Jump to topic:

Religious intolerance

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 2:15:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In today's "enlightened" world, it's "wrong" to dislike somebody because of their skin color. Or their nationality. Or their sex. Their sexual preference. Their age. Their language. Their economic condition. Their clothes.....so on and so forth, and ALSO THEIR RELIGION.

I can understand most of the above, except the religion part.

Religion is, in most of the cases, a matter of belief. And a belief has something to with an opinion, which is held in their brain, which makes it their choice!

And the only form of "dislike" that makes any sense, is a dislike for the way a person thinks, or the opinions he/she holds.

So, why should one not dislike somebody for being of a particular religion? Especially if I don't like the things spouted by that religious creed?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 2:47:47 PM
There is a difference between respecting a person's right to believe in something, and respecting their belief in that something.

Even telling someone their beliefs are stupid, or debating them about it isn't a violation of the former.. You should not restrict the right of people to believe in whatever they want.. Or to disbelieve in whatever they want.(Though forgive me for using the word want, because I'd like to hope that people believe in things due to personal honesty, not desire ;p)

To respect someone's belief is to say that it is a valid and/or reasonable conclusion. There are some beliefs that are obviously irrational, and do not deserve any kind of respect.

Utter disrespect towards THE PERSON who has different beliefs than you is a sure fire way to avoid any kind of constructive outcome. Respecting the other person can be hard when dealing with someone who will make appeals to solipsism.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 2:56:45 PM
At 1/28/2011 2:47:47 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
There is a difference between respecting a person's right to believe in something, and respecting their belief in that something.

Even telling someone their beliefs are stupid, or debating them about it isn't a violation of the former.. You should not restrict the right of people to believe in whatever they want.. Or to disbelieve in whatever they want.(Though forgive me for using the word want, because I'd like to hope that people believe in things due to personal honesty, not desire ;p)
I was not talking about restricting any rights of the people. They are free to believe what they want. But I hold that it's only people's belief that can give you a valid reason to dislike them. Not things which are not in their control. Unless you argue that it's wrong to dislike anybody at all!

To respect someone's belief is to say that it is a valid and/or reasonable conclusion. There are some beliefs that are obviously irrational, and do not deserve any kind of respect.
Obviously irrational to whom? For some, Christianity, Islam can be as obviously irrational as druidism.

Utter disrespect towards THE PERSON who has different beliefs than you is a sure fire way to avoid any kind of constructive outcome. Respecting the other person can be hard when dealing with someone who will make appeals to solipsism.

Well, is there any valid reason for dislike of a person?
And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:12:49 PM
At 1/28/2011 2:56:45 PM, Indophile wrote:

Of course there is.

I think most people would agree that wankerish self centered @ssholes who will walk over anyone to get themselves to the top are not very likable fellows. Also people who are pushy about enforcing their will over other people are very much dislikable.

I'm a big softie, I see myself in everyone. I have compassion, especially for sentient life... So I give everyone a certain degree of love. I see everyone as family, and I'd like the best for them(most of what is best for them is giving them freedom and space)... Even if I think they act like a bunch of monkeys. XP

Don't get me wrong, I'm no sucker. I'm slow to trust, but I'm also slow to judge. I also try not to judge based on irrelevant things.

Hating someone for their beliefs is also kind of dumb, because most people don't even know what they believe. A good majority only believe because they were raised that way. They might act in an arrogant manner, but they are really just ignorant, and don't know any better. If they do know better, then they suffer on the inside, and that sort of thing works itself out.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:33:49 PM
At 1/28/2011 3:12:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 1/28/2011 2:56:45 PM, Indophile wrote:

Of course there is.

I think most people would agree that wankerish self centered @ssholes who will walk over anyone to get themselves to the top are not very likable fellows. Also people who are pushy about enforcing their will over other people are very much dislikable.
Hmm. Dislike people for their (bad) actions. That's not really rocket-science is it? :) But what leads them to do these bad things. Isn't it their way of thinking? If you know someone who says that doing all these things is not a bad thing, but has not done any of those things yet, you would not dislike that person?

I'm a big softie, I see myself in everyone. I have compassion, especially for sentient life... So I give everyone a certain degree of love. I see everyone as family, and I'd like the best for them(most of what is best for them is giving them freedom and space)... Even if I think they act like a bunch of monkeys. XP

Don't get me wrong, I'm no sucker. I'm slow to trust, but I'm also slow to judge. I also try not to judge based on irrelevant things.

Hating someone for their beliefs is also kind of dumb, because most people don't even know what they believe. A good majority only believe because they were raised that way. They might act in an arrogant manner, but they are really just ignorant, and don't know any better. If they do know better, then they suffer on the inside, and that sort of thing works itself out.
This is called as giving them the benefit of the doubt. But if they persist in holding these beliefs, you will still not dislike them?

But the people you just described, are simply stupid. But as you know, stupidity is dangerous not only to the self, but to others as well. It's even more stupid to not be averse to stupidity :)
And it will be true.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:51:23 PM
At 1/28/2011 2:15:00 PM, Indophile wrote:
In today's "enlightened" world, it's "wrong" to dislike somebody because of their skin color. Or their nationality. Or their sex. Their sexual preference. Their age. Their language. Their economic condition. Their clothes.....so on and so forth, and ALSO THEIR RELIGION.

Religion is, in most of the cases, a matter of belief. And a belief has something to with an opinion, which is held in their brain, which makes it their choice!

And the only form of "dislike" that makes any sense, is a dislike for the way a person thinks, or the opinions he/she holds.

So, why should one not dislike somebody for being of a particular religion? Especially if I don't like the things spouted by that religious creed?

Good point. Fvck em'!
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:01:51 PM
I honestly don't see what the problem is until a member of said religion starts preaching or trying to do something that harms you directly(threatening to kill you for being the wrong faith, etc. which would then mean that person is violating your freedom of religion). Until then, everybody should respect everybody else's beliefs whether it's atheism, christianity, paganism, whatever.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:03:01 PM
At 1/28/2011 3:33:49 PM, Indophile wrote:
Hmm. Dislike people for their (bad) actions. That's not really rocket-science is it? :) But what leads them to do these bad things. Isn't it their way of thinking? If you know someone who says that doing all these things is not a bad thing, but has not done any of those things yet, you would not dislike that person?

It really depends on what type of behavior they believe is ok. Like, I don't really care for thieves and violent types.. However, I have been friends with both. Until they do something ill to me, I don't have much of a problem(and even then, I don't trust people like that). I'll flat out tell them that I think what they are doing is asinine, but I'm not going to nag them about it. I like to be a positive influence in people's lives. I like to see people rise above the things that drag them down. It's all mental.

This is called as giving them the benefit of the doubt. But if they persist in holding these beliefs, you will still not dislike them?

Yeah, benefit of the doubt. That is actually what I use to describe it.

Nah, I don't hold it against them. I live in a pentecostal church with my family right now.. My uncle is the preacher. Even though their beliefs are completely insane to me, I get along with them fine now.

It took a while. After years of being persecuted, being the scapegoat, exorcisms, etc simply for not believing what they believed, they eventually gave up. The funny thing is, through a lot of it, I was a Christian.. It only got worse after becoming a non-Christian...

Eventually, they stopped doing all that though, and now we get along fine. I forgive people as long as I'm given an honest apology. I have learned to never forgive someone unconditionally if they do obvious wrong to you when you are to blame for nothing. As soon as you start forgiving people who do you wrong unconditionally(and a simple apology would be considered a condition), you are inviting all sorts of people into your life who could care less about you or your well being. You will just be a source of income to them.

But the people you just described, are simply stupid. But as you know, stupidity is dangerous not only to the self, but to others as well. It's even more stupid to not be averse to stupidity :)

They are stupid, and I have a strong aversion to stupidity...

Chidren are also stupid, but even they can grow up to be intelligent adults. Even adults are capable of expanding their own capacities. Old dogs can learn new tricks, but an old dog who is stubbornly arrogant... that is a different story.

The best advice I can give about hanging around people who are stupid(And it truly is a rare sight to find someone who isn't stupid in this world), is to develop a sense of humor.

Try to view things from an outside perspective.. Watch life like a sitcom.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 12:27:53 AM
At 1/28/2011 4:03:01 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 1/28/2011 3:33:49 PM, Indophile wrote:

It really depends on what type of behavior they believe is ok. Like, I don't really care for thieves and violent types.. However, I have been friends with both. Until they do something ill to me, I don't have much of a problem(and even then, I don't trust people like that). I'll flat out tell them that I think what they are doing is asinine, but I'm not going to nag them about it. I like to be a positive influence in people's lives. I like to see people rise above the things that drag them down. It's all mental.
So as long as they don't act on their beliefs, and that too in a way that doesn't harm one personally, it's ok? If that's the case, it should be the same if I dislike them, as long as I don't act on that dislike, right?

Nah, I don't hold it against them.
As soon as you start forgiving people who do you wrong unconditionally(and a simple apology would be considered a condition), you are inviting all sorts of people into your life who could care less about you or your well being. You will just be a source of income to them.
It's a nice outlook to have. But I'm talking not about acting after the fact of their action. It's just about the validity of disliking somebody for their beliefs, which still seems to me to be the only reason that actually makes sense to dislike someone for. As in, there's no argument about disliking somebody who is actually DOING bad things.

They are stupid, and I have a strong aversion to stupidity...

Chidren are also stupid, but even they can grow up to be intelligent adults. Even adults are capable of expanding their own capacities. Old dogs can learn new tricks, but an old dog who is stubbornly arrogant... that is a different story.
Children and dogs. Now why would you bring them into the picture? :) I'd hardly assume children and dogs to hold beliefs about ways to live their lives!! I was pretty sure I was talking about adults who could actually make a decision. If they do change their beliefs, I'd have no reason to dislike them, would I?

And children are not stupid at all. They are just cruel. If you doubt that, then just look at siblings when they are young. The big one will almost always pick on the smaller one, hit them and do all such cruel things :)

The best advice I can give about hanging around people who are stupid(And it truly is a rare sight to find someone who isn't stupid in this world), is to develop a sense of humor.
The best advice about hanging around stupid people is to not do it :) If you are by some unfortunate situation forced to endure it, then well, a sense humor is the only defense you have!

Try to view things from an outside perspective.. Watch life like a sitcom.
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 12:31:19 AM
At 1/28/2011 4:01:51 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I honestly don't see what the problem is until a member of said religion starts preaching or trying to do something that harms you directly(threatening to kill you for being the wrong faith, etc. which would then mean that person is violating your freedom of religion). Until then, everybody should respect everybody else's beliefs whether it's atheism, christianity, paganism, whatever.

Why stop at paganism. In fact I would include racism, sexism, regionalism, ageism, whatever. So, all these beliefs should be respected as long as the person holding these beliefs don't start preaching or trying to do something that harms me directly?
And it will be true.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 12:35:28 AM
At 1/29/2011 12:31:19 AM, Indophile wrote:

Why stop at paganism. In fact I would include racism, sexism, regionalism, ageism, whatever. So, all these beliefs should be respected as long as the person holding these beliefs don't start preaching or trying to do something that harms me directly?

Ther is no such thing as thought crimes, at least in the U.S. As soon as they communicate these thoughts or beliefs, they open themselves up to scrutiny and even ridicule. Fair game...
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 12:48:36 AM
At 1/29/2011 12:31:19 AM, Indophile wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at in the first part, but religious intolerance is just the same as any other form of intolerance and shouldn't be accepted.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 1:01:45 AM
I was using the old dog as a metaphor for an adult, not literally a dog. Maybe I was a bit hasty to call kids stupid though.

What I'm trying to get at is.. No matter how old you are, we are all still capable of learning and changing. An adult is just as capable of changing as a kid.

Dislike people all you want, but don't be a d!ck about it. Keep an open mind, remember that people change.

I know what it is like to be judged and disliked for my beliefs. My beliefs seem threatening to some people, because they don't understand them. Relationships have ended over it, I've been shunned by my family over them in the past. All for the crime of being honest to myself.

Yeah, do whatever works for you, but don't do something you'll regret like unintentionally act and think like the people who you are judging.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:20:31 AM

Would you agree that beliefs are more of what defines a person then clothes or color? Nationality or age?

If you can understand this can you see how an attack on someones beliefs are far more personal then any other aspect of a persons being?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 7:51:46 AM

If this opinion doesn't break your natural rights then what right or sound reason do you have for intolerance (Im referring to the title) ? However, yes, you do have a right to dislike someone for their religion though the same thing can be said for other things.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 10:15:22 AM
At 1/29/2011 3:20:31 AM, jharry wrote:

Would you agree that beliefs are more of what defines a person then clothes or color? Nationality or age?

If you can understand this can you see how an attack on someones beliefs are far more personal then any other aspect of a persons being?

If the beliefs that define you are ridiculous... well, you know the rest. And the answer is no. Your actions define you, sir. Your beliefs are a personal preference.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 10:54:43 AM
We are preaching th virtue of tolerance, yet what is tolerance? Tolerance is where you accept or endure something that you do not agree with. It can only stretch so far. Once a specific social group becomes too offensive, we have the right to take action against it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:21:55 PM

This one's a bit tricky. Quite often, hatred of a particular religion isn't a matter of real disagreement with the religion itself, but cultural and even racist. Since religion, culture, and race are deeply related and often one in the same, hatred of other religions is a covert sort of either racism or ethnocentrism.

That doesn't mean however that it's inherently wrong to discriminate based on religious/spiritual beliefs, even specific ones. It really comes down to whether the discrimination is quietly rooted in racism/ethnocentrism, or in a real disagreement with the religion (or all religions) itself. Discriminating against all "believers" certainly doesn't fall under racism/ethnocentrism. It falls under a major disagreement with their core beliefs, a choice.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:39:40 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:21:55 PM, Yvette wrote:
It falls under a major disagreement with their core beliefs, a choice.

I don't think of my beliefs as choices so much...

they're more what results when I look at the world.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:44:14 PM
Honest people do not choose their beliefs.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:48:30 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:39:40 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 1/29/2011 4:21:55 PM, Yvette wrote:
It falls under a major disagreement with their core beliefs, a choice.

I don't think of my beliefs as choices so much...

they're more what results when I look at the world.

Actually, you're right, I don't think I really thought out that statement. Still, hating someone for what they think can be wrong, but is quite different from hating someone for where they come from, what they look like, what they were born as, etc. Still quite often morally wrong. But from the anti-theists' perspective, religious belief is often a matter of willful ignorance, a trait that is defensible, imo, to detest.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:53:27 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:44:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Do you know how many people are dishonest with themselves? Denial is simply one form of this. All of us have to come to a realization with ourselves from time to time.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 5:07:05 PM
Religious Intolerance is more common than dark-energy, and dark-matter combined . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 6:34:27 PM
At 1/29/2011 4:44:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Wisely stated.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 4:16:12 AM
At 1/28/2011 3:51:23 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Good point. Fvck em'!

YOu're Jewish right? How's that worked out for you guys in the past?
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 4:52:39 PM
At 1/30/2011 4:16:12 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/28/2011 3:51:23 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Good point. Fvck em'!

YOu're Jewish right? How's that worked out for you guys in the past?

You missed the point by a long way. I didn't condone physically harming anyone due to their religion, and never have, on this site or anywhere else. Also, most Jews keep their $hit to themselves. I'm surprised to see you misrepresent something like this. It's rare, to say the least. I simply agree that you open yourself to scrutiny when you communicate your beliefs, and no one owes anyone else respect for their "faith". I respect you because you keep your faith a person thing, for the most part, and as far as I can tell you don't preach to unwilling listeners. Did I answer your question?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:21:42 PM
At 1/29/2011 10:15:22 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 1/29/2011 3:20:31 AM, jharry wrote:

If the beliefs that define you are ridiculous... well, you know the rest. And the answer is no. Your actions define you, sir. Your beliefs are a personal preference.

Ahhh, most people act on their beliefs.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen