Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Question for the religious

Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:30:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So a member of your Church, Mosque, Temple or Satanic knitting circle comes to you distraught saying that they have lost their faith. Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

What would you say to them?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:55:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 1:50:12 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Depends on why they say they lost their faith.

Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

(the exact event is unimportant).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:55:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Generally when this sort of thing happens, and it has happened to me; it turns out to be an incredible opportunity to reevaluate EVERYTHING. There would be pain involved, and there would most likely end up being a different definition, or understanding of one's relationship with their God. It can prove to be a loss of faith, or it can be a great opportunity to provide tremendous change for the better in their faith.

If they came to me for counsel i would explain my personal experience with hopes that it would help.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 5:22:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 1:30:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
So a member of your Church, Mosque, Temple or Satanic knitting circle comes to you distraught saying that they have lost their faith. Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

What would you say to them?

Didn't you already ask this ?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:37:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 5:22:18 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/22/2011 1:30:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
So a member of your Church, Mosque, Temple or Satanic knitting circle comes to you distraught saying that they have lost their faith. Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

What would you say to them?

Didn't you already ask this ?

I will continue to ask this question, with variation, until it is awnsered.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:38:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 3:55:29 AM, innomen wrote:

If they came to me for counsel i would explain my personal experience with hopes that it would help.

I understand that your personal experience is finding God through humility, would you be able to oiffer more details on that?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:41:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 1:55:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/22/2011 1:50:12 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Depends on why they say they lost their faith.

(the exact event is unimportant).

No, actually it isn't. There isn't some stock, catch-all answer. It depends specifically on the person and their circumstances.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:50:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 11:41:16 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/22/2011 1:55:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/22/2011 1:50:12 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Depends on why they say they lost their faith.

(the exact event is unimportant).

No, actually it isn't. There isn't some stock, catch-all answer. It depends specifically on the person and their circumstances.

Read the OP.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:59:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 1:30:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
So a member of your Church, Mosque, Temple or Satanic knitting circle comes to you distraught saying that they have lost their faith. Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

What would you say to them?

Hmm... Well, people have asked me this question before, so this is what I ususally tell them something like this, "It's something you need to really figure out on your own. I could convince you that there is a God and that Jesus was His son, but I can't convince you through arguments. Do your homework, read the Bible, and decide for yourself." And then I would assure them that I'm there for them, and if they have anymore questions then they can just ask me.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:02:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 1:30:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
So a member of your Church, Mosque, Temple or Satanic knitting circle comes to you distraught saying that they have lost their faith. Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

What would you say to them?:

I would ask them why they want their faith back and what shook them to the core. Faith in religion, I've found, is a lot like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. Write that down.

Faith in religion is also a lot like a childhood blankey or stuffed animal. It's something that's always brought emotional comfort, but in the final analysis, it's just childish. At some point you have to let it go before the security blanket that's supposed to protect you, ends up suffocating you to death. Write that down.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:09:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 11:38:55 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/22/2011 3:55:29 AM, innomen wrote:

If they came to me for counsel i would explain my personal experience with hopes that it would help.

I understand that your personal experience is finding God through humility, would you be able to offer more details on that?

I'm kinda with PCP on this. There isn't some generic schpeal that i can pull out of my bag 'o tricks to work on someone like this. When people have had conversations of this nature with me they tend to be a little intimate and specific. Generally speaking though, people who have some of the deepest faith have some of the greatest challenges in holding onto it (see Dark Night of the Soul). I would probably explain that there comes a maturity in one's faith; not for all, but for those who are really looking at living a spiritual life. In that maturation of faith comes periods of doubt and pain. Eventually you move on to a greater level of acceptance and understanding of where you are with God. The "eventually" aspect of this whole thing is the hardest part of all. Patience isn't easy because you don't know how long it will last, or if it will ever get better. You are likely to think this is as good as it will get, forever. Life changes, and you are likely to get desperate, and you are likely to be depressed. Desperation has been a disguised gift in my life, and in every period of spiritual dryness follows spiritual growth. Eventually the depression lifts and life is like new. Probably something along those lines.
SurvivingAMethodology
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 10:48:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 11:59:10 AM, Charles0103 wrote:
Do your homework, read the Bible, and decide for yourself." And then I would assure them that I'm there for them, and if they have anymore questions then they can just ask me.

If someone told me that in that situation, I'd probably no longer want to be a Christian.

At 1/22/2011 12:02:41 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Faith in religion, I've found, is a lot like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. Write that down.

I wrote it down, and it looks excellent on a fridge magnet, but it doesn't jive one bit with my experience. In it's proper vertical alignment, faith has the ability to bring a person to the highest of highs. Conversely, in it's temporal horizontal mode, it has the ability to bring out the absolute worst in them. Faith definitely takes people places, whether you notice it or not.

At 1/22/2011 1:30:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
So a member of your Church, Mosque, Temple or Satanic knitting circle comes to you distraught saying that they have lost their faith. Something occured and from that their entire faith has been eroded. They want to get it back, and apart from that desire for faith they are effectively a blank slate.

What would you say to them?

If the person were coming from my Church specifically, I would be remiss to give any answer which excluded the person and disregarded the specific situation. There is no general answer to this. My religion is a personal religion.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 11:45:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would pray with them first off, then I would tell them to spend time in the word and I would also like to read it along with them. I know they would end up okay.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.