Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Agnosticism vs Atheism

ColeTrain
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
Can someone explain the difference?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Skeptical1
Posts: 656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:42:31 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

There are all sorts of nuances and interpretations out there. For me, an agnostic is someone who says they either don't know or can't know whether a God exists. An atheist is someone who actively believes God does not exist
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:47:53 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Agnosticism addresses knowledge (or lack of it), and atheism addresses belief (or lack of it).

It is possible to be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it. Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 7:27:09 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it.

That is incorrect. Disbelief in God or gods is something that describes ALL atheists. A subset of atheists believe there is absolutely no God (strong atheists). Either way, atheism does not preclude belief in the supernatural.

Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Again, agnosticism is not a position on the supernatural, but a position pertaining to knowledge of God or gods.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 4:53:37 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 7:27:09 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it.

That is incorrect. Disbelief in God or gods is something that describes ALL atheists. A subset of atheists believe there is absolutely no God (strong atheists). Either way, atheism does not preclude belief in the supernatural.

Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Again, agnosticism is not a position on the supernatural, but a position pertaining to knowledge of God or gods.

I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own definitions.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 5:06:25 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheists believe a god does not exist. Agnostics do not believe a god exists. Theists believe a god exists.

The thing I like to say is that if you draw a bar between 0 and 100% of the chances you feel, not think, God exists, 0 is atheist, 100 is theistic. Agnostic is the Whole in between. The reason I emphasize not thinking is because trying to justify yourself as an Atheist or a Theist for whatever motive you have because you want to believe is not believing.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
PureX
Posts: 1,522
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 5:09:19 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I have been told, by some cosmologists, that invisible matter called "dark matter", exists. But I have never seen any of it. And neither have they. They deduce it's existence from observable gravitational phenomena.

Theist: I assume that they are right because they are scientists, and that "dark matter" exists.

Atheist: I will assume the scientists are wrong and that "dark matter" does not exist, until and unless they can prove to my satisfaction that it does.

Agnostic: Not being a scientist, I have no way of knowing if the scientists are right, or not.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 6:00:40 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism means "not theism."

This entails several positions:

(1) Agnosticism (meaning neither belief nor disbelief in God)
(2) ignorance
(3) non-cognitivism
(4) Disbelief in God

Agnosticism typically refers to neither belief nor disbelief in God, but it also refers to knowledge. It typically refers to the former rather than the latter, despite what atheists will try to tell you.

Basically the term "Atheism" has been hijacked by the new atheist movement where they try to hide behind "Lack of belief" because they don't have enough justification for disbelief but they really disbelieve.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 7:07:52 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:53:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 7:27:09 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it.

That is incorrect. Disbelief in God or gods is something that describes ALL atheists. A subset of atheists believe there is absolutely no God (strong atheists). Either way, atheism does not preclude belief in the supernatural.

Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Again, agnosticism is not a position on the supernatural, but a position pertaining to knowledge of God or gods.

I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own definitions.

Your simply wrong. An atheist is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. I'm an example of an atheist who lacks belief in gods due to the absence of evidence supporting their existence rather than claiming to know with certainty no gods exist.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 7:11:49 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

An atheist is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

An agnostic is a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God/gods.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:19:55 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it. Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Then... i am confused bc i am Agnostic Atheist - Spiritual. I do believe in the supernatural, just not entirely. I have percentages (Agnostic side) of believing or not believing in; near certainty "90%" sure that none of the god(s) explained by one religion is exclusively right to all; "dash spiritual" that i have found anecdotal and life experience to make me suspect (80% give or take) sure that i am immortal incorporeal consciousness manifested into this reality for an experience.

That dash spiritual is a bit supernatural... and it is an atheistic belief. For, i am immortal and mortal just like you, and everyone else. There is no god(s), other than what our consciousness' can do if not bound by matter, time, or this space.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:52:39 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 7:07:52 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:53:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 7:27:09 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it.

That is incorrect. Disbelief in God or gods is something that describes ALL atheists. A subset of atheists believe there is absolutely no God (strong atheists). Either way, atheism does not preclude belief in the supernatural.

Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Again, agnosticism is not a position on the supernatural, but a position pertaining to knowledge of God or gods.

I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own definitions.

Your simply wrong. An atheist is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. I'm an example of an atheist who lacks belief in gods due to the absence of evidence supporting their existence rather than claiming to know with certainty no gods exist.

The "supernatural" includes gods. I am not "simply wrong". If you look up definitions, such as those on Wikipedia, it says " supernatural ".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:54:45 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 8:19:55 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it. Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Then... i am confused bc i am Agnostic Atheist - Spiritual. I do believe in the supernatural, just not entirely. I have percentages (Agnostic side) of believing or not believing in; near certainty "90%" sure that none of the god(s) explained by one religion is exclusively right to all; "dash spiritual" that i have found anecdotal and life experience to make me suspect (80% give or take) sure that i am immortal incorporeal consciousness manifested into this reality for an experience.

That dash spiritual is a bit supernatural... and it is an atheistic belief. For, i am immortal and mortal just like you, and everyone else. There is no god(s), other than what our consciousness' can do if not bound by matter, time, or this space.

An agnostic atheist is someone who believes a god doesn't exist, but isn't too sure about it. An agnostic theist is someone who believes in a god, but isn't too sure about it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Outplayz
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:00:42 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 8:54:45 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 8:19:55 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it. Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Then... i am confused bc i am Agnostic Atheist - Spiritual. I do believe in the supernatural, just not entirely. I have percentages (Agnostic side) of believing or not believing in; near certainty "90%" sure that none of the god(s) explained by one religion is exclusively right to all; "dash spiritual" that i have found anecdotal and life experience to make me suspect (80% give or take) sure that i am immortal incorporeal consciousness manifested into this reality for an experience.

That dash spiritual is a bit supernatural... and it is an atheistic belief. For, i am immortal and mortal just like you, and everyone else. There is no god(s), other than what our consciousness' can do if not bound by matter, time, or this space.

An agnostic atheist is someone who believes a god doesn't exist, but isn't too sure about it. An agnostic theist is someone who believes in a god, but isn't too sure about it.

If that is how you define it. My definition works too, however. Agnostic: Possible of higher intelligence(s) that are sole creators - i just don't know. Atheist: Religious god or gods i am near certain / confident in my answer that they don't exist as "exclusive" gods to everyone. Spiritual: I believe a platform exists beyond this platform universe.
KwLm
Posts: 476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 10:08:26 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Simple:

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.

Every agnostic is atheist,they just refuse to admit it, when it comes to a god, either there is or there isn't, being in the middle is simply illogical.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 10:35:18 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 10:08:26 PM, KwLm wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Simple:

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.

Every agnostic is atheist,they just refuse to admit it, when it comes to a god, either there is or there isn't, being in the middle is simply illogical.

Or maybe an agnostic is someone who has not made up their minds. Whereas obviously the atheist dislacksbeliefs, because they're just that smart.
Skeptical1
Posts: 656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:40:47 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/21/2016 8:52:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 7:07:52 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:53:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 7:27:09 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:59:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/21/2016 4:38:02 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
Can someone explain the difference?

Atheism is the outright belief that the supernatural does not exist, no questions about it.

That is incorrect. Disbelief in God or gods is something that describes ALL atheists. A subset of atheists believe there is absolutely no God (strong atheists). Either way, atheism does not preclude belief in the supernatural.

Agnosticism is the stance that you don't know whether the supernatural exists or not, or it's not even knowable.

Again, agnosticism is not a position on the supernatural, but a position pertaining to knowledge of God or gods.

I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own definitions.

Your simply wrong. An atheist is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. I'm an example of an atheist who lacks belief in gods due to the absence of evidence supporting their existence rather than claiming to know with certainty no gods exist.

The "supernatural" includes gods. I am not "simply wrong". If you look up definitions, such as those on Wikipedia, it says " supernatural ".

It is possible (although in my opinion quite silly) to believe in ghosts, spirits, werewolves, vampires, zombies, etc without believing in God. These could all be described as supernatural beings. A - theist means "no God", it doesn't refer to anything else.