Jump to topic:

Do you think we have all senses

Kristofer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 2:32:24 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
What i mean is, I have recently watched a movie called I origins and in one part of the movie the main guy is giving worms a sense of sight, and for the first time in their life the worms could actually see.
Do you think there is a chance for us humans to be missing some sense (that no other animal has) that would totally change our life. What would it be?
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 6:44:11 PM
Some people would say only the third eye inside you is the one eye that sees everything. This is perhaps why some people can see their surroundings while blindfolded. This could be the reason why some people can walk through walls while remaining on the outside. It could be a separation of consciousness from the physical body. I can always sense when there is something unseen around me. My dog and cats can always sense the same things I'm sensing. We are always looking in the exact direction from which the direction of whatever unseen sits. Some would say this is something like a sixth sense. What if it wasn't? Maybe it's just a soul whispering to the mind of the ego, because the ego can never see anything but itself.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 11:19:58 PM
At 11/13/2016 2:32:24 PM, Kristofer wrote:
What i mean is, I have recently watched a movie called I origins and in one part of the movie the main guy is giving worms a sense of sight, and for the first time in their life the worms could actually see.
Do you think there is a chance for us humans to be missing some sense (that no other animal has) that would totally change our life. What would it be?

Sure. There are animals which have senses we don't. A couple off the top of my head are sonar (bats and dolphins) and detection of magnetic fields (migratory birds).

Even with the senses we do have such as sight and smell, there are animals which possess them to a far greater sensitivity than us. We are quite deprived. :-)
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:05:39 AM

Fully understanding the opposite sex would be a pretty life altering sense to have...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:33:16 PM
Do you think there is a chance for us humans to be missing some sense (that no other animal has) that would totally change our life. What would it be? : :

We'll most likely get more senses to be entertained with after leaving this world.
Kristofer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:53:15 PM
At 11/14/2016 2:05:39 AM, Fly wrote:

Fully understanding the opposite sex would be a pretty life altering sense to have...

lol i would like that sense
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 6:28:52 PM
At 11/13/2016 11:19:58 PM, dee-em wrote:

Sure. There are animals which have senses we don't. A couple off the top of my head are sonar (bats and dolphins) and detection of magnetic fields (migratory birds).

Even with the senses we do have such as sight and smell, there are animals which possess them to a far greater sensitivity than us. We are quite deprived. :-)

We only see a tiny region of the electromagnetic spectrum, since we evolved on a planet with an atmosphere that is transparent to such wavelengths. So the ability to see the full range of wavelengths would allow us to "see" in the dark, although nothing would then appear dark to us.

Another possibility raised in science fiction is the ability to receive electromagnetic patterns by a much more direct route to the brain than through sensory organs like eyes. Species with telepathy by such means is a plausible possibility.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 3:54:25 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/16/2016 6:28:52 PM, Stronn wrote:
At 11/13/2016 11:19:58 PM, dee-em wrote:

We only see a tiny region of the electromagnetic spectrum, since we evolved on a planet with an atmosphere that is transparent to such wavelengths. So the ability to see the full range of wavelengths would allow us to "see" in the dark, although nothing would then appear dark to us.

Another possibility raised in science fiction is the ability to receive electromagnetic patterns by a much more direct route to the brain than through sensory organs like eyes. Species with telepathy by such means is a plausible possibility.

Evolution had no "need" to endow a species with the ability to detect radiation, like a Geiger Counter. That might be a useful sense to have in a post-nuclear warfare Earth.

Really, you could look at anything where we need to use instruments for detection today and make a case that direct perception via senses might be nice.
Kristofer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 9:53:15 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Good talk guys,i have enough information now to embark on a journey to finding what other senses humans are able to develop.