Jump to topic:

What brought you to your beliefs?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:34:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
For once, I'm not actually asking for your reasoning. What, in a deterministic sense, brought you to your beliefs? Were you raised in them? Are you psychology inclined to them? etc, etc.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 2:48:46 AM
I don't have any FREEDO, sorry. I'm pretty much the epitome of non-belief.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 2:51:01 AM
Agnostic family, religion was just not relevant. First aware of questioning Gods existence when I was 9, my intelligence and education just lead to doubt everything. No real grounds for any sort of faith to form. Finally realised I was an atheist a few years back, for so, so many reasons.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 2:55:40 AM
I don't follow religion because I was brought up without it (except for a little wicca) and now that I know about all the major religions, I'm still not interested. I find the idea of anything supernatural to be superbullcrap.
All my moral beliefs (or lack thereof) stem from that and my own observations and reading. Morals are an illusion, just like Religion.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 2:55:50 AM
At 1/20/2011 2:48:46 AM, annhasle wrote:

Do you mean that or are you mocking me?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 2:58:20 AM
I was brought up in a Conservative Christian household, with Conservative Christian Christian friends, in a Conservative Christian town, in Conservative Christian homeschooling, went to church youth group every week. Honestly, I have no idea where my change started but when it did it was a slippery slope.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:00:28 AM
At 1/20/2011 2:58:20 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I was brought up in a Conservative Christian household, with Conservative Christian Christian friends, in a Conservative Christian town, in Conservative Christian homeschooling, went to church youth group every week. Honestly, I have no idea where my change started but when it did it was a slippery slope.

you're just contrary. bein a rebel teenager and all that. only it'll stick, so you'll be like that the rest of your life.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:05:36 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:00:28 AM, belle wrote:
At 1/20/2011 2:58:20 AM, FREEDO wrote:

you're just contrary. bein a rebel teenager and all that. only it'll stick, so you'll be like that the rest of your life.

That's a really over-used cliche. The truth is I used to be as devout, if not more, than anyone around me. I wanted to be a missionary and travel the world spreading the gospel. It may not be convincing but I give you my word that I truly don't try to nonconform.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:14:46 AM
At 1/20/2011 2:55:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I mean it. Lol. I don't believe in God, morals, emotions, government, inherent meaning, purpose or value, validity of sensory data, mankind, my family, etc. I seriously have no beliefs. But I love the liberation. xD

However, if you want to know how I came to be a non-believer... I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. Was ex-communicated (seriously) when I was 11 from the German churches. Went through a bunch of crap and found solace in libraries where I read about politics, religion and philosophy. I was a skeptical kid so it only grew more prevalent as I became older. And viola! An atheist, nihilist ancap emerged.

My biological mother did try influencing me with Wicca which made me interested in learning about different spiritualities and religions -- but not practicing it. I love going to Churches, Temples and Synagogues to watch and listen -- but I will NOT participate. I'm weird like that.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:19:24 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:14:46 AM, annhasle wrote:

I mean it. Lol. I don't believe in God, morals, emotions, government, inherent meaning, purpose or value, validity of sensory data, mankind, my family, etc. I seriously have no beliefs. But I love the liberation. xD

However, if you want to know how I came to be a non-believer... I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. Was ex-communicated (seriously) when I was 11 from the German churches.

You were ex-communicated? Awesome, not even Hitler was ex-communicated!

My biological mother did try influencing me with Wicca

Yea... I can't imagine you with Wicca... nope!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:19:49 AM

You still believe in logic, ann. I am what it is to have no belief.

However, if you want to know how I came to be a non-believer... I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. Was ex-communicated (seriously) when I was 11 from the German churches. Went through a bunch of crap and found solace in libraries where I read about politics, religion and philosophy. I was a skeptical kid so it only grew more prevalent as I became older. And viola! An atheist, nihilist ancap emerged.

What were you ex-communicated for? And how the hell does that happen before you're even at the "age of accountability"? WTF?

My biological mother did try influencing me with Wicca which made me interested in learning about different spiritualities and religions -- but not practicing it. I love going to Churches, Temples and Synagogues to watch and listen -- but I will NOT participate. I'm weird like that.

I'm the same way actually, but very much so. I go to church about 3-4 times a week, every week.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:20:29 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:19:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
not even Hitler was ex-communicated!

LMAO!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:25:12 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:19:49 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I don't "believe" in logic -- I follow logic. I understand its importance and have witnessed its reliability. Logic does not fail.

What were you ex-communicated for?

I refused to be baptized and when they asked why (in front of the entire Church), I said: "I have a policy against joining cults." They didn't take that well....

And how the hell does that happen before you're even at the "age of accountability"? WTF?

Welcome to the Catholic Church. Nonsensical? Yes. Liberating? Hell yeah.

I'm the same way actually, but very much so. I go to church about 3-4 times a week, every week.

I don't go that often... Lol. But I do enjoy studying the effects and responses to religion. Once I understand the mental and emotional craving for religion, I hope to use it for better understanding and conversations with theists. :/
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:26:46 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:19:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
However, if you want to know how I came to be a non-believer... I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. Was ex-communicated (seriously) when I was 11 from the German churches.

You were ex-communicated? Awesome, not even Hitler was ex-communicated!

LOL. You have to be a special German, I guess. :P

My biological mother did try influencing me with Wicca

Yea... I can't imagine you with Wicca... nope!

Haha, it's interesting but a little too... superstitious and weird for me. I do like the smell of white sage though. My mum is always burning white sage and charcoal. :)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:29:52 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:25:12 AM, annhasle wrote:

I don't "believe" in logic -- I follow logic. I understand its importance and have witnessed its reliability. Logic does not fail.

There it is. That is the dogma. There is where there is belief.

Logic may be useful but ultimately you may not know it's absolutivity.

"Nothing can be known, not even this" ~ Pyrrho
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:30:32 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:26:46 AM, annhasle wrote:
Haha, it's interesting but a little too... superstitious and weird for me. I do like the smell of white sage though. My mum is always burning white sage and charcoal. :)

All the wiccans I have met have been great... but lets face it... it's a pile of... okay well I don't want to be rude.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:30:40 AM

I don't know if I like incense or not...
Regardless, I did like reading the books about wicca.

Muh threads
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:34:41 AM
Excellent topic.

It's a long story, I'll try not to make it too boring.

I was raised in a Christian family. Most everyone in my family considers themselves non-denominational, but they resemble the pentecostal branch more than anything(They believe in spiritual gifts, things like that). Both sides of my family are filled with preachers.

My parents taught me that the MOST important thing was that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior, son of god, etc.

Besides that little bit of brainwashing, they also brainwashed me from a very young age to love learning, to be a kind person, to always be honest, and to not be afraid to be myself.

Overall, I'd say they were pretty good parents. I believed up until I was maybe a freshman in high school. What initially got me to question my faith were all the terrible things that people did in the name of Jesus. Yeah, there were the crusades, witch trials, all that crap in the past, but contemporary day televangelists were the ones who really got to me. I could tell right away they were full of it. I couldn't stand them, and I also couldn't stand the people who would preach messages of hate in the name of Jesus, when my understanding of what it meant to be a Christian was completely different. I also felt that god was strangely absent in my life, and that prayers were not being answered. I didn't really have faith anymore.

Some time, maybe a year later, it was like a week before my 16th birthday, and I was dragged by my uncle to this place where a bunch of missionaries were having some kind of service. I didn't want to go at first, but as soon as he mentioned that they were having some kind of barbecue, my inner fat @ss said, "eh, ok, why not?"

So anyway, at the end of the night, the missionaries were having a service, and something about what they were preaching about got to me emotionally, I don't even remember. When the service was over, as most gatherings of this type do, they asked if anyone wanted to come up to have hands laid on them.

I went up, and told one of the missionaries how I didn't believe, but I felt that there was something out there, I just didn't know. I was emotionally compromised, I was crying. He prayed over me, and I fell over on the ground. A rush of euphoria swept me, and I interpreted it as some sort of sign that Jesus was the man.

So after that day, my religious devotion sky rocketed, I instantly became a devout Christian, and did my hardest to be as good as I could be. I read the bible obsessively, something I never did before. At this point in time, I mostly just stuck to the gospels and books like proverbs. Already, I had a vastly different idea of what Christianity was about compared to the people around me. I thought Jesus was a pretty righteous guy, and I considered the Sermon on the Mount to be the guide to my life.... BUT.. It became obvious to me early on that the bible was NOT the word of god, it was a book written by men.

Some of the unorthodox beliefs that I held at the time were.. One, I didn't have any respect for Paul or any of the other guys who wrote the books after John. They seemed to be totally missing the point of what Jesus was saying to me.. Also, when I read the first 3 gospels, I NEVER got the impression that Jesus was trying to call himself the Son of God. To me, it looked like everyone around him was calling him the Son Of God, and Jesus himself was actually a rather humble guy who was just preaching a message of God. I believe in one god, no trinity. I considered Jesus to be a prophet. If I had read a Koran at this point in time, I probably would have instantly have become a Muslim. I read the teachings of the Buddha at this time, and also considered him to be a prophet. I didn't see how his message conflicted with that of Jesus. I started reading more and more of the bible, and by then I was more studying it as if it was written by bumbling humans trying to figure out what God was telling them, because of how poorly written the bible is. However, I still believed that I had a personal relationship with god.

By now, I was pretty much at the pinnacle of my superstitiously deluded phase. I was seeing god everywhere, in everything. I started getting all sorts of grandoise revelations, thinking that I myself was a prophet.. I went to many different churches(if you have reached this stage of religious delusion, Catholic Churches are trippy as fvck. If you've read the bible any, you will think that you are in the house of the anti-christ. Well, at least I did.), talked to preachers, priests, etc. I started seeing patterns in everything, patterns that were not there. By now I was ready to give up all of my belongings, and wander the Earth as a traveling hobo preacher. I sh!t you not, I was going to do this.

Then I told someone in my family that I was going to do it, and I was put in a mental hospital.

When I was in the mental hospital, I didn't take their drugs, so I ended up staying for a month instead of the 5 days I would have stayed had I taken their pills. While I was in the mental hospital, I read the Tao Te Ching, and considered it the most profound thing I ever read. I considered myself a Daoist from that point on. Also while in the mental hospital, I tried to read the Koran, but I didn't get too far into it. I didn't like it at the time, because it seemed like I could open it up to any random page, put my finger down, and it would say something about Jews, infidels, or whatever. It didn't appeal to me, but I still wanted to read it from from to back.

When I got out, I began to study the bible a whole lot more, read more into the construction of it, and things of that nature. Most of what I read ended up confirming most suspicions I had about the book.

I read the Koran from straight to back, and was considering becoming a Muslim. I happened to read an Ahmadiyya version of the Koran. It was covered in notes that attempted to give the most accurate picture of the true meaning of the words. I really liked their take on it, as it painted the Koran out to be a very reasonable, peaceful, and dare I say even liberal religion. Of course, I still had some doubts about it, it seemed like the Koran regulated way too much.. Like, it details how to run a country and everything. However, I was willing to give it a shot.

I went down to the local mosque, and just started looking around. I was told that you are not to discuss secular things in the mosque. Ok, so before the service started, I walked over to the bulletin board... and it was riddled with secular things.. People trying to sell things, crap like that.. It irked me slightly. Looked at papers, and noticed that they were talking about the Palestinian conflict. When the Sheik went up to talk, nearly all of his preaching was about the Palestinian conflict. This annoyed me, because I considered it a secular issue. I had a meeting with the sheik, and that was pretty much all it took for me to realize that Islam probably wasn't for me. I realized that organized religion in general wasn't for me, and that it never really was.

By this point, I was pretty much a pantheist or panantheist. I didn't believe in the supernatural, but I still had some wild ideas that.. Well, I still don't consider to be that wild. I considered the god of religion to be the world's true satan, the king of lies, and the naturalistic view of God to be the one true god.

From this point on, I studied more into science, since it dealt with the natural world, and I studied the logical fallacies. I read the Koran one more time, and it seemed like an endless ad nauseam rant. I forced myself to finish it. I was still reading the bible, though it was more for study than anything. Along with that, I read more into the construction of the bible, and other historical things relating to it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:34:49 AM
This all lasted until maybe about a year ago. By then, I was completely burnt out on religion, and went on to more interesting things.

I read so much, that it is almost impossible for me to say where everything I believe comes from. Most of it is just from my own head. I think about stuff a lot. I realize how silly it is to take anything that seriously. The universe is like a big joke to me, and everything in it is just a subdivision of that joke. I find nearly everything to be funny in some way. Everything is so weird to me. Life is weird, you know what I mean? In a way, I've reached a point to where I feel like a kid. I experiment, I go with the flow, I improvise and express myself with just about everything that I do. I have fun. I'm making magic naturally. Everything is so surreal at this point.

But I tell you, as crazy as I sometimes think I am, I wouldn't have it any other way. If I told the people here the kind of stuff that I have to go through, the kind of stuff I've been through, you all would think I'd be a suicidal wreck. Quite the opposite, I'm eerily content, and even happy a good portion of the time.

I perceive the world through waves.. Everything is music, and music is everything. Music is the best. Music is my religion.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:35:25 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:30:40 AM, tvellalott wrote:

I love incense.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:35:37 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:29:52 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/20/2011 3:25:12 AM, annhasle wrote:

There it is. That is the dogma. There is where there is belief.

Logic may be useful but ultimately you may not know it's absolutivity.

"Nothing can be known, not even this" ~ Pyrrho

Lol. Logic does not fail since it's laws can be experimented and proven. If applied correctly, any situation can be thoroughly analyzed which increases the chances of comprehension which is indeed beneficial. I do not "believe" in logic, FREEDO. I have found it to be beneficial to my life and therefore implement it.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:37:21 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:30:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

All the wiccans I have met have been great... but lets face it... it's a pile of... okay well I don't want to be rude.

Lol. It depends. One of the things I like is that each Wiccan has their own set of beliefs and understanding. It's primarily an individual religion but you might find some covenants. It's interesting to study and read about -- and even more fun to discuss. I like the uniqueness of it.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:38:40 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:30:40 AM, tvellalott wrote:

White sage isn't incense. She grows it in her garden and then burns it for "smudging rituals". I love the smell. And she burns the charcoal in her cauldron.

Definitely. :)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:39:27 AM
@CosmicGuy: tl;dr

Summary?

Muh threads
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:43:46 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:39:27 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Summary?

your loss.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:44:40 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:35:37 AM, annhasle wrote:
Lol. Logic does not fail since it's laws can be experimented and proven. If applied correctly, any situation can be thoroughly analyzed which increases the chances of comprehension which is indeed beneficial. I do not "believe" in logic, FREEDO. I have found it to be beneficial to my life and therefore implement it.

meh. the whole concept of "experimenting" and having any results from it begs the question of logic. proof only makes sense once you've accepted the it. logic can't be proven by appeal to empirics. generally its already being employed in the appeal.

further, logic does fail in some cases. like the sentence "this sentence is false". it apparently has no non-contradictory truth value. but according to the three axioms of logic thats not possible.

don't get me wrong here, logic is an invaluable tool, but you're overstating your case.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:45:04 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:43:46 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Summary?

your loss.

Gah, alright I'll read it. Everyone gets the benefit of one ridiculously oversized post.

Muh threads
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:46:32 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:45:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 1/20/2011 3:43:46 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Summary?

your loss.

Gah, alright I'll read it. Everyone gets the benefit of one ridiculously oversized post.

dude it spreads over two posts... i don't think anyone should be given that kind of leeway >.>
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:46:34 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:35:37 AM, annhasle wrote:

How can any knowledge of truth be claimed? You could at any point be in delusion about anything. One will say this is logical and the other will say that is--both are caught up in a self-destructive cycle of arrogance.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord