interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 3:23:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes or no. Please explain your answer here. Thank you. Why do you, or do you
not belive in God. Some can feel His presence all around, and have seen His
miracles and power, that cannot be explained by science, every day.
Then there are those who do not think that there is a Supreme Being or The Almighty at all.
Tell me please. Do you believe in God ? Thank you.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 3:26:30 PM
Yes I do, but for me it's beyond an explanation. I have also had personal experiences that incline me towards belief in God. I consider myself a weak theist though.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 3:38:01 PM
Depends on how you define god.

I believe in THIS god.

http://www.debate.org...

and it's mysterious hand, the variable unaccounted for.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 3:45:46 PM
"I do not believe that God does not exist... I know for sure." -- Osho

"The only person who can be sure of the existence of a God conjured by their own mind, is the owner of that mind. It doesn't take a member of Mensa to figure that one out." -- Michael Tsarion
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 4:49:22 PM
At 2/9/2011 3:23:41 PM, interrogator wrote:
Then there are those who do not think that there is a Supreme Being or The Almighty at all.

"Do you believe in God" is a meaningless query when put as a stand-alone question. It presumes that others naturally share or psychically know what definition or concept of the Divine you have in mind. One must always preface a conversation about belief in God with an explicitly articulated definition of one's idea of God.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 4:54:51 PM
"Others think that God is free creator of all things; clinging to these foolish notions, there is no awakening." -- the Buddha [Lankavatara Sutra]
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 5:00:46 PM
I believe in a god and my god is a paradox for it is the only logical way to have a god, my god is undoubtedly superior to all others for he is both nothing and something at the same tome and all f your gods can only be something hence refuting your gods existence, but who care I do not I believe in a paradox and you do not, who gives a rats arse.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 5:01:45 PM
That was surprisingly deep, SRW.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 5:32:10 PM
Yes or no.

No.

Please explain your answer here.

I've been given no reason to believe a deity exists. And the evidence brought forward by theists (at least the arguments I have read/talked about) are not substantial enough to persuade me. If anything, the question should be "why must a god exist"? I see no benefit or logic in it -- and such a question has not been answered to my satisfaction.

Thank you.

Your welcome! :)

Why do you, or do you not belive in God.

See above.

Some can feel His presence all around, and have seen His miracles and power, that cannot be explained by science, every day.

I've had some weird experiences -- it just turned out that I was not medicated sufficiently. :P

I would be in that group...

No.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 5:35:24 PM
: At 2/9/2011 5:32:10 PM, annhasle wrote:
Yes or no.

No.

Please explain your answer here.

I've been given no reason to believe a deity exists. And the evidence brought forward by theists (at least the arguments I have read/talked about) are not substantial enough to persuade me. If anything, the question should be "why must a god exist"? I see no benefit or logic in it -- and such a question has not been answered to my satisfaction.

Thank you.

Your welcome! :)

Why do you, or do you not belive in God.

See above.

Some can feel His presence all around, and have seen His miracles and power, that cannot be explained by science, every day.

I've had some weird experiences -- it just turned out that I was not medicated sufficiently. :P

I would be in that group...

No.

You've destroyed the mood. Never mind.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 8:31:02 PM
At 2/9/2011 5:00:46 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I believe in a god and my god is a paradox for it is the only logical way to have a god, my god is undoubtedly superior to all others for he is both nothing and something at the same tome and all of your gods can only be something hence refuting your gods existence, but who cares, I don't. I believe in a paradox and you do not, who gives a rats arse.

Damn dirty typos!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 11:38:28 PM
At 2/9/2011 8:31:02 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I believe in a god and my god is a paradox for it is the only logical way to have a god, my god is undoubtedly superior to all others for he is both nothing and something at the same tome and all of your gods can only be something hence refuting your gods existence, but who cares, I don't. I believe in a paradox and you do not, who gives a rats arse.

Damn dirty typos!

Yeah, what's with this site not allowing one to edit one's post and correct the inevitable occasional typo. I consider this to be an annoying flaw of the site's design.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:16:55 AM
At 2/9/2011 4:49:22 PM, charleslb wrote:

"Do you believe in God" is a meaningless query when put as a stand-alone question. It presumes that others naturally share or psychically know what definition or concept of the Divine you have in mind. One must always preface a conversation about belief in God with an explicitly articulated definition of one's idea of God.

That was, surprisingly, a really good response.
I miss the old members.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:09:32 AM
At 2/10/2011 12:18:12 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Charlesb, do you believe religion is the opiate of the masses like marx did?

It can be of course, but then, as history has shown, Marxism can also be exploited as an "opiate of the people". But then again, religion can also be a stimulant, for personal spiritual growth and progressive social change. And although my avatar is a facetious Marx image this doesn't mean that I'm a Marxist. I've read Marx and found some good insights in his writings, but then so have many liberation theologians in the Roman Catholic Church, finding some value in Marxism doesn't ipso facto make one a card-carrying Marxist who sees no value in religion.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:12:18 AM
At 2/10/2011 3:09:32 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 2/10/2011 12:18:12 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Charlesb, do you believe religion is the opiate of the masses like marx did?

It can be of course, but then, as history has shown, Marxism can also be exploited as an "opiate of the people". But then again, religion can also be a stimulant, for personal spiritual growth and progressive social change. And although my avatar is a facetious Marx image this doesn't mean that I'm a Marxist. I've read Marx and found some good insights in his writings, but then so have many liberation theologians in the Roman Catholic Church, finding some value in Marxism doesn't ipso facto make one a card-carrying Marxist who sees no value in religion.

Seems silly you would have marx as your avatar when you're not a marxist, but then again I have pinochet as mine and I think he was a crazy mass-murdering dictator; it's mainly there as a joke as I got compared to pinochet.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:20:11 AM
I believe in a god and my god is a paradox for it is the only logical way to have a god, my god is undoubtedly superior to all others for he is both nothing and something at the same tome and all f your gods can only be something hence refuting your gods existence, but who care I do not I believe in a paradox and you do not, who gives a rats arse.

HAIL ERIS!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:25:06 AM
At 2/10/2011 8:57:15 AM, else wrote:
How can you prove otherwise.

"You can't prove it doesn't exist" is a horrible reason. Did you know that it is impossible to prove (ie. give positive evidence) that something doesn't exist, with maybe a few exceptions?

Even if it actually doesn't.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:29:51 AM
argument from ignorance.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:37:57 AM
I hate this question. It doesn't matter if people say they believe in God or not because there are innumerable ways that people define God. Last night some girl defined God as the connection all human beings share. Um, that's great but how do we pray to such a connection and thank it for creating the universe? Even though there are a ridiculous amount of interpretations and descriptions, to me "God" has to be a conscious entity responsible for creating the universe -- omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient (and other standard qualities typically attributed). Do I believe such a thing exists? With all those qualities, no. RFD - philosophy (logic and science).
President of DDO
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:11:16 PM
Yes I believe Jesus existed. And thats about it, ohh yeaaa repent and turn to Jesus.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:28:52 PM
At 2/10/2011 10:37:57 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I hate this question. It doesn't matter if people say they believe in God or not because there are innumerable ways that people define God. Last night some girl defined God as the connection all human beings share. Um, that's great but how do we pray to such a connection and thank it for creating the universe? Even though there are a ridiculous amount of interpretations and descriptions, to me "God" has to be a conscious entity responsible for creating the universe -- omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient (and other standard qualities typically attributed). Do I believe such a thing exists? With all those qualities, no. RFD - philosophy (logic and science).

i don't like the way you used the word conscious there as if it implies free will :)
signature