Jump to topic:

Nuclear Plants in Japan

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 12:17:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Some little quake or something happened in Japan a few days ago. The big news story, if you've turned on any fox/cnn/msnbc, is nuclear power plants in america.
A 9.0 quake devastates Japan and the american news channels are showing a live interview with George from river-watch telling us how dangerous his local nuclear power plant is to everyone.
Now not forgetting that there are much bigger issues right now I want to point out that a 9.0 quake followed by a 30ft tsunami hit a 30 year old nuclear power plant which still hasn't melted down. Why would we put the breaks on new nuclear power plants?
The most current functioning nuclear power plants in America are nearing 40 years old, it's time to build some new ones.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 12:40:10 PM
I think it is worth mentioning, that the nuclear plants in Japan did fine through the earthquake. It was the tsunami that hit an hour later that shutdown their backup diesel generators.

It is also worth saying, that so far, 2 of the reactors have had to be shutdown by pumping seawater into them, thus scraping them (as the salt form the seawater ruins the reactors), but no real damage has occured. Some radiation has been released intentionally to relieve pressure, and only 1 person officially has gotten sick and no deaths or serious injuries.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 1:00:18 PM
Well, I'd personally like to see more research being done for fusion plants, though fission are still very useful and provide a massive amount of energy.
kowalskil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:00:40 PM
At 3/14/2011 12:17:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Some little quake or something happened in Japan a few days ago. The big news story, if you've turned on any fox/cnn/msnbc, is nuclear power plants in america.
A 9.0 quake devastates Japan and the american news channels are showing a live interview with George from river-watch telling us how dangerous his local nuclear power plant is to everyone.
Now not forgetting that there are much bigger issues right now I want to point out that a 9.0 quake followed by a 30ft tsunami hit a 30 year old nuclear power plant which still hasn't melted down. Why would we put the breaks on new nuclear power plants?
The most current functioning nuclear power plants in America are nearing 40 years old, it's time to build some new ones.

Their nuclear power plants were designed for up to 8.5 R earthquakes, not 8.9

Ludwik
Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality." <http://csam.montclair.edu...

http://csam.montclair.edu...

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience is. Please share the link with those who might be interested, especially with youn
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:03:12 PM
At 3/14/2011 1:00:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
Well, I'd personally like to see more research being done for fusion plants, though fission are still very useful and provide a massive amount of energy.

THIS!!!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:05:53 PM
At 3/14/2011 6:00:40 PM, kowalskil wrote:
At 3/14/2011 12:17:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Ludwik

Yeah, and the fact that they were 30+ years old, and withstood an earthquake more than 2x the strength that they were designed for, seems to show how safe they actually are.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 6:30:44 PM
At 3/14/2011 6:00:40 PM, kowalskil wrote:

Ludwik

Did someone say the plants were designed for an 8.9?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 11:52:43 PM

this. also no doubt there is plenty of research going on but its been entirely unsuccessful, so thats why we don't hear about it lol. also, its hard to get people to spend money on a thing like that when you don't even have a reasonable proof of concept.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 10:27:08 AM
At 3/15/2011 1:57:08 AM, Puck wrote:
On the plus side we can now expect gigantic radioactive mutant monsters to terrorise Tokyo.

I know, they no longer have to use a man in a rubber suit.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 10:35:29 AM
At 3/14/2011 11:52:43 PM, belle wrote:

this. also no doubt there is plenty of research going on but its been entirely unsuccessful, so thats why we don't hear about it lol. also, its hard to get people to spend money on a thing like that when you don't even have a reasonable proof of concept.

I think you are thinking of "cold fusion" when you say "don't even have a reasonable proof of concept," I don't think squat of cold fusion, but actual fusion is something that we do have proof of concept as we've been using it since the 50's. Mostly in really really big bombs, but still using it. We also have the sun as a proof of concept. But right now we actually have reactors which have been able to sustain fusion reaction for about 1 sec (Ooooo... that's amaizing). The ITER is set to build a reactor in Europe by 2018 which is suppose to actually be energy efficient (gets more energy out of the system, than was put into it to start the reaction). After that, we will move on to DEMO, which will go for trying to maintain the fusion reaction for an extended period of time (the goal is over 8 minutes).

The problem is that fusion has so much energy in it, that containing it and harnessing that power isn't the simplest thing to do, but then, I'm sure people thought that when we were first tinkering with a combustion engine.