Jump to topic:

Religion of Your Significant Other

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:38:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How important is the religion of your bf/gf when trying to find who's a suitable match? It seems that Christians are more rigid and will only go for other Christians (probably true for Muslims too) whereas people of other faiths and no faith at all are a lot less picky. (Of course Atheists can't be too picky because the majority is religious.)

I myself am not too concerned with their religion as long as they're NOT Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, Scientologist, Mormon, or Baptist. I have my reasons.

My preference is Buddhist, Taoist, Catholic, Agnostic, or Christian.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:40:47 PM
Most preferably a Muslim, so that we have all matters settled and there is less confusion about certain issues. Should it be a strong wish, a Jewish or Christian woman would not be a very distant option.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:41:43 PM
Also, list which ones are your dealbreakers and which ones you prefer.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:44:01 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:40:47 PM, Mirza wrote:
Most preferably a Muslim, so that we have all matters settled and there is less confusion about certain issues. Should it be a strong wish, a Jewish or Christian woman would not be a very distant option.

I find that surprising. I don't see how a Christian and a Muslim couple could ever get along.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:46:25 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:44:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I find that surprising. I don't see how a Christian and a Muslim couple could ever get along.
That is not hard or particularly rare. The standards are that the children follow the religion of the father, and the mother is a monotheist per se, because she too believes in God if she is a Jew or Christian. There are marriage contracts which can settle several matters, therefore, should I ever wish to be with a highly virtuous and dear woman, and she happens to be Jew or Christian, then that would not be negative for me.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:48:30 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:38:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
How important is the religion of your bf/gf when trying to find who's a suitable match?:

It's pretty significant. I know of couples where one is an atheist and the other religious, and it causes a lot of dissension. It's kind of like a hardcore republican dating a staunch Democrat... It's bound to come up in conversation, and there's bound to be some heated discussions. People tend to be very impassioned about religion and politics.

And what's the golden rule when you're in the company of dinner guests? You never discuss religion or politics.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:54:19 PM

A Jew? What the heck? You realize a Jewish woman births Jewish children, right? I don't think it would work out, Mirza.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:57:11 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:54:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

A Jew? What the heck? You realize a Jewish woman births Jewish children, right? I don't think it would work out, Mirza.
The standards between inter-religious marriages is that the children get the religion of the father. Islam also respects that, hence a Muslim woman is not allowed to marry a non-Muslim man.

In any case, I would not marry a Jewish woman and discuss things afterwards. Marriage is important, and one of the very good things about it is that it marks the fact that you've gotten to know someone, and have settled different matters. So, we would not be arguing about which religion the child should belong to, since that would be settled before the marriage.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:58:19 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:57:11 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/31/2011 3:54:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

The standards between inter-religious marriages is that the children get the religion of the father. Islam also respects that, hence a Muslim woman is not allowed to marry a non-Muslim man.

In any case, I would not marry a Jewish woman and discuss things afterwards. Marriage is important, and one of the very good things about it is that it marks the fact that you've gotten to know someone, and have settled different matters. So, we would not be arguing about which religion the child should belong to, since that would be settled before the marriage.

Wishful thinking...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:59:02 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:58:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Wishful thinking...
It has been a custom between Muslims and Jews/Christians for centuries. It is nothing new.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:59:33 PM
In principle it is possible for me to date a religious woman (or man), but I don't see myself dating someone who is batsh*t insane. It is in principle possible for someone to hold sane religious beliefs, but it has never been demonstrated. So probably not...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:00:23 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:59:26 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Also, in Judaism, the child is the religion of the female. Sorry...
No, it is of the male - it is considered his seed.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:01:59 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:00:23 PM, Mirza wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. You obviously have no knowledge in Judaism. You may want to know that sort of thing before you make completely ignorant statements.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:03:02 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:01:59 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. You obviously have no knowledge in Judaism. You may want to know that sort of thing before you make completely ignorant statements.
I have to cut the plug for now. If you have the law present somewhere, then cite it here and I will analyze it tomorrow.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:04:03 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:03:02 PM, Mirza wrote:

I have to cut the plug for now. If you have the law present somewhere, then cite it here and I will analyze it tomorrow.

Sorry, I'll let you do your own research. I already know the laws.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:07:25 PM
It's really significant for me. I'd prefer an athiest, but I'm okay with an agnostic.

I guess it really depends on the guy, and what his personal belief system is. It would also depend on whether I'm able to have a civil conversation with him about religion. I would not date a Catholic. Christian-Baptist, maybe. As a rule, I stay clear from dating anyone religious though.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:07:49 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:01:48 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It depends on the degree to which her religious beliefs would manifest or otherwise interfere in our relationship.

Lol, this pretty much explains part of why I chose the dealbreakers and preferences that I did.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:09:01 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:04:03 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Gavin. You're wrong. The religion of child is not determined when he's born; he can't be of any religion technically. And you're committing a logical fallacy. The *only* way for a Jew to be born is if his/her mother is Jewish; meanwhile, just because the mother is Jewish does NOT mean the son/daughter must be Jewish. Making that implication is false.

You're pretty arrogant for someone who is misinformed about their own laws.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:09:46 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:07:25 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's really significant for me. I'd prefer an athiest, but I'm okay with an agnostic.

I guess it really depends on the guy, and what his personal belief system is. It would also depend on whether I'm able to have a civil conversation with him about religion. I would not date a Catholic. Christian-Baptist, maybe. As a rule, I stay clear from dating anyone religious though.

What about a Jewish Atheist?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:12:36 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:07:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/31/2011 4:01:48 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It depends on the degree to which her religious beliefs would manifest or otherwise interfere in our relationship.

Lol, this pretty much explains part of why I chose the dealbreakers and preferences that I did.

"Can't we just do missionary again? I feel dirty and wrong doing those other positions you talked about..."

"WEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL, I'd better be going."
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:13:19 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:09:01 PM, m93samman wrote:

Gavin. You're wrong. The religion of child is not determined when he's born; he can't be of any religion technically. And you're committing a logical fallacy. The *only* way for a Jew to be born is if his/her mother is Jewish; meanwhile, just because the mother is Jewish does NOT mean the son/daughter must be Jewish. Making that implication is false.

Arrogant? Maybe. Misinformed? No. You must be quoting some Islamic mumbo jumbo, but that has nothing to do with Jewish law. In Judaism, the child of a Jewish mother is considered Jewish. No fallacy there. I'm not saying I agree with the law the way it is written, but that IS the way it is written.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:13:26 PM

lol, this made me laugh for some reason. Maybe just the way Mirza worded it.

As for me, I'm pretty open as long as the person is not a militant atheist/anti-theist(just a normal atheist is fine though) or a religious fundamentalist of any faith. I also have an issue with muslims since in many cases the females are expected to convert and I will not convert to islam.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:14:52 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:09:46 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

A Jewish Atheist is nothing but an Atheist. It's like saying "Black Atheist" or "Mexican Atheist." You can't possibly be religiously Jewish AND an Atheist.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:15:26 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:13:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Arrogant? Maybe. Misinformed? No. You must be quoting some Islamic mumbo jumbo, but that has nothing to do with Jewish law. In Judaism, the child of a Jewish mother is considered Jewish. No fallacy there. I'm not saying I agree with the law the way it is written, but that IS the way it is written.

Dude. You just said it yourself- "considered". Because usually, Jews make Jews. But if a marriage contract specifies otherwise, that isn't the case! I don't know how much more clear it can be.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:15:42 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:13:19 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Also, Mirza would still be wrong, even if what you were saying is true, which it is not. So, why don't you let the kid take care of himself? He obviously had no idea what he was talking about, and I called him out. You attempted the same thing, and obviously you both have been misinformed. Not my problem...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:16:02 PM
what if you found some bird whose religion obliged her to spend her life pleasuring her significant other... that'd be fairly cool.. i could deal with that..
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 4:16:24 PM
At 1/31/2011 4:09:46 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

lol Sure, why not.