.
Antant42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 12:20:18 PM
At 11/10/2016 5:36:15 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't think you should be choosing a side based on which one is "right" or which one is "wrong", mainly because we currently don't have the capabilities to find the answers. So, you should consider just pursuing whatever your heart tells you to or what makes you the happiest.

This is a good point. Proving some of these things is difficult to do until after death or when Jesus comes. Remember though that there is a righ side and a wrong sside and this is what makes your decision hard. However, it will not be to hard because if you pray God will reveal himself to you. Reading people's opinions and doing your own research is a good idea and you can learn a lot but it is not the only option you have to find truth .

Also, simply picking the religion that brings you happiness can be dangerous. God promises that you can always have peace with Him Joy, grace, strength... Realistically you will not be happy all the time. It is a message through the whole Bible that no matter how righteous you are, you will go through trials.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 1:57:51 PM

I think I find just about everything about it interesting. Religion doesn't just focus on one aspect of life, but it instead focuses on all of life, from birth to death, from creation to judgment. It tells us what is moral and righteous, and what is immoral and wrong.

According to the bible all governments are established by God, and it is wrong to ever rebel against your government (sorry founding fathers). This is just one out of many problems with the bible.

Romans 13
13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God"s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God"s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God"s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

And it's also an interesting thought that not only is everything designed by a divine being, but that you can have a relationship with that being, and that the being cares about you and loves you and has a path for you. Thanks for your insight on this topic, and I'll be sure to ask you any more questions I have.

A few questions. Why does a relationship involve interpreting subjective feelings or chance experiences as "the spirit" and why doesn't God ever physically show up or verbally talk to you like any father would do to his child? Why is God hiding? Why does he make belief without good evidence of faith so important?

Also, why does God punish not believing in his existence with eternal torment when many good kind people have not heard of him, have faith in another religion, have never been introduced to Christianity in a convincing way, or don't believe because of reason or a lack of evidence? The Christian God not only hides but then punishes the majority of people who logically will not believe in him.

Also how does being imperfect and finite sins make us deserving of eternal hell? That would be like punishing speeding with life in prison. Also how can Jesus take our punishment for us? That would be like if someone raped, tortured, and murdered a little girl and he got out of it because his mother took his punishment. Your crimes as your and yours alone and others can't take your punishment.

Another problem is that Jesus dying isn't a real punishment. Since he is God when he dies he just reverts back to his unlimited spiritual form which is really an upgrade like if he ascended. That isn't a real punishment.

Also, why did God test Adam who were innocent and had no knowledge of good and evil with a choice between good and evil of taking the fruit and then punish all of humanity when they fail? That would be like testing your newborn baby with a moral choice.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 2:14:40 PM

Just remember, the root of all conspiracies come from unlocking the one mystery. The greatest trick of the devil was convincing the world he does not exist.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 3:06:43 PM
At 11/10/2016 4:25:34 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Codswallop, Ben. Reality defines itself and exist completely independent of our perceptions or conceptions of it. Light, sound, all of reality exists despite your existence and how you perceive it. Your post is just word salad.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 9:35:36 PM

Stick with logic and reason, you'll find the right choice, your parents already have.