Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

A God Would Question Its Own Existence . . .

SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:58:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A god would question its own existence . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 4:04:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have to post this again for relevance.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 4:15:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 4:05:40 PM, innomen wrote:
It seems to be the plague of little minds to anthropomorphise God.

Actually we get the image from the bible...

Then God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the wild animals and all the creatures that crawl on the ground."
God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them." -Genesis 1
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 4:24:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 4:05:40 PM, innomen wrote:
It seems to be the plague of little minds to anthropomorphise God.

You still a Catholic?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:07:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 3:58:38 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
A god would question its own existence . . .

If God is omniscient then that does not really leave much room for questions now does it?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
rarugged
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:22:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Let's assume there's such thing as God, in all basic definitional realms.

Therefore, by your assumption, God would question His own existence. By definition, God is omniscient and all-knowing. If God questions His own existence, it must be. Therefore, God doesn't exist.

There is no God.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:59:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 12:22:53 AM, rarugged wrote:
Let's assume there's such thing as God, in all basic definitional realms.

Therefore, by your assumption, God would question His own existence. By definition, God is omniscient and all-knowing. If God questions His own existence, it must be. Therefore, God doesn't exist.

There is no God.

There are many valid arguments against God.

That is not one.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:02:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 3:59:54 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/23/2011 12:22:53 AM, rarugged wrote:
Let's assume there's such thing as God, in all basic definitional realms.

Therefore, by your assumption, God would question His own existence. By definition, God is omniscient and all-knowing. If God questions His own existence, it must be. Therefore, God doesn't exist.

There is no God.

There are many valid arguments against God.

That is not one.

I think what he meant is God is omniscient. If God is omniscient, God would know he exists. If God doubts his existence, he is not all-knowing. God does not exist.

But that's dependent of the "doubt" statement's validity. Arguably, Super, I could say that God does not doubt exist because he is omniscient.

So it's an argument that runs both ways (and they both use non-sequiturs!).
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:04:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 4:02:31 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 1/23/2011 3:59:54 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/23/2011 12:22:53 AM, rarugged wrote:
Let's assume there's such thing as God, in all basic definitional realms.

Therefore, by your assumption, God would question His own existence. By definition, God is omniscient and all-knowing. If God questions His own existence, it must be. Therefore, God doesn't exist.

There is no God.

There are many valid arguments against God.

That is not one.

I think what he meant is God is omniscient. If God is omniscient, God would know he exists. If God doubts his existence, he is not all-knowing. God does not exist.

But that's dependent of the "doubt" statement's validity. Arguably, Super, I could say that God does not doubt exist because he is omniscient.

So it's an argument that runs both ways (and they both use non-sequiturs!).

Summed up my thoughts on it exactly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:11:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 4:24:04 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/22/2011 4:05:40 PM, innomen wrote:
It seems to be the plague of little minds to anthropomorphise God.

You still a Catholic?

A loose affiliation.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 5:25:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

So you are saying that God is like Batman?

Why the fvck didn't you make that clear before! I am converted!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 5:34:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:25:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

So you are saying that God is like Batman?

Why the fvck didn't you make that clear before! I am converted!

Nah, i think the god that people generally speak of could whip batman, and probably enjoy it.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 5:51:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

It's funny that you mock the anthropomorphized God, yet the Bible itself has completely anthropomorphized him by making such references to his hands, his ability to impregnate a woman, his ability to taste animal sacrifices, he even has human emotions like jealousy. So what do you say to that?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 5:56:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:51:02 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

It's funny that you mock the anthropomorphized God, yet the Bible itself has completely anthropomorphized him by making such references to his hands, his ability to impregnate a woman, his ability to taste animal sacrifices, he even has human emotions like jealousy. So what do you say to that?

When have you ever seen me defend the Bible as factual text?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 6:05:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:51:02 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

It's funny that you mock the anthropomorphized God, yet the Bible itself has completely anthropomorphized him by making such references to his hands, his ability to impregnate a woman, his ability to taste animal sacrifices, he even has human emotions like jealousy. So what do you say to that?
Anthropomorphism is not attributing features to God. Anthropomorphism refers to God becoming one of His own creatures, such as a human being. God having hands of His own does not equivocate anthropomorphism.

As for jealousy, there are different ways of being "jealous." Humans are jealous e.g., because they feel less worth than someone else. God does not feel that way. God being "jealous" means God being dissatisfied with what His servants do, e.g., worshiping idols. What it means is not that God is sad because He feels less worthy (because He does not), but He is dissatisfied at the fact that people equivocate something with Him.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 11:04:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 6:05:30 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:51:02 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

It's funny that you mock the anthropomorphized God, yet the Bible itself has completely anthropomorphized him by making such references to his hands, his ability to impregnate a woman, his ability to taste animal sacrifices, he even has human emotions like jealousy. So what do you say to that?
Anthropomorphism is not attributing features to God. Anthropomorphism refers to God becoming one of His own creatures, such as a human being. God having hands of His own does not equivocate anthropomorphism.

As for jealousy, there are different ways of being "jealous." Humans are jealous e.g., because they feel less worth than someone else. God does not feel that way. God being "jealous" means God being dissatisfied with what His servants do, e.g., worshiping idols. What it means is not that God is sad because He feels less worthy (because He does not), but He is dissatisfied at the fact that people equivocate something with Him.

How weak and incompetent the theistic "god" is compared to the god of TRUE Islam.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
rarugged
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:30:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 3:59:54 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/23/2011 12:22:53 AM, rarugged wrote:
Let's assume there's such thing as God, in all basic definitional realms.

Therefore, by your assumption, God would question His own existence. By definition, God is omniscient and all-knowing. If God questions His own existence, it must be. Therefore, God doesn't exist.

There is no God.

There are many valid arguments against God.

That is not one.

It's valid, only if the original assumption is proven true, which it hasn't been.

Anyways, it's a logical loop that never ends.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
tigg13
Posts: 302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 6:01:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 6:05:30 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:51:02 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.

It's funny that you mock the anthropomorphized God, yet the Bible itself has completely anthropomorphized him by making such references to his hands, his ability to impregnate a woman, his ability to taste animal sacrifices, he even has human emotions like jealousy. So what do you say to that?
Anthropomorphism is not attributing features to God. Anthropomorphism refers to God becoming one of His own creatures, such as a human being. God having hands of His own does not equivocate anthropomorphism.


Anthropomorphism: the attribution of human form or behaviour to a deity, animal, etc .
http://dictionary.reference.com...

As for jealousy, there are different ways of being "jealous." Humans are jealous e.g., because they feel less worth than someone else. God does not feel that way. God being "jealous" means God being dissatisfied with what His servants do, e.g., worshiping idols. What it means is not that God is sad because He feels less worthy (because He does not), but He is dissatisfied at the fact that people equivocate something with Him.:

So when God is being jealous, it's not like he's actually jealous in the same way that the word jealous is used when it's talking about people. He's jealous in a way that is completely different to anyway that the word jealous could be used by us. It is so different, in fact, that the word jealous as we understand it, does not even apply to God. A whole other word that means something completely different than jealous should be used, but we use the word jealous anyway because....um, God said so!
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 6:04:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Atheists like to pretend that they don't know what metaphors are if it helps their case.

As if they really need it.

If anything though, they point out how easily certain passages can be misinterpreted, which in itself is a case against a religious text.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:30:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/23/2011 5:34:06 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:25:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.


1) I question my own existence
2) God exists
3) Therefore God questions their own existence.

Does that argument really follow ?, looks like a non sequitur to me.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 9:12:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 2:30:55 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:34:06 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:25:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:22:15 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/23/2011 5:11:02 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"A god would question its own existence" because............ ?

Because we do, and of course God is like us and behaves just like us, except is kind of like a superhero with a dark side.


1) I question my own existence
2) God exists
3) Therefore God questions their own existence.

Does that argument really follow ?, looks like a non sequitur to me.

I was being facetious.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 11:30:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why would God question his own existence? I don't even question my own existence.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.