Jump to topic:

Problem with Jesus?

Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:19:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was just wondering if any of you have a problem with Jesus teachings specifically. Not with Gods existence or if Jesus was an actual person. Strictly is their something that Jesus said that you just have a problem with. Ready GO
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:34:54 PM
Nah, no real problem.

Sermon on the Mount is just straight up unconditional love to all. It made me cry the first time I read it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:36:33 PM
Of course, there are a few things, yeah.. But for the most part, I don't really have a problem with how he taught to treat other people.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:25:07 AM
meh. unconditional love kind of destroys the concept of love. or at least the value of it. whats great about being "loved" by someone who feels the same about everyone else, even people they find contemptible?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
ASB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:28:00 AM
Anyone that wants to see bluesteel turn into a racist and get embarrassed tune into the debate comments box titled.

Free will is better than forced will
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:29:49 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:28:00 AM, ASB wrote:
Anyone that wants to see bluesteel turn into a racist and get embarrassed tune into the debate comments box titled.

Free will is better than forced will

stop spamming
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:31:08 AM
At 1/26/2011 11:19:58 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
I was just wondering if any of you have a problem with Jesus teachings specifically. Not with Gods existence or if Jesus was an actual person. Strictly is their something that Jesus said that you just have a problem with. Ready GO

Oh, there are a couple of little things, like cursing the fig tree and not condemning slavery and child abuse specifically when he had the chance. But these are negligible.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:32:13 AM

Depends on what you believe Jesus said. I don't think he said all the things they say he said in the Bible, but his teachings that are recorded by historians I trust and I have no problems with those.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:38:00 AM
My biggest problem with him... Probably his claim that he's the "son of God". ^_^
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:44:20 AM
I can't remember who said this, but there was some comedian who had a joke along the lines of this:

"What if historians were wrong? What if everything written down, that Jesus 'said' was sarcastic? Like, 'Yeah. Okay. The meek will inherit the Earth. Sure. And while we're at it, yeah. I'm the Son of God. Eat my flesh and drink my blood. Sounds good. Do unto others as they'd do unto you? Duh!' Then, the writers just took the good parts and wrote them down. Who would know? We read it like it's always serious. But I think Jesus was just a funny guy."
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:45:03 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:38:00 AM, annhasle wrote:
My biggest problem with him... Probably his claim that he's the "son of God". ^_^

I don't think historical Jesus ever did that.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:47:41 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:25:07 AM, belle wrote:
meh. unconditional love kind of destroys the concept of love. or at least the value of it. whats great about being "loved" by someone who feels the same about everyone else, even people they find contemptible?

Nothing is special about being loved by someone like that, but there certainly is something special about being able to love like that. Course, I don't believe anyone IS able to love like that. Especially since it is borderline retarded in certain situations.

That'll do it.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:49:54 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:45:03 AM, Korashk wrote:

What do you mean by that?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:50:33 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:47:41 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Nothing is special about being loved by someone like that, but there certainly is something special about being able to love like that. Course, I don't believe anyone IS able to love like that. Especially since it is borderline retarded in certain situations.

someone who is able to love in spite of their feelings of contempt/disgust/whatever is special why? if we agree that that kind of love is empty anyways then whats so great about achieving it?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:53:32 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:31:08 AM, tigg13 wrote:

Oh, there are a couple of little things, like cursing the fig tree and not condemning slavery and child abuse specifically when he had the chance. But these are negligible.

Very.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:56:00 AM

I don't think the historical Jesus ever did it either.. The only gospel where he outright does anything like this is John, in all the other gospels, it is everyone else who is like "Holy sh!t, this guy is the son of god."

When it was brought up to him, Jesus' response was like, "Don't fvcking tell people that, you twat!"

Peter was bad at keeping to himself.

I kind of see it like this.. Jesus didn't die FOR OUR sins, he died BECAUSE OF OUR sins.. and by our, I mean the wankers who surrounded him. Turned him into a god, ended up getting him killed for blasphemy. He was just an average joe who happened to have some common sense advice. If people back then were as stupid as people are today, it doesn't seem to weird that he was inflated into something huge.

Then again, he could have just been a cult leader. Who knows really? It's hard to take a guess at what Jesus was really like.

One thing I can pretty much say with certainty though.. Anyone who hangs out with tax collectors and prostitutes has got to be a piiiiimp, and anyone who turns water into wine after everyone drank the first keg has to be a party animal. Hell, if you imagine Jesus as a complete drunk, it puts everything into perspective. He was definitely an "I love you maaaaaan.. No you don't understand, I reallly love you, maaan" type of drunk.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:56:49 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:31:08 AM, tigg13 wrote:

Uh...he spoke against wholesale oppression of any kind...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:58:42 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:56:00 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
One thing I can pretty much say with certainty though.. Anyone who hangs out with tax collectors and prostitutes has got to be a piiiiimp, and anyone who turns water into wine after everyone drank the first keg has to be a party animal. Hell, if you imagine Jesus as a complete drunk, it puts everything into perspective. He was definitely an "I love you maaaaaan.. No you don't understand, I reallly love you, maaan" type of drunk.

IT MAKES SENSE NOW.

This matches what I said before. He gets hammered and BAM. He tells everyone to eat his flesh and drink his blood, that his Mom was a virgin when he was born, and brags that he can walk on water.

And the whole "world peace!" thing as well.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 12:59:47 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:50:33 AM, belle wrote:

someone who is able to love in spite of their feelings of contempt/disgust/whatever is special why? if we agree that that kind of love is empty anyways then whats so great about achieving it?

I'd consider it pretty ridiculous and shallow if my parents stopped loving me whenever I messed up.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:01:21 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:59:47 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

I'd consider it pretty ridiculous and shallow if my parents stopped loving me whenever I messed up.

it depends on the degree to which you mess up. obviously you shouldn't expect the person you love to be perfect, but nor should you claim to love them no matter what. what if you found out they raped children? etc...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:03:44 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:01:21 AM, belle wrote:
At 1/27/2011 12:59:47 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

it depends on the degree to which you mess up. obviously you shouldn't expect the person you love to be perfect, but nor should you claim to love them no matter what. what if you found out they raped children? etc...

Honestly, if someone did their time, and they honestly felt bad about it, I'd forgive them.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:07:14 AM
At 1/27/2011 12:49:54 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I think the meaning is fairly clear. I remember reading a debate or thread where Geo made a case for the Christian mythos turning historical Jesus into something he never claimed to be.

http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:12:11 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:07:14 AM, Korashk wrote:

I think the meaning is fairly clear. I remember reading a debate or thread where Geo made a case for the Christian mythos turning historical Jesus into something he never claimed to be.

And how much have you actually read by scholars (atheist, agnostic, and Christian) when they are determining what the historical Jesus was like or said?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:15:01 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:12:11 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/27/2011 1:07:14 AM, Korashk wrote:

And how much have you actually read by scholars (atheist, agnostic, and Christian) when they are determining what the historical Jesus was like or said?

That debate is pretty much the extent of my knowledge.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:15:10 AM
I actually have a book of notes that I made as I read the new testament.

Matthew, Chapter 15, verses 22-26

Why would Jesus deny someone who requested help (a woman asked him to heal her daughter)? Does he only perform miracles when crowds are watching? Did he not say in Chapter 6, verse 2 to do charitable deeds in private? Then in Luke, Chapter 6, verse 30 Jesus says, "Give to everyone who asks of you".

Luke, Chapter 8, verse 39
Luke, Chapter 8, verse 56

When Jesus performs miracles, why does he tell some people to tell others about it, and tell others to tell no one?

----

I don't know how accurate these verses are, I wrote this a long time ago.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:17:21 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:15:10 AM, nonentity wrote:

Why would Jesus deny someone who requested help (a woman asked him to heal her daughter)? Does he only perform miracles when crowds are watching? Did he not say in Chapter 6, verse 2 to do charitable deeds in private? Then in Luke, Chapter 6, verse 30 Jesus says, "Give to everyone who asks of you".

When Jesus performs miracles, why does he tell some people to tell others about it, and tell others to tell no one?

----

To be frank, I doubt that any of the gospels are accurate in the slightest. It is commonly agreed on by scholars that they were all written 30 or more years after the fact, and none of them by people who actually knew Jesus.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:21:22 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:17:21 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

----

To be frank, I doubt that any of the gospels are accurate in the slightest. It is commonly agreed on by scholars that they were all written 30 or more years after the fact, and none of them by people who actually knew Jesus.

You're also aware that it's commonly agreed on by scholars that the Gospels provide most of the information we get in determining that the "historical" Jesus existed and, to some extent, what he was like, right?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:24:12 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:21:22 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/27/2011 1:17:21 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

----

You're also aware that it's commonly agreed on by scholars that the Gospels provide most of the information we get in determining that the "historical" Jesus existed and, to some extent, what he was like, right?

Yes, but that doesn't mean they paint an accurate picture.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 1:29:04 AM
At 1/27/2011 1:24:12 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean they paint an accurate picture.

Well the thread was assuming he existed. That implies we're assuming the Bible is accurate. And based on the Bible, those are some of the questions I came up with.