Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

James Watson and Francis Crick and DNA

THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 5:29:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In my Biotechnology class we have been reviewing the relatively simple structure of DNA. We also discussed the fact that Watson and Crick stole the ideas of Rosalind Franklin in order to make this double helix structure of Deoxyribose nucleic acid. Do you think they deserve all of the credit?
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 5:43:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Maybe not, but they do derserve credit for affirming the panspermia theory that extraterrestrials seeded life here on Earth and modern scientists are now confirming that there traces in human DNA that have extraterrestrial origins.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 5:45:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 5:43:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Maybe not, but they do derserve credit for affirming the panspermia theory that extraterrestrials seeded life here on Earth and modern scientists are now confirming that there traces in human DNA that have extraterrestrial origins.

When you say extraterrestrials, do you mean intelligent life, or do you simply mean not from Earth?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 5:48:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes their discovery of DNA is not all they have discovered, although there discovery of DNA structure is known by most people due to the fact it is in the simple high school curriculum
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 5:56:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 5:45:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/8/2011 5:43:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Maybe not, but they do derserve credit for affirming the panspermia theory that extraterrestrials seeded life here on Earth and modern scientists are now confirming that there traces in human DNA that have extraterrestrial origins.

When you say extraterrestrials, do you mean intelligent life, or do you simply mean not from Earth?

Both. But "extraterrestrial" merely means "not from Earth" so they're not all necessarily intelligent.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 6:19:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 5:56:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/8/2011 5:45:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/8/2011 5:43:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Maybe not, but they do derserve credit for affirming the panspermia theory that extraterrestrials seeded life here on Earth and modern scientists are now confirming that there traces in human DNA that have extraterrestrial origins.

When you say extraterrestrials, do you mean intelligent life, or do you simply mean not from Earth?

Both. But "extraterrestrial" merely means "not from Earth" so they're not all necessarily intelligent.

I know, I just wanted to know if you were making the leap to assume that it was intelligent life that is the cause of panspermia.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 6:19:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 5:29:38 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
In my Biotechnology class we have been reviewing the relatively simple structure of DNA. We also discussed the fact that Watson and Crick stole the ideas of Rosalind Franklin in order to make this double helix structure of Deoxyribose nucleic acid. Do you think they deserve all of the credit?

In all do fairness, they would've shared the Nobel Prize with her had she not been dead when the Nobel Prize was given out. However, it's not some great secret that her ideas were very important in their discovery. It was still an amazing revolutionary work, and even thought her work was critical to its success, Watson and Crick still played a role in making the discovery.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 6:55:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The fact she was a woman in my opinion is the reason why she is not as known as watson and crick, it was different times back then women did not have a voice as they do today
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
Randall999
Posts: 85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 4:31:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 5:29:38 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
In my Biotechnology class we have been reviewing the relatively simple structure of DNA. We also discussed the fact that Watson and Crick stole the ideas of Rosalind Franklin in order to make this double helix structure of Deoxyribose nucleic acid. Do you think they deserve all of the credit?

You should read the short paperback 'The Double Helix by James Watson', great read, I remember reading it back in college. Watson was not at all who you would have thought. He was as I recall an ecology major or something similar, only got into looking into DNA because of some grant money available, and he spent some of it going down to Italy and skiiing and chasing women. No kidding, it is in the book.

And yeah, their assistant Franklin did most of the got and got minimal credit.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2011 6:56:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/8/2011 5:43:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Maybe not, but they do derserve credit for affirming the panspermia theory that extraterrestrials seeded life here on Earth and modern scientists are now confirming that there traces in human DNA that have extraterrestrial origins.

>.<

only crick endorsed panspermia. and do you have a basis for claiming that portions of DNA have extraterrestrial origins? last i heard it was just precursor molecules such as amino acids or nucleotides... hardly supports the theory that earth was "seeded"

as for Rosalind Franklin, she is frequently credited in bio classes, but as someone mentioned she was dead at the time the nobel prize was given to the so she couldn't recieve it. and although she worked very hard on the project, and it was actually her data that allowed them to crack it, she was adamant that it was NOT a double helix. lol. weird!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 9:54:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Stealing credit isn't uncommon in science. My old bio proff used to tell me that when he was workingon his own project, he had to publish it under HIS professors name, and even though he did all the work, basically most of the credit went to his professor.