Jump to topic:

A single being.

Iacov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 3:43:01 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Although I am a Pagan I idea I toy with in my head is what if there is a single supreme being and when it gave humans free will it understood that not all humans would think the same so it manifested itself to man in the form of many different gods whether that be in the form of the Christian god, allah, the aesir, and many other. Thoughts?
Wyrd bi" ful ar"d Fate is inexorable.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 3:49:16 PM
What if man's obsession with patterns is the base cause of the stupidity known as god belief?
That is the truth of our species.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 3:52:37 PM
At 11/17/2016 3:43:01 PM, Iacov wrote:
Although I am a Pagan I idea I toy with in my head is what if there is a single supreme being and when it gave humans free will it understood that not all humans would think the same so it manifested itself to man in the form of many different gods whether that be in the form of the Christian god, allah, the aesir, and many other. Thoughts?

Depends on how one defines single supreme being'. What if that 'supreme' is touched on by physics wherein the energy of all bodies eventually decay and create new parts of this world and the cosmos?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 4:00:19 PM
At 11/17/2016 3:43:01 PM, Iacov wrote:

Our various ideas of "God" are just our ideas. They are not "gods" in themselves. And they are not likely to be particularly accurate representations of whatever "God" may be. In fact, even a cursory glance will reveal that out ideas of "God" tend to be absurdly anthropomorphic. As it human nature to fill in the mystery with reflections of ourselves.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, so long as the recognize that this is what we ten to do. And that we understand that out idea of "God" is not actually God.