Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Famous Scientists

Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 12:35:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, and George Washington Carver, James Prescott Joule, Anton van Leeuwenhoek, Isaac Newton, Nicholas Copernicus, Rene Descartes, Max Planck.
So what do all of these scientists have in common?
They all believed in Jesus as their savior or in other words believed in God. So I always here you guys spittin out crap about if you christians were educated in science then you wouldn't believe in God and you guys are just ignorant and all that jazz. So my question is What about these guys? Please explain them to me. They are as educated as it gets.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 12:39:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This should be in the religion section, as it isn't about science, but scientists who were christian.

by the way, it is easier to get ignore stupid claims like "if you knew science, you wouldn't believe in a god." It'll help your blood pressure in the long run.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2011 6:23:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 12:35:13 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, and George Washington Carver, James Prescott Joule, Anton van Leeuwenhoek, Isaac Newton, Nicholas Copernicus, Rene Descartes, Max Planck.
So what do all of these scientists have in common?

Another interesting thing is that most all of them were from the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries which is at the very beginning of the scientific revolution. In other words, they didn't have access to the bigger picture that science started to bring in the 19th and 20th century.

Given that all most all scientist of equal stature from later periods drifted away from religious belief raises the very real posibility that should these great thinkers had access to the same information as later scientist that their views may have been different.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 12:54:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thats pure speculation
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 6:47:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You claimed that those scientists were "as educated as it gets" when in fact they were not even close. They were geniuses without a doubt, but I have more scientific knowledge than almost any of them (Planck probably being the only exception given he was from the early 20th century). In fact, anyone with an undergraduate degree in some scientific field has more scientific knowledge than most of them combined.

So the whole basis of your suggestion is false to begin with... those scientist were first class thinkers who had very little to apply they knowledge towards. They were educated by the standards of their time when people still though the sun revolved around the Earth, diseases were caused by afflictions from God and the Devil, etc.
By todays standards a high school student could sit down and teach them science.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 9:48:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/16/2011 12:39:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
This should be in the religion section, as it isn't about science, but scientists who were christian.

by the way, it is easier to get ignore stupid claims like "if you knew science, you wouldn't believe in a god." It'll help your blood pressure in the long run.

This.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 11:22:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/17/2011 6:47:00 AM, Floid wrote:
You claimed that those scientists were "as educated as it gets" when in fact they were not even close. They were geniuses without a doubt, but I have more scientific knowledge than almost any of them (Planck probably being the only exception given he was from the early 20th century). In fact, anyone with an undergraduate degree in some scientific field has more scientific knowledge than most of them combined.

So the whole basis of your suggestion is false to begin with... those scientist were first class thinkers who had very little to apply they knowledge towards. They were educated by the standards of their time when people still though the sun revolved around the Earth, diseases were caused by afflictions from God and the Devil, etc.
By todays standards a high school student could sit down and teach them science.

Not, really. It takes far more scientific knowledge to be able to figure something out, than it does to simply be taught it by someone else. If they were alive today, you'd be smarter than them for about 3 weeks, until they read up on all the current scientific theories and blew past you in total knowledge.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 12:08:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Not, really. It takes far more scientific knowledge to be able to figure something out than it does to simply be taught it by someone else.

No, it takes far more ingenuity and intelligence to figure something out. Without a doubt those scientist were some of the brightest people to ever live. Someone who has no ability other than memorization can gain a phenomenal amount of scientific knowledge. Knowledge can be taught, ingenuity can not.

If they were alive today, you'd be smarter than them for about 3 weeks, until they read up on all the current scientific theories and blew past you in total knowledge.

True, but that is irrelevant to what is being discussed.
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 12:10:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If they were alive today, you'd be smarter than them for about 3 weeks, until they read up on all the current scientific theories and blew past you in total knowledge.

And now that I reread again I slightly mispoke.

They are smarter than me period. But what we are discussing here is knowledge (what one has learned) and not smart (the ability to learn). If they were alive today, I would have more scientific knowledge than them for about 3 weeks. They would be smarter from the get go.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:29:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was spiritual, not religious.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:34:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:29:01 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was spiritual, not religious.

LMFAO!!! sorry if that wasn't a joke, but comparing einstein to hippie 17 year olds in my head...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:34:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:34:02 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:29:01 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was spiritual, not religious.

LMFAO!!! sorry if that wasn't a joke, but comparing einstein to hippie 17 year olds in my head...

Well, he wasn't spiritual in THAT way (as far as I know).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:46:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:44:54 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Einstein was sort of a panentheist.

Yea, but he wasn't a frying panehtheist!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:49:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was against Crusading atheism; so are a lot of people, but he also did not beleive in God; in any meaningful sense of the word.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:51:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:49:58 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was against Crusading atheism; so are a lot of people, but he also did not beleive in God; in any meaningful sense of the word.

Pantheism is a meaningful sense of the word.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:51:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:44:54 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Also, OP is a moron.

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL !!!!!! LOL! LOL! OL!OL!OL!!OL!OOJEO!EJO!JE
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:55:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:51:45 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:49:58 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was against Crusading atheism; so are a lot of people, but he also did not beleive in God; in any meaningful sense of the word.

Pantheism is a meaningful sense of the word.

Not pantheism, panentheism. The "God" of the panentheists really isn't anything like "God" as he is typically understood in the West.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 3:59:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:55:23 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:51:45 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:49:58 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

He was against Crusading atheism; so are a lot of people, but he also did not beleive in God; in any meaningful sense of the word.

Pantheism is a meaningful sense of the word.

Not pantheism, panentheism. The "God" of the panentheists really isn't anything like "God" as he is typically understood in the West.

They are both very similar (though not identical). And while true, they are not common in the west, they actually have similarities with most religions (in that God is in all places at all times).

Just going different ways (one says God is the whole universe, the other says the whole universe is God).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 4:00:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:51:56 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
At 3/18/2011 3:44:54 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Also, OP is a moron.

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL !!!!!! LOL! LOL! OL!OL!OL!!OL!OOJEO!EJO!JE

Yes, you're an illiterate tool with bad spelling and horrendous grammar. Anyone who takes the Biblical creation narrative literally is either a charlatan or an idiot, and you're not a charlatan. Listing off a series of 18th century scientists who believed in God does not vindicate modern Christian belief any more than listing off a series of brilliant pre-Copernican thinkers vindicates the geocentric model of the solar system.

Please debate me on the existence of God.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 4:06:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't have time for formal debates, Just give me your reasons right here
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 4:08:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 4:06:45 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
I can't defend my position in a real debate

nonetheless, you shouldn't make assertions unless you're willing to defend them.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 4:13:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'll defend them
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 4:18:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 4:17:45 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/18/2011 4:13:11 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
I'll defend them

Then debate me.

Or me.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 4:18:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 4:06:45 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
I don't have time for formal debates.

This is DEBATE.org. If you're not going to debate, why are you here?
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2011 10:52:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Sorry to break this to you, but that was Albert Einstein "condemning" the views of religious people. He called the idea of a persoanl God a "childlike one"... i.e. Christianity, Islam, Judaism are childish.

Saying "I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist" means that he doesn't feel the need to persuade anyone against their religious beliefs. Not exactly condemning "the idea of Atheism".

I would suggest reading back over the quote a few times and trying to break it into parts and understand that it is:

1.) A knock at your own point of view by both calling your religion childlike and claiming that religions indoctrinate people.

2.) A statement that although Einstein finds the religions childish, he doesn't feel the need to actively persuade people like "professional atheist" (in modern times this would be your Dawkins, Hitchens, etc).
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2011 7:08:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 3:20:36 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Even Albert Einstein condemned the idea of Atheism, surely you can't tell me he didn't have access to todays theories

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Albert Einstein)

Although he was against organized and personal religion he was by no means an atheist

Why can't you read?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 1:06:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Johannes Kepler, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, and George Washington Carver, James Prescott Joule, Anton van Leeuwenhoek, Isaac Newton, Nicholas Copernicus, Rene Descartes, Max Planck.
So what do all of these scientists have in common?"


Their all guys???
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)