Jump to topic:

Eternal life

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 11:42:46 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
What a bore that would be. It would drive anyone crazy. It makes sense now why the gods are described as they are. They're nucking futz from eternal boredom.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:13:46 AM
If being dead becomes more exciting than being alive, then maybe you were never living to begin with. I once told a too cool guy that I felt like I had died. Figuratively. Literally he starts almost screaming. No! No! No! I didn't know what to make of that. I wasn't sure of the angle. It might of been a borderline literal pitch, given the intensity of the tone of such an inflection that got me to thinking about things. It's always the little things that say bigger things when your head is too bloated like mine to make room for adjustments. Like this penny I found on the ground. Everybody sees a penny on the ground, but rarely does anyone pick it up. People always say "a penny for your thoughts. Well this was a funny penny. Funny money. Maybe. Instead of saying the same as all pennies do, instead of saying " in God we trust ", this penny had something different to say. It said " I am God we trust". The way I read it was, " I am God. We trust". Well look at that. Maybe they do trust.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:16:51 AM
At 11/17/2016 11:42:46 PM, janesix wrote:
What a bore that would be. It would drive anyone crazy. It makes sense now why the gods are described as they are. They're nucking futz from eternal boredom.

Eternal bliss would be fun. Much more fun than non-existing.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:21:39 AM

How would eternal life be boring?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:22:14 AM
At 11/18/2016 12:16:51 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

Eternal bliss would be fun. Much more fun than non-existing.

How do you know it would be bliss? maybe it would be a never ending nightmare.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:25:35 AM
At 11/18/2016 12:21:39 AM, difference wrote:

What do you do when you run out of new things to do?
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 3:14:33 AM
At 11/18/2016 12:25:35 AM, janesix wrote:

I guess you'd do the old stuff, though I don't think life would become boring because of it. If by eternal life you mean life without beginning or end, "new" and "old" wouldn't be mean anything. If you mean life with beginning but no end, then I wonder what kind of decay (if any) could be expected to come.

Anyway, there must be more to boredom than just a perceived lack of novelty. People fall asleep throughout their entire lives but I doubt anyone at any age would call it boring, unless you are waiting for the drowsiness to come.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 3:52:13 AM

ever heard islamic heaven? i guarantee you would not be bored.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 4:24:34 AM

The first 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years or so would be fun. After that, I think you'd be pleading for it to be over.

Actually, if it's what it's made out to be in the Bible, all the above is a lie. None of it would be fun.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:37:24 AM
At 11/18/2016 12:13:46 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
If being dead becomes more exciting than being alive, then maybe you were never living to begin with. I once told a too cool guy that I felt like I had died. Figuratively. Literally he starts almost screaming. No! No! No! I didn't know what to make of that. I wasn't sure of the angle. It might of been a borderline literal pitch, given the intensity of the tone of such an inflection that got me to thinking about things. It's always the little things that say bigger things when your head is too bloated like mine to make room for adjustments. Like this penny I found on the ground. Everybody sees a penny on the ground, but rarely does anyone pick it up. People always say "a penny for your thoughts. Well this was a funny penny. Funny money. Maybe. Instead of saying the same as all pennies do, instead of saying " in God we trust ", this penny had something different to say. It said " I am God we trust". The way I read it was, " I am God. We trust". Well look at that. Maybe they do trust.

Let me know what you are on, so I can avoid it.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:47:46 AM

You can't say that gods suffer from eternal boredom. This is something a human would suffer from, but necessarily a god (since they aren't human).
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Don't waste your time trying to find truth...you pleb!
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:07:08 AM

I don't think I would enjoy living for eternity in some sort of pseudo-bliss haven run by a psychopathic mass-murderer with anger management problems.

And what about his fancy-shnancy pants tree hugging, lesbian dolphin loving son, forever preaching on the virtues of righteousness?

And what sort of bands do they have up there? All the good rock bands will no doubt not make the cut for heaven and be eternally doing gigs in the (very hot) basement club.

I certainly wouldn't be queuing up for tickets on cloud nine just to see the likes of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

No way Jose, give me eternal damnation. I would hang out at the basement club and, yes, the beer may be a bit warm and you only have chilli dogs and deviled wings to eat. At least you can go out and muck-up just for the hell of it, knowing that things can't get any worse anyway.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:28:59 AM
At 11/18/2016 3:52:13 AM, uncung wrote:

Give examples please to WHY it would not be boring?
I'm dying to find out.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 9:50:03 AM

Let's just suppose for a fact that we are a few million years down the road with civilization having taken us there. Immortality is a reality with all of our minds having been copied in extra-dimensional lattices made out of pure energy that can sustain themselves for billions of years without needing maintenance. The biggest problem of course is indeed boredom as Virtual and Gaming Realities have lost their appeal. Been there, done that, and I am out of closet-space for those darned T-shirts. How would such a society cope with that boredom? The reason why we are be bored is because we have done everything and we remember having done everything and the one thing that you can not recapture is the wonder and the excitement of doing something for the very first time, or is it? What if you can recapture that first moment and all that you have to do is to simply erase your memories, store them away someplace where they wont bother you until you feel like revisiting them. All that you need then is a realistic virtual reality in which you would effectively be born, raised, do everything as if it was the first time, enjoy or despair adulthood, grow old, enjoy retirement, die, and become your "whole" self again in "death". With a technology advanced enough, this would become possible.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 10:31:52 AM
At 11/18/2016 9:28:59 AM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

Seventy-two virgins to start with. I think the qualification there is martyrdom, so you have to wear a special vest and take a few other people with you.

Once you are there though you can spend your day riding roughshod on the back of an open-top Landcruiser reeling off rounds from an AK-47 like there's no tomorrow.

At the end of a hard day's plundering, you get to sit around inside a big tent with your ex-martyr mates feeding on a couple of rabbits stuffed into a lamb which is stuffed into a calf, in turn, stuffed into a camel, tastefully garnished with goats' testicles....yummo.

Then you all sit around sucking on a hookah packed with Allah's finest leaf then off to bed after selecting a couple of temptresses.

You get up in the morning and repeat the same thing, every day forever.

Wow, what a hoot.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:02:02 PM

I'm dying to find out.

Paradise and the delights that it contains:

"And if you ask about its ground and its soil, then it is of musk and saffron.

And if you ask about its roof, then it is the Throne of the Most Merciful.

And if you ask about its rocks, then they are pearls and jewels.

And if you ask about its buildings, then they are made of bricks of gold and silver.

And if you ask about its trees, then it does not contain a single tree except that its trunk is made of gold and silver.

And if you ask about its fruits, then they are softer than butter and sweeter than honey.

And if you ask about its leaves, then they are softer than the softest cloth.

And if you ask about its rivers, then there are rivers of milk who's taste does not change, and rivers of wine that is delicious to those who drink it, and rivers of honey that is pure, and rivers of water that is fresh.

And if you ask about their food, then it is fruits from whatever they will choose, and the meat of whatever birds they desire.

And if you ask about their drink, then it is Tasneem mix with ginger, and Kaafoor.

And if you ask about their drinking cups, then they are crystal-clear and made of gold and silver.

And if you ask about its shade, then a fast rider would ride in the shade of one of its trees for a hundred years and not escape it, where they could have Sex there.

And if you ask about its vastness, then the lowest of its people would have within his kingdom and walls and palaces and gardens the distance that would be travelled in a thousand years.

And if you ask about its tents and encampments, then one tent is like a concealed pearl that is sixty miles long.

And if you ask about its towers, then they are rooms above rooms in buildings that have rivers running underneath them.

And if you ask about how far it reaches into the sky, then look at the shining star that is visible, as well as those that are far in the heavens that the eyesight cannot possibly reach.

And if you ask about the clothing of its inhabitants, then they are of silk and gold.

And if you ask about its beds, then its blankets are of the finest silk laid out in the highest of its levels.

And if you ask about the faces of its inhabitants and their beauty, then they are like the image of the Moon.

And if you ask about their age, then they are young ones of 33 years in the image of Adam, the father of humanity.

And if you ask about what they will be hearing, then it is the singing of their wives from among the Hoor al-'Ayn, and better than that are the voices of the Angels and the Prophets, and better than that is the Speech of the Lord of the Worlds.

And if you ask about their servants, then they are young boys of everlasting youth who resemble scattered pearls.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:03:22 PM
In another thread someone answered the question 'What happens when you die?', with - "nothingness"
If you live until there is nothingness, seems to me there is an argument that is an eternity.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:23:35 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:03:22 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
In another thread someone answered the question 'What happens when you die?', with - "nothingness"
If you live until there is nothingness, seems to me there is an argument that is an eternity.
And your point is?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:24:57 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:02:02 PM, uncung wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

And if you ask about its buildings, then they are made of bricks of gold and silver.

And if you ask about its trees, then it does not contain a single tree except that its trunk is made of gold and silver.

And if you ask about its fruits, then they are softer than butter and sweeter than honey.

And if you ask about its rivers, then there are rivers of milk who's taste does not change, and rivers of wine that is delicious to those who drink it, and rivers of honey that is pure, and rivers of water that is fresh.

And if you ask about their food, then it is fruits from whatever they will choose, and the meat of whatever birds they desire.

And if you ask about their drink, then it is Tasneem mix with ginger, and Kaafoor.

And if you ask about their drinking cups, then they are crystal-clear and made of gold and silver.

And if you ask about its shade, then a fast rider would ride in the shade of one of its trees for a hundred years and not escape it, where they could have Sex there.

And if you ask about its vastness, then the lowest of its people would have within his kingdom and walls and palaces and gardens the distance that would be travelled in a thousand years.

And if you ask about its tents and encampments, then one tent is like a concealed pearl that is sixty miles long.

And if you ask about its towers, then they are rooms above rooms in buildings that have rivers running underneath them.

And if you ask about how far it reaches into the sky, then look at the shining star that is visible, as well as those that are far in the heavens that the eyesight cannot possibly reach.

And if you ask about the clothing of its inhabitants, then they are of silk and gold.

And if you ask about its beds, then its blankets are of the finest silk laid out in the highest of its levels.

And if you ask about the faces of its inhabitants and their beauty, then they are like the image of the Moon.

And if you ask about their age, then they are young ones of 33 years in the image of Adam, the father of humanity.

And if you ask about what they will be hearing, then it is the singing of their wives from among the Hoor al-'Ayn, and better than that are the voices of the Angels and the Prophets, and better than that is the Speech of the Lord of the Worlds.

And if you ask about their servants, then they are young boys of everlasting youth who resemble scattered pearls.
hahahaha
says the ignorant camel shagger, woo hoo.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:26:35 PM

I'm dying to find out.

Sounds nice... for about 10 minutes but if you have to have that for eternity, you are going to get sick of it very fast. That what makes live interesting is change and variation. To live in a place where everything is always the same and never changes would be like living in hell and a golden cage set with rubies and saphires is still a cage.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:41:26 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:26:35 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

Sounds nice... for about 10 minutes but if you have to have that for eternity, you are going to get sick of it very fast. That what makes live interesting is change and variation. To live in a place where everything is always the same and never changes would be like living in hell and a golden cage set with rubies and saphires is still a cage.

how come one would get sick of it very fast? yet the smallest heaven is as wide as 10 x the world.
it was recorded someone will eat banana only for 40 years (40.000 earthly years). The angel will approach him and tell him that he only eats banana for 40 years while there are many left sort of foods available in paradise.
the inhabitants will surprise on every single kind of enjoyment in paradise.

in the other record, someone will have sex with his spouse for a couple of years without realizing how long he already do it due to its great pleasure.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:47:41 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:24:57 PM, bulproof wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

hahahaha

'Verily, if you knew what I know you would laugh less and weep more."
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:48:48 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:23:35 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/18/2016 12:03:22 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
And your point is?

I thought it obvious - Such a person lives an eternity, or so the argument would go.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:50:30 PM

I'm dying to find out.

hahahaha

You don't need to be like this, you can be so much better.
Meh!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 12:54:23 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:50:30 PM, Axonly wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

hahahaha

You don't need to be like this, you can be so much better.
And why do you think I should bother?
Fantasies are fantasies and anyone who believes them needs to be sorted, it never makes any difference to them but it's always fun anyway.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 1:07:55 PM
At 11/18/2016 12:41:26 PM, uncung wrote:
At 11/18/2016 12:26:35 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

how come one would get sick of it very fast? yet the smallest heaven is as wide as 10 x the world.

One would get sick of it very fast because even billions of years would be but a second compared to infinity.

it was recorded someone will eat banana only for 40 years (40.000 earthly years). The angel will approach him and tell him that he only eats banana for 40 years while there are many left sort of foods available in paradise.
the inhabitants will surprise on every single kind of enjoyment in paradise.

Same problem, you can stretch time for as long as you like and it would still be but a second compared to infinity and if you have something long enough and often enough, it will become commonplace and eventually a bore.

in the other record, someone will have sex with his spouse for a couple of years without realizing how long he already do it due to its great pleasure.

Well i wouldnt mind trying out some of them servant boys but i got a feeling that that sort of thing would be frowned upon. Besides, lust is supposed to be a sin so i reckon there wont be much sexual intercourse in heaven.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 1:16:24 PM

Create something new. So yeah, you don't want eternal life unless you have it with the infinite God. Non-finite. Un-limited. Forever new, forever young.

It's a whole different sort of mathematics. And one can quickly see that we'll have to get over our finite self if we want to participate.
This space for rent.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 1:24:50 PM
At 11/18/2016 1:16:24 PM, v3nesl wrote:

Create something new. So yeah, you don't want eternal life unless you have it with the infinite God. Non-finite. Un-limited. Forever new, forever young.

It's a whole different sort of mathematics. And one can quickly see that we'll have to get over our finite self if we want to participate.
And it's your eternal soap and your eternal dick and you can wash it as fast and as often as you eternally like.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 3:31:47 PM
At 11/18/2016 8:37:24 AM, Willows wrote:
At 11/18/2016 12:13:46 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Let me know what you are on, so I can avoid it.

You will definitely want to avoid my book club. It's a club of insanity, whose somber memberships are monsters masquerading with the literacy of angels of light.