Jump to topic:

Evolution Made Us All

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 10:35:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wasn't sure whether I should put this in the science or religion forum. However, given its relation to religious topics, the religious forum seemed more appropriate.

Oh, and by the way, Darwin Day is February 12th.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 10:37:35 PM
stfu
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 10:38:03 PM
Sorry, nothing is more painful than children singing.

Oh, and obvious troll thread. XD
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 10:53:16 PM
At 2/7/2011 10:38:03 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Sorry, nothing is more painful than children singing.

Oh, and obvious troll thread. XD

It's supposed to be funny. It's not a troll thread.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 11:01:10 PM
If evolution is so great how do you explain this?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 11:12:10 PM
At 2/7/2011 11:01:10 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
If evolution is so great how do you explain this?

C_N wins this thread.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 11:12:13 PM
It is funny.

And horrifying.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 11:31:33 PM

And you talk about brain washing the young generation.

Praise DNA? What made DNA? I mean I don't want a scientific answer, but a philosophical one.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 11:51:21 PM
At 2/7/2011 11:31:33 PM, GodSands wrote:

Praise DNA? What made DNA? I mean I don't want a scientific answer, but a philosophical one.

Yea, thats a good point. What did make DNA? Oh I don't want a scientific answer either, even though it's a scientific question. I'd like a culinary one, delivered by someone dressed as a french mime. I'd also like the way they use commas to suggest they have a peanut allergy.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Sangers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2011 11:52:40 PM
At 2/7/2011 11:51:21 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Yea, thats a good point. What did make DNA? Oh I don't want a scientific answer either, even though it's a scientific question. I'd like a culinary one, delivered by someone dressed as a french mime. I'd also like the way they use commas to suggest they have a peanut allergy.

Spagetti :D *yum yum*
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 12:47:26 AM

You've done like 30 debates on Evolution? HAVE YOU LEARNT NOTHING?!
Evolution doesn't explain where life came from. It explains how life gets from one point to another.

Nothing MADE DNA. The theory of Abiogenesis suggests that life began as a chemical reaction.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 1:01:48 AM

You realize the video was a joke, right?

>.<
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 1:16:35 AM
At 2/7/2011 11:51:21 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

WIN.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 2:00:34 AM
At 2/8/2011 1:01:48 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

>.<

Wait, wait... Let's just try to think about this. What would be a good philosophical answer to a clearly scientific question? Hmm...

I know. Necessarily existent agents known as philosophical zombies created DNA. These p-zombies, existing necessarily and unconditionally, were lonely one day, so they set up DNA in such a way so that it could give rise to humans that were capable of asking inane questions that would amuse them.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 6:05:42 AM
Silly rabbit this is science.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:47:48 AM
Why should I care ? I've never understood the fascination people have with cosmology.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 1:39:49 PM
At 2/8/2011 12:47:26 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Evolution doesn't explain where life came from. It explains how life gets from one point to another.

Nothing MADE DNA. The theory of Abiogenesis suggests that life began as a chemical reaction.

I didn't say anything about evolution, I just asked what formed DNA? You've presumed that I think evolution is to do with abiogenesis, but really I said nothing of evolution, I simply asked that question. And now you brought up the topic again, what chemical reaction was this?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 1:47:02 PM
At 2/8/2011 2:00:34 AM, Freeman wrote:

>.<

Wait, wait... Let's just try to think about this. What would be a good philosophical answer to a clearly scientific question? Hmm...

But, to be fair, you think EVERYTHING is a "clearly scientific question". :P :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 1:52:48 PM
At 2/8/2011 2:00:34 AM, Freeman wrote:

>.<

I know. Necessarily existent agents known as philosophical zombies created DNA. These p-zombies, existing necessarily and unconditionally, were lonely one day, so they set up DNA in such a way so that it could give rise to humans that were capable of asking inane questions that would amuse them.

Wait, is this on twin Earth? What if the zombies only created humans so they could hook us up to the Matrix and harvest our energy?
gizmo1650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 4:22:03 PM
At 2/8/2011 1:39:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 2/8/2011 12:47:26 AM, tvellalott wrote:

I didn't say anything about evolution, I just asked what formed DNA? You've presumed that I think evolution is to do with abiogenesis, but really I said nothing of evolution, I simply asked that question. And now you brought up the topic again, what chemical reaction was this?

Actually, DNAwas formed by evolution, it comes from rna, which comes from very simple self replicating molecules.
eball45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 2:52:27 PM
There is nothing simple about our most basic cells. Our cells are developed by and maintain extremely complicated functions. Francis Collins, leader of human genome project, said to sit and read constantly all the information contained in one cell would take like 30 years. Sounds really simple. Probably happened completely by accident (random) over billions of years. What a wonderful coincidence. Or it was a directed process.
eball45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 2:55:00 PM
Evolution and god aren't mutually exclusive. They are one and the same. It's a shame how our society pulls them apart when they fit so nicely together. Read "The Language of God." by Francis Collins. He has more knowledge of biology in his big toe than all of us on this forum.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:01:20 PM
At 2/14/2011 2:55:00 PM, eball45 wrote:
Evolution and god aren't mutually exclusive. They are one and the same. It's a shame how our society pulls them apart when they fit so nicely together. Read "The Language of God." by Francis Collins. He has more knowledge of biology in his big toe than all of us on this forum.

Oh, so you're a Pantheist? That's cool.
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:13:52 PM
What bullsh!t.

100 H20(g) + 200 CO2(g) --> God(s)

^Just like what this topic is like.^
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
eball45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:52:46 PM
No I'm certainly not pantheist. I mean evolution is a directed process. It's not just random accidents over billions of years as the evolutionist theory states. I'm an evolution theist. I'm christian. Many hold this position. Read Francis Collins.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:56:53 PM
At 2/14/2011 3:52:46 PM, eball45 wrote:
No I'm certainly not pantheist. I mean evolution is a directed process. It's not just random accidents over billions of years as the evolutionist theory states. I'm an evolution theist. I'm christian. Many hold this position. Read Francis Collins.

Your position is not entirely irrational, especially considering that the theory of evolution is not merely 'random accidents' over billions of years. I think you have embraced theistic evolution partly to negate a problem that does not exist.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 4:08:25 PM
At 2/14/2011 2:55:00 PM, eball45 wrote:
Evolution and god aren't mutually exclusive. They are one and the same. It's a shame how our society pulls them apart when they fit so nicely together.

Yeah, that's because evolution and God DON'T fit together at all.

Theistic evolution (directed process) is really an incoherent and nonsensical position. Especially when posited in relation to the Christian God.

God created man at the beginning of the Universe (the first 7 days of creation); evolution says man didn't spring into existence until 13 billion years after the Big Bang.

And no amount of twisted interpretation can overturn the absurdity because even if you say the 7 days were metaphorical, it still doesn't change the fact that man came into existence at the end of the timeline, not the beginning like Genesis says. The only way that would be possible is if we were still living in the times of Genesis, but clearly were not because the succeeding events of the Bible have already occured so we can't still be living in Genesis.

You don't see the problem with that?

Read "The Language of God." by Francis Collins. He has more knowledge of biology in his big toe than all of us on this forum.

That's nice.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 4:12:52 PM
"God directs evolution"

Yeah, it's because of God that individuals with traits more suited toward survival and reproduction are more likely to survive and reproduce than individuals without those traits.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 4:19:34 PM
At 2/14/2011 4:12:52 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
"God directs evolution"

Yeah, it's because of God that individuals with traits more suited toward survival and reproduction are more likely to survive and reproduce than individuals without those traits.

LOL. Another good point.

If God directed evolution, then that means he decided to destroy 98% of the known species. What, God can't make up his mind so he had to wipe out the creatures he didn't like? Which is like almost all of them. He's a real fvck up if it really is true that God directed this cruel process of evolution.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 4:40:24 PM
At 2/14/2011 4:19:34 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/14/2011 4:12:52 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
"God directs evolution"

LOL. Another good point.

If God directed evolution, then that means he decided to destroy 98% of the known species. What, God can't make up his mind so he had to wipe out the creatures he didn't like? Which is like almost all of them. He's a real fvck up if it really is true that God directed this cruel process of evolution.

To try and play devils advocate here, we don't know if there is not a concious influence acting upon the evolutionary process. It would not be an omnipotent entity.

It's just that there is no real pressing need to come up with this small limited biological tampering God. Intelligent Evolution, the fourth movement in the evolutionary debate!