Jump to topic:

Nontrinitarianism?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:19:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did Jesus ever really claim to be God? I was surprised to find how many biblical scholars think he didn't. Lets just assume for a second that the bible is true and what it says he said is really what he said and that it never contradicts(just try). Does Jesus claim that he is God?

Here is what I have found:

Pro:

"I and the Father are one."
John 10:30

That one seems pretty clear yet it's really the only one I could find.

Con:

"Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. 'No one is good--except God alone."
Matthew 19:17

"I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I."
John 14:28

"But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (speaking of judgment day)
Mark 13:32

"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?' that is, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Matthew 27:46
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:34:23 AM
"But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in
heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (speaking of judgment day)

This should be in the pro pile, every male is a son, it must surely only reference the son is Jesus is held to the son of God. It also falls into the "trinity makes no sense pile".

Very interesting thread nonetheless.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:38:59 AM
Course, Jesus did say "Blessed are the peacemakers, they will be called the children of God"

One could argue that Jesus was a son of god by his own definition.

inb4 Matthew 10:34
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:43:54 AM
10:32-33.

nac
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 10:08:46 AM
At 1/28/2011 4:17:21 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/28/2011 3:43:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
10:32-33.

nac

Book?

Seriously?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 10:33:56 AM
At 1/28/2011 3:19:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Did Jesus ever really claim to be God?
No, he did not.

I was surprised to find how many biblical scholars think he didn't.
That is correct - there are non-trinitarian sects within Christianity.

Lets just assume for a second that the bible is true and what it says he said is really what he said and that it never contradicts(just try). Does Jesus claim that he is God?
No, and no Christian here has proven that when I asked.

Pro:

That one is not "Pro." To begin with, it is ambigous. It is not clear in its meaning. Did Jesus (peace be upon him) claim divinity, or did he compare himself to God? If the former, then Jesus and his disciples were all one with God, for they were all called "One" with God and so on.

Con:

"But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (speaking of judgment day)

"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?' that is, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Those verses are clear on the matter, and there are numerous others. Ask if you need.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:31:48 PM
At 1/28/2011 4:17:09 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/28/2011 3:38:59 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I don't see the relevance.

Because that scripture is used on this forum a lot to say that Jesus was not peaceful. Which is silly.

Honestly, I'd be more interested in seeing the pro side, because when I was a Christian.. I read the bible and never had the impression that Jesus claimed to be god. The only book that stands out in this regard is John, which paints Jesus as a very different person than the other 3 gospels.

If you are going to look for evidence supporting Jesus claiming to be one with god, John would probably be the best place to look. You aren't going to find much of anything in the other gospels.

When I was a Christian, I was very unorthodox near the end. I was a monotheist who did not believe in the trinity, so I find it interesting that this has been brought up on these forums.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:36:22 PM
At 1/28/2011 1:31:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 1/28/2011 4:17:09 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/28/2011 3:38:59 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I don't see the relevance.

Because that scripture is used on this forum a lot to say that Jesus was not peaceful. Which is silly.

Honestly, I'd be more interested in seeing the pro side, because when I was a Christian.. I read the bible and never had the impression that Jesus claimed to be god. The only book that stands out in this regard is John, which paints Jesus as a very different person than the other 3 gospels.

If you are going to look for evidence supporting Jesus claiming to be one with god, John would probably be the best place to look. You aren't going to find much of anything in the other gospels.

When I was a Christian, I was very unorthodox near the end. I was a monotheist who did not believe in the trinity, so I find it interesting that this has been brought up on these forums.
Starting with Luke, you see that Jesus (peace be upon him) was never described as more than a human. Moving on through the Gospels, you witness that people started believing that Jesus was more than a human, and this evolution of belief is clearly painted throughout the Gospels. It has evolved enough that the majority of the Christians today are trinitarians, even though Jesus (peace be upon him) never claimed divinity, neither by saying he is Alpha and Omega, nor by saying he and God are one.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 1:43:32 AM
At 1/28/2011 10:33:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
No, he did not.

You did not believe me before...
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:10:50 AM
OHH YEAA

PRO:

Jesus said to them, Most assuredly i say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.
John 8:58 I AM was an OT name For God

Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that i am He, you will die in your sins.
John 8:24 The capital H in he signifys God

Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?" The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God." John 10:32-33
Obviously the Jews knew what Jesus was claiming

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1
The word is another name for Jesus.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,"says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
Revelation 1:8

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the end, the First and the Last.
Revelation 22:13

Now there are many a scripture I could have quoted in the epistles that prove that the Disciples believed that Jesus was claiming to be God and is God, but I do not think that is what you people were calling for.

Also one more thing, these next were in the Con In the original post I would just like to clear these up

That is an allusion to a Psalm in the OT

Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"
So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
Matthew 19:16-17

Now notice How Jesus never said that he himself was not good but that only God is Good, now he is stating if I'm good i'm God. Ala Jesus = God
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:44:47 AM
Did Jesus ever really claim to be God? I was surprised to find how many biblical scholars think he didn't. Lets just assume for a second that the bible is true and what it says he said is really what he said and that it never contradicts(just try). Does Jesus claim that he is God?

Pro:

This is cleared up when you read the rest of the Bible.

1 Corinthians 3
8Now he that planteth and he that watereth areone: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

Now for a little context.

1 Corinthians 3
6I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

"I" is St. Paul and he has planted. Apollos waters.

He that plants and he that waters are ONE. This is two different people that are ONE in purpose or will. Jesus is describing the same situation.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:59:32 AM

Pro:

You forgot a few more.
"Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?" But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.
Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ,[Messiah] the Son of the Blessed One?"

"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Mark 14:60-62

John 17:5-- And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began

Luke 22:66-70-- [66] At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them. [67] "If you are the Christ, " they said, "tell us." Jesus answered, "If I tell you, you will not believe me, [68] and if I asked you, you would not answer. [69] But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God." [70] They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am."

There's a few more, but I couldn't find the verses.

Con:

You're taking it out of context. Jesus wanted the man to think. Jesus didn't want Him to throw the word around "good."

The word greater is really the word "meizon." It doesn't mean greater as it means. It means He has a different authority. In other words, each part of the trinity has a different "job."

This applies to the previous.

Jesus was 100% man and 100% God. If you were being crucified (a very painful death), and carrying the burden of all the world's sins and if you were totally innocent, wouldn't you wanna scream? I know I would! Jesus cries out because it's unfair because he's innocent. When the Jews sacrificed their lambs and cows didn't the lambs or cows cry out? It's the same concept.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:04:53 PM
At 1/29/2011 1:43:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/28/2011 10:33:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
No, he did not.

You did not believe me before...
I did not say to you that there are no non-trinitarian sects.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:32:03 PM
Did Jesus ever really claim to be God? I was surprised to find how many biblical scholars think he didn't. Lets just assume for a second that the bible is true and what it says he said is really what he said and that it never contradicts(just try). Does Jesus claim that he is God?:

"Before Abraham was, I AM." -- John 8:58 (Clear reference to being eternal and a reference to the I AM of Exodus)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." -- John 1

(Simple: The Word is God, the Word (God) became flesh -- Jesus)

"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." -- Matthew 1:23

"And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people." -- Luke 7:16

I think there is sufficient etymological evidence that he did claim he was God, which is one of the reasons he was executed.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:39:01 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:22:27 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
So, Mirza, when are you going to debate InquireTruth?
I am not going to bother asking people for debates over and over again. I asked both him and PCP to debate that Jesus never claimed divinity - to no avail.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:40:06 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:32:03 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Did Jesus ever really claim to be God? I was surprised to find how many biblical scholars think he didn't. Lets just assume for a second that the bible is true and what it says he said is really what he said and that it never contradicts(just try). Does Jesus claim that he is God?:

"Before Abraham was, I AM." -- John 8:58 (Clear reference to being eternal and a reference to the I AM of Exodus)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." -- John 1

(Simple: The Word is God, the Word (God) became flesh -- Jesus)

"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." -- Matthew 1:23

"And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people." -- Luke 7:16

I think there is sufficient etymological evidence that he did claim he was God, which is one of the reasons he was executed.
I have done debates on these parts. You can read on my list of debates.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:50:58 PM
The Holy Trinity was made by the Catholic Church to consolidate its power as well as taking advantage of the massive amounts of illiteracy of most Europeans during that time . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:48:48 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:39:01 PM, Mirza wrote:
I am not going to bother asking people for debates over and over again. I asked both him and PCP to debate that Jesus never claimed divinity - to no avail.

Oh really? Because I seem to recall InquireTruth issuing a debate challenge that you let expire twice.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:52:15 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:48:48 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Oh really? Because I seem to recall InquireTruth issuing a debate challenge that you let expire twice.
He didn't issue a challenge on what we discussed. I made a thread that continued my argument that "in the Bible, Jesus never claimed divinity", and the challenge was about what other people than Jesus (peace be upon him) claimed. I looked forward to a change in the resolution, and nothing happened.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:00:51 PM

We've already been over this.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:02:10 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:00:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

We've already been over this.
Not J.Kenyon and I, and I addressed him.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:11:00 PM
If you disagree that Jesus claimed divinity in the bible, make your case.

(Note: It doesn't necessarily mean that the bible is accurate)

I certainly have no reason to assume that Jesus was divine.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:17:59 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:52:15 PM, Mirza wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little girl who refuses to defend my beliefs against competent debaters. I prefer to debate "cupcakes over trivialities."

Oh, ok.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:23:41 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:17:59 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 1/29/2011 3:52:15 PM, Mirza wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little girl who refuses to defend my beliefs against competent debaters. I prefer to debate "cupcakes over trivialities."

Oh, ok.
Name a competent debater who wants to debate the resolution I set. If you hate me, you can still be logical, thank you. You refuse to see who is right on this. You merely use the biased view against me and make it look like I refuse to debate. I don't fear any of you, is that clear? If I lose, that's it. It doesn't matter to me to show how good I am at debating on this site. Find the competent ones, I stand by my case all the time. Name any, and ask to accept my resolution.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 5:14:16 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:11:00 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

The Holy Trinity was made by the Catholic Church to consolidate its power as well as taking advantage of the massive amounts of illiteracy of most Europeans during that time . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 6:32:43 PM
At 1/29/2011 5:14:16 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

The Holy Trinity predates what we woudl normally refer to as the Catholic Church and at the time literacy rates would have rather high.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:09:42 PM
At 1/29/2011 6:32:43 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/29/2011 5:14:16 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

The Holy Trinity predates what we woudl normally refer to as the Catholic Church and at the time literacy rates would have rather high.

Or does it . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: