Jump to topic:

"Spreading your religion"

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 10:12:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do some people feel the need to try to force their religions on other people who have no interest in any other belief system?

Please discuss.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 10:26:15 AM
At 2/11/2011 10:12:08 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
Why do some people feel the need to try to force their religions on other people who have no interest in any other belief system?

Please discuss.

I find it very rare that someone tries to force their religion on other people. In fact, I don't think it has ever happened to me or that I have personally witnessed it. I have had people try to convert me on numerous occassions, but that is more a form of debate or attempting to make a case for your beliefs and certainly not having religion forced upon you.

What instances have you encountered where someone had a religion forced upon them?
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 10:28:33 AM
It happens to me all the time and I hate it. I understand that some people are trying to be nice and "save my soul from eternal damnation" as they put it, but it still gets really annoying and I wish they would stop.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 10:37:13 AM
I see the lopsidedness, it's not like there are door to door atheists peddling anti-God.

They don't even force you to learn atheism in public schools do they?
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 10:56:26 AM
It's not just an overt act directed at individuals. People who actively support things like creationism/intelligent design, the "pro life" movement or who are against gay marriage initiatives, or people who rally around topics like the war on Christmas, prayer in schools or the idea that we are (or should be) a Christian nation; these people are trying to force their religion onto everybody.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:39:12 AM
What Tigg said basically. Those are the people who are trying to force religion... especially the whole Christian nation, try to pass religion into law types. Some people believe that by making "Gods law" law, that somehow makes us a more moral country, or puts us on the side of god... Basically, the people who do these things are more misguided than anything.. They basically mean well, but they are terribly misguided, and probably not keepin' it real.

"God's law" is love, and love is one of those things that easily gets lost in the letter of the law. It's really hard to enforce love, and governments are particularly terrible at doing it due to their inflexibility and tendency to get totalitarian in their "love".

On the personal level, I have on a few occasions dealt with violent attempts at conversion...I've been subjected to very ineffective exorcisms against my will. lol

It really depends on what religion we are talking about.. Also, many people have many reasons. If you are a compassionate person, and your religion makes you think that someone is going to hell, you would not like that at all, so you might try harder to convert them. Most reasons are going to be rooted in love, though there are a few I can think of that are rooted in a lack of self confidence.

Live and let live. Live and let die. Die and let live.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:10:00 PM
At 2/11/2011 11:39:12 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
What Tigg said basically. Those are the people who are trying to force religion... especially the whole Christian nation, try to pass religion into law types. Some people believe that by making "Gods law" law, that somehow makes us a more moral country, or puts us on the side of god... Basically, the people who do these things are more misguided than anything.. They basically mean well, but they are terribly misguided, and probably not keepin' it real.

"God's law" is love, and love is one of those things that easily gets lost in the letter of the law. It's really hard to enforce love, and governments are particularly terrible at doing it due to their inflexibility and tendency to get totalitarian in their "love".

On the personal level, I have on a few occasions dealt with violent attempts at conversion...I've been subjected to very ineffective exorcisms against my will. lol

It really depends on what religion we are talking about.. Also, many people have many reasons. If you are a compassionate person, and your religion makes you think that someone is going to hell, you would not like that at all, so you might try harder to convert them. Most reasons are going to be rooted in love, though there are a few I can think of that are rooted in a lack of self confidence.

Live and let live. Live and let die. Die and let live.

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying.

Except I'm not sure I'd say that they "mean well". In their point of view, they may see their actions as leading to a "better way", but they are blissfully willing to sacrifice the rights and liberties of everyone to get there. I don't see this as any different than a mother drowning her children to save them from damnation.

And I didn't mean to imply that individual attempts at brainwashing don't occur. I honestly hope you weren't scarred too much by your ordeals.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:35:38 PM

Please discuss.:

Because they have a Saviour Complex.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:39:21 PM
At 2/11/2011 12:10:00 PM, tigg13 wrote:
Except I'm not sure I'd say that they "mean well". In their point of view, they may see their actions as leading to a "better way", but they are blissfully willing to sacrifice the rights and liberties of everyone to get there.

I never said they weren't stupid.

If you think shallowly about things, just about everything you do with good intentions is going to backfire and do the exact opposite of what you intended.. Even if you don't realize it. ;>.>
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:26:57 PM

Please discuss.

For the age old reason that people will give you advice. Don't tell me you have got advice only when you asked for it.

so why do people give you unwanted advice?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:38:14 PM
Many are sincerely hoping to save other people out of true concern for their immortal soul. Their actual motives are a component of their faith. Then there are people who are somewhat insecure in what they believe and require the affirmation of other people in sustaining their belief system, and of course all those that are both.

So, i'm still in Nicaragua, and have seen Mormons walking about in some of the most remote villages you can imagine. I give them credit, they don't take a cushy road in proselytizing. They stick out even more than i do, with their blond hair, crisp white shirts, and little pack with shoulder straps. I was also invited to an evangelical baptism in some rural setting. As much as i do like seeing other religions practice; i am least comfortable around evangelical services (sorry to those of you who are, nothing personal really).

Personally, i don't give a whit what other people believe, but if someone wants what i have, i am happy to discuss, otherwise - live long and prosper.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:45:39 PM
My religion does not wish to seek converts, if they care they will ask if not then leave them the hell alone.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 2:46:59 PM
At 2/11/2011 2:38:14 PM, innomen wrote:

So, i'm still in Nicaragua, and have seen Mormons walking about in some of the most remote villages you can imagine. I give them credit, they don't take a cushy road in proselytizing. They stick out even more than i do, with their blond hair, crisp white shirts, and little pack with shoulder straps. I was also invited to an evangelical baptism in some rural setting. As much as i do like seeing other religions practice; i am least comfortable around evangelical services (sorry to those of you who are, nothing personal really).

Personally, i don't give a whit what other people believe, but if someone wants what i have, i am happy to discuss, otherwise - live long and prosper.

I'm an ex-Mormon, and I think alot of the missionaries are duty bound as well a having true concern. Live long and prosper!
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:04:38 PM

I really don't see that happening. The religious are trying to do what they see as right, and the nonreligious freak out over it. If we try and start an honest debate, a good deal will simply call us crazy and say we're forcing our faiths upon them. Watch like 20 people quote this and call me an idiot. I guess they're just making my case for me, though.

Please discuss.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:11:19 PM
At 2/11/2011 4:04:38 PM, Charles0103 wrote:

I really don't see that happening. The religious are trying to do what they see as right, and the nonreligious freak out over it. If we try and start an honest debate, a good deal will simply call us crazy and say we're forcing our faiths upon them. Watch like 20 people quote this and call me an idiot. I guess they're just making my case for me, though.

Do you think there is a difference for proselytizing for compassion or for duty?

Please discuss.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:14:33 PM
I'm so against this preaching nonsense. Sure, if people want to share their beliefs, fine. Just don't be telling people that they're going to burn in hell or w/e if they don't accept your beliefs. You can begin preaching to them if they show interest themselves in possibly converting.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:18:08 PM
At 2/11/2011 4:14:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I'm so against this preaching nonsense. Sure, if people want to share their beliefs, fine. Just don't be telling people that they're going to burn in hell or w/e if they don't accept your beliefs. You can begin preaching to them if they show interest themselves in possibly converting.

You will burn in hell unless you convert to "obvious". What is that ? You want a reasonable discussion ? MAY THE GOD OF OBVIOUS HAVE MERCY ON YOU !!! He won'
t hahhahahhahahhahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:20:54 PM
At 2/11/2011 4:18:08 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

You will burn in hell unless you convert to "obvious". What is that ? You want a reasonable discussion ? MAY THE GOD OF OBVIOUS HAVE MERCY ON YOU !!! He won'

Telling people they're going to burn in hell for not accepting Jesus or whatever is so forceful. I have experienced this personally. I once had a friend who would drag me to church and christian youth group(of course I went to keep an open mind and be accepting of other ideas). When I was at the youth group, the entire night it consisted of this one woman trying to convert me by saying I'm going to hell if I don't accept Jesus.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 4:57:41 PM
At 2/11/2011 4:20:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/11/2011 4:18:08 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Telling people they're going to burn in hell for not accepting Jesus or whatever is so forceful. I have experienced this personally. I once had a friend who would drag me to church and christian youth group(of course I went to keep an open mind and be accepting of other ideas). When I was at the youth group, the entire night it consisted of this one woman trying to convert me by saying I'm going to hell if I don't accept Jesus.

You so missed the point that now Im ashamed of being in the same site.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 6:01:22 PM
I sometimes do it for the lulz.

I used to know these Ultra Catholic(Irish) twins. They didn't know much about religion but acted like they did. I'd mess around with them arguing for the royalist, ultra protestant northern Irish perspective. It was also kinda fun calling people heretics, non believers, damned, sh*t was so cash.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 6:50:26 PM

Please discuss.

I think there are multiple motivators for preaching or out-right force:

1. Genuine concern -- I have accepted that many theists are in fact concerned with those around them who are turning their back on something they (the theist) deem to be important and vital to this life and the next (afterlife). It's not that they "pity" us but they are determined to try what ever they can to persuade atheists -- and even though many atheists find that to be annoying, this reason is by far the easiest one for me to accept.

2. Dedication to the Church/Temple/Synagogue -- As a part of a religion, they might feel it is their duty to "spread the word". At the Church I was forced to attend as a child, after the benediction, we always recited: "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord" and then "Thanks be to God" in response. My family saw the "love and serve the Lord" as very important and the response as a promise to serve the Lord. So they always used that as justification to preach to us "hell-bound idiots" (as they so lovingly put it), they truly believed it was their duty.

3. Passion -- Maybe they are concerned and feel it is their duty, but another possibility is passion. Remember as a child, when you learned something new and wanted to share it with everybody? The day I learned how to say "Medulla oblongata" when I was 6, I must have repeated it 100 times to everyone I met. Well, I kind of liken that sense of discovery and joy to what a theist might feel about their God -- they want to share what they have learned since they are amazed themselves.

There are other ones but these three are the most common, IMO.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 6:59:09 PM
I'm so against this preaching nonsense. Sure, if people want to share their beliefs, fine. Just don't be telling people that they're going to burn in hell or w/e if they don't accept your beliefs.

Contradiction. You said it's ok for them to share their beliefs, but not ok to tell them they're going to Hell. The doctrine that says they go to Hell for not accepting their beliefs is part of their beliefs and they are sharing that with you
. If it's ok for them to share their beliefs, then when can't they share their belief in Hell??
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 7:01:35 PM
Go ahead and share your beliefs I say, just don't let it bug you if the other person never believes you.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 7:09:13 PM
At 2/11/2011 7:05:33 PM, badger wrote:
i love if everyone thought the way i wanted them to :)

Doesn't everyone, truely?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 7:10:34 PM
At 2/11/2011 10:26:15 AM, Floid wrote:

Please discuss.

What instances have you encountered where someone had a religion forced upon them?

I was forced to be Roman Catholic by my family and when I finally asserted that I was an atheist, I was disowned. Lol. Some people do have religion forced upon them, but I hope they continue believing what they think is correct. One of the hardest things is pretending to be someone else.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 7:12:42 PM
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!" [Mahaparinibbana Sutta]
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 7:13:56 PM
At 2/11/2011 7:09:13 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Actually, no. I like opposing views. If it weren't for opposing this site wouldn't exist. Plus, everyone would be clones.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 7:16:39 PM
At 2/11/2011 7:13:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/11/2011 7:09:13 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Actually, no. I like opposing views. If it weren't for opposing this site wouldn't exist. Plus, everyone would be clones.

so you wouldn't give up this site for ultimate power...over human..?
signature