Jump to topic:

Religious Atheist

uppitynumber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:40:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
By religious atheist, I am not referring to Dawkin's use of the term, but rather those pretentious bandwagon lots who believe so much in (I don't know if that's the right verb :P)Atheism that it's no different from Evangelist believing in God.

i.e. A person who fervently tries to bring up subject of God in an irrelevant conversation just so that they can "pwn" the other person and feel smarter.

To atheists and believers alike,
Q: Do you believe there is atheist and religious atheist?
Q: What, then, do you think constitutes a religious atheist? (I'd say, being a priggish d1ck)
Q:To them, do you think Atheism is a religion?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:55:46 PM
I don't think there is any one reason.

Though I think most of it stems from a genuine fear of religion and ignorance of human nature. They are attacking a manifestation of the problem, not the problem itself.

As long as an atheist is just being a prick about it though, and bringing it up when it is irrelevant, they aren't really helping anyone. Their methods tend to be just as effective as the people who try to convert them.

It is easy for someone to get really passionate and anti-religion if they had to break away from indoctrination sometime in their life. It can be a traumatic experience. However, there comes a point to where that person has to stop and remember what it was like when they were in that mind set. Empathy will go a long way.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:49:04 PM
At 1/23/2011 12:40:25 PM, uppitynumber wrote:
By religious atheist, I am not referring to Dawkin's use of the term, but rather those pretentious bandwagon lots who believe so much in (I don't know if that's the right verb :P)Atheism that it's no different from Evangelist believing in God.

You mean Strong atheists or militant atheists?

i.e. A person who fervently tries to bring up subject of God in an irrelevant conversation just so that they can "pwn" the other person and feel smarter.

That doesn't mean their non-belief is equal to the conviction of an Evangelical. This could simply mean that they study religion extensively and are fed up with answers such as "You just have to have faith".

No. There are varying degrees of "passion" when asserting belief and non-belief but a religious atheist is a contradiction.

Q: What, then, do you think constitutes a religious atheist? (I'd say, being a priggish d1ck)

It's a horrible term. Now, if we were to say a militant atheist -- I'd say a high level of displeasure with religion would be necessary along with a perspective which deems religion as nonsense and detrimental to society. And no, I don't see them as "priggish d!cks".

Hell no.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:52:58 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:49:04 PM, annhasle wrote:

You mean Strong atheists or militant atheists?

That doesn't mean their non-belief is equal to the conviction of an Evangelical. This could simply mean that they study religion extensively and are fed up with answers such as "You just have to have faith".

No. There are varying degrees of "passion" when asserting belief and non-belief but a religious atheist is a contradiction.

It's a horrible term. Now, if we were to say a militant atheist -- I'd say a high level of displeasure with religion would be necessary along with a perspective which deems religion as nonsense and detrimental to society. And no, I don't see them as "priggish d!cks".

Hell no.

I think he was referring to this definition:

religious - adj. - (extremely scrupulous and conscientious) "religious in observing the rules of health"
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:53:29 PM
Saying atheism is a religion is like saying that not building ships in bottles is a hobby.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:57:46 PM
@ M. Torres

That would still be a false assertion. There is no central dogma to atheism, nothing to be "conscientious" of exactly. It's simply non-belief. To say that it could be religious would be like saying my nihilism is an ethical standard. No, it's the antithesis of ethics. Same with atheism; it's the antithesis of a religious belief.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 3:58:47 PM

I believe in a spiritual atheist.

I think there can be preachy annoying atheists as there are from all religions.

no.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:13:56 PM
At 1/23/2011 3:57:46 PM, annhasle wrote:
@ M. Torres

That would still be a false assertion. There is no central dogma to atheism, nothing to be "conscientious" of exactly. It's simply non-belief. To say that it could be religious would be like saying my nihilism is an ethical standard. No, it's the antithesis of ethics. Same with atheism; it's the antithesis of a religious belief.

But you can be religious (conscientious) about nihilism. So why not atheism? It's just the same as saying "I strongly assert Atheism and I live strictly to an Atheist viewpoint". Obviously that's conscientious.

But yes, I agree that one cannot "have faith" in Atheism. That's silly.

That idea would go in this book along with all Theistic religions.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com...

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:19:21 PM

You're basically saying that "religious" and "obnoxious" are the same thing and then concluding that "obnoxious atheists" are religious.

Yes. Jains, Buddhists, and Taoists are all "religious atheists."

Again, "religious" =/= "obnoxious." Usually a high level of devotion constitutes as religious, but obnoxiousness and preachiness aren't equatable with "religiousness."

No.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:19:53 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:13:56 PM, M.Torres wrote:
@ M. Torres

But you can be religious (conscientious) about nihilism. So why not atheism? It's just the same as saying "I strongly assert Atheism and I live strictly to an Atheist viewpoint". Obviously that's conscientious.

Gah, how would you be religious about nihilism? Substantiating your non-belief, whether that be in religion or morals, is different than a religious following. I subscribe to what nihilism entails and agree with it, but I do not believe in nihilism. That would be absolutely contradictory. Having an atheistic worldview is very much different than a theist one that such a comparison is useless.

And the same with nihilism.

Lol. Cool.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:23:21 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:19:53 PM, annhasle wrote:
@ M. Torres

Gah, how would you be religious about nihilism? Substantiating your non-belief, whether that be in religion or morals, is different than a religious following. I subscribe to what nihilism entails and agree with it, but I do not believe in nihilism. That would be absolutely contradictory. Having an atheistic worldview is very much different than a theist one that such a comparison is useless.

Lol. Cool.

subscribe - v. - to support or to adopt as a belief "I subscribe to your view on abortion"

This definition and the one for "religious" I got are from the Wordnet Definitions from Princeton.edu, just to establish the source.

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:26:14 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:23:21 PM, M.Torres wrote:
@ M. Torres

Lol. Cool.

subscribe - v. - to support or to adopt as a belief "I subscribe to your view on abortion"

This definition and the one for "religious" I got are from the Wordnet Definitions from Princeton.edu, just to establish the source.

I subscribe to what it entails as a valid premise or rather, I find Existential, Moral and Metaphysical nihilism to be correct vs. the other forms but to say that I "believe" in it would be false. "Belief" holds a completely different connotation, especially when speaking of religious belief.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:32:44 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:26:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
@ M. Torres

Lol. Cool.

I subscribe to what it entails as a valid premise or rather, I find Existential, Moral and Metaphysical nihilism to be correct vs. the other forms but to say that I "believe" in it would be false. "Belief" holds a completely different connotation, especially when speaking of religious belief.

To be correct = to accept as true

believe - v. - accept as true

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:33:31 PM
There is weak atheism and there is strong atheism.

A weak atheist is someone who has not been convinced of a god existing. They do not believe in god. Ultimately, it is a form of agnosticism.

A strong atheist is someone who asserts that there is no god, and believes that the existence of a god is not possible

The difference is very nil.

Either way, this discussion is about to be mostly semantics, I can feel it in my kidneys.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:34:03 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:26:54 PM, annhasle wrote:
M.Torres, you cannot "believe" in non-belief.

You "subscribe" to nihilism. You "accept" nihilism "as true".

You "believe" in nihilism in two different ways, at least according to the definition of the words.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:34:55 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:33:31 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
There is weak atheism and there is strong atheism.

A weak atheist is someone who has not been convinced of a god existing. They do not believe in god. Ultimately, it is a form of agnosticism.

A strong atheist is someone who asserts that there is no god, and believes that the existence of a god is not possible

The difference is very nil.

Either way, this discussion is about to be mostly semantics, I can feel it in my kidneys.

Wow! You have awesome kidneys! Can they predict stocks to invest in too?! Cause they seem right so far!

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:36:13 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:32:44 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 1/23/2011 4:26:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
@ M. Torres

Lol. Cool.

To be correct = to accept as true

Correct = logically substantiated = true

This is now moving away from the definition of "belief" which has any bearing on religion. We are now talking about it's generic, all encompassing definition. Like in mathematics, 2 + 2 = 4... Do you believe in this equation? Of course not. Is it true? Yes.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:38:11 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:34:03 PM, M.Torres wrote:

I have found it to be the most logical position. It can be substantiated unlike objectivism or relativism.

You "believe" in nihilism in two different ways, at least according to the definition of the words.

I do not believe in nihilism in the sense that has any bearing on this RELIGIOUS conversation, as said in my previous post. We are now speaking of a completely different definition which is not relevant.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:40:36 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:38:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

I have found it to be the most logical position. It can be substantiated unlike objectivism or relativism.

I do not believe in nihilism in the sense that has any bearing on this RELIGIOUS conversation, as said in my previous post. We are now speaking of a completely different definition which is not relevant.

My original point was similar to this. The non-religious definition of religious can apply to atheism, just as the non-religious definition of religious can apply to nihilism.

So, yeah.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:41:17 PM
And yes.

I do believe in this statement: 2+2=4.

I also approve this message.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:41:22 PM
Q: Do you believe there is atheist and religious atheist?:

Secular Humanism acts, in many ways, like an organized religion.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:42:35 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:40:36 PM, M.Torres wrote:

My original point was similar to this. The non-religious definition of religious can apply to atheism, just as the non-religious definition of religious can apply to nihilism.

So, yeah.

That has no bearing on atheism as a contested religious stance since it's a NON-religious definition. So... That was pointless.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:44:06 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:41:17 PM, M.Torres wrote:
And yes.

Lol, if someone showed you 2 + 2 = 4... You'd say, "I believe in that"? No. You might say, "I believe that's true" which is a different meaning. Believe IN and then believe.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:51:03 PM

Yes.

People who are unable to give any valid reasons why they are atheists, and people whose atheism is based on weak arguments or taken to extremes. Dawkins is an example of the latter.

In the broadest possible sense of the word, yes.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:52:08 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:42:35 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/23/2011 4:40:36 PM, M.Torres wrote:

So, yeah.

That has no bearing on atheism as a contested religious stance since it's a NON-religious definition. So... That was pointless.

I thought that was what the OP was getting at. Strong atheism and such, in that it is "religious" in the non-religious way.

Don't know why he's asking about it. But yeah. It exists.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:52:54 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:44:06 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/23/2011 4:41:17 PM, M.Torres wrote:
And yes.

Lol, if someone showed you 2 + 2 = 4... You'd say, "I believe in that"? No. You might say, "I believe that's true" which is a different meaning. Believe IN and then believe.

Well it would not be incorrect to say "I believe in that," if someone showed me 2+2=4.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:53:03 PM
What does it all mean?

Absolutely nothing.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:53:28 PM
At 1/23/2011 4:51:03 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

In the broadest possible sense of the word, yes.

Take that back, C_N. There's no logic there.