Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:14:11 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
Dictionary.com has just released its word of the year for 2016:

Xenophobia
Dictionary definitions of xenophobia include: "deep-rooted fear towards foreigners" (Oxford English Dictionary; OED), and "fear of the unfamiliar" (Webster's).

Could this condition explain why religious followers are reluctant to let go of their mythological beliefs?
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 3:50:30 PM
At 11/29/2016 9:14:11 AM, Willows wrote:

Xenophobia
Dictionary definitions of xenophobia include: "deep-rooted fear towards foreigners" (Oxford English Dictionary; OED), and "fear of the unfamiliar" (Webster's).

Could this condition explain why religious followers are reluctant to let go of their mythological beliefs?

I think it goes a bit deeper than that. All people have a world-view and though we are all able to adjust aspects of that world-view, once the foundation of that view has established itself firmly enough within a person's psyche, it becomes nearly impossible to alter that foundation without causing a deep inner crisis. It is a bit like dominos, when one foundation falls down, the others could follow aswell and the more that do fall down, the larger the crisis becomes. You are right that people fear the unknown and to challenge a foundation is one giant leap into that unknown, but this is not a fear without cause.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 4:26:20 PM
There is nothing deeper going on here. The Bible predicted people to lose their faith in the futures to come. The Bible predicted the liars to come to convince the masses of their lies. The atheist agenda was created by the liars with whom know the truth, but tell their lies to convince people of things other than the truth. Create now a perception of truth built on lies by controlling the media, and now people begin to believe whatever becomes the conformity of opinions regardless of their truths.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 5:03:34 PM

Xenophobia

My belief is my reality, and who I see myself as. It would hard to let go of what you are.

To you God is an object, a construct, a definition. It would be easy for most people to let go of a random fact. To me, God is a part of me. Imagine being told a family member or friend wasn't real or something along those lines. That is probably similar to how I would feel if you tell me I'm wrong.

If you were referring to the afterlife, I personally have no illusion of going to heaven. Its not known to me so I can't help you there.

Atheism provides a more peaceful construct in living if you can come to terms with dying. If you know nothing will happen, then you would know, regardless of what you are. Within Christianity, there are a variety of theories that could put you in all sorts of situations for all kinds of reasons.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 10:34:17 PM

Xenophobia

I don"t know, it may be that there is nothing unfamiliar to religious followers. :)
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 9:30:12 AM
At 11/29/2016 5:03:34 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Xenophobia

My belief is my reality, and who I see myself as. It would hard to let go of what you are.

To you God is an object, a construct, a definition. It would be easy for most people to let go of a random fact. To me, God is a part of me. Imagine being told a family member or friend wasn't real or something along those lines. That is probably similar to how I would feel if you tell me I'm wrong.

If you were referring to the afterlife, I personally have no illusion of going to heaven. Its not known to me so I can't help you there.

Atheism provides a more peaceful construct in living if you can come to terms with dying. If you know nothing will happen, then you would know, regardless of what you are. Within Christianity, there are a variety of theories that could put you in all sorts of situations for all kinds of reasons.

My contention is that, although your belief is your reality, it is a contrived reality based on no evidence, except for hearsay.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 2:56:45 PM

Xenophobia

Please explaaaaaain?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 8:32:52 AM
At 11/30/2016 2:56:45 PM, bulproof wrote:

Xenophobia

Please explaaaaaain?

Most toddlers give up their security blanket at around three years old.

Some people who presumably had bedwetting problems early in life are reluctant to let go of their security blanket (i.e. religion).