Jump to topic:

is it effective?

lightseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:15:52 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
so many articles and so many hours spent on these topics.
I was just wondering is it really effective?
I mean most of the people who're lurking in this forum have already decided on the religion they're going to follow and no matter how much logical explanation against them is provided, it's not like they're actually going to change their decision.

and then there are some atheists who don't really understand the meaning of the word logic and are simply trying to divert attention from good posts. (of course not all atheists here fall in this category)

so, is it really effective? has being here caused you to actually do some research or made you doubt your beliefs ?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:41:16 PM
At 11/21/2016 8:15:52 PM, lightseeker wrote:
I mean most of the people who're lurking in this forum have already decided on the religion they're going to follow and no matter how much logical explanation against them is provided, it's not like they're actually going to change their decision.

and then there are some atheists who don't really understand the meaning of the word logic and are simply trying to divert attention from good posts. (of course not all atheists here fall in this category)

so, is it really effective? has being here caused you to actually do some research or made you doubt your beliefs ?

It deepens my faith. I have people ask questions. Sometimes these are questions I had yet to ask. It allows me to do research and find new truths that I didn't previously know.

It will also prepare me for when my children (who are engulfed in this horrible society) start asking questions. Due to having reviews this information I will be better able to help them understand.
lightseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:55:03 PM
At 11/21/2016 8:41:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:

It deepens my faith. I have people ask questions. Sometimes these are questions I had yet to ask. It allows me to do research and find new truths that I didn't previously know.

It will also prepare me for when my children (who are engulfed in this horrible society) start asking questions. Due to having reviews this information I will be better able to help them understand

and if you are asked a question for which you can't find any logical answer?
or if you encounter a very logical argument against your religion?
rextr05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 8:59:29 PM

so, is it really effective? has being here caused you to actually do some research or made you doubt your beliefs ?:

Is this an effective means for some folks to gang up on religious folks ..... sure. But it is a place where people as myself can go to strengthen our knowledge & faith in God by refuting what the antagonists of God say on this site. I'll usually have to look up much of what is said on here to make sure I have it right ...... & therefore broadens my knowledge re the lies & exaggerations the religion detractors have to say. So to answer your question of effectiveness .... yes.

But on the other hand re the same question .....When time & my patience for wannabe debaters allows, I'll answer a post here & there. Thing is, when questions re sources & expertise of the material discussed, I have not found any atheists here to have any scholarly acclaimed research to back up their arguments. It seems to be all hearsay & opinion, rather than the former. I get fed up with their unprofessional rhetoric & vitriolic statements. That tactic of theirs causes many people to throw their hands up & quit debating. Either that is their plan, or they just claim victory after their opponent gives up in disgust.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:03:32 PM
At 11/21/2016 8:55:03 PM, lightseeker wrote:
At 11/21/2016 8:41:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:

It will also prepare me for when my children (who are engulfed in this horrible society) start asking questions. Due to having reviews this information I will be better able to help them understand

and if you are asked a question for which you can't find any logical answer?
or if you encounter a very logical argument against your religion?

I've yet to find one. If my religion were shown to be in error then I would have to abandon it. If religion isn't a search for the truth then it is nothing.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:11:05 PM

It just adds to my belief. I research most of the ideas talked about here. I am more of a reader than a poster. It is interesting to research this topic, so... this is one source that i can find a starting point to research a thought / new idea. Plus, it is funny some think they are so right... when i can simply tell them that they are, but not to me. If you want to challenge me on that assertion, feel free to. I respect your belief bc i think you are right in the paradise you fight for, whatever that may be... but, i am also right in mine. We may be in the same paradise or different ones... all true in my belief.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 9:44:34 PM
Discussion and debate should be weighed in terms of stimulation value rather than productivity. It is exceedingly rare that you will change someone's mind in an internet debate setting. You can't be results-oriented. Unless the results you're looking for exist within yourself, and not within your opponents.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:06:18 PM
At 11/21/2016 9:44:34 PM, Casten wrote:
Discussion and debate should be weighed in terms of stimulation value rather than productivity. It is exceedingly rare that you will change someone's mind in an internet debate setting. You can't be results-oriented. Unless the results you're looking for exist within yourself, and not within your opponents.

What a person knew without a doubt that an actual rapture is going to occur in our lifetime, would this person be debating for personal stimulation? or for results? If you find the idea of a rapture to be to sci-fi, it's actually not when one can consider the world as a holographic projection. People would simply vanish from the simulated reality.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:06:58 PM

What if a person knew without a doubt that an actual rapture is going to occur in our lifetime, would this person be debating for personal stimulation? or for results? If you find the idea of a rapture to be to sci-fi, it's actually not when one can consider the world as a holographic projection. People would simply vanish from the simulated reality.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 3:30:33 AM

Out of hundreds of different religions you were born into the right one.
Out of millions of gods you worship the right one.
Out of an infinite amount of possible outcomes after death, your outcome is the right one.

GOOD FOR YOU.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Osmium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 3:38:37 AM

I read a side article on BBC News about how educated people are more stubborn and unmoving in their core beliefs and ideology has nothing to do with it. Meaning education doesn't equal changed religious views. I wish that I could find it again. Many of the people here are very well read, if not formally educated then self educated. Anyway, I don't think it's about converting anyone. I think it's more about justification and validation of their own beliefs. Perhaps some people want to convert others to their way of thinking. Both atheists and theists alike. But I think it's arguing for the sake of arguing for most. Fun stuff you know.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 4:29:55 AM
At 11/21/2016 11:06:58 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

What if a person knew without a doubt that an actual rapture is going to occur in our lifetime, would this person be debating for personal stimulation? or for results? If you find the idea of a rapture to be to sci-fi, it's actually not when one can consider the world as a holographic projection. People would simply vanish from the simulated reality.

I must confess I do like simulation theory.

That person would be debating for results, but again, they'd be abysmal results. They would have better success posting for their own enjoyment.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 1:49:21 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/22/2016 4:29:55 AM, Casten wrote:

That person would be debating for results, but again, they'd be abysmal results. They would have better success posting for their own enjoyment.

It becomes more than just a theory when you know the people in control of the simulation. I don't like these people. But then I'd be not liking myself. Life sucks inside the simulation. But when I leave it I realize once again how harmless it is. Then I want to come back into the simulation. Once I come back into it, immediately I wish to exit it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 2:17:33 PM
At 11/22/2016 1:49:21 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 11/22/2016 4:29:55 AM, Casten wrote:

It becomes more than just a theory when you know the people in control of the simulation. I don't like these people. But then I'd be not liking myself. Life sucks inside the simulation. But when I leave it I realize once again how harmless it is. Then I want to come back into the simulation. Once I come back into it, immediately I wish to exit it.

Out of hundreds of different religions you were born into the right one.
Out of millions of gods you worship the right one.
Out of an infinite amount of possible outcomes after death, your outcome is the right one.

GOOD FOR YOU.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 4:26:09 PM

I think science is a practical application that mimics a very common thought process we all have in confirming belief. One of the aspects of science we share in common is that repeated testing resulting in no logical proof against your hypotheses will eventually lead to theory, and later accepted theory, maybe even so bold as to say a law. When people throw blind accusations from their perspective and don't challenge my view from my perspective, which is generally much deeper then anyone but me could know, reinforcement to some degree is almost an inevitability.

I believe this is human, and therefore nearly universal. For example, someone telling an athiest they are going to hell without proper justification from an atheistic approach, will likely lead an atheist to go yup, another test of my faith and here she stands....Next. Likewise, someone challenging my Christian views merely bounce off without logic in respect to my perspective. I often have to check myself when I feel my views become too fortified, as my faith includes my imperfection.

I'll add that I do not follow religion. I exemplify my religion. Following God, I believe is what you were referring to.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.