Jump to topic:

I feel like being inquisitive...

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 8:56:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, I would like theists to summarize why they personally believe in God, and why they would not consider atheism or agnosticism. ????
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:00:34 PM
At 2/6/2011 8:56:52 PM, rogue wrote:
So, I would like theists to summarize why they personally believe in God, and why they would not consider atheism or agnosticism. ????

I've wasted a lot of time on this, they won't bite.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:02:44 PM

Makes more sense, in a nutshell. In all areas.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:10:59 PM

Because God has witnessed to me in a way that makes Her existence undeniable. To consider atheism is to treat reality as the Red Queen did in Alice and Wonderland and make sport of trying to believe the impossible. To consider agnosticism would be to pretend as if I did not know that which I do.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:11:48 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:02:44 PM, jharry wrote:

That's not a reason. That's just stating the blatantly obvious. The question is, how does Theism "make more sense."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:16:28 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:11:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's not a reason. That's just stating the blatantly obvious. The question is, how does Theism "make more sense."

Yes it is a reason. What you've just now done is ask a different question.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:17:50 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:16:28 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

See what I mean? Utterly pointless.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:18:21 PM

All of this came from nothing. All the diversity we see and can't be seen. And it is more of a multiple layered reason. Inquire gave on layer. I gave another. If she doesn't know the reasons she can ask. Even though I doubt this thread was an honest question.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:20:43 PM
Thus far we have evasion and ad hominems.

And we are meant to understand that these muppets believe in God and have reasons to do so?
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:21:18 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:17:50 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I think it's disparaging to criticize someone for answering a question honestly by suggesting they never actually answered it. If you want them to explain their answer, ask another question. But don't be so obtuse suggest that this obviously new question was inherent in the first.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:22:01 PM

False. She asked why Theists believe in God. It's already a given that they think Theism makes more sense. It would be circular to say that you believe in God because it makes more sense.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:23:42 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:22:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

False. She asked why Theists believe in God. It's already a given that they think Theism makes more sense. It would be circular to say that you believe in God because it makes more sense.

That's also demonstrably false. As I don't think that theism necessarily makes more sense, nor do I think it has to.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:24:25 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:21:18 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I think it's disparaging to criticize someone for answering a question honestly by suggesting they never actually answered it. If you want them to explain their answer, ask another question. But don't be so obtuse suggest that this obviously new question was inherent in the first.

Why bother? You are not actually going to answer it are you? You are just going to evade, condescend and get aggressive.

I've asked this question a hundred times, with all manner of variations, whilst being utterly polite and all I get back is crap and so too will rogue.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:24:33 PM

You did ask to summarize. If you would like a ore in depth answer please be so kind to ask. Your thread is being stolen from you for obvious reasons.

By all means, simply ask away.
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:28:09 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:24:25 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Why bother? You are not actually going to answer it are you? You are just going to evade, condescend and get aggressive.

I've asked this question a hundred times, with all manner of variations, whilst being utterly polite and all I get back is crap and so too will rogue.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm being as honest as I can and as straightforward as brevity permits. I can tell you that I don't believe in God because of any number of readily available arguments for Her. I believe because of personal revelation and God's inward witness of the Holy Spirit.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:29:16 PM
Aliens tell you that they are going to wipe your mind, you will retain your basic intelligence, language skills and general knowledge but all memory of your life, your experiences and your religion will be purged. Before they do so they let you write down a list of ten reasons why you believe in God, that will be left in your pocket in an experiment to see if you can convert your future memory wiped self back to religion. What are you ten reasons?

(Variation 113625a)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:32:36 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:29:16 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Aliens tell you that they are going to wipe your mind, you will retain your basic intelligence, language skills and general knowledge but all memory of your life, your experiences and your religion will be purged. Before they do so they let you write down a list of ten reasons why you believe in God, that will be left in your pocket in an experiment to see if you can convert your future memory wiped self back to religion. What are you ten reasons?

(Variation 113625a)

Don't need a list. The list is written in everything around and inside us.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:33:50 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:28:09 PM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 2/6/2011 9:24:25 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm being as honest as I can and as straightforward as brevity permits. I can tell you that I don't believe in God because of any number of readily available arguments for Her. I believe because of personal revelation and God's inward witness of the Holy Spirit.

I was guilty of hyperbole, because that, which has been said before is a valid response. It can not really be entirely denied nor accepted by a third party.

Unless you explain how you feel such personal revalation can be gained.

I apoligise, you have no idea how annoying you religious people are.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:36:43 PM
InquireTruth, most Christians when they are speaking of God say "He" but you have purposely said "Her" multiple times. Is there a specific reason why? Just curious.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:38:38 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:29:16 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

(Variation 113625a)

Ooooooo I like it........

1) Jesus
2) Bible
3) ????
4) Profit
5) Thus God exists
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:38:42 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:33:50 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I was guilty of hyperbole, because that, which has been said before is a valid response. It can not really be entirely denied nor accepted by a third party.

Wow that is a honest open question. Care to explain exactly why you love someone. Reasons that can easily be understood by someone else?

The same goes both ways about atheist people.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:44:41 PM
This is nothing more then the same ol crap, over and over again.

A friend of mine married this woman that I personally can't stand to be around. Everything about her makes my skin crawl. I have searched and found no good in her whatsoever. Your asking the same question when I ask him how on earth he could possible love her. His answer will never completely be understood by me.

The repeated "attempts" are transparent and disgusting.

There is only one answer most will accept here, and until the answer is produced they like or accept all others will be ridiculed, dismissed and seen as lies. It is getting old and very boring.

Rogue, if you have any honest questions pleas feel free to ask.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:47:06 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:38:42 PM, jharry wrote:

Wow that is a honest open question. Care to explain exactly why you love someone. Reasons that can easily be understood by someone else?

Love is a subjective qualitative experience. If that's what you're likening God to, then you don't believe in Him because "it makes more sense" ie. that His existence can be demonstrated by rational argument, but because it feels right. Which is fine, but just be honest about it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:49:33 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:47:06 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Love is a subjective qualitative experience. If that's what you're likening God to, then you don't believe in Him because "it makes more sense" ie. that His existence can be demonstrated by rational argument, but because it feels right. Which is fine, but just be honest about it.

This.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:52:06 PM

No. It is in the explaining part that I was suggesting. Trying to explain exactly why.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:57:29 PM
So, I would like theists to summarize why they personally believe in God,

So many reasons ranging from the mundane to the esoteric. Personal experience, emotions, morality, why there is something rather than nothing, consciousness, rationality, truth, abstracta, etc... The list could be endless.

I have to echo Chesterton when he said defending or listing reasons for belief in something you're entirely convinced of is much harder than defending/listing reasons for something you're only partially convinced of. When you're partially convinced of something you can list a couple of arguments of what lend credence to it; when you're entirely convinced of something everything is an argument for it so to list a couple of things seems to trivialize it or make the case seem weak and disorganized.

"He is only really convinced when he finds that everything proves it. And the more converging reasons he finds pointing to this conviction, the more bewildered he is if asked suddenly to sum them up. Thus, if one asked an ordinary intelligent man, on the spur of the moment, "Why do you prefer civilisation to savagery?" he would look wildly round at object after object, and would only be able to answer vaguely, "Why, there is that bookcase . . . and the coals in the coal-scuttle . . . and pianos . . . and policemen." The whole case for civilisation is that the case for it is complex. It has done so many things. But that very multiplicity of proof which ought to make reply overwhelming makes reply impossible. There is, therefore, about all complete conviction a kind of huge helplessness. The belief is so big that it takes a long time to get it into action. And this hesitation chiefly arises, oddly enough, from an indifference about where one should begin. All roads lead to Rome; which is one reason why many people never get there."

and why they would not consider atheism or agnosticism. ????

Been there, done that. I used to be an atheist. It wasn't for me. I constantly consider atheism/agnosticism in the sense that I often read atheist/agnostic material because I realize I'm not infallible and it's very possible I'm wrong but I've seen no reason to think that I actually am wrong. It's also fun and challenging to read opposing viewpoints.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 9:57:32 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:52:06 PM, jharry wrote:

No. It is in the explaining part that I was suggesting. Trying to explain exactly why.

Please give me some response, I value your opinion and conversations. Thanks.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 10:16:06 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:57:29 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Been there, done that. I used to be an atheist.

+1 Respect, I assumed you were based on your debates.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 10:17:16 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:28:09 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I believe because of personal revelation and God's inward witness of the Holy Spirit.

What does this mean exactly "personal revelation" and "inward witness" ?
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 10:28:06 PM
At 2/6/2011 9:36:43 PM, annhasle wrote:
InquireTruth, most Christians when they are speaking of God say "He" but you have purposely said "Her" multiple times. Is there a specific reason why? Just curious.

Because I have no gender neutral singular pronoun by which to reference God. God is not a he and it sometimes help to affirm that by using other gender pronouns.