Jump to topic:

The Savior . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:05:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did you know that the religion that brought Europe out of the Dark Ages is not Christianity . . . this religion is Islam . . . I made this thread in response to a Christian [who shall not be named] who insists that Christianity brought Europe out of the Dark Ages . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:21:56 AM
I don't think islam did either...

what did Islam do that brought them out of the dark ages???

I know whilst IN the dark ages Islamic Philosophers were rather popular...

and I know that throughout the dark ages islamic people also happened to hold on to a lot of Old books with a lot of neat stuff..

but how did Islam release Europe from the dark ages??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:30:04 AM
At 1/29/2011 8:05:45 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Did you know that the religion that brought Europe out of the Dark Ages is not Christianity . . . this religion is Islam . . . I made this thread in response to a Christian [who shall not be named] who insists that Christianity brought Europe out of the Dark Ages . . .:

What brought Europe out of the Dark Ages was the Age of Enlightenment and Reason. Where exactly does Islam factor in to that, especially since Europe and Islam warring with one another during that timeframe?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:34:14 AM
They took spain... and made it more cosmopolitan..

but how's that relate to melting the dark ages of all europe.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:38:45 AM
At 1/29/2011 8:30:04 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Did you know that the religion that brought Europe out of the Dark Ages is not Christianity . . . this religion is Islam . . . I made this thread in response to a Christian [who shall not be named] who insists that Christianity brought Europe out of the Dark Ages . . .:

What brought Europe out of the Dark Ages was the Age of Enlightenment and Reason. Where exactly does Islam factor in to that, especially since Europe and Islam warring with one another during that timeframe?

Arabic commentaries on Greek tradition made its way to Europe during that era. Much of it was for the first time. Access to writers such as Aristotle were fairly important in rebuilding forays into science and mathematics. No idea if that's what srw means -since it's not 'Islam' but Arabic writers who happened to be Islamic. :P
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:45:14 AM
At 1/29/2011 8:38:45 AM, Puck wrote:

Arabic commentaries on Greek tradition made its way to Europe during that era. Much of it was for the first time. Access to writers such as Aristotle were fairly important in rebuilding forays into science and mathematics. No idea if that's what srw means -since it's not 'Islam' but Arabic writers who happened to be Islamic. :P

I thought that religious philosopher people in the dark ages had access to Avicenna and the other guy throughout?? or at least some of their works... like "The Commentaries" no?

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:46:26 AM
Averroes

Metaphysics:
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:52:41 AM
At 1/29/2011 8:45:14 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 1/29/2011 8:38:45 AM, Puck wrote:

I thought that religious philosopher people in the dark ages had access to Avicenna and the other guy throughout?? or at least some of their works... like "The Commentaries" no?

Yup. Ibn Sina was known by the 12th Century at least? Fairly sure.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:59:48 AM
The point of this was to make the point tat Islam contributed more to the end of the Dark Ages than Christianity . . . http://www.allempires.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:09:20 AM
At 1/29/2011 9:01:30 AM, Puck wrote:
But you never made a point. :P Just a claim.

Its an entire history chapter . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:52:27 AM
At 1/29/2011 9:20:28 AM, Puck wrote:
"The point of this was"

Past tense.

To tell a little information to a particular christian . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:46:41 PM
Did you know that the religion that brought Europe out of the Dark Ages is not Christianity . . . this religion is Islam . . . I made this thread in response to a Christian [who shall not be named] who insists that Christianity brought Europe out of the Dark Ages . . .

I think it should be pointed out that we had Aristotle and the classic philosophers and Greek thinkers BEFORE the dark ages. So if it weren't for Christianity (which was a major contributing factor leading to, and the sustaining of, the Dark Ages), we could have reached the age of enlightenment 1000 years sooner.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:53:41 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:46:41 PM, tigg13 wrote:

I think it should be pointed out that we had Aristotle and the classic philosophers and Greek thinkers BEFORE the dark ages. So if it weren't for Christianity (which was a major contributing factor leading to, and the sustaining of, the Dark Ages), we could have reached the age of enlightenment 1000 years sooner.

That is also true . . . the point of this was to point out that other religions were far more helpful in the advance in science than Christianity . . . all hail Zeus, Ra, and Allah ! ! !
Minister Of Trolling
:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:54:03 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:46:41 PM, tigg13 wrote:

What is this nonsense? Read the book: How Islam Created the Modern World. Where do people think that Muslims got their inspirations from? And how can you even compare Christianity to Islam in this historical case, when Christians made Europe a beta of ruins, while Muslims brought the greatest pieces of scientific and societal achievements?

And to those who make the excuses about Greek writings - that's just a little fragment of what Muslims achieved to do. They were willing to restore lost philosophy when other people smashed it, but they were also willing to achieve a lot of things that no scientists or philosophers did before them. They were the ones who brought light into Europe, not Christians.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:59:37 PM
At 1/29/2011 8:21:56 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

and I know that throughout the dark ages islamic people also happened to hold on to a lot of Old books with a lot of neat stuff..

Islam made it obligatory for Muslims to seek knowledge. The Qur'an inspired Muslims to make great astronomic discoveries, great medical achievements, great political enlightenment to Jews and Christians, and many other things. A lot of times, the Muslim scientists and philosophers combined the Qur'an and their scientific achievements. This book inspired them to make progress that no other people did for centuries, until Isabella and Ferdinand came to power.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:09:35 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:59:37 PM, Mirza wrote:

Islam made it obligatory for Muslims to seek knowledge. The Qur'an inspired Muslims to make great astronomic discoveries, great medical achievements, great political enlightenment to Jews and Christians, and many other things. A lot of times, the Muslim scientists and philosophers combined the Qur'an and their scientific achievements. This book inspired them to make progress that no other people did for centuries, until Isabella and Ferdinand came to power.

Avicenna made great medical and philosophical advancements.. and he was a heretic... and didn't believe that a creator god made any sense at all.... and publicly said how he thought it would be utterly ridiculous to take the Quran literally.

He was practically a scholar of the quran by the time he was out of diapers... but thought it was full of silliness :P

now.. Averroes was a bit more Your kind of guy... though He thought there were different levels of interpretation to take... the Literal interpretation for stupid people who can't understand things.. and need Absolute rules to live by.. then a theological interpretation.. and then above that a Philosophical interpretation...

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:10:31 PM

also.. you haven't said how Islam released europe from the dark ages..

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:15:09 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:09:35 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Avicenna made great medical and philosophical advancements.. and he was a heretic... and didn't believe that a creator god made any sense at all.... and publicly said how he thought it would be utterly ridiculous to take the Quran literally.

He was practically a scholar of the quran by the time he was out of diapers... but thought it was full of silliness :P

now.. Averroes was a bit more Your kind of guy... though He thought there were different levels of interpretation to take... the Literal interpretation for stupid people who can't understand things.. and need Absolute rules to live by.. then a theological interpretation.. and then above that a Philosophical interpretation...
That has nothing to do with what I said, and when I talk about saving Europe from the Dark Ages, that refers quite a lot to the earlier Moors in Al-Andalus.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:16:11 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:10:31 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I already told you that the achievements of the Muslims brought light to Europe, and what inspired and helped Muslims a lot was Islam, particularly the Qur'an. The book "How Islam Created the Modern World" is excellent on the topic, written by a disbeliever, not a Muslim.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:17:48 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:10:31 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

these guy's works were available to European perusal throughout the dark ages..

Europe was busy with lots of Religious philosophy all throughout the dark ages...
it's not like Islamic people stepped in, and the dark ages ended...

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:21:46 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:17:48 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Europe was busy with lots of Religious philosophy all throughout the dark ages...
Europe was busy with corruption and scientific downfall. When Muslims came to Al-Andalus because they were called for help, they established lands of peace, political freedom, religious freedom, scientific prosperity, and many other things. Their works were correlated to the Qur'an, and what they achieved was linked to the Qur'an in many ways. When every part of the world believed in a myth, Muslims analyzed the Qur'an and found inspiration for scientific achievements, hence they brought to the world what no other people did before them. Islam played a huge role in that. Saying it didn't is like saying that knowledge doesn't make us figure out what 2+2 is, because "it's our bodies who figure out what it is."
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:23:26 PM
The middle ages is the only time islam was ever cool.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:27:33 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:23:26 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
The middle ages is the only time islam was ever cool.
Islam is still as great as it always was, except its followers.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:32:40 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:21:46 PM, Mirza wrote:

Europe was busy with corruption and scientific downfall. When Muslims came to Al-Andalus because they were called for help, they established lands of peace, political freedom, religious freedom, scientific prosperity, and many other things. Their works were correlated to the Qur'an, and what they achieved was linked to the Qur'an in many ways. When every part of the world believed in a myth, Muslims analyzed the Qur'an and found inspiration for scientific achievements, hence they brought to the world what no other people did before them. Islam played a huge role in that. Saying it didn't is like saying that knowledge doesn't make us figure out what 2+2 is, because "it's our bodies who figure out what it is."

I didn't say it didn't.. I said you didn't say how it did.

I know they Re-did Spain big time.. but I don't know how that followed through to the general Renaissance throughout europe...

it seems to me like (educated/priestly) europeans had access to islamic scholarship throughout the dark ages.. and that they just didn't care about "science" and the like, as they were basically just trying to live "virtuous/christianly" lives so they could die and go to heaven.

eventually some people began caring about it... and they came out of it. lol..

if you could explain How Islam pulled europe out of the dark ages... it would be nice...

Did Spain's renewal Spread through to other countries?? is that what happened? I don't know..

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:45:21 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:32:40 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 1/29/2011 3:21:46 PM, Mirza wrote:

I didn't say it didn't.. I said you didn't say how it did.

I know they Re-did Spain big time.. but I don't know how that followed through to the general Renaissance throughout europe...

it seems to me like (educated/priestly) europeans had access to islamic scholarship throughout the dark ages.. and that they just didn't care about "science" and the like, as they were basically just trying to live "virtuous/christianly" lives so they could die and go to heaven.

eventually some people began caring about it... and they came out of it. lol..

if you could explain How Islam pulled europe out of the dark ages... it would be nice...

Did Spain's renewal Spread through to other countries?? is that what happened? I don't know..
Islam was the essence of most of the progress. There are books written on the matter of how Muslims got inspiration from the Qur'an to discover medical science and other very noticeable things, such as the Earth being spherical. Muslims leaned on Islamic science.

That being said, the works of Muslims spread through Europe because a little part of Europe was al-Andalus, better known as the current Spain. http://upload.wikimedia.org... Throughout centuries, from the 8th to the 15th, Muslims in Al-Andalus - in fact, from there to near China - achieved prosperity, and their works helped with wise progresses in societies.

But now that it is Europe, when the Enlightenment came to it, a lot of the achievements made by non-Muslims were based on the ideas of Muslims, and they were merely expanded. Muslims established the cores of many achievements, e.g., in physics, chemistry, medicine, astronomy, et cetera. It should be noted that during the Dark Ages, I believe that some Popes condemned the works of Muslims.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:58:01 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:45:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
It should be noted that during the Dark Ages, I believe that some Popes condemned the works of Muslims.

well, yeah.. of course..

there's no need for science to Fix the world of God.

God has planned everything out already.. you don't need to help Providence along.

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 3:59:47 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:58:01 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
It should be noted that during the Dark Ages, I believe that some Popes condemned the works of Muslims.

well, yeah.. of course..

God has planned everything out already.. you don't need to help Providence along.
I think it was because the Christians of those times were intolerant of other religions. Of course, Christians in general are not like that, and they set good examples of friendship and brotherhood with Muslims, too.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 4:03:39 PM
At 1/29/2011 3:59:47 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/29/2011 3:58:01 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

well, yeah.. of course..

I think it was because the Christians of those times were intolerant of other religions. Of course, Christians in general are not like that, and they set good examples of friendship and brotherhood with Muslims, too.

I think it's b/c they were all wrapped up with God... and Providence.. and stuff.

They lived their lives not caring a bit how the world operates.. they were quite sure it operated by the grace of God.. and didn't care for the details.. they Only cared to live in accordance with how god tells them to.

the only "learning" they cared about (other than Bible-learnin) was the Abstract rationalistic thinking to prove god.

They didn't care for science b/c it wasn't necessary to know... the only thing that was necessary was living how god would have you live.

Metaphysics: