Jump to topic:

Rant to the Religious forumnauts

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:06:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The amount of theological ignorance present in this forum makes me want to face palm.

If you are a non-believer, it isn't necessary that you scramble to find scriptures to point at the absurdity of a belief system.

Just sit back, and look at the big picture. Look at the claims that are being made, look at what is being demanded of you. You don't need to know or even understand the religion to reject it. The burden of proof isn't on you, and you only make yourself look ignorant. Quit acting like you know what you are talking about when you don't. If you are trying to de-convert a believer, arguing scripture is a WASTE OF TIME. It is also counterproductive when you have no fvcking clue as to what you are talking about it.

Though I will say, the inability of Christian believers especially to explain away misinterpretations and scriptures taken out of context is astounding. I guess that will happen when most of your exposure to the bible comes from scriptures taken out of context and fed to you in church. To the minority of Christians who actually read their bible, that comment isn't aimed at you, so don't butt hurt about it...

<tangent>

I actually pissed off a Christian I was living with once simply for saying that "The bible is a collection of books. When you read a book like say, "Matthew", it is meant to be read from start to finish. You lose a lot of context when you just go all John Forbes Nash on the bible and string completely unrelated scriptures together to support ideas that aren't even really even actually supported by scripture"

Though, this guy was a special breed of stupid motherfvcker, he once asked me to prove that he didn't invent the light bulb in an argument when I showed to him that a study he found about the weight of the human soul was a complete fabrication.

>.<

</tangent>

Anyway, this was meant to be a constructive post. Just trying to help people on both sides become more effective debaters.

Not that I have any idea what I'm talking about or anything. I'm quite inebriated.

inb4 threats of hell or accusations of being immoral for consuming alcohol
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:44:46 AM
Good rant!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 9:33:30 AM
By the way, I think the number of Christians who have actually read the bible is between 10%-20%. That's weak as $hit, and that other 80% are the common thread of this country. Sad...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 10:26:54 AM
At 1/28/2011 9:33:30 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
By the way, I think the number of Christians who have actually read the bible is between 10%-20%. That's weak as $hit, and that other 80% are the common thread of this country. Sad...

That's really pathetic.

"I belive in God, he will give me eternal life if I follow his instructions. This is the bible, his guide book.... hmm... there a lot of words... oh look something shiny!"
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 10:38:35 AM
At 1/28/2011 3:06:53 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
The amount of theological ignorance present in this forum makes me want to face palm.
Have you analyzed the opposite ignorance, perhaps?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:37:46 PM
At 1/28/2011 10:35:28 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Alfonzo: in your infinite wisdom, you should challenge PCP to a debate.

Not sure who that is, acronyms make my head asplode

At 1/28/2011 10:38:35 AM, Mirza wrote:
Have you analyzed the opposite ignorance, perhaps?

Not sure what you mean by that. Secular ignorance?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:39:44 PM
At 1/28/2011 1:37:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
There is no need to point out how ignorant some theologians/religious people are. For every religious person you point out as ignorant, you can point out one non-religious person to match the ignorance.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:41:10 PM
At 1/28/2011 1:39:44 PM, Mirza wrote:
There is no need to point out how ignorant some theologians/religious people are. For every religious person you point out as ignorant, you can point out one non-religious person to match the ignorance.

They are included in my post.

In fact, the blunt of my message was aimed at them.
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 2:06:20 PM

If you are a non-believer, it isn't necessary that you scramble to find scriptures to point at the absurdity of a belief system.

Just sit back, and look at the big picture. Look at the claims that are being made, look at what is being demanded of you. You don't need to know or even understand the religion to reject it. The burden of proof isn't on you, and you only make yourself look ignorant. Quit acting like you know what you are talking about when you don't. If you are trying to de-convert a believer, arguing scripture is a WASTE OF TIME. It is also counterproductive when you have no fvcking clue as to what you are talking about it.

Though I will say, the inability of Christian believers especially to explain away misinterpretations and scriptures taken out of context is astounding. I guess that will happen when most of your exposure to the bible comes from scriptures taken out of context and fed to you in church. To the minority of Christians who actually read their bible, that comment isn't aimed at you, so don't butt hurt about it...

<tangent>

I actually pissed off a Christian I was living with once simply for saying that "The bible is a collection of books. When you read a book like say, "Matthew", it is meant to be read from start to finish. You lose a lot of context when you just go all John Forbes Nash on the bible and string completely unrelated scriptures together to support ideas that aren't even really even actually supported by scripture"

Though, this guy was a special breed of stupid motherfvcker, he once asked me to prove that he didn't invent the light bulb in an argument when I showed to him that a study he found about the weight of the human soul was a complete fabrication.

>.<

</tangent>

Anyway, this was meant to be a constructive post. Just trying to help people on both sides become more effective debaters.

Not that I have any idea what I'm talking about or anything. I'm quite inebriated.

I find that the reason you don't use the Bible as evidence is because you can't or your to afraid to read it and find out. you see 100% of all text based arguments against the Bible are removed from key contexts

While Christians need to read it for themselves and teach it to themselves (preaching should only reinforce not build), if someone is going to legitamatly argue against it they need to read it, ALL OF IT. and if they don't get something. look up the greek and hebrew etamologies of the words. it explains alot.

also side note; I have sufficient evidence that i will present on a later time that the old KJV is the only God approved english version of the Bible
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 2:29:33 PM
At 1/28/2011 2:06:20 PM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
I find that the reason you don't use the Bible as evidence is because you can't or your to afraid to read it and find out. you see 100% of all text based arguments against the Bible are removed from key contexts

What would the bible be evidence for? I come from a long line of preachers, and am living in a church right now. I spent years of my life reading the bible OBSESSIVELY. There was a point in my life where I was about to give up all of my belongings and go on the road as a traveling hobo preacher(I was put in a mental hospital for this, kind of sick, eh? XD) I am familiar enough with the bible.

I will dispute your 100% out of context claim on the grounds that there are PLENTY of biblical passages which are in context which make the bible look pretty bad.

However, I will also say that reading the bible in it's entirety, even by itself takes it out of context, as there is evidence to suggest that the bible has been tampered with more than a few times in it's history. The supposed books of Moses especially. The bible also doesn't tell you how long after the fact certain books were written..

Though, none of this extra-biblical knowledge is necessary to discount it as the infallible word of god, or even the inerrant word of god. The more you read the bible, the more obvious it becomes that it is a work of men.

While Christians need to read it for themselves and teach it to themselves (preaching should only reinforce not build), if someone is going to legitamatly argue against it they need to read it, ALL OF IT. and if they don't get something. look up the greek and hebrew etamologies of the words. it explains alot.

It would be nice to see some more informed Christians around here, so I won't argue with that... but...

also side note; I have sufficient evidence that i will present on a later time that the old KJV is the only God approved english version of the Bible

*facepalm*

If this has anything to do with the bible code, I'm going to.....

...say that I fell for that a long long time ago. >.>

XD

Otherwise, it's probably the crappiest translation there is. It isn't even in English anymore(You might as well be reading Shakespeare), and words were translated to enforce biases of the Church of England.

Though, I'd be interested in hearing your case.. Just uh.. make a new topic for it, so that this one doesn't turn into a discussion over which translation of the bible is the most accurate or whatever.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:15:22 PM

http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:49:13 PM
At 1/28/2011 3:15:22 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

Thank you, Kenyon. :)

Allow me to rephrase, Alfonzo: you should challenge popculturepooka to a debate. He's an "intelligent" theist, so I'm sure you'll crush him. :)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:05:37 PM
At 1/28/2011 3:49:13 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Allow me to rephrase, Alfonzo: you should challenge popculturepooka to a debate. He's an "intelligent" theist, so I'm sure you'll crush him. :)

Why would you lie to CosmicAlfonzo like that? :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:09:32 PM
At 1/28/2011 4:05:37 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I take it with a grain of salt. Just like the "infinite wisdom" comment. Hah. XP

I'll gladly do a debate with you if you write something up. It's very unnatural for me to challenge someone to a debate, because I don't really give enough of a fvck. XD
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:10:27 PM
At 1/28/2011 4:05:37 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Lol. It's not like I'm trying to set him up for some kind of humiliating defeat. Those allegations are appalling!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 6:26:18 PM
Lol, Cody. (^_^)

CA, I'll try to think of something we can debate about. I want to do something different.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 6:45:38 PM

BURN SCUM!!!! BURN!!!!
kfc