Total Posts:102|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Evidence For A Solid Earth?

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:27:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What evidence is there that the Earth is solid all the way through and not hollow?

All of our science text books show all of the inner layers of the Earth as if it's fact, but it is pure speculation!

To assert a solid Earth is to deny the fact that:

The Earth rings hollow when struck with meteors.

There's NASA pictures of a hole at the South Pole which leads to hollow earth.

The planet must be hollow due to centrifugal force of the interior.

And why does Google Earth and other virtual software of planets like Jupiter blur out each pole as if it were hiding something?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:39:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:33:51 PM, OreEle wrote:
please tell me you are joking.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that the Earth is in fact filled with solid rock.

You're making the positive assertion assuming you have faith in the solid Earth theory.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:43:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:27:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
What evidence is there that the Earth is solid all the way through and not hollow?

All of our science text books show all of the inner layers of the Earth as if it's fact, but it is pure speculation!

To assert a solid Earth is to deny the fact that:

The Earth rings hollow when struck with meteors.

Evidence?


There's NASA pictures of a hole at the South Pole which leads to hollow earth.

Evidence?


The planet must be hollow due to centrifugal force of the interior.

Wrong, the closer one gets to the center of a rotating object, the less centrifugal force there is.

Also, the spinning causes the Earth to be oblong (wider than taller) as is viewed with every planet (but most notably with Saturn and Jupiter).

Also (again), the centrifugal force is not enough to overcome the force of gravity (if it was, we'd be flung from the serface of the earth).

We can calculate the acceleration based on centrifugal force for the earth as 0.0367 m/s^2 while the acceleration from gravity is 9.81 m/s^2, which is about 267.3 times more powerful.


And why does Google Earth and other virtual software of planets like Jupiter blur out each pole as if it were hiding something?

Examples? The reason is probably different depending on the planet, so I'll respond to different examples.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:44:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:39:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:33:51 PM, OreEle wrote:
please tell me you are joking.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that the Earth is in fact filled with solid rock.

You're making the positive assertion assuming you have faith in the solid Earth theory.

no, the burden of proof is on whoever is trying to change people's minds. If you want people to stop believing in a solid earth, than you need to convince them. Personally, I don't care too much about convincing you, so I'm only going to put minimal effort into it. And if you have no evidence for your claims, then there is nothing really to do.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:45:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:27:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
What evidence is there that the Earth is solid all the way through and not hollow?

Oh, I dunno...gravity, volcanic activity, plate tectonics, seismology, our understanding of how planets are formed...

All of our science text books show all of the inner layers of the Earth as if it's fact, but it is pure speculation!

To assert a solid Earth is to deny the fact that:

The Earth rings hollow when struck with meteors.

Evidence?

There's NASA pictures of a hole at the South Pole which leads to hollow earth.

Uhh, hate to break it to you, but there's actually a research station there: http://en.wikipedia.org... We have pictures. Around 1,300 people have actually spent the winter there since 1957, not to mention the thousands of others who have just visited.

The planet must be hollow due to centrifugal force of the interior.

Er, you must have an "unorthodox" understanding of gravity...

And why does Google Earth and other virtual software of planets like Jupiter blur out each pole as if it were hiding something?

Because Santa is there, duh. We can't blow his cover.

Where do the presents come from? Huh? Riddle me that, Geo! What's that? Your parents bought them? Oh sure, that's what they want you to think...
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:56:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If the Earth were hollow, it would be considerably less massive. How, then, would you explain that the force of gravity corresponds to the mass of a solid Earth? Has the density of the rock comprising the planet been grossly underestimated? Is the universal gravitation constant totally wrong? Neither possibility seems likely.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 4:59:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anyone with a basic understanding of how planets form understands why the earth formed as a solid ball. In addition, the mass of the earth has been determined by measuring its gravitational exertion on other objects - it isn't consistent with a hollow earth.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:00:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?

Because the lizard people live down there, obviously.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:03:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?

- The government bases stationed inside.

- The inhabitable lands.

- The UFOs that fly in and out of hollow Earth.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:05:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:03:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
- The government bases stationed inside.

- The inhabitable lands.

- The UFOs that fly in and out of hollow Earth.

I lol'd.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:05:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:03:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?

- The government bases stationed inside.

- The inhabitable lands.

- The UFOs that fly in and out of hollow Earth.

Probably my favorite one out of that list, tbh.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:07:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:03:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?

- The government bases stationed inside.

- The inhabitable lands.

- The UFOs that fly in and out of hollow Earth.

So no comments on the actual evidence that your claim is BS? Just skip to some random comment?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:09:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:39:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:33:51 PM, OreEle wrote:
please tell me you are joking.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that the Earth is in fact filled with solid rock.


Lol I love when people throw around the words "burden", "of", and "proof" like they know what they mean when you put them together.

Also, lol @J.Kenyon. 10/10
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:10:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:59:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Anyone with a basic understanding of how planets form understands why the earth formed as a solid ball. In addition, the mass of the earth has been determined by measuring its gravitational exertion on other objects - it isn't consistent with a hollow earth.

This ignores the reality of quantum vacuum cosmology, electric universe theory, and the fact that gravity isn't even fully understood nor explained.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:15:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:07:22 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/19/2011 5:03:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?

- The government bases stationed inside.

- The inhabitable lands.

- The UFOs that fly in and out of hollow Earth.

So no comments on the actual evidence that your claim is BS? Just skip to some random comment?

I didn't skip to a random comment, I skipped to a comment that I could easily respond to on my iPod as it's rather difficult to outline all the evidence and paste links with this device.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:17:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 4:43:24 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:27:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The planet must be hollow due to centrifugal force of the interior.

Wrong, the closer one gets to the center of a rotating object, the less centrifugal force there is.

Also, the spinning causes the Earth to be oblong (wider than taller) as is viewed with every planet (but most notably with Saturn and Jupiter).

Also (again), the centrifugal force is not enough to overcome the force of gravity (if it was, we'd be flung from the serface of the earth).

We can calculate the acceleration based on centrifugal force for the earth as 0.0367 m/s^2 while the acceleration from gravity is 9.81 m/s^2, which is about 267.3 times more powerful.

I'm going to expand upon this, not because I believe that your argument is strong enough that it merits a fuller scientific responce, but simply because I like physics and math and number crunching.

Something that we know about gravity, is that it pulls towards the center of an object (from any surface on earth, towards the center of earth). Something we know about centrifugal force (I know it is not a real force, but we'll work with it), is that it pushes out from the axis of rotation.

So Centrifugal force pushes from a line, while gravity pulls towards a point.

This means that the gravity at the North Pole is about the same ("about" not exactly) as it is at the equator. However the centrifugal force at the North Pole is... zero. There is none.

So let us "assume" that the Earth is hollow. This means that at the NP, there is the force of gravity pushing the Earth down, and no centrifugal force acting on it. So the NP would be collapsing in on itself (as would the SP).

What we would actually see is something like throwing a ball of dough in the air and spinning it (like making a pizza). The ball of dough does not make a hollow sphere, but flattens into a disk (basically, the edges are pulled out, and the top and bottom cave into the center), then if the rotation is great enough, the disk will form a ring (still, not a hollow sphere). And than still, fast enough, and it will tear apart and go flying in various directions.

But at no point, under the laws of physics, would it form a hollow sphere
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:27:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:10:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:59:14 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Anyone with a basic understanding of how planets form understands why the earth formed as a solid ball. In addition, the mass of the earth has been determined by measuring its gravitational exertion on other objects - it isn't consistent with a hollow earth.

This ignores the reality of quantum vacuum cosmology,

Not related to the formation of planets, nor centrifugal force, not the none quantum world in general.

electric universe theory,

A theory with no real merit, nor any relation to a hollow earth "theory."

and the fact that gravity isn't even fully understood nor explained.

Doesn't matter, we know enough to be able to calculate basic forces at play.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 5:44:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Earth is not hollow. If it were so, then thousands of scientific books would have to be... Thrown in the can. This is not merely a question of whether or not the Earth is hollow. It is a deep question. Start with something more basic. Can we live without a magnetic field? No. What causes the magnetic field to be there? The outer liquid core. Where is it located? Near the center of the Earth. Hollow? I think not.
omelet
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 7:22:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. We know how much the earth weighs. This is because we know its gravitational force and we know the distance we are from its center of mass, and we know the gravitational equations. The weight of the earth is far too large for the earth to be hollow. The earth is the densest planet in the solar system, and it's actually denser than it would be if it was made of solid rock the entire way through (this is because the iron core is heavier than rock). A hollow earth, even made entirely of heavy metals, would not be nearly as heavy as earth actually is.

2. The earth produces a strong magnetic field. This is caused by its rotating iron core. A hollow earth would not produce this field.

3. A hollow planet of the size and weight of the earth would literally collapse into itself from the force of gravity and become a smaller, solid planet.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 11:36:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:17:19 PM, OreEle wrote:

But at no point, under the laws of physics, would it form a hollow sphere

It would if there were aliens inside of it with inverted gravity fields.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 11:43:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:03:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/19/2011 4:56:39 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Why would there be a conspiracy to cover up the Earth being hollow? What does anyone have to gain from tricking people into thinking it's full when it isn't? If X group secretly controls the banks/government/etc, then the incentive for the conspiracy is obvious--money and power. Why would anyone care about this?

- The government bases stationed inside.

- The inhabitable lands.

- The UFOs that fly in and out of hollow Earth.

lol Is this for real?
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 11:43:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 5:10:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This ignores the reality of quantum vacuum cosmology, electric universe theory, and the fact that gravity isn't even fully understood nor explained.

Read some actual peer reviewed journals and participate in learning which has been subject to educational accreditation.

There is considerable debate if the variances seen in current theories of gravity and observation are best explained by dark matter or direct perturbations to the theory.

-however-

There is no debate that the mass calculations of the earth are subject to variance by the orders of magnitude necessary to justify a hollow earth.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 11:49:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 7:22:48 PM, omelet wrote:

1. We know how much the earth weighs.

Aliens inside the earth are really fat.

2. The earth produces a strong magnetic field. This is caused by its rotating iron core. A hollow earth would not produce this field.

Aliens inside the earth have a multipole generator.

3. A hollow planet of the size and weight of the earth would literally collapse into itself from the force of gravity and become a smaller, solid planet.

Aliens inside the earth use EM repulsion to stabilize the shell.

Get the pattern, if you are willing to believe ridiculous things there is no scenario you can not rationalize.

That being said, hollow earth was a staple of earth pulps, Tarzan and company had many adventures there.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 11:55:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/19/2011 11:49:08 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 4/19/2011 7:22:48 PM, omelet wrote:

1. We know how much the earth weighs.

Aliens inside the earth are really fat.

2. The earth produces a strong magnetic field. This is caused by its rotating iron core. A hollow earth would not produce this field.

Aliens inside the earth have a multipole generator.

3. A hollow planet of the size and weight of the earth would literally collapse into itself from the force of gravity and become a smaller, solid planet.

Aliens inside the earth use EM repulsion to stabilize the shell.

That would require the Earth to be largely metal, and the "aliens" (which wouldn't really be aliens, I mean, they were here for billions of years, they've been here longer than us) would have a bloody hard time operating in close to the field. And we would feel the effects outside of the shell, and feel it greatly.


Get the pattern, if you are willing to believe ridiculous things there is no scenario you can not rationalize.

That being said, hollow earth was a staple of earth pulps, Tarzan and company had many adventures there.

oh, I get it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:01:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I see a lot of mentioning of problems with the magnetic field of the earth due to a lack of a liquid metalic core. However, there is indeed a core in the hollow earth according to accepted Hollow Earth theory!

See illustration of hollow earth here: http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:06:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
geo, are you trying to prove a point? because you've pretty much been pwned by oreele backwards and forwards. yay physics! (for the sake of this thread i am suspending my hatred of physics)

if theres a point get to it
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:11:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/20/2011 12:06:14 AM, belle wrote:
geo, are you trying to prove a point? because you've pretty much been pwned by oreele backwards and forwards. yay physics! (for the sake of this thread i am suspending my hatred of physics)

if theres a point get to it

Belle Nye, the sciencegal!
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:14:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If the earth was indeed hollow (it wouldn't be a vacuum it would have to be a gas) can you imagine the amazing amount of psi the of gas pressure? The earth could just let out one big cosmic fart and destroy itself!