Jump to topic:

Was Jesus an alcoholic?

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 1:16:24 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
We know that jesus made wine from water. We know Jesus and his disciples drank alcohol at their gatherings. We know Jesus made wine from water liberally for other occasions. Is there any account that shows Jesus was drunk from drinking all that wine? We know sooner or later alcohol catches up with the drinker.

We have an account in the bible where Jesus was so drunk he fell and stumbled and even asked that God take the wine cup away from him. That is the cry of an alcoholic seeking help.

Matthew 26:39 is often quoted at AA meetings to prove no one is immune from alcohol addiction, not even Jesus.

Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:09:15 PM
At 11/14/2016 1:16:24 PM, Harikrish wrote:
We know that jesus made wine from water. We know Jesus and his disciples drank alcohol at their gatherings. We know Jesus made wine from water liberally for other occasions. Is there any account that shows Jesus was drunk from drinking all that wine? We know sooner or later alcohol catches up with the drinker.

We have an account in the bible where Jesus was so drunk he fell and stumbled and even asked that God take the wine cup away from him. That is the cry of an alcoholic seeking help.

Matthew 26:39 is often quoted at AA meetings to prove no one is immune from alcohol addiction, not even Jesus.

Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." : :

You have got to be the dumbest person I have ever met.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:29:19 PM
At 11/14/2016 2:09:15 PM, Escobar wrote:

Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." : :

We haven't met. Just the mention of alcohol brought out all the rage in you. What was Jesus doing with a cup of wine just before his impending crucifixion? Getting drunk!!! Then crying out to God to take the cup away from him after falling on his face. Read your bible.
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:30:35 PM
At 11/14/2016 2:29:19 PM, Harikrish wrote:

We haven't met. Just the mention of alcohol brought out all the rage in you. What was Jesus doing with a cup of wine just before his impending crucifixion? Getting drunk!!! Then crying out to God to take the cup away from him after falling on his face. Read your bible. : :

I know dumb people and you're the dumbest one I've ever met.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 2:32:14 PM
Why the cheap shot, H? A little background reading would tell you that the verses have nothing to do with Jesus being drunk.

Matthew uses 'Cup' as a metaphor for Jesus' ill-fated destiny. The 'cup' metaphor first appears in Matthew 20:22

20 Then the mother of Zebedee"s sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him. 21 "What is it you want?" he asked. She said, "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom." 22 "You don"t know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered. 23 Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father."

Jesus was a drunk, Mohammed was a paedophile.... why can't believers get above playground taunts?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:05:16 PM
At 11/14/2016 2:30:35 PM, Escobar wrote:

We haven't met. Just the mention of alcohol brought out all the rage in you. What was Jesus doing with a cup of wine just before his impending crucifixion? Getting drunk!!! Then crying out to God to take the cup away from him after falling on his face. Read your bible. : :

Maybe you should start getting to know smart people for a change. You have been accepted by dumb people for so long, you stopped trying to be smart. We have met, you retard.
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:07:33 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:05:16 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 11/14/2016 2:30:35 PM, Escobar wrote:

Maybe you should start getting to know smart people for a change. You have been accepted by dumb people for so long, you stopped trying to be smart. We have met, you retard. : :

I'm sure glad I didn't have to hang around dumb people like you who believe in a Christian deity named Jesus who you think is an alcoholic. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:14:04 PM
I don't see the problem of drinking too much once in a while, even for a figure like Jesus. He showed several times an understandable human behaviour, such as getting mad, or crying. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he had sex or got married since there is nothing wrong on those things. I think the most important thing is his message, nothing more.

But, in that case, you just took it out of context. You owe believers an apology.

BR
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:19:32 PM
At 11/14/2016 2:32:14 PM, keithprosser wrote:
Why the cheap shot, H? A little background reading would tell you that the verses have nothing to do with Jesus being drunk.

Matthew uses 'Cup' as a metaphor for Jesus' ill-fated destiny. The 'cup' metaphor first appears in Matthew 20:22

20 Then the mother of Zebedee"s sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him. 21 "What is it you want?" he asked. She said, "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom." 22 "You don"t know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered. 23 Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father."

All the references to cup in your quotes are associated with a drink, drinking and has nothing to do with Jesus's impending crucifixion. You just confirmed why Alcohol Anonymous quotes Matthews as a warning to alcoholics that no matter whose cup you drink from you are still an alcoholic.

Jesus was a drunk, Mohammed was a paedophile.... why can't believers get above playground taunts?

We know making wine from water was a waste of a miracle. There are no medical benefits from drinking alcohol. Yet Jesus turned water into wine in his desperation for alcohol which was a waste of a miracle. Even the Pope acknowledges Jesus was a failure of the cross.

The pope said:" The cross shows us a different way of measuring success. Ours is to plant the seeds. God sees to the fruits of our labors. And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and not produce fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus Christ and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, the failure of the cross."
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:27:58 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:19:32 PM, Harikrish wrote:

All the references to cup in your quotes are associated with a drink, drinking and has nothing to do with Jesus's impending crucifixion. You just confirmed why Alcohol Anonymous quotes Matthews as a warning to alcoholics that no matter whose cup you drink from you are still an alcoholic.

We know making wine from water was a waste of a miracle. There are no medical benefits from drinking alcohol. Yet Jesus turned water into wine in his desperation for alcohol which was a waste of a miracle. Even the Pope acknowledges Jesus was a failure of the cross.

The pope said:" The cross shows us a different way of measuring success. Ours is to plant the seeds. God sees to the fruits of our labors. And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and not produce fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus Christ and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, the failure of the cross." : :

The moderators of this forum keep the dumbest people in here while they ban the Truth that I shared in here for over three years now. 'It makes no difference if Jesus was a drunk or womanizer. It was the knowledge of God that he testified to that was important. Not one Christian or reader of the Bible understands what the 1,000 year reign of Christ is and why God is using it to reveal the Truth. Not one man knows what the Truth is.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:33:54 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:14:04 PM, Archaholic wrote:
I don't see the problem of drinking too much once in a while, even for a figure like Jesus. He showed several times an understandable human behaviour, such as getting mad, or crying. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he had sex or got married since there is nothing wrong on those things. I think the most important thing is his message, nothing more.

But, in that case, you just took it out of context. You owe believers an apology.

BR
What was the first miracle Jesus performed? What would be the first miracle an alcoholic like Jesus would have attempted? Would it be related to alcohol or the production of alcohol? Can anybody guess what was on Jesus's mind?

"It's also noteworthy that Christ's first public miracle was turning water into a fine quality wine (John 2:1-11), something He surely would not have done if getting drunk on any alcoholic beverage were a sin."

And the people did get drunk and Jesus even encouraged it.

"Christ instructed Christians to take wine as part of the Passover service (1 Corinthians 11:25-26). In the context of this instruction, Paul corrected some of the Corinthian congregation for getting drunk at the Passover (1 Corinthians 11:21).Clearly, they were using fermented wine in the observance of the Passover or it would not have been possible for them to become drunk."
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:37:07 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:33:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:

BR
What was the first miracle Jesus performed? What would be the first miracle an alcoholic like Jesus would have attempted? Would it be related to alcohol or the production of alcohol? Can anybody guess what was on Jesus's mind?

These are the kind of questions that DUMB people ask.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:37:33 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:27:58 PM, Escobar wrote:

The pope said:" The cross shows us a different way of measuring success. Ours is to plant the seeds. God sees to the fruits of our labors. And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and not produce fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus Christ and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, the failure of the cross." : :

The moderators of this forum keep the dumbest people in here while they ban the Truth that I shared in here for over three years now. 'It makes no difference if Jesus was a drunk or womanizer. It was the knowledge of God that he testified to that was important. Not one Christian or reader of the Bible understands what the 1,000 year reign of Christ is and why God is using it to reveal the Truth. Not one man knows what the Truth is.

You know a thing or two about alcohol. You were an alcoholic by 15 and mentally diminished by your addiction shortly after. Would you have wasted a miracle turning water into alcohol, Brad?
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:40:43 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:37:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You know a thing or two about alcohol. You were an alcoholic by 15 and mentally diminished by your addiction shortly after. Would you have wasted a miracle turning water into alcohol, Brad? : :

I wasn't dumb enough to keep drinking alcohol. Our Creator gave me the knowledge to stop drinking and now to understand exactly how He created us with His thoughts.

You're simply too DUMB to understand that all it takes is to listen to the voice of God and obey His commandments to learn new things.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:48:53 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:37:07 PM, Escobar wrote:

BR

If you asked those question you might have been warned of the dangers of alcohol. Instead you became an alcoholic in your teens and ended up a homeless beggar. Jesus too died a pauper and an alcoholic. Your brain damaged was a result of you being a dumb alcoholic, Brad.
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:50:26 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:48:53 PM, Harikrish wrote:

BR

If you asked those question you might have been warned of the dangers of alcohol. Instead you became an alcoholic in your teens and ended up a homeless beggar. Jesus too died a pauper and an alcoholic. Your brain damaged was a result of you being a dumb alcoholic, Brad. : :

You're the dumbest antagonist in this forum and it's a wonder how God keeps you in here.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:53:07 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:40:43 PM, Escobar wrote:

You know a thing or two about alcohol. You were an alcoholic by 15 and mentally diminished by your addiction shortly after. Would you have wasted a miracle turning water into alcohol, Brad? : :

I wasn't dumb enough to keep drinking alcohol. Our Creator gave me the knowledge to stop drinking and now to understand exactly how He created us with His thoughts.

You're simply too DUMB to understand that all it takes is to listen to the voice of God and obey His commandments to learn new things.

You stopped drinking only after you became a homeless beggar. You were still attending AA meetings in Spain. But when you returned to the US your son threw you out of his house and you turned to the streets. Can't hide what you publicly confessed, Brad.
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:56:15 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:53:07 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 11/14/2016 3:40:43 PM, Escobar wrote:

You stopped drinking only after you became a homeless beggar. You were still attending AA meetings in Spain. But when you returned to the US your son threw you out of his house and you turned to the streets. Can't hide what you publicly confessed, Brad. : :

You have about 1/1,000,000 of a percent of the knowledge about my past and you have totally twisted that small part into lies.

I haven't had a drink of alcohol since December 14th, 1979. That's longer than you probably have lived on this make believe planet.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:00:27 PM

BR

"It's also noteworthy that Christ's first public miracle was turning water into a fine quality wine (John 2:1-11), something He surely would not have done if getting drunk on any alcoholic beverage were a sin."

"Christ instructed Christians to take wine as part of the Passover service (1 Corinthians 11:25-26). In the context of this instruction, Paul corrected some of the Corinthian congregation for getting drunk at the Passover (1 Corinthians 11:21).Clearly, they were using fermented wine in the observance of the Passover or it would not have been possible for them to become drunk."

You look like you never got drunk. I did it several times, and I doen't make me an alcoholic.

Just give it a rest.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:04:23 PM
At 11/14/2016 3:50:26 PM, Escobar wrote:

BR

If you asked those question you might have been warned of the dangers of alcohol. Instead you became an alcoholic in your teens and ended up a homeless beggar. Jesus too died a pauper and an alcoholic. Your brain damaged was a result of you being a dumb alcoholic, Brad. : :

You're the dumbest antagonist in this forum and it's a wonder how God keeps you in here.

We know why God keeps you around. By your own admission God keeps you around to humiliate you. To show the world what a pathetic human being you have become and why people should stay away from alcohol.
God never forgave his own son Jesus for wasting a miracle turning water into wine to satisfy his alcoholism. God abandoned Jesus on the cross. Sober or drunk crucifixion hurts. Jesus cried out.

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me)."
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:09:00 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:04:23 PM, Harikrish wrote:

BR

We know why God keeps you around. By your own admission God keeps you around to humiliate you. To show the world what a pathetic human being you have become and why people should stay away from alcohol.
God never forgave his own son Jesus for wasting a miracle turning water into wine to satisfy his alcoholism. God abandoned Jesus on the cross. Sober or drunk crucifixion hurts. Jesus cried out.

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me)." : :

God is making sure that you liars understand that He's in total control.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:09:44 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:00:27 PM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

You look like you never got drunk. I did it several times, and I doen't make me an alcoholic.

Just give it a rest.

The OP is not about you. It is about Jesus the alcoholic who wasted a few miracles turning water into alcohol. Then pleaded with God to take the up of wine away from him after he fell on his face.

Matthew 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:13:19 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:09:00 PM, Escobar wrote:

BR

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me)." : :

What do you know about control? You have been an alcoholic most of your life. It even turned you into a eunuch!! Should we clap for you or just laugh?
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:15:40 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:13:19 PM, Harikrish wrote:

BR

What do you know about control? You have been an alcoholic most of your life. It even turned you into a eunuch!! Should we clap for you or just laugh? : :

I was 25 years old when God took away my desire to drink alcohol. I've been sober for 37 years now. You're so dumb that you don't know what "most of your life" means.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:17:57 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:09:44 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 11/14/2016 4:00:27 PM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

Just give it a rest.

The OP is not about you. It is about Jesus the alcoholic who wasted a few miracles turning water into alcohol. Then pleaded with God to take the up of wine away from him after he fell on his face.

It was said metaphorically. Jesus was talking about the fear of being killed, as much as I remember. You are not in context at all.

BR
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 5:47:36 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:15:40 PM, Escobar wrote:

BR

What do you know about control? You have been an alcoholic most of your life. It even turned you into a eunuch!! Should we clap for you or just laugh? : :

I was 25 years old when God took away my desire to drink alcohol. I've been sober for 37 years now. You're so dumb that you don't know what "most of your life" means.

You were attending AA meetings in Spain by your own confession before you returned to the US in 2008. 2011 your son threw you out and you became homeless. But that is hardly relevant. Here is what you have confessed to:

You wrote: "I never questioned whether God was real or not but I did get very angry with that biblical God when my brother was killed in a gun accident at the age of 13. I was 19 at the time and already a full blown alcoholic. After seeing him lying on the side of a road next to his friend's farm, the friend whose gun went off accidently and hit my brother in the face, I went on an alcoholic binge for several weeks and had to quit college."

You are already messed up by 19.
lylefox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 7:32:24 PM

BR

good for you mate, don't pay attention to haters that live in their mom's house, no life experience whatsoever
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:05:13 PM
At 11/14/2016 5:47:36 PM, Harikrish wrote:

BR

You were attending AA meetings in Spain by your own confession before you returned to the US in 2008. 2011 your son threw you out and you became homeless. But that is hardly relevant. Here is what you have confessed to:

You wrote: "I never questioned whether God was real or not but I did get very angry with that biblical God when my brother was killed in a gun accident at the age of 13. I was 19 at the time and already a full blown alcoholic. After seeing him lying on the side of a road next to his friend's farm, the friend whose gun went off accidently and hit my brother in the face, I went on an alcoholic binge for several weeks and had to quit college."

You are already messed up by 19. : :

Yes. I was an alcoholic then until December 14th of 1979. That was the first day of my continuous sobriety that I still enjoy today. I really can't remember what it was like to be intoxicated.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:10:19 PM
At 11/14/2016 8:05:13 PM, Escobar wrote:
At 11/14/2016 5:47:36 PM, Harikrish wrote:

BR

You are already messed up by 19. : :

Yes. I was an alcoholic then until December 14th of 1979. That was the first day of my continuous sobriety that I still enjoy today. I really can't remember what it was like to be intoxicated.

That's a very great accomplishment to have been sober all those years, Brad. Kudoes to you.

Hari, on the other hand, has his own severe psychological problems, but still has yet to address them.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Escobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 8:11:02 PM
At 11/14/2016 7:32:24 PM, lylefox wrote:

BR

good for you mate, don't pay attention to haters that live in their mom's house, no life experience whatsoever : :

I'm used to the haters after preaching the Gospel for the past 8 years. Some of them get quite vicious even threatening to kill me. When I was on the streets of Campbell, CA. for 5 years, it was mostly Christians that attacked the Gospel I preached, They hate the Truth with a passion.