Jump to topic:

The path to discovering God's existence

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:13:52 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
I have a theory. People who conclude that God doesn't exist or say that there's no evidence of God don't withhold belief for intellectual reasons, but for egotistical reasons. It feeds the primitive human ego, the innately self-serving aspect of human nature for having the need to feel superior in any respect to a different group of people. Their path towards discovering God's existence is not swayed by intellectual curiosity, but by the needs of their own ego.

I believe this is how God intended it to be. The path towards discovering God will only be illuminated only once you've let go of your ego. The truth is there waiting for you, once you do.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:24:37 PM
At 11/17/2016 5:13:52 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
I have a theory. People who conclude that God doesn't exist or say that there's no evidence of God don't withhold belief for intellectual reasons, but for egotistical reasons. It feeds the primitive human ego, the innately self-serving aspect of human nature for having the need to feel superior in any respect to a different group of people. Their path towards discovering God's existence is not swayed by intellectual curiosity, but by the needs of their own ego.

I find it to be the opposite. What better way to show how right and superior you are than by having an omnipotent deity on your side who just so happens to line up with the way you think.

I believe this is how God intended it to be.

... -cough-.

The path towards discovering God will only be illuminated only once you've let go of your ego. The truth is there waiting for you, once you do.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:31:53 PM

I believe this is how God intended it to be. The path towards discovering God will only be illuminated only once you've let go of your ego. The truth is there waiting for you, once you do.

Actually, that is EXACTLY what you are doing right now. You are feeding your own primitive human ego, the innately self-serving aspect of human nature for having the need to feel superior in any respect to a different group of people. Why else would say what you just said?

There are people who feel that there is no evidence for the existence for God and as they believe that there is no evidence, they rightfully feel that they have the right to live in a society that does not try to force a religion upon them. And now you have the gaul to JUDGE those people 'egotistical'?

I have a theory too, my theory is that people who do conclude that God exist are not all idiots. My theory is that there are a lot of good people out there who do belief in a God, who ought to have the right to belief in a God, and who ought to have the right to not be judged for believing in God. But just as there are a lot of good people, there are also some not so good people who judge others for not believing and who want for others to live as they say THEY say that others ought to live. You know the type, you could be one of them.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:32:31 PM
At 11/17/2016 5:24:37 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I find it to be the opposite. What better way to show how right and superior you are than by having an omnipotent deity on your side who just so happens to line up with the way you think.

... -cough-.

The path towards discovering God will only be illuminated only once you've let go of your ego. The truth is there waiting for you, once you do.

It's not exclusive to atheism per se. It's about believing for egotistical reasons rather than intellectual ones. This could also apply to reasons for believe in any specific conception of God.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:34:26 PM

What is egocentric about disbelieving in something without evidence (or consistent and non arbitrary definition)? Ironically, it seems you are using belief in god to laud over others and stroke your own ego in a pretense of self-deprecation.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:35:44 PM

Ben , that's nice. I here ya.

I to have a theory . Well its a saying.
Beliving in something you can't prove is fine.
But worshiping and living your life in accordance with something you can't prove. Is ludicrous.

Nice post Ben .
I'm not even going to pick it apart and add a insult or two.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:39:41 PM
At 11/17/2016 5:31:53 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

Actually, that is EXACTLY what you are doing right now. You are feeding your own primitive human ego, the innately self-serving aspect of human nature for having the need to feel superior in any respect to a different group of people. Why else would say what you just said?

I don't feel the need to do that and I don't feel superior. I said it because that's what I truly believe about why many atheists disbelieve or say there's no evidence of God.

There are people who feel that there is no evidence for the existence for God and as they believe that there is no evidence, they rightfully feel that they have the right to live in a society that does not try to force a religion upon them. And now you have the gaul to JUDGE those people 'egotistical'?

It's not a "judgement" it's an observation, although not an obvious one. Saying that there is no evidence is not a conclusion reached through intellectual curiosity, but through egotistical reasons. Is it possible intellectually honest people can conclude that there's 0 evidence of God? Possible? Yes, but generally, no.

I have a theory too, my theory is that people who do conclude that God exist are not all idiots. My theory is that there are a lot of good people out there who do belief in a God, who ought to have the right to belief in a God, and who ought to have the right to not be judged for believing in God. But just as there are a lot of good people, there are also some not so good people who judge others for not believing and who want for others to live as they say THEY say that others ought to live. You know the type, you could be one of them.

There are idiots on both sides, no doubt. There are also very bright people on both sides. You can be very bright but have your interpretation of the evidence swayed by ego, though.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:46:38 PM

... -cough-.

It's not exclusive to atheism per se.

I would say its not relevant to atheism at all.

It's about believing for egotistical reasons rather than intellectual ones. This could also apply to reasons for believe in any specific conception of God.

So, in what way is my ego being served by not seeing God/evidence? How does that make me, or make me feel at least, "superior" to others?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:47:02 PM
I have a theory. People who conclude that God doesn't exist or say that there's no evidence of God don't withhold belief for intellectual reasons, but for egotistical reasons. It feeds the primitive human ego, the innately self-serving aspect of human nature for having the need to feel superior in any respect to a different group of people.

Well done, Ben, you managed to perfectly project the egotistical, superior and self-serving attitude of theists onto those who simply don't want to behave that way.

Tell us, Ben, how can atheists even exist without the group of egotistical, superior and self-serving theists who are told to go out and spread their egotistical, superior and self-serving scriptures?

Their path towards discovering God's existence is not swayed by intellectual curiosity, but by the needs of their own ego.

I believe this is how God intended it to be. The path towards discovering God will only be illuminated only once you've let go of your ego. The truth is there waiting for you, once you.

And, the truth is what Ben? ... egotistical, superior and self-serving truth?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:52:44 PM
At 11/17/2016 5:46:38 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

... -cough-.

I would.

It's about believing for egotistical reasons rather than intellectual ones. This could also apply to reasons for believe in any specific conception of God.

So, in what way is my ego being served by not seeing God/evidence? How does that make me, or make me feel at least, "superior" to others?

The reason one would say that there's no evidence of God is because of the ego. Aligning yourself with a group of people because they're perceived to be superior in regard to a different group of people, and not because of intellectual reasons, but because it's self-promoting.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 5:59:17 PM

You have an idea not a "theory"............................
All gods exist on belief alone, no evidence is needed. look at all the gods of the past, they became myth when belief was suspended.
An intellectual honesty person would have to say "I do not know if gods exist".
However if a person concedes that a creator god does exists, how would we know anything about such a being, like it's birthday, it's name, it's gender or it's intentions?
When you start to give gods attributes, that is when your ego is involved. And the more attributes you give gods, the more limits you give gods.
I will admit my ignorance and say I do not know what God is, but I do know what God is not, and God is not a contradiction, nor is God a Christian god.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:00:59 PM
At 11/17/2016 5:39:41 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 11/17/2016 5:31:53 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I don't feel the need to do that and I don't feel superior. I said it because that's what I truly believe about why many atheists disbelieve or say there's no evidence of God.

Okay, in that case i will first appologize. If that is what you truly believe, then i should not judge you on what you belief.

Now, with that said. I do not believe in the God of the Bible or any other holy scripture myself and i do belief in evolution and the Big Bang (though there was a time that i didn't belief in the Big Bang). Nevertheless, i do discount the possibility of the existence of a God either. The reason why i do not belief in the Bible is because i find the God of the Bible to be inconsistent with the Universe as we now know it to be. My disbelief in the Bible does not originate from the egocentric view that i got to be better than other people. I am not better than other people and i don;t want to be better than other people. What i do want is to be true to myself.

It's not a "judgement" it's an observation, although not an obvious one. Saying that there is no evidence is not a conclusion reached through intellectual curiosity, but through egotistical reasons. Is it possible intellectually honest people can conclude that there's 0 evidence of God? Possible? Yes, but generally, no.

Zero evidence is indeed a very tall order. No matter how you look at it, the universe does not add up. yet the fact that it does not add up does not mean that therefor a God must exist, it simply means that there is still an awefull lot that we don't know.

There are idiots on both sides, no doubt. There are also very bright people on both sides. You can be very bright but have your interpretation of the evidence swayed by ego, though.

And that goes both ways. The problem with the whole Theist-Atheist argument on this forum is that it is not only the Universe that doesn't add up, but also the Bible. If you take the Bible in a literal sence (as some of the people here are doing), it becomes impossible to be a rational Theist as there are too many contradictions in the text of the Bible. Yet some people do and i would say that those people's interpretations of the evidence is also swayed by ego.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:02:28 PM
At 11/17/2016 5:52:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 11/17/2016 5:46:38 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

... -cough-.

I would.

The reason one would say that there's no evidence of God is because of the ego. Aligning yourself with a group of people because they're perceived to be superior in regard to a different group of people, and not because of intellectual reasons, but because it's self-promoting.

That didn't answer the question, though, been. How is my ego served by doing this? How does ignorning/disbelieving God/evidence or what have not feed my ego? If you are talking about herd mentality, that might be a possibility, but people tend to rally and cheer on their particular herd after they have evaluated and joined said herd on whatever merits they feel it posses.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:05:49 PM
Begins at the bottom of Benny's garden, just below the toadstool of old man Garry the goblin, just remember to turn left along the fairy path and you can't miss it. It is sign posted, you can read fairey can't you?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:21:32 PM
At 11/17/2016 6:05:49 PM, bulproof wrote:
Begins at the bottom of Benny's garden, just below the toadstool of old man Garry the goblin, just remember to turn left along the fairy path and you can't miss it. It is sign posted, you can read fairey can't you?

Fae.

Fae folk, whom speak "Fae".

Racist.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:27:15 PM
At 11/17/2016 6:21:32 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/17/2016 6:05:49 PM, bulproof wrote:

Fae.

Fae folk, whom speak "Fae".

Racist.
I'm surrounded by pedants.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:29:55 PM

In my experience speaking with non believers it is often ego, they believe they can be important, rich, successful or what ever by themselves, they have lost someone they love and blame God, or they have something in their lifestyle they do not want to give up...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:33:11 PM
At 11/17/2016 6:29:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:

In my experience speaking with non believers it is often ego, they believe they can be important, rich, successful or what ever by themselves, they have lost someone they love and blame God, or they have something in their lifestyle they do not want to give up...
You've never spoken to a non believer in your life, what a pathetic lying godist you are.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:38:41 PM

But this is true for all concerned, including the religious believers who likewise hold to their beliefs at the expense of reason, honesty, and curiosity. Willful ignorance in the service of ego is not the purview of the atheist, alone. There are easily as many theists practicing it as there are of anyone, anywhere.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 3:17:35 AM
What on Earth is all this blathering about "Ego".Ego has nothing whatever to do with a persons belief/disbelief in any religion.Your ego is a sum total of what makes you,you.What you eat,read,what you like/loathe,who you like/loathe and all the myriad,mundanities of life that you experience.It won't make you join a group or feel inferior/superior,that isn't its job.It is the part of your memory that makes you a singular,unique entity.What you people have been discussing is in fact the "ID".I quote from the Collins English Dictionary "The primitive instincts and energies in the unconscious mind that underlie all psychological impulses".Does "psychological impulse" not perfectly describe a true believers rock solid Faith in God?Does it not also apply to the equally solid disbelief of the athiest?When Paul fell off his horse on the road to Damascus did he hit his head?.
See the happy moron: he doesn't give a damn:I wish I were a moron:My God! perhaps I am!. Anonymous.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 7:02:09 AM

It's clear you don't have an ego, because after all threads you've posted about objective morality being decimated one would think you'd take the hint. But no, you continue unphased and un-brused head strong towards nothing. No ego or understanding of criticism required.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:48:22 AM

A bit rich coming from someone who is so besotted by his ego that he is forever coming up with abstract theories relating to his imaginary friend.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 10:04:03 AM

Yup, typical if you don't believe as I do, it's because your being evil.

Real tired of your sh*t ben.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 10:09:37 AM
At 11/18/2016 9:48:22 AM, Willows wrote:

A bit rich coming from someone who is so besotted by his ego that he is forever coming up with abstract theories relating to his imaginary friend.

https://www.youtube.com...
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 10:11:14 AM

Actually Ben humor me with something, do you believe that is possible that some one doesn't believe in "God" (insert your definition/mental image here) absent any evil motivations ?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:24:11 PM

Most atheists just haven't perceived God. I have yet to come up with a reason they actually try to show he doesn't exist though. Your theory is as good as any.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 5:50:50 AM

I have a theory. People who conclude that God doesn't exist or say that there's no evidence of God don't withhold belief for intellectual reasons, but as a rejection of primitive human imagination and fears. It was the primitive human ego that invented gods in the first place.