Jump to topic:

Unitarian Universalist

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:35:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I used to be one. Probably still would be.. Maybe still am, as I consider myself a humanist. One thing that church attempts to do is present all sides(often times in an inoffensive and factually inaccurate manner).

Yeah, no other place will you see Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, Pagans, and Wiccans holding hands and dancing by the fire... Well, at least the liberal ones who don't mind associating with dogs and swine.

I had a Catholic girlfriend once who wanted me to go to church, she was talking about kids and stuff, and how if we ever were to have kids, she would want them to be raised Catholic. Yeah don't ask.

Since I hate the Catholic Church with a passion, and don't like the idea of my kids being touched by the priests(I'm teasing, but yeah, indoctrination is child abuse to me. Same idea. The Catholic Church STILL teaches through the actions of the priests and symbolism. How profound the Catholic Church is..) I found out about the Unitarian Universalist thing as a sort of compromise.

She didn't like it, so I ended up going by myself for a while... I thought it was alright(save for being surrounded by a bunch of pooossies who don't believe in the cool things that matter like WAR and NUCLEAR WEAPONS.), but then I realized that I was going to a church, and left.

So anyway, what do you all think about it?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 1:27:58 AM
I can't take unitarian universalism seriously, a Church has to actually believe in something.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 6:41:01 PM
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

That goes against my existential nihilism.

3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

Acceptance of all, no matter what?

Why should we encourage "spiritual" growth? What does that consist of?

4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

What is a "free and responsible" search for truth and reason?

5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

Democracy in society? Yuck. Could go on but it would take too long...

Right of conscience? I would say that even if someone didn't want us to have a conscience, we would have one regardless. Can't really take that away...

6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;

Peace -- depends on how you go about advocating for peace. Would you advocate for the abolishment of all violence and controversy?

Justice -- define please. There are multiple concepts of what "justice" means and I have found only one I agree with.

7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

If this means "respect everyone".... Than I would say, "Respect is earned. Not given."

Those are my qualms with the Unitarian Universalist core "beliefs"....
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 7:18:22 PM
At 1/21/2011 6:41:01 PM, annhasle wrote:
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

That goes against my existential nihilism.

Yeah, UU is basically a humanist organisation.

3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

Acceptance of all, no matter what?

Why should we encourage "spiritual" growth? What does that consist of?

Accepting the fact that in a UU church, there are people of many different religions. Respect their right to believe what they want to believe.

Spiritual means different things depending on who you are talking to, but to a secularist like me, spirituality deals with improving mental/emotional stability, and becoming a more effective human being.

4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

What is a "free and responsible" search for truth and reason?

If you want to explore the possibility that sacrificing people will somehow bring you closer to a deity or give you power, that probably would fall into the realm of irresponsible. It violates the humanist nature of the church.

5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

Democracy in society? Yuck. Could go on but it would take too long...

Right of conscience? I would say that even if someone didn't want us to have a conscience, we would have one regardless. Can't really take that away...

What it means by democratic process, is that there isn't a real hierarchy in the UU church(On paper at least). Like, one thing I remembered about it was anyone could do a presentation on "church day", provided they took the time to put something together. By right of conscience, they mean that they aren't going to tell you what you should believe right and wrong is.

6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;

Peace -- depends on how you go about advocating for peace. Would you advocate for the abolishment of all violence and controversy?

They most advocate civil rights issues. It is a very liberal church. I don't think they advocate the creation of new laws. I could be mistaken, I didn't bother to look anything up about it. When I was there last, there was a group that was concerned about allowing homosexuals to marry.

Justice -- define please. There are multiple concepts of what "justice" means and I have found only one I agree with.

Couldn't tell you. I assume it would be something related to humanist values.

7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

If this means "respect everyone".... Than I would say, "Respect is earned. Not given."

An interdependent web of all existence goes a lot further than respecting everyone. This has to do with respecting the natural order of things. We wouldn't be here if the conditions weren't right.

Those are my qualms with the Unitarian Universalist core "beliefs"....

The UU is a church without dogma. Basically, it just comes down to whether you think humanism is a good idea or not.

Even if you are a moral nihilist, I still think humanism is a good idea.

I consider myself a moral absurdist. Humanism doesn't conflict with that, because even though I consider myself a secular humanist, I am a moral absurdist above all.

Moral Absurdism is the almost the same thing as Moral Nihilism. Objectively, I don't believe in morality.. However, I can still have morals, as long as I realize that it is just a fabrication. Something to make my life either more practical, or more fun.

I am an absurdist through and through.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 7:44:08 PM
UU claims to be a religion but has no real doctrines except the acceptance and promotion of all religions.

I don't see the point of it other than that it gives you an opportunity to congregate with people from many different religions.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 7:52:21 PM
That alone made it worth it.

They had a cool Buddhist meditation thing that happened every Wednesday over at the place I went to.

My main complaint is that none of the buddhists there seemed to be getting what Buddha was about.

I've never met a Buddhist who truly understood how profound the guy was.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:24:21 AM
At 1/21/2011 1:27:58 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I can't take unitarian universalism seriously, a Church has to actually believe in something.

We do, we have seven principals. Whether it can really be considered a church or a religion is debatable...
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:25:49 AM
At 1/21/2011 7:44:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
UU claims to be a religion but has no real doctrines except the acceptance and promotion of all religions.

I don't see the point of it other than that it gives you an opportunity to congregate with people from many different religions.

And learn about them. They preach about life. You go and is you have a good minister, it makes you think. It can also inspire.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:27:06 AM
What is a UU service like? Seems kind of weird since atheists participate so they can't really preach about God.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:46:39 AM
At 1/22/2011 1:27:06 AM, HatedeatH wrote:
What is a UU service like? Seems kind of weird since atheists participate so they can't really preach about God.

Honestly you have to go so one. I can send you sermons if you like but in my church it goes this way.

1. Prelude (played by my mom on the organ yay ^_^)

2. opening words

3. welcome and announcements

4. children's story (then children leave and go to sunday school)

5. candles of joys and sorrows(people light candles and talk about things going on with them that are important to them)

6. Offertory(also played by my mom. :D)

7. sermon about life and such things

8. closing words and postlude

9. everyone goes out in the social room, eats, talks about life, what's going on with them, etc.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 6:30:31 AM

Not at all. It's a bunch of bland intellectual elitists who talk a lot about nothing of any real depth. There are quite a few UU churches around here in New England and i have attended a few of their services. They aren't worth the time unless you are looking for social networking. By the way, they are the whitest, most monolithic group i have seen despite their cherished value of diversity.

There's nothing to sink your teeth into, but just a bunch of mushy platitudes.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:42:24 AM
At 1/23/2011 6:30:31 AM, innomen wrote:

Not at all. It's a bunch of bland intellectual elitists who talk a lot about nothing of any real depth.

Sounds like DDO.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 9:42:23 AM

Not at all. It's a bunch of bland intellectual elitists who talk a lot about nothing of any real depth. There are quite a few UU churches around here in New England and i have attended a few of their services. They aren't worth the time unless you are looking for social networking. By the way, they are the whitest, most monolithic group i have seen despite their cherished value of diversity.

My thoughts exactly. It was definitely more of a social thing than a a place you go to really think about things. But that is the point I guess, they expect you to go out on your own and figure things out. If they tell you about any other religions, they are just giving you a very basic idea so that if you are interested in learning more, you can. That was my evaluation.

Their presentation on Taoism made me face palm.. But Taoism is one of those things where.. You read the Tao Te Ching.. You get it, you laugh, and then you never really have to read it again. It isn't a religion so much as it is a way of operating. Of course, that didn't stop the Chinese from making Lao Tzu part of a trinity and making a religion around it(sound familiar?).

Back in ancient times, if you were some wise dude who said a lot of righteous stuff, you were pretty much guaranteed to be deified and put into some trinity.

Hell, Buddha's last dying wish was that no one worship him as a god. Somehow people did that, but it gave me another reason to respect the guy. Still didn't stop certain sects from deifying him though. XD

I suppose you could say the UU Church it is mostly for the kids; parents who want their kids to have a church, but don't want to indoctrinate them to a specific religion.

For an adult, the social aspect is all you'd really get out of it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:04:23 PM
By the way, if you ever see a pride parade, you will find more UU churches marching with their banners than any other church. There are more UU people marching than gays and lesbians. They definitely want everyone to know that they are the most tolerant white Anglo-Saxon people to gather in an upper middle class gated community.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:21:47 PM

That isn't true. They must not have a good minister. I am a UU, and I've attended services all my life. I have always been inspired by what they said. They make me think. I can't believe you made all those generalizations just because you've been to a few services. I've been to services all over the country. Across the country we have people from lots of races and groups of all kinds. I am disgusted by this comment. You obviously don't know much about us so don't make blanket generalizations.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:24:47 PM
At 1/23/2011 9:42:23 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

My thoughts exactly. It was definitely more of a social thing than a a place you go to really think about things. But that is the point I guess, they expect you to go out on your own and figure things out. If they tell you about any other religions, they are just giving you a very basic idea so that if you are interested in learning more, you can. That was my evaluation.

Their presentation on Taoism made me face palm.. But Taoism is one of those things where.. You read the Tao Te Ching.. You get it, you laugh, and then you never really have to read it again. It isn't a religion so much as it is a way of operating. Of course, that didn't stop the Chinese from making Lao Tzu part of a trinity and making a religion around it(sound familiar?).

Back in ancient times, if you were some wise dude who said a lot of righteous stuff, you were pretty much guaranteed to be deified and put into some trinity.

Hell, Buddha's last dying wish was that no one worship him as a god. Somehow people did that, but it gave me another reason to respect the guy. Still didn't stop certain sects from deifying him though. XD

I suppose you could say the UU Church it is mostly for the kids; parents who want their kids to have a church, but don't want to indoctrinate them to a specific religion.

For an adult, the social aspect is all you'd really get out of it.

I can't believe this. I know lots of intelligent adults of all kinds that get a lot out of the services. Just because you don't and you've been to a couple services means nothing. I have seen some bad ministers who come off that way, but not all are like that.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:27:37 PM
I felt like I got more out of talking to the people there than the actual service, but hey, every church is different.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:28:19 PM
At 1/23/2011 1:04:23 PM, innomen wrote:
By the way, if you ever see a pride parade, you will find more UU churches marching with their banners than any other church. There are more UU people marching than gays and lesbians. They definitely want everyone to know that they are the most tolerant white Anglo-Saxon people to gather in an upper middle class gated community.

Are you kidding me? In my church, and in my brother's church in california, we have people from almost every race, not to mention that I, and most of the people at my church, are by no means rich or even close to being in gated communities. At my church, most people are actually more like poor, earth-loving hippies. Maybe that's what they are like where you come from, but not in my experience. Please stop making blanket statements when you obviously haven't gotten to know these people. Do you know all the programs that UUs have? Like "standing on the side of love"? You make it sound like they are just trying to make themselves look good but we actually go out and do something.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:29:17 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:27:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I felt like I got more out of talking to the people there than the actual service, but hey, every church is different.

That is true. I have met UUs I don't like. But, I just don't like the blanket statements he is making.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:35:20 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:28:19 PM, rogue wrote:

Are you kidding me? In my church, and in my brother's church in california, we have people from almost every race, not to mention that I, and most of the people at my church, are by no means rich or even close to being in gated communities. At my church, most people are actually more like poor, earth-loving hippies. Maybe that's what they are like where you come from, but not in my experience. Please stop making blanket statements when you obviously haven't gotten to know these people. Do you know all the programs that UUs have? Like "standing on the side of love"? You make it sound like they are just trying to make themselves look good but we actually go out and do something.

Here, these would be the parents of the earth loving hippies, who actually would be official atheists, although probably still being supported by their parents.

Forgive me, i had no idea that they were the authors of such a profound movement as "standing on the side of love". What the heck was i thinking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:36:20 PM
Considering the diverse nature of the UU church, it is hard to make a serious blanket statement.

What ties it all together really is respect. It has nothing to do with considering another person's beliefs even valid, you are just respecting their right to believe it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:40:54 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:36:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Considering the diverse nature of the UU church, it is hard to make a serious blanket statement.

What ties it all together really is respect. It has nothing to do with considering another person's beliefs even valid, you are just respecting their right to believe it.

Yeah, try walking into one of their little gatherings wearing a pro George Bush t-shirt. Lot's of respect. Yeah, if you're back, they'll bend over backward for you. The white guilt is strong in those places.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:44:48 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:35:20 PM, innomen wrote:

Here, these would be the parents of the earth loving hippies, who actually would be official atheists, although probably still being supported by their parents.

Forgive me, i had no idea that they were the authors of such a profound movement as "standing on the side of love". What the heck was i thinking.

Do you know what it is? They aren't the authors but they are very closely associated with it.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:47:12 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:40:54 PM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, try walking into one of their little gatherings wearing a pro George Bush t-shirt. Lot's of respect. Yeah, if you're back, they'll bend over backward for you. The white guilt is strong in those places.

They probably wouldn't like it, but they wouldn't be rude or anything. They'd probably ask you why you feel that way and debate you right there. I know black and lots of different races like Indian and asian and they are just other members. You don't know what you are talking about.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:48:14 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:44:48 PM, rogue wrote:

Do you know what it is? They aren't the authors but they are very closely associated with it.

I know of it being a mushy movement where they take the bold stance in opposing oppression, particularly against homophobia. It isn't surprising, actually typical to the point of cliche.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:48:16 PM

I agree with that. Maybe some are like what he says, but definitely not the ones I have encountered. Which is a good amount.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:50:56 PM
You lost me totally Innomen. There were just as many black people as white people at the UU place that I went to.

They also had an unemployed group over there for people who were having trouble finding jobs.

Geography has a lot to do with it.

As for the GWB scenario....

You'll never know until you try, right? XD
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:52:43 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:48:16 PM, rogue wrote:

I agree with that. Maybe some are like what he says, but definitely not the ones I have encountered. Which is a good amount.

Really....how welcome would a tea party, member, pro gun, George Bush loving Texan be? You honestly are expecting me to believe that he would be respected and his views entertained without judgment? I think you aren't being honest with yourself.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:53:53 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:48:14 PM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 3:44:48 PM, rogue wrote:

I know of it being a mushy movement where they take the bold stance in opposing oppression, particularly against homophobia. It isn't surprising, actually typical to the point of cliche.

It isn't just about gays. It is also about things like welcoming immigrant families, and any kind of oppression and discrimination. How is this bad? If mushy is trying to stop mistreatment then I am happy to be so. Actually know what you are talking about before you condemn it.

http://www.standingonthesideoflove.org...