FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:46:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/19/2011 4:34:01 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Food you buy at wal-mart is radiated to kill germs :o

Yes, and killing is what it is good for.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:50:14 AM
Yeah, I heard (I can't provide evidence though) that because McDonalds burgers are produced on such a massive scale, that some percentage of fecal matter gets through and thus all burgers are irradiated to kill potential ecoli and other assorted nasties.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 4:57:43 AM
Although radiation may cause cancers at high doses and high dose rates, currently there are no data to establish unequivocally the occurrence of cancer following exposure to low doses and dose rates – below about 10,000 mrem (100 mSv). Those people living in areas having high levels of background radiation – above 1,000 mrem (10 mSv) per year – such as Denver, Colorado, have shown no adverse biological effects.

http://www.nrc.gov...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 5:10:33 AM
The NRC takes a 'leap of faith' that the LNT is correct! Even though they have not been able to draw any data from exposure levels below 10,000 millirem.

A linear, no-threshold (LNT) dose response relationship is used to describe the relationship between radiation dose and the occurrence of cancer. This dose-response hypothesis suggests that any increase in dose, no matter how small, results in an incremental increase in risk. The LNT hypothesis is accepted by the NRC as a conservative model for determining radiation dose standards, recognizing that the model may over estimate radiation risk.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 10:05:35 PM
At 3/19/2011 4:50:14 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Yeah, I heard (I can't provide evidence though) that because McDonalds burgers are produced on such a massive scale, that some percentage of fecal matter gets through and thus all burgers are irradiated to kill potential ecoli and other assorted nasties.

HAHAHA tv! Let me school you into something.

First, I want you to take a nice, deep breath. Done? OK. If you're indoors, then you just inhaled dust, pollen, mold, bacteria, viruses, and bits of urine, dead skin, feces, saliva, and pet dander (provided you have pets).

To say that "some percentage of fecal matter gets through" really says nothing. Even the most well-prepared meal will have "some percentage of... assorted nasties." If you want to provide a solid number which is high enough for us to be concerned about, then perhaps we have something to discuss.
kfc