Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Another Evolution Q

Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:00:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

Google it. Go to the library.

Seriously it is not a case that the scientific community is now suddenly thinking... "gee dawg, if evoluhshun be da true sh!t how like is there motions man.. dat is whack yo".
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wow you guys are so helpful I don't even know how to thank you. NOT

Thank you to Ore and Godsands for communicating intelligently
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:16:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Wow you guys are so helpful I don't even know how to thank you. NOT

Hold on.

Thank you to Ore and Godsands for communicating intelligently

What?

Anyways, Ore had the right idea in mind; emotions are mainly the result of our social nature. Our body and brain gives us these certain responses (base anger, happiness, sadness, love) by the release of chemicals into our brain that a) governs the actions we take towards others, and b) gives cues to others as to what response their actions have done.

The best way to think of it as emotions being the same sort of thing that make a dog bare his teeth - it's a response to the external stimuli of some other dog treading onto his territory. Emotions cause the dog to get angry, and emotions cue to the other dog that maybe he should just back the fvck off.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:23:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Wow you guys are so helpful I don't even know how to thank you. NOT

Thank you to Ore and Godsands for communicating intelligently

You are 18 years old. If you don't believe in evolution that is fine, if you don't understand evolution you are remedial and should not be here. We have our full quota of creationist trolls. Move on to another site.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:26:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

Well, I'm slightly biased against emotions (as most know) but even I recognize their utility in situations.

Fear -- chemicals are released in the amygdala when faced with a perceived threat of danger or pain. This induces the "fight or flight" response which is purely survival instinct.

Anger -- chemicals are released in the amygdala or frontal lobe when the being feels offended, wronged or denied X, Y or Z. The evolutionary necessity of this emotion is debated but many have attributed it to the "fight or flight" reponse as well, which might have to do with the amygdala being the same response center for both fear and anger.

Happiness -- seratonin is released which causes the "happy feeling". Dopamine may also be released which makes people feel excited. Happiness is by far the most desirable state of mind since it brings stability.

Sadness -- chemicals and hormones are released in the brain for the purpose of substituting the low levels of seratonin. However, at the rapid rate of chemicals and hormones being released, the brain "overloads" which causes us to cry -- tears are released as a form of catharsis.

I think those are the four most important emotions which others sort of branch off of.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:16:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Wow you guys are so helpful I don't even know how to thank you. NOT

Hold on.

Thank you to Ore and Godsands for communicating intelligently

What?

Anyways, Ore had the right idea in mind; emotions are mainly the result of our social nature. Our body and brain gives us these certain responses (base anger, happiness, sadness, love) by the release of chemicals into our brain that a) governs the actions we take towards others, and b) gives cues to others as to what response their actions have done.

The best way to think of it as emotions being the same sort of thing that make a dog bare his teeth - it's a response to the external stimuli of some other dog treading onto his territory. Emotions cause the dog to get angry, and emotions cue to the other dog that maybe he should just back the fvck off.

So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution? That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:34:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:16:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution?

We have a brain which is made entirely of chemical reactions.

That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

Chemicals, man.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:51:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution? That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

It comes in the same way that all evolutionary traits come in - trial and error. All life has always had chemical reactions to external stimuli, and probably when multi-cellular organisms came around, it was very basic - body releases chemicals to let the organism know it needs food, or its time to reproduce, or whatever. As these organisms grew more complex, with more complex needs and greater amounts of social interaction, these chemical reactions grew in response, so it could tell our body how to respond to increasingly different situations.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:55:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
: At 3/7/2011 8:34:59 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:16:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution?

We have a brain which is made entirely of chemical reactions.

That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

Chemicals, man.


Sure, ok, this isn't working. Chemicals in an active brain create different kinds of emotion. But the chemicals in the brain can only be in use while the brain is active. Emotions are chemical reactions in the brain. Of course there is pain which is felt through our nervous system which sends electric impulses throughout our bodies to pick up data to send back to the brain. But excluding nervous impulses, and other brain activity beside emotion, how did emotion begin, what is the genesis of emotion according to evolution? I mean, was there a time where we as creatures had no emotion? Do basic creatures like jellyfish have emotion? I would think not. Well which type of creatures have basic emotional activity in the brain? As if these types of creatures just evolved emotion say, a thousand years ago or something. Is emotion like a package in that you get all the emotions at once like, anger, happiness, love, frustration etc, or do they come one at a time, like you would have this fish in the sea that is angry all of the time about everything or what? So yeah, come on, evaluate, improve or whatever, how did emotion come into existence due to evolution. Give an example perhaps, that would be nice.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 8:57:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
: At 3/7/2011 8:51:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution? That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

It comes in the same way that all evolutionary traits come in - trial and error. All life has always had chemical reactions to external stimuli, and probably when multi-cellular organisms came around, it was very basic - body releases chemicals to let the organism know it needs food, or its time to reproduce, or whatever. As these organisms grew more complex, with more complex needs and greater amounts of social interaction, these chemical reactions grew in response, so it could tell our body how to respond to increasingly different situations.


That's all speculation though right? Yeah you've lost me on this one. Evolution isn't science, it's a philosophy.
Sangers
Posts: 419
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 9:51:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:57:23 PM, GodSands wrote:
: At 3/7/2011 8:51:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution? That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

It comes in the same way that all evolutionary traits come in - trial and error. All life has always had chemical reactions to external stimuli, and probably when multi-cellular organisms came around, it was very basic - body releases chemicals to let the organism know it needs food, or its time to reproduce, or whatever. As these organisms grew more complex, with more complex needs and greater amounts of social interaction, these chemical reactions grew in response, so it could tell our body how to respond to increasingly different situations.


That's all speculation though right? Yeah you've lost me on this one. Evolution isn't science, it's a philosophy.

What? You just lost me
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 12:06:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:57:23 PM, GodSands wrote:
: At 3/7/2011 8:51:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution? That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

It comes in the same way that all evolutionary traits come in - trial and error. All life has always had chemical reactions to external stimuli, and probably when multi-cellular organisms came around, it was very basic - body releases chemicals to let the organism know it needs food, or its time to reproduce, or whatever. As these organisms grew more complex, with more complex needs and greater amounts of social interaction, these chemical reactions grew in response, so it could tell our body how to respond to increasingly different situations.


That's all speculation though right? Yeah you've lost me on this one. Evolution isn't science, it's a philosophy.

Wow, you are truly an uneducated wretch. It's actually disheartening.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 7:36:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:57:23 PM, GodSands wrote:

That's all speculation though right?

No.

Yeah you've lost me on this one. Evolution isn't science, it's a philosophy.

If you say this once you can excuse it by ignorance, if you say it twice in spite of evidence to the contrary it is lying :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The above paper is a study of mutation, selection and gene drift in a geographically isolated population : Estimating levels of gene flow in natural populations - Montgomery Slatkin. Care to read that peer reviewed article and support your assertion that it is not science.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 7:42:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.:

GodSands, how exactly emotions came about is not known and may never be fully known empirically. What we don't do is insert a God of the Gaps as default answer to current unknowns.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 7:44:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 5:19:01 PM, belle wrote:
http://scholar.google.com...

we're not a biology textbook and we're not google. do your own research:

He doesn't want an answer, he's just using the question as a pretext to suggest that in the absence of a clearly defined answer, God must therefore be the cause.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
sal
Posts: 319
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:03:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:00:10 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

Google it. Go to the library.

Seriously it is not a case that the scientific community is now suddenly thinking... "gee dawg, if evoluhshun be da true sh!t how like is there motions man.. dat is whack yo".

If you don't want to answer supply a link.
Or do you think calling someone dumb somehow makes you smart.
sal
Posts: 319
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:07:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:23:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Wow you guys are so helpful I don't even know how to thank you. NOT

Thank you to Ore and Godsands for communicating intelligently

You are 18 years old. If you don't believe in evolution that is fine, if you don't understand evolution you are remedial and should not be here. We have our full quota of creationist trolls. Move on to another site.

If you believe creation is false because evolution is true you should go back to philosophy class. You actually have to think on your own and not just accept just because a scientist said so its got to be true.
Besides for reading the books on evolution was the evidence presented in front of you like the do in math and chemistry or was it just the books say so and the evidence is in the lab?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:32:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

We were social creatures long before we became humans (like many species of monkeys and apes now). Having emotions is benefitial in a social environment (It allows a connection with your fellow animals and so they are less likely to compete against you and more likely to work with you). Therefore, survival of the fittest means that those that connect better have a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes. So those with better emotions are going to have more kids, thus passing those emotion generating genes on (and over generation after generation, well, you know what happens).

If you want any more specifics, ask a biology teacher, or google for research papers. I have the time to give a brief, general description, but not an entire week long, in-depth class on it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 2:37:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/7/2011 8:33:54 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:16:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/7/2011 8:09:51 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Wow you guys are so helpful I don't even know how to thank you. NOT

Hold on.

Thank you to Ore and Godsands for communicating intelligently

What?

Anyways, Ore had the right idea in mind; emotions are mainly the result of our social nature. Our body and brain gives us these certain responses (base anger, happiness, sadness, love) by the release of chemicals into our brain that a) governs the actions we take towards others, and b) gives cues to others as to what response their actions have done.

The best way to think of it as emotions being the same sort of thing that make a dog bare his teeth - it's a response to the external stimuli of some other dog treading onto his territory. Emotions cause the dog to get angry, and emotions cue to the other dog that maybe he should just back the fvck off.

So how did all of these emotions come about through evolution? That's the question, not how does the brain deals with chemicals. And yes I believe that the emotion of love could well be a chemical reaction. So how did emotion come into existence due to evolution?

Because they provide a survival benefit to the individual.
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 3:35:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The question is silly, as is the presumption that science asserts that we know everything. This is one big difference between religion and science: Religion proclaims the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, the earth was created in 6 days, and everything there is to know is found in a book that's been translated and re-translated by sinful man yet remains the untainted word of a deity who dictated its words a few thousand years ago.

Emotions are, as yet, poorly understood, as evidenced by the lack of permanent cures for emotional health issues. It should not be too hard to hypothesize, though; anger, fear, grief and joy can each add to the survivability of a species.

Anger leads one to protect what one values, letting one survive and thrive in one's territory and protecting one's mate and offspring. Fear leads to one escaping situations one is ill-equipped to dal with and thus surviving. Grief leads to valuing the lives of those one loves, as the pain of their being taken (as opposed to not caring if one's loved ones are suddenl killed) leads to an instinct to nurture and protect them. Joy is really a different side to grief, cherishing what one has and helping look after them while they are still here.

I do not have any valid scientific knowledge of emotion and its contribution to evolution, but a simple thought experiment would have me, in the absence of specific science research, thinking the above lines of thought are reasonable explanations
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 4:26:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 2:32:44 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

We were social creatures long before we became humans (like many species of monkeys and apes now). Having emotions is benefitial in a social environment (It allows a connection with your fellow animals and so they are less likely to compete against you and more likely to work with you). Therefore, survival of the fittest means that those that connect better have a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes. So those with better emotions are going to have more kids, thus passing those emotion generating genes on (and over generation after generation, well, you know what happens).

If you want any more specifics, ask a biology teacher, or google for research papers. I have the time to give a brief, general description, but not an entire week long, in-depth class on it.

All of this, the story told above, is what I would call theology or at least philosophy in disguise. It isn't science, there is not mathematical equation to go along with what you said above, but it is merely a thought out piece of literature about the human origins. It is just like theology except that theology is based of ancient writing whereas this is based on empirical science and fact (micro evolution). Even though there is no evidence that follows through to conclude that macro evolution exists.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 4:30:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 3:35:22 PM, PervRat wrote:
The question is silly, as is the presumption that science asserts that we know everything. This is one big difference between religion and science: Religion proclaims the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, the earth was created in 6 days, and everything there is to know is found in a book that's been translated and re-translated by sinful man yet remains the untainted word of a deity who dictated its words a few thousand years ago.

Emotions are, as yet, poorly understood, as evidenced by the lack of permanent cures for emotional health issues. It should not be too hard to hypothesize, though; anger, fear, grief and joy can each add to the survivability of a species.

Anger leads one to protect what one values, letting one survive and thrive in one's territory and protecting one's mate and offspring. Fear leads to one escaping situations one is ill-equipped to deal with and thus surviving. Grief leads to valuing the lives of those one loves, as the pain of their being taken (as opposed to not caring if one's loved ones are suddenly killed) leads to an instinct to nurture and protect them. Joy is really a different side to grief, cherishing what one has and helping look after them while they are still here.

I do not have any valid scientific knowledge of emotion and its contribution to evolution, but a simple thought experiment would have me, in the absence of specific science research, thinking the above lines of thought are reasonable explanations

Or in translation to this - "Hi, I'm an atheist, I believe in evolution and that God does not exist. Ok so let's talk about the Bible." - Translation.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 4:30:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 4:26:51 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/8/2011 2:32:44 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

We were social creatures long before we became humans (like many species of monkeys and apes now). Having emotions is benefitial in a social environment (It allows a connection with your fellow animals and so they are less likely to compete against you and more likely to work with you). Therefore, survival of the fittest means that those that connect better have a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes. So those with better emotions are going to have more kids, thus passing those emotion generating genes on (and over generation after generation, well, you know what happens).

If you want any more specifics, ask a biology teacher, or google for research papers. I have the time to give a brief, general description, but not an entire week long, in-depth class on it.

All of this, the story told above, is what I would call theology or at least philosophy in disguise. It isn't science, there is not mathematical equation to go along with what you said above, but it is merely a thought out piece of literature about the human origins. It is just like theology except that theology is based of ancient writing whereas this is based on empirical science and fact (micro evolution). Even though there is no evidence that follows through to conclude that macro evolution exists.

There is a mathematical fomula for the spread of successful genes after a mutation in a generic sense. And if enough data was available, the exact mathematical numbers would be available in this particular senerio. It's just that we don't have the info to uncover those numbers.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 4:43:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 4:26:51 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/8/2011 2:32:44 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

We were social creatures long before we became humans (like many species of monkeys and apes now). Having emotions is benefitial in a social environment (It allows a connection with your fellow animals and so they are less likely to compete against you and more likely to work with you). Therefore, survival of the fittest means that those that connect better have a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes. So those with better emotions are going to have more kids, thus passing those emotion generating genes on (and over generation after generation, well, you know what happens).

If you want any more specifics, ask a biology teacher, or google for research papers. I have the time to give a brief, general description, but not an entire week long, in-depth class on it.

All of this, the story told above, is what I would call theology or at least philosophy in disguise. It isn't science, there is not mathematical equation to go along with what you said above, but it is merely a thought out piece of literature about the human origins. It is just like theology except that theology is based of ancient writing whereas this is based on empirical science and fact (micro evolution). Even though there is no evidence that follows through to conclude that macro evolution exists.

The problem you, and thousands of others in the anti-science-when-it-doesn't-agree-with-my-worldview brigade; is that saying that Evolution isn't true, and has no evidence over and over and over again not make so.

I don't know if you actually beleive that there is no evidence, or you have just trying to convince yourself; but I would start actually posting something other than vacuous declarations that the evolution is rubbish, and start really disprooving the underlying science.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 4:49:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 4:30:52 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/8/2011 4:26:51 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/8/2011 2:32:44 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 7:51:13 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:28:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 5:15:31 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do we have emotions??
How and why did they come about?

we are social creatures, and so we survive better in social groups. The need for these social groups to stay together (for survival) makes a demand for emotional attachment to other members of the group.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but that answer you just gave doesn't really answer his question. Saying we are social creatures and in that we survive better together doesn't actually answer the question believe it or not. You must justify how emotion came about, by which you can't just explain our current state, but you have to explain the states leading up to our current one. And then you must justify those states leading up to our current one with sufficient evidence to back up your claims.

We were social creatures long before we became humans (like many species of monkeys and apes now). Having emotions is beneficial in a social environment (It allows a connection with your fellow animals and so they are less likely to compete against you and more likely to work with you). Therefore, survival of the fittest means that those that connect better have a better chance of surviving and passing on their genes. So those with better emotions are going to have more kids, thus passing those emotion generating genes on (and over generation after generation, well, you know what happens).

If you want any more specifics, ask a biology teacher, or Google for research papers. I have the time to give a brief, general description, but not an entire week long, in-depth class on it.

All of this, the story told above, is what I would call theology or at least philosophy in disguise. It isn't science, there is not mathematical equation to go along with what you said above, but it is merely a thought out piece of literature about the human origins. It is just like theology except that theology is based of ancient writing whereas this is based on empirical science and fact (micro evolution). Even though there is no evidence that follows through to conclude that macro evolution exists.

There is a mathematical formula for the spread of successful genes after a mutation in a generic sense. And if enough data was available, the exact mathematical numbers would be available in this particular scenario. It's just that we don't have the info to uncover those numbers.

Could you give an example of a positive mutation which will bring brand new genetic data to a particular creature, since it would have to occur in one creature since it is new and uncommon, yet better and more sufficient in relation to survival needs. So yeah just one scientific example of brand new genetic data.

And maths is a universal concept or rather a universal custom that applies to everything. So of course there would be a formula if there was enough knowledge or info, but that's like saying there would be a mathematical formula for God given that we had enough understanding of Him.