Total Posts:112|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God/Bible vs. Religion

Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Skeptical1
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:36:17 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, belief in God (any God), is religion.

Your use of the vernacular term "religiously" (as in "I read comic books religiously") doesn't prove anything. Everyone knows what is meant when the phrase is applied in that way.

Typically, Christians try to divorce their beliefs from the term "religion" to avoid criticism of the benighted history of religion, or to convince non-believers that their failure to practice what they preach isn't really significant.
Stronn
Posts: 318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:23:58 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?


Scripture is not religious? Sorry, you can't sell that.

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

Blatant equivocation. Different definitions of the word "religious" apply to comic book collecting and God.


For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

A biography becomes a religious book when people claim it was authored by the creator of the universe.

Not that the Bible can even be accurately described as just a biography.

Your argument is very odd. It's basically that a word doesn't really mean the meaning we give it, when a word's meaning is the meaning we give it.
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:53:31 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?
Without the bible you have no god but the bible is just mostly folktales of ancient men.
Don't go putting any store in what the bible says.
Willows
Posts: 2,076
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:26:56 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Interesting concept but I am a bit unsure as to what you would qualify as religion.
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:30:30 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets?
Nah it's just a collection of ancient palestinian folk tales.
Nanubot
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 4:43:30 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
I'm a Christian and all that good stuff, but gotta disagree there. While the Bible itself is not a religion, accepting the Bible is. If you're Christian or Catholic, boom, you've got yourself a religion.
Yo, Yo, Yo, its the Conan Show
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 5:51:14 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:36:17 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, belief in God (any God), is religion.

Your use of the vernacular term "religiously" (as in "I read comic books religiously") doesn't prove anything. Everyone knows what is meant when the phrase is applied in that way.

Typically, Christians try to divorce their beliefs from the term "religion" to avoid criticism of the benighted history of religion, or to convince non-believers that their failure to practice what they preach isn't really significant.

"Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

So belief in AND worship of any god is religion, even in a google definition. The difference between "or" and "and" was taught to me at an early age and easy to grasp, but I too find myself overlooking it with prejudice in the face of uneducated association at times. We pick things up in conversation through deductive reasoning, and make an assumption that seems likely but turns out to be mistaken. Its not hard to associate religion with God if you were not taught the meaning of religion to begin with, but religion is not God, and God does not imply religious context.

Religion is the practice in respect to God or whatever is being held so high as to have a religion. Religion is always a practice, and discussion must hold relevance to practical application in mind to be considered religious as well as referencing to a deity. I can't blame anyone for not possessing that knowledge, but however shocking that may be, that is the way it is. It is not an interesting idea, but a definitive fact, proven by logic in reading the definition. If you don't know the definition of religion, simply reread it with open mind and logical application and there is no issue.

If religion is centered around our way of life in respect to a higher being, then why do we consider things that don't affect our lives to be aspects of religion? We don't, we've just mistakenly strayed from what religion is, and it is a practice in respect to a deity. If anything else is going on, then something else is going on there, something that isn't religious in nature, and we now have reason to check ourselves as a mistake has been made and may have lead to other wrongs as well. The reason we study religious context, what religious context implies, is ultimately an application to our way or living.
.
.
.
.
.
Here is a recycled example from an nonreligious thread with someone who was asking about God's influence on evolution, something that does not pertain to the way anyone should live their life and interact with others. It seems obvious that if evolution occurred, whether by God or not, we are living here and now and questions of God's alleged methods do not pertain to how we should live, and this particular curiosity then belongs in the context of science or philosophy if anything.

-What part of the word "God", as written in the OP, is not about religion?

Reply: I couldn't care less about your question as the answer, whatever it may be affects nothing.

The mere mention of God does not imply religious context, and neither do projections for allegedly creating life and evolving it over long periods of time. This entire string is devoid of religious context. Religion is surrounded around how we should conduct ourselves and live a life of 'good' principal, and thereafter as well for some, or respect of God through practice, something that is unaffected by evolution, and not implied because you said the word God. Religion does not merely imply believing in God, something that won't arise from theory and projection anyway. You can believe in God or whatever the religion states and deny religion. It requires practicing your belief.

Webster Dictionary - Christian Context

1. Religion in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man's obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man's accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. It therefore comprehends theology, as a system of doctrines or principles, as well as practical piety; for the practice of moral duties without a belief in a divine lawgiver, and without reference to his will or commands, is not religion

Webster Dictionary - Biblical Context

2. religion as distinct from theology, is godliness or real piety in practice, consisting in the performance of all known duties to God and our fellow men, in obedience to divine command, or from love to God and his law. James 1:26.

Websters Dictionary - Context of Practice

3. religion as distinct from virtue, or morality, consists in the performance of the duties we owe directly to God, from a principle of obedience to his will. Hence we often speak of religion and virtue, as different branches of one system, or the duties of the first and second tables of the law.

Let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion

Websters Dictionary - Alternate Context

4. Any system of faith and worship. In this sense, religion comprehends the belief and worship of pagans and Mohammedans, as well as of christians; any religion consisting in the belief of a superior power or powers governing the world, and in the worship of such power or powers. Thus we speak of the religion of the Turks, of the Hindoos, of the Indians, etc. as well as of the christian religion. We speak of false religion as well as of true religion
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 6:50:14 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 5:51:14 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:36:17 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, belief in God (any God), is religion.

Your use of the vernacular term "religiously" (as in "I read comic books religiously") doesn't prove anything. Everyone knows what is meant when the phrase is applied in that way.

Typically, Christians try to divorce their beliefs from the term "religion" to avoid criticism of the benighted history of religion, or to convince non-believers that their failure to practice what they preach isn't really significant.

"Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

So belief in AND worship of any god is religion, even in a google definition. The difference between "or" and "and" was taught to me at an early age and easy to grasp, but I too find myself overlooking it with prejudice in the face of uneducated association at times. We pick things up in conversation through deductive reasoning, and make an assumption that seems likely but turns out to be mistaken. Its not hard to associate religion with God if you were not taught the meaning of religion to begin with, but religion is not God, and God does not imply religious context.

It appears I've rushed through something and feel a need to correct it.

I'd like to add that I just blurted out deductive reasoning. I am not qualified at this time to assume the mechanics we use to absorb language, and I made an assumption based on a few examples in my life but 'm sure its not encompassing, or particularly precise, as inductive reasoning is widely exercised in initial associations, possibly thereafter as well. The reason I chose the term I did, was that I recall instances of refining definitions I'd never directly referenced by picking up what they are not, and thus shrinking the definition closer to its actuality. This is not justification for implying other's think this way, or that it is the sole mechanic behind intuitive language learning.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Skeptical1
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 7:50:46 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 5:51:14 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:36:17 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, belief in God (any God), is religion.


<my stuff removed to make room>


"Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

So belief in AND worship of any god is religion, even in a google definition. The difference between "or" and "and" was taught to me at an early age and easy to grasp, but I too find myself overlooking it with prejudice in the face of uneducated association at times. We pick things up in conversation through deductive reasoning, and make an assumption that seems likely but turns out to be mistaken. Its not hard to associate religion with God if you were not taught the meaning of religion to begin with, but religion is not God, and God does not imply religious context.

Religion is the practice in respect to God or whatever is being held so high as to have a religion. Religion is always a practice, and discussion must hold relevance to practical application in mind to be considered religious as well as referencing to a deity. I can't blame anyone for not possessing that knowledge, but however shocking that may be, that is the way it is. It is not an interesting idea, but a definitive fact, proven by logic in reading the definition. If you don't know the definition of religion, simply reread it with open mind and logical application and there is no issue.

If religion is centered around our way of life in respect to a higher being, then why do we consider things that don't affect our lives to be aspects of religion? We don't, we've just mistakenly strayed from what religion is, and it is a practice in respect to a deity. If anything else is going on, then something else is going on there, something that isn't religious in nature, and we now have reason to check ourselves as a mistake has been made and may have lead to other wrongs as well. The reason we study religious context, what religious context implies, is ultimately an application to our way or living.
.
Here is a recycled example from an nonreligious thread with someone who was asking about God's influence on evolution, something that does not pertain to the way anyone should live their life and interact with others. It seems obvious that if evolution occurred, whether by God or not, we are living here and now and questions of God's alleged methods do not pertain to how we should live, and this particular curiosity then belongs in the context of science or philosophy if anything.

-What part of the word "God", as written in the OP, is not about religion?

Reply: I couldn't care less about your question as the answer, whatever it may be affects nothing.

The mere mention of God does not imply religious context, and neither do projections for allegedly creating life and evolving it over long periods of time. This entire string is devoid of religious context. Religion is surrounded around how we should conduct ourselves and live a life of 'good' principal, and thereafter as well for some, or respect of God through practice, something that is unaffected by evolution, and not implied because you said the word God. Religion does not merely imply believing in God, something that won't arise from theory and projection anyway. You can believe in God or whatever the religion states and deny religion. It requires practicing your belief.

Webster Dictionary - Christian Context

1. Religion in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man's obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man's accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. It therefore comprehends theology, as a system of doctrines or principles, as well as practical piety; for the practice of moral duties without a belief in a divine lawgiver, and without reference to his will or commands, is not religion

Webster Dictionary - Biblical Context

2. religion as distinct from theology, is godliness or real piety in practice, consisting in the performance of all known duties to God and our fellow men, in obedience to divine command, or from love to God and his law. James 1:26.

Websters Dictionary - Context of Practice

3. religion as distinct from virtue, or morality, consists in the performance of the duties we owe directly to God, from a principle of obedience to his will. Hence we often speak of religion and virtue, as different branches of one system, or the duties of the first and second tables of the law.

Let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion

Websters Dictionary - Alternate Context

4. Any system of faith and worship. In this sense, religion comprehends the belief and worship of pagans and Mohammedans, as well as of christians; any religion consisting in the belief of a superior power or powers governing the world, and in the worship of such power or powers. Thus we speak of the religion of the Turks, of the Hindoos, of the Indians, etc. as well as of the christian religion. We speak of false religion as well as of true religion

Thanks for the English lesson. Here's one for you - this is what's known as a tautology:

"Religion is the practice in respect to God or whatever is being held so high as to have a religion."

Additionally, it seems you know the difference between "and" and "or", but they didn't teach you the difference between "of" and "or".
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:03:41 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:36:17 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, belief in God (any God), is religion.


Like worshipping the Pharaohs of old as god, correct?
Another words, the Hebrews did not worship Pharaoh, but they believed in him, especially when they felt the whip of his Taskmasters. So you're saying the Hebrew slaves were religious and their god was Pharaoh just because they believed in him? Oh yeah, and they did worship him since they were "his" servants, like we are called to be servants of Christ!

Your use of the vernacular term "religiously" (as in "I read comic books religiously") doesn't prove anything. Everyone knows what is meant when the phrase is applied in that way.


You know well that anything, or anyone can become your god, even though I did not collect and read comic books because I thought they were gods, yet I was religious in my actions. I can walk an hour every morning religiously, this makes me religious, yet no God/gods are involved, debunking your world-view definitions.

Typically, Christians try to divorce their beliefs from the term "religion" to avoid criticism of the benighted history of religion, or to convince non-believers that their failure to practice what they preach isn't really significant. :

There is religion created god/gods like a carved piece of wood, and religious worship of those god/gods by man-made doctrines. This does not make the wood God, OR religious in nature. Same with our Creator mentioned in the Bible.

This is exactly why I started this Post, .. to shed a light on the difference between God/gods created by religion - like Constantine did - taking the Bible and splitting up God from Himself, his Power which is always referred to as the Holy Spirit, .. into father-god and spirit-god, and then making Jesus his Empires sun-god. 3 gods in one that makes the idea of god, and that's Religion.

You guys see now, .. Constantine made the Bible into a religious book, and God and His Son Word as religious objects of worship. I have known Catholics back in the Old Country who never read the Bible, yet had a huge 20lb. Bible on an alter with a picture of a blond, blue-eyed Germanic looking fella in the background, with candles and the works, a shrine! So for her, the Bible was a religious book.

But just like the wood that people carve idols out of, that does NOT make all wood now religious artifacts, or gods.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 8:06:05 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Skeptical1 wrote:
Quadrunner wrote:
Skeptical1 wrote:
Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, belief in God (any God), is religion.


<my stuff removed to make room>


"Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

So belief in AND worship of any god is religion, even in a google definition. The difference between "or" and "and" was taught to me at an early age and easy to grasp, but I too find myself overlooking it with prejudice in the face of uneducated association at times. We pick things up in conversation through deductive reasoning, and make an assumption that seems likely but turns out to be mistaken. Its not hard to associate religion with God if you were not taught the meaning of religion to begin with, but religion is not God, and God does not imply religious context.

Religion is the practice in respect to God or whatever is being held so high as to have a religion. Religion is always a practice, and discussion must hold relevance to practical application in mind to be considered religious as well as referencing to a deity. I can't blame anyone for not possessing that knowledge, but however shocking that may be, that is the way it is. It is not an interesting idea, but a definitive fact, proven by logic in reading the definition. If you don't know the definition of religion, simply reread it with open mind and logical application and there is no issue.

If religion is centered around our way of life in respect to a higher being, then why do we consider things that don't affect our lives to be aspects of religion? We don't, we've just mistakenly strayed from what religion is, and it is a practice in respect to a deity. If anything else is going on, then something else is going on there, something that isn't religious in nature, and we now have reason to check ourselves as a mistake has been made and may have lead to other wrongs as well. The reason we study religious context, what religious context implies, is ultimately an application to our way or living.
.
Here is a recycled example from an nonreligious thread with someone who was asking about God's influence on evolution, something that does not pertain to the way anyone should live their life and interact with others. It seems obvious that if evolution occurred, whether by God or not, we are living here and now and questions of God's alleged methods do not pertain to how we should live, and this particular curiosity then belongs in the context of science or philosophy if anything.

-What part of the word "God", as written in the OP, is not about religion?

Reply: I couldn't care less about your question as the answer, whatever it may be affects nothing.

The mere mention of God does not imply religious context, and neither do projections for allegedly creating life and evolving it over long periods of time. This entire string is devoid of religious context. Religion is surrounded around how we should conduct ourselves and live a life of 'good' principal, and thereafter as well for some, or respect of God through practice, something that is unaffected by evolution, and not implied because you said the word God. Religion does not merely imply believing in God, something that won't arise from theory and projection anyway. You can believe in God or whatever the religion states and deny religion. It requires practicing your belief.

Webster Dictionary - Christian Context

1. Religion in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man's obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man's accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. It therefore comprehends theology, as a system of doctrines or principles, as well as practical piety; for the practice of moral duties without a belief in a divine lawgiver, and without reference to his will or commands, is not religion

Webster Dictionary - Biblical Context

2. religion as distinct from theology, is godliness or real piety in practice, consisting in the performance of all known duties to God and our fellow men, in obedience to divine command, or from love to God and his law. James 1:26.

Let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion

Websters Dictionary - Alternate Context

4. Any system of faith and worship. In this sense, religion comprehends the belief and worship of pagans and Mohammedans, as well as of christians; any religion consisting in the belief of a superior power or powers governing the world, and in the worship of such power or powers. Thus we speak of the religion of the Turks, of the Hindoos, of the Indians, etc. as well as of the christian religion. We speak of false religion as well as of true religion

Thanks for the English lesson. Here's one for you - this is what's known as a tautology:

"Religion is the practice in respect to God or whatever is being held so high as to have a religion."

Additionally, it seems you know the difference between "and" and "or", but they didn't teach you the difference between "of" and "or".

I believe "or" was appropriate there. Not all religions have God, and God is not necessary so "or" was the appropriate word. I should not have come across as condescending, but I have concerns of it, and apologize if you perceive any such tone. It should be noted that "r" and "f" are right next to each other, and mixing them up is always a very real possibility, something that should generally be questioned if something seems astray before jumping to conclusions. This is getting off the topic of the thread.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:03:14 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 8:23:58 AM, Stronn wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?


Scripture is not religious? Sorry, you can't sell that.


Well, unless you worship it as a religious item, .. like I did my comic-books. Thor and superman (both religious characters where some definitions of "religion" even mentions "super-human" characters.)

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

Blatant equivocation. Different definitions of the word "religious" apply to comic book collecting and God.


Prove it, that's what this post is about. Show me how comic books and the characters in it are not religious in nature, especially how I used to unintentionally worship both.


For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

A biography becomes a religious book when people claim it was authored by the creator of the universe.


How? Is Henry Ford's Biography (creator of the Ford automobiles) a religious book? There are thousands of books on fictional "creators of the universe", .. are they also considered religious books?

Not that the Bible can even be accurately described as just a biography.


So just a religious book then, right? Oh yeah, and many here claim "God doesn't even exist", do we have to go by that too?

Biography
noun
an account of someone's life written by someone else.
synonyms: life story, life history, life,


God is, .. http://www.everystudent.com...

Your argument is very odd. It's basically that a word doesn't really mean the meaning we give it, when a word's meaning is the meaning we give it. :

Exactly, .. but it doesn't have to be true, like the gods in religion, right? Odin, Horus, Thor and thousands more, .. all "gods".
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:16:51 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 8:53:31 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Without the bible you have no god but the bible is just mostly folktales of ancient men. :

For those that know/understand God only through religion, you are absolutely right! This includes the Christian Religion. God was way, way before the Bible!

Don't go putting any store in what the bible says. :

When I wanted to learn about my car, I bought a car manual. If you want to know about yourself, who you are, where did you come from, why you're here, you buy a Bible, the number one best selling Manual for the past 500 years, what do you mean not trust it?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
graceofgod
Posts: 5,101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:44:16 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 10:26:56 AM, Willows wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Interesting concept but I am a bit unsure as to what you would qualify as religion. :

OK, you know that we have tens of thousands of religions, each with their own concept of god/gods, right?
I am not talking about feeding and clothing the poor and the hungry, giving home to the orphans etc. religiously, but worshiping said god/gods only of that religion, that's what I'm talking about!

Since a religion can make god/gods out of ANYTHING and ANYONE, (Including the book called the Bible and our Creator mentioned in there, including His created Son) I thought to clear up the misconception between our One and Only Infinite Creator God, and the Book called the Bible that happens to reveal a lot of Him, VS. Religions and their gods, .. you know what I mean?

Noticed I said that Religions can make a god out of even our Infinite Creator, .. another words, Religion like what Constantine did was take our Infinite Creator God revealed in both nature and the Bible, and turned Him into just another god, so now all Christians think that our Infinite Creator is "just another god" in "just another religion".

This is why bulproof said that "without the Bible you have no god", .. which is true if God was the Christian Religions, .. or any denomination thereof version.

The Pope reads out of the Bible too, but look who he refers to as god/gods!? There is a real big, like a 30 foot statue of him/it in bronze that he sits front of at the Vatican. So anything and anyone can be considered as God, even a stick, and tell people it wrote the Bible, so better listen up and worship it, .. you know what I mean?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:47:21 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 11:30:30 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets?
Nah it's just a collection of ancient palestinian folk tales. :

LOL, .. no wonder the Jews would never accept His Son. They don't want to worship no Palestinian god, or his son, right?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Skeptical1
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 11:51:34 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...

Gods - all of them, not all of them bar one, are imaginary. A book about an imaginary entity is not a biography, it's a work of fiction. And it's a work of fiction created by those who wish to promote religion.
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:25:15 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 4:43:30 PM, Nanubot wrote:
I'm a Christian and all that good stuff, but gotta disagree there. While the Bible itself is not a religion, accepting the Bible is. If you're Christian or Catholic, boom, you've got yourself a religion. :

OK, how about like this, lets take a very basic Mind, Body and Soul Health Help book, now we wouldn't consider that a religion correct? But if you follow it's instruction religiously, .. our actions and devotions would be considered "religious", .. right?

Now is this "Healthy Body healthy Mind" book considered a "religious book"? Another words here you are at the gym, bent over peddling away quietly as you read this Health-book, do you think someone would also quietly come and stand next to you,.. bow their heads to pray with you?

As for your other comment, .. yes, if I was a Catholic, a Baptist, a Mormon, a JW, a 7th D.A. and any of the 40,000 Christian Religion Versions .. I would belong to a religion, and would interpret our Infinite creator in the Bible according to THAT specific religion, .. that is correct. And because the Only strength and credibility in any Christian Religion is the Bible, they make that their religious book.

Like Skeptical1 put it, if I understood him correctly: "Typically, Christians try to divorce their beliefs from the term "religion" to avoid criticism of the benighted history of religion, or to convince non-believers that their failure to practice what they preach isn't really significant."

I agree, this is why they wave (study, get a degree in Bible worship etc.) the Bible to distract unbelievers from their religious actions, to justify their religion as holy. "See, we have the Bible, are you going against the Bible?" .. so true, .. this is what I wanted to point out.

Constantine took the Bible, along with his RCC he reinterpreted God, His Son Word, and nullified Jesus teaching with their doctrines to where Infinite Creator God is just another god in just another religion, and the rest of the denominations followed suit.

And if I didn't adhere to that religions doctrines over what the Bible says, I would be excommunicated, or at least shunned where I would no longer feel welcomed.

This is what I am talking about, .. that should we allow "Religion" to turn our Infinite and Eternal Creator "I Am" into "just another god/gods in religion"?
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
Evidence
Posts: 853
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 12:40:05 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion... :

Thank you graceofgod, but really, is there such a thing as "un-organized Religion"?

* Do you see God our Infinite and Eternal Creator as a religious construct?
* Do you feel that the Bible created our Infinite Creator as bulproof said? Another words, do you think God would not exist in the mind of men if we didn't have the Bible?
* Do you think Jesus is a god, .. like a Deity who resides in the supernatural realm?
* Do you think God, our Infinite Creator is a Deity who resides in the supernatural realm?

Answering these will reveal if you believe that God and the Bible are = to Religion, or not?

God bless you my friend.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:27:40 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 11:16:51 PM, Evidence wrote:
At 11/20/2016 8:53:31 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

Without the bible you have no god but the bible is just mostly folktales of ancient men. :

For those that know/understand God only through religion, you are absolutely right! This includes the Christian Religion. God was way, way before the Bible!

Don't go putting any store in what the bible says. :

When I wanted to learn about my car, I bought a car manual. If you want to know about yourself, who you are, where did you come from, why you're here, you buy a Bible, the number one best selling Manual for the past 500 years, what do you mean not trust it?
It's full of lies, why would anyone trust a book of lies?
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:30:21 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 11:16:51 PM, Evidence wrote:
God was way, way before the Bible!
Prove it.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:01:24 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 12:40:05 AM, Evidence wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion... :

Thank you graceofgod, but really, is there such a thing as "un-organized Religion"?

* Do you see God our Infinite and Eternal Creator as a religious construct?
* Do you feel that the Bible created our Infinite Creator as bulproof said? Another words, do you think God would not exist in the mind of men if we didn't have the Bible?
* Do you think Jesus is a god, .. like a Deity who resides in the supernatural realm?
* Do you think God, our Infinite Creator is a Deity who resides in the supernatural realm?

Answering these will reveal if you believe that God and the Bible are = to Religion, or not?

God bless you my friend.

God bless you to...

I have always debated and I still am on a different thread, Only Jesus can save you, not baptism, church attendance or good deeds, the religious still think they can save themselves...
graceofgod
Posts: 5,101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:09:33 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/20/2016 11:51:34 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...

Gods - all of them, not all of them bar one, are imaginary. A book about an imaginary entity is not a biography, it's a work of fiction. And it's a work of fiction created by those who wish to promote religion.

in your opinion of course....
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:15:29 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 9:01:24 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/21/2016 12:40:05 AM, Evidence wrote:
God bless you my friend.

God bless you to...
Does this god thing do what you dudes tell him to do? Or does he say screw you I'll bless whoever I bloody like, I think I'll warm up a spot for you two arrogant fuks.
Don't tell me what to fukin' do.
Skeptical1
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:17:48 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 9:09:33 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:51:34 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...

Gods - all of them, not all of them bar one, are imaginary. A book about an imaginary entity is not a biography, it's a work of fiction. And it's a work of fiction created by those who wish to promote religion.

in your opinion of course....

Well, of course. And unfortunately, I don't get to claim divine authority for my opinions - just common sense.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:20:06 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 9:17:48 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/21/2016 9:09:33 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:51:34 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...

Gods - all of them, not all of them bar one, are imaginary. A book about an imaginary entity is not a biography, it's a work of fiction. And it's a work of fiction created by those who wish to promote religion.

in your opinion of course....

Well, of course. And unfortunately, I don't get to claim divine authority for my opinions - just common sense.

your own version of common sense, you are welcome to try and prove God does not exist...
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:22:04 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 9:20:06 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/21/2016 9:17:48 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/21/2016 9:09:33 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:51:34 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...

Gods - all of them, not all of them bar one, are imaginary. A book about an imaginary entity is not a biography, it's a work of fiction. And it's a work of fiction created by those who wish to promote religion.

in your opinion of course....

Well, of course. And unfortunately, I don't get to claim divine authority for my opinions - just common sense.

your own version of common sense, you are welcome to try and prove God does not exist...
Says the clown who admits that he can't prove god exists. bahahahaha
Skeptical1
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:27:19 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 9:20:06 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/21/2016 9:17:48 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/21/2016 9:09:33 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:51:34 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 11/20/2016 11:18:26 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 11/20/2016 7:05:02 AM, Evidence wrote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Where is religion in the above verses? Or what does religion have to do with either God who is revealed here as the Creator of heaven and the earth, or the Bible!?

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man"s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Acts 26:5 which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews" religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:


I can get up and walk for an hour every morning at 6 AM religiously and not believe in God, or have ever read the Bible. So religion does not = God.

"God created the heaven and the earth" is not a religious statement.

In my young days I read, and collected comic books religiously, no one has ever said Comic Books were religious items.

For the OP:

Why is the Bible, or our One and Only Infinite and Eternal Creator God "I Am" revealed in the Bible considered religious?

Is not the Bible Gods Biography written by His Prophets? Since when is a Biography a religious book?

great question, i have asked this to many people, it gets even more funny when they start talking about organised religion...

Gods - all of them, not all of them bar one, are imaginary. A book about an imaginary entity is not a biography, it's a work of fiction. And it's a work of fiction created by those who wish to promote religion.

in your opinion of course....

Well, of course. And unfortunately, I don't get to claim divine authority for my opinions - just common sense.

your own version of common sense, you are welcome to try and prove God does not exist...

When you prove the teapot in my avatar doesn't exist, I'll prove your God doesn't exist.

I actually do believe there is pretty much conclusive proof (at least for the God of Christianity), and that is, such a being is self-contradictory. Every single thing it is claimed it stands for is denied by its own supposed record. But I don't have the inclination at the moment to argue around the endless hoops through which a Christian would make us both jump to try and justify their untenable position.
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:31:09 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/21/2016 12:40:05 AM, Evidence wrote:
* Do you see God our Infinite and Eternal Creator as a religious construct?
Your god was most likely created by the Canaanites as a member of their pantheon. But your god was a real latecomer, cavemen invented other gods tens of thousands of years earlier.
* Do you feel that the Bible created our Infinite Creator as bulproof said? Another words, do you think God would not exist in the mind of men if we didn't have the Bible?
Without the bible there would be no bible god, You lot would still have something to worship and fear, it's in your nature just like your caveman ancestors.
* Do you think Jesus is a god, .. like a Deity who resides in the supernatural realm?
The character in the bible is 99% fiction, so probably a god, as that's what they are.
* Do you think God, our Infinite Creator is a Deity who resides in the supernatural realm?
There is no such place as the supernatural realm, but I'm willing to be proven wrong, wanna give it a go?