Jump to topic:

My Crisis of Faith

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 7:47:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am having (for want of a better term) a crisis of faith. At no point has either my atheism nor my desire for faith been stronger. As I see it I have three choices.

1: Embrace atheism, accept that religion is just childish fantasy and accept the full horror of a Godless universe headlong.

2: Embrace religion, choose one, immerse myself in it fully, pray as sincerly as possible and hope for a spiritual revelation.

3: Accept and come to terms with the fact I don't know, and the fact that if God exists he is probably indifferent to my opinion on the matter and will neither punish nor indeed reward me for it (otherwise God is kinda a dick).

Well just thought I'd share.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:02:33 PM
*lays down a mysterious tiny plastic bag filled with mysterious psychedelic compounds*

It's time for your spirit journey.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:05:58 PM
Er... I mean...

Go for it, yeah, just start studying religions.

Do what I did...

Take a religious text.. Erase from your head all the things that people tell you about said religious text... Then read, and make your own conclusions.

Keep in mind that it might take a few reads for you to make your mind up about something.

Keep an open mind.. But remember, an open mind doesn't mean that you are willing to believe whatever you are told.. An open mind means that you are willing to explore the possibility.

Study religion. No better time than now.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:13:22 PM
I've already studied religions, I mean more sinking myself into one.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:14:05 PM
At 1/29/2011 7:47:18 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

1: Embrace atheism, accept that religion is just childish fantasy and accept the full horror of a Godless universe headlong.

The horror of a Godless universe? I live in a Godless universe and it's pretty decent. I mean, a lot of people have awful lives but that's true regardless.

I can't identify much with a crisis of faith because I was too young to understand what that meant the last time I had any faith. The solution, I think, is to abandon any faith in anything but yourself and what you know. That outlook it anything but bleak; it is the absolute embrace of the world and everything that is real about it.

Too many atheists define themselves too much in terms of what they believe about the spiritual world. I am an atheist, but I don't self identify as such and I wouldn't describe myself as an atheist religiously. I call myself an atheist for practical reasons: I think more religiously passive people need to encouragement and positive example to acknowledge their real beliefs. In terms of my world view, atheism is irrelevant.

Option 3 is probably the best, but it bothers you no doubt because of the inherent uncertainty. It does not answer whatever questions are still bothering you. At the same time, I cannot recommend option 1 because to embrace atheism is to miss the point of what atheism is really about. It's not about embracing anything; it's about having the courage to embrace nothing at all.

This is just my perspective, and I'm doing my best (poorly) to avoid preaching at you. I understand that your views are intelligent and well thought out. However, this "crisis of faith" is something many atheists have talked to me about. I'm past the existential fears that keep atheists (and many believers) awake at night. The solution is to stop wondering about the meaningless questions of what it means to be human, to be mortal, to live in an unloving world, and to start wondering about the all important question of what it means to be you.

That is the end of my sermon. Rest assured, you have set yourself up for many more.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:14:29 PM
At 1/29/2011 8:13:22 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I've already studied religions, I mean more sinking myself into one.

Did any of them have anything at all that made sense to you?
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:20:14 PM
I am having (for want of a better term) a crisis of faith. At no point has either my atheism nor my desire for faith been stronger. As I see it I have three choices.

The fact that you think a Godless existence is literally so horrible is terribly unfortunate, unnecessary and the root of your problem. I'm a "spiritual" person insofar as I am immensely appreciative of my existence, I try to lead a moral life, I try to be a 'good' person and learn everything I can to find truth, etc. I find/give so much meaning in my life and the universe. If I were to tell you my perspective of the world, you would assume I was a theist. The only difference really between my perspective and that of my religious or spiritual friends is that I don't believe there is a conscious being responsible for my existence that I should be praying to... and if there is, it's NOT the Abrahamic god. Have you ever looked into Buddhism? I personally think it's too fluffy but it's a lot better than traditional monotheism and I find it fills a HUGE void with my longly spiritual atheist friends.

2: Embrace religion, choose one, immerse myself in it fully, pray as sincerly as possible and hope for a spiritual revelation.

You could do that, but you cannot force yourself to believe something you don't. You can alter your actions, but in that case you'd just be living a "spiritual" or "moral" life as an atheist... and you can already do that.

3: Accept and come to terms with the fact I don't know, and the fact that if God exists he is probably indifferent to my opinion on the matter and will neither punish nor indeed reward me for it (otherwise God is kinda a dick).

Saying you don't know is responsible. This is obviously the best option you've listed through not the only option. You should keep searching (investigating) which is also responsible. Philosophy is awesome. Have you looked into other alternatives? I mentioned Buddhism -- what about existentialism? It's very romantic. You know, to be honest, one of the things that made me fall madly in love with my girlfriend when we were first getting to know each other was that she made the rational and logical sound like the most romantic and passionate thing ever. She literally made talking about physics and science and math and logic beautiful. Just the way she viewed the world and the way she articulated it during our amazing conversations... ugh. Let me stop lol. <333

What I'm trying to say is that there is something incredibly awesome (and I mean that in the literal sense, as in awe inspiring) about the universe that is so amazing... I'm telling you - you really don't need "god" as much as you think. You can find meaning in a way that is/feels "spiritual" without accepting that master/slave mentality or filling in the blank to unanswered questions with "god" because it's an easy cop out. You can find explanations that are beautiful and truthful without the need for a safety blanket masquerading as a deity.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:22:39 PM
At 1/29/2011 8:05:58 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Er... I mean...

Go for it, yeah, just start studying religions.

Do what I did...

Take a religious text.. Erase from your head all the things that people tell you about said religious text... Then read, and make your own conclusions.

Keep in mind that it might take a few reads for you to make your mind up about something.

Keep an open mind.. But remember, an open mind doesn't mean that you are willing to believe whatever you are told.. An open mind means that you are willing to explore the possibility.

Study religion. No better time than now.

I recommend you start with scientology - it'll make for the most interesting read.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:22:49 PM

How is this even possible? My mind won't allow me to believe in something that it perceives to be untrue. I can't knowingly engage in wishful thinking. How could you think it's false and still be compelled by it?
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:22:58 PM
At 1/29/2011 8:05:58 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:26:49 PM
There is nothing horrifying about a godless universe.

You have a mental problem. You aren't happy, you aren't even content.

Think about why you are not content... Get to the root of it... You can cure your own mental illness, it is simply a matter of awareness.

You have to realize how absurd everything is. How ridiculous it is to take anything too seriously.

These things can't really be explained, you just have to sit down and think about it.. When the revelation comes, you'll sh!t bricks.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:28:24 PM
When the revelation comes, you'll be free in the truest sense of the word, and nothing will get you down.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:32:21 PM
I am having (for want of a better term) a crisis of faith. At no point has either my atheism nor my desire for faith been stronger.

the Buddha: "So, Ananda, you must be lamps unto yourselves. Rely on yourselves, and do not rely on external help. Hold firm to the truth as a lamp and a refuge, and do not look for refuge to anything beside yourselves."
[Digha Nikaya 2,99-100]
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:40:34 PM

There is no such horror to it.

Nothing wrong with that.

That's what I do.

Stop being so serious. That is where your problem comes from. Just do what you want, it's that simple.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:42:51 PM
If you must join a religion, Cosmic Alfonzoism is the way to go though.

If you need information on how you can send me all your money, just give me a PM. XP
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 8:49:13 PM
This comic should help http://www.vgcats.com... . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:00:00 PM

Your smart enough to see the problem 2, your choosing the religion then hopeing its true. The world does not need more people who already know the truth and twist and bend everything to suit their already established beliefs.

Realizing you don't know, sounds like a good step to me.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:02:29 PM
At 1/29/2011 9:00:00 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Your smart enough to see the problem 2, your choosing the religion then hopeing its true. The world does not need more people who already know the truth and twist and bend everything to suit their already established beliefs.

Realizing you don't know, sounds like a good step to me.

As I said . . . http://www.vgcats.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:05:11 PM
Some good responses thanks!
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 10:38:35 PM

I felt godless universe would be kinda scary and sad at first too.

I don't think you would ever feel fulfilled because you would never get rid of your skepticism.

This is what I do. You just come to terms with the fact that we are limited in understanding the universe because we have only our(in comparison to what is out there) weak nervous system. So, you live your life the way you see as the best and hope for the best.

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 11:51:42 PM

I don't understand how you can really choose. Either you see enough evidence for religion or you don't. Answers one and three are one in the same.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:04:39 AM

There's nothing horrible about it. The Universe is inherently meaningless but you can find meaning in your own existence.

What makes you happy C_N?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:42:33 AM
No wonder you are upset... Your perspective towards your atheism is skewed while your perspective towards religion (although I do agree) is also negative. Either way, you are bound to be unhappy and feel like you are letting something go. For you, C_N... I wouldn't tell you to commit yourself to atheism or theism. I think you need liberation of the mind and the ability to find spiritual and/or religious pursuits until you truly understand what you are looking for. You have a hollow conception of theism as of now since your perspective is based on the logical support of a deity instead of what the presence of a deity brings to one's life. You have created many threads asking for explanations about what faith brings, besides the obvious comfort and "meaning". But to truly comprehend the religious ways of any theist, you actually have to erase your preconceptions, ignore the unsubstantiated supernatural which will make your logical side uneasy and accept what the text or traditions are trying to convey.

If you cannot find something which interests you on a profound level, something that actually makes you think and not about the meaningless but about the meaningful, then focus on atheism or even agnosticism. But in all seriousness, I do not see you ever becoming an atheist -- you'll always be a floater, someone who appears to be looking but is not sure why.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 2:42:56 AM
At 1/30/2011 12:42:33 AM, annhasle wrote:
But in all seriousness, I do not see you ever becoming an atheist -- you'll always be a floater, someone who appears to be looking but is not sure why.

he's already an atheist...

I think you've got to get over "inherent meaninglessness" as meaning is ONLY given that you care either way.. and given that you care it's no different if there's a god or not.

you should pursue that which you care about... try not to cling to things which are unattainable.. and try not to get too upset if things don't happen as you would have them... but rather act Given the way things are.

I know that when I've gotten Very upset in the past.. Meditation really helped...

it made me totally accept everything... it's almost like you don't care...though it doesn't leave you angry.. or upset.. just kind of blank..

just sit on a comfortable/firm floor (like carpeting) and sit real straight (maybe with your back against a wall), legs crossed... breathe real regularly, calmly, but kind of with purpose... close your eyes.. and wait for your eyes to start seeing colors :)

you can focus on the lightshow behind your eyelids... and see them change back and forth... all the while you'll forget that you're breathing.. or forget that your following the colors..

also.. thoughts will come into your head... probably about what you're upset about..

let them come, and don't just jettison them.. but try to accept the way it is.. and move on.. to continue breathing/seeing the colors :)

then, eventually... you'll probably reach a point where you really aren't being upset by the thought randomly popping in anymore... and then when you're done meditating you can go about your business w/o being constantly crazy about it ;)

Also.. if you're able to do that just Once with the given thing... then it becomes Soo much easier to get over it the Next time it starts bothering you.. even w/o resorting to meditation again.. as you know you can accept it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 2:46:50 AM
At 1/30/2011 2:42:56 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
it made me totally accept everything... it's almost like you don't care...though it doesn't leave you angry.. or upset.. just kind of blank..

I wouldn't suggest it as how to live your whole life...

but it can be useful as a tool to kind of self regulate negative feelings that get out of control... and I think a little bit regularly might, for some people, allow a bit better perspective too.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 4:10:13 AM

2: Embrace religion, choose one, immerse myself in it fully, pray as sincerely as possible and hope for a spiritual revelation.

Wow, I don't like any of the three options you provide. You put the cart before the horse. Can you click a box that says 'will manually configure'?

What do you seek? What is it that you envy the religious for? Is it personal inner peace? Is it freedom from fear? Are you seeking a more joyful life?

Knowing what little I know of you, I would predict that all three of your options will fail you. It does sound hokey but a little spiritual journey is not a bad idea. It is really a good idea that you not so much embrace religion at first, as much as embracing the concept of a difference between spirituality and religion.

The process of becoming a more spiritual person comes by answering some really basic questions. How well do you know you? Seriously? We lie to ourselves about who we are all day long, and most really don't have a clue as to their true nature and what they are about. Who have you harmed in your life and why? How have you harmed yourself and why? What are your imperfections as a result of looking at these harms caused. What do you think your strengths are? Why do you think this? Write these down, and go back into your life and look at your behavior and be fearless and searching. Start with that, and then you will understand things better.

Your intellectual approach toward God stops you before you give it a shot at working in your life. However, if you make the small leap that there is purpose in existence, in your existence, then you can build from that.

I will guess that this is sort of a wasted post.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 8:09:11 AM

Isn't this your eternal struggle? I recall you putting up one of these threads every once in a while.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 9:50:17 AM

Sounds like you need to ask yourself two very important questions.

1: How would your life be significantly improved by the existence of God?

2: How would your life be significantly worsened by the nonexistence of God?

If you can answer both these questions when considering everyday circumstances, what you would do in terms of your everyday thoughts and opinions.

If you can answer both questions, proceed with choosing a religion.

If you can't, proceed to decide between agonsitcism and atheism.

If you end up in the atheist/agnostic camp, ask yourself this:

Do you believe that mankind, with it's scientific learnings, will ever understand the universe in it's entirity?

If you find yourself answering "yes" then go for atheism.

If "no" go for agnosticism.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:10:28 AM
At 1/29/2011 8:22:49 PM, Freeman wrote:

How is this even possible? My mind won't allow me to believe in something that it perceives to be untrue. I can't knowingly engage in wishful thinking. How could you think it's false and still be compelled by it?

i've often known that i hadn't any weed stashed away in my room that i'd forgotten about but searched regardless lol
signature